• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2014 [Up4: PS4 #1, XB1 last week sales 2x last Jul week]

mrklaw

MrArseFace
3ds is 5 digits? what is Nintendo DOING with new 3ds? You need so much more than a stop gap! This is crisis mode come on

that *is* Nintendo in crisis mode. They will still wait for current stock to sell through, and then just release a warmed over 3DSi. They don't even care.

I didn't think we had any info on the 3DS number? Where's the 5-digit thing from? Not that it would surprise.

can you please not reply immediately after Y2Kev? Its really freaky :p

sörine

Banned
Well, 360 picked the crown in the last few years where the common price was 299 iirc.
I was wrong in consider the launch price of 360 as I was talking about "market leaders"
When 360 was at 399 the market leader was the wii (250).
My mistake, sorry
Wii is also a little problematic to use for price comparison as Nintendo was severely undercharging based on demand. Second hand Wiis were going for above MSRP, and resellers were getting away charging over PS4's MSRP in most cases too the first year. Nintendo likely could've priced it at $399 and still been chronically sold out.

XB1 is surely doing better than Wii U in Uk, but it's also true that Xbox One is doing AWFUL outside of UK, even more than Wii U. However, it has to be seen wheter, currently, Xbox One UK sales over Wii U are enough to overbalance Wii U sales over Xbox One outside of UK.

We've been over this, the UK is more than sufficient for the Xbox One to run over the Wii U across all of Europe (relatively.....lol).

especially because people really need to knock off the "Wii U is doing so much better in continental Europe than the Xbox One" talk, last time I checked it's really unlikely it's broken 100k in either France or Germany YTD

Definitely I thought they both would be over 200. What was the PS4 numbers sub 200 too?

There is likely a lull in August because people are anticipating the Destiny bundle. If I wanted to buy a PS4 in August, I know I would have just waited for the Destiny bundle. I am sure many others thought the same.

Ty4on

3DS is 5 digits??? so 95-99k right? riiiight??

:(

They're probably not far from that otherwise we would have gotten more info from the big drop like we did with the Vita. The lowest the 3DS has sold this year is 97k.

Edit: The sales were "dull" hence the slow reporting AFAIK.

We've been over this, the UK is more than sufficient for the Xbox One to run over the Wii U across all of Europe (relatively.....lol).

especially because people really need to knock off the "Wii U is doing so much better in continental Europe than the Xbox One" talk, last time I checked it's really unlikely it's broken 100k in either France or Germany YTD

Nintendo sold 350k WiiU consoles in Germany (compared to 170k Xbox One)

edit: Sry, you meant YTD

sörine

Banned

I'd say France is definitely over 100k ytd for Wii U. Jan to Apr was ~42k and there's almost no way May-Aug hasn't exceeded that on the back of Mario Kart.

DrWong

Fun.

Last Wii U French numbers, pre MK8 effect: 340K. It should have passed the 400K mark since then.

SmokyDave

3ds is 5 digits? what is Nintendo DOING with new 3ds? You need so much more than a stop gap! This is crisis mode come on
Changeable faceplates, man. That'll probably sell five million units alone. More if they make some collectable Pokemon ones with rare shiny cases.

phanphare

Banned
Even if it were 99K handhelds would still be down 86% over the previous gen (2008). Meanwhile, consoles are down 51% over the previous gen (2007). Tough month.

it's gonna be a tough gen all around in that regard. I don't ever compare the 3DS to the DS because damn, that's a depressing reality to see. I just hope that these contractions stabilize at some point and leave an audience big enough to warrant more products and games.

Changeable faceplates, man. That'll probably sell five million units alone. More if they make some collectable Pokemon ones with rare shiny cases.

you joke but those changeable faceplates are really enticing for me. I got the Zelda 3DS XL and every other limited edition that gets announced looks so cool but I ain't buying another console just to have the design. ::enter changeable faceplates stage right::

Well that was badly read fo my part. Thank you.

Changing the numbers:
PSP
FY04 2.97
FY05 14.06
FY06 8.36/9.53
FY07 13.89
FY08 14.11
FY09 9.9
FY10 8.0
FY11 6.8
PSP+PSV
FY12 7.0
FY13 4.1
FY14q1 0.75
Total PSP+PSV: 89.94/91.11
PSP FY04-11: 78.09/79.26
PSP+PSV FY12-14: 11.85
If PSP 76.3(Min.) -> PSV: 13.64/14.81
If PSP 78.09(FY04-11):->PSV: 11.85/13.02
If PSP 80(Max?) -> PSV: 9.94/11.11

Eeeh if FY11 is all PSP, how can it only be at 76.3 m? 78.09 seems to be last all PSP data included. This doesnt seem to affect on Vita WW LTD end results. Worst possible shipment is still 9.94. Hmm. Maybe PSP as sold even more than 80 m?

PSP sales FY06-FY11

Code:
Hardware Sales   Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr     FY       LTD

FY 2006/07        1.4      2.0      4.7      1.5      9.6      23.7 

FY 2007/08        2.1      2.5      5.7      3.5      13.8     37.5 

FY 2008/09        3.7      3.2      5.1      2.1      14.1     51.6 

FY 2009/10        1.3      3.0      4.2      1.4      9.9      61.5

FY 2010/11        1.2      1.5      3.6      1.7      8.0      69.5

FY 2011/12        1.8      1.7      2.4      0.9      6.8      76.3

In 18th August 2009 Sony issued a PR saying PSP sold 52.9m as of June 30, 2009 (FY09 Q1)

PSP sold 23.4m from FY09 Q2 to FY11 Q4.

23.4 + 52.9 + = 76.3m

At some point Sony changed their method of measuring sales from production units to recorded sales, this why numbers might seems off when you add pre-2007 sales to 2007+ sales.

For example here a FY06 slide showing that the PS3 sold 5.5m in FY06

iCyjYDNofTwY8.png

And here a FY07 slide showing it actually sold 3.61m in FY06

Nintendo sold 350k WiiU consoles in Germany (compared to 170k Xbox One)

not even gonna respond to this, you didn't read well

sörine;129648107 said:
I'd say France is definitely over 100k ytd for Wii U. Jan to Apr was ~42k and there's almost no way May-Aug hasn't exceeded that on the back of Mario Kart.

Fun.

Last Wii U French numbers, pre MK8 effect: 340K. It should have passed the 400K mark since then.

January-May 2014: 44k
June 2014: 20k
if it follows similar trends to the US (which it did when comparing June to the first 5 months), July+August~20k, even if it didn't it's incredibly unlikely it did another 36k across those two months

It is something we've already discussed, don't try and play coy here. No one said anything about "winning" anything, but you certainly didn't win if that's what you're implying. I did not write them off entirely AT ALL.

I simply stated that slightly superior multiplats are not the basis of what wins a console generation. When is the last time that the most powerful console "won" a generation because of that reason. It's hasn't happened yet for as long as I can remember.

I do think it will happen with the PS4 though of course, but there are many reasons why the PS4 is ahead and the power difference is not one of the major reasons. It's amplified because of the other things that make the PS4 a more popular console.

The PS2 didn't lose because it was weaker than Xbox and GameCube. The PSX didn't lose because it was weaker than N64. The 360 wasn't bought just because of the multi platform superiority.(even though it can be argued that the PS3 was actually was stronger for games most notably the exclusives and the Wii actually "won" the generation)

These things do play a role, but are not the most important things in a console generation. Exclusives, where friends are playing, controller preference and so much more play a greater role in what happens in a console generation.

The DRM fiasco and poor PR are examples of things that have mattered more than the hardware difference in this generation as well.

Make a prediction for November. It is clear where you stand, but you lack conviction to make a simple prediction. Or maybe you realize deepdown that your arguments are a little too One sided to hold much weight?

I've been reading your arguments and the counter arguments for the last several pages. Produce thy huevos and make a prediction already!

SDCowboy

People saying they thought the PS4 would be over 200 need to remember the white ps4 sales don't count until September. The August PS4 sales/orders were probably well over 200k for August in actuality.

sörine

Banned
Dave, I've decided I'm going to get a Vita and import a 64GB card as soon as SCEA offers a non-bundled 2000. I've been itching for a Grandia replay and there are a bunch of late PSP releases I missed out on too, plus Vita stuff like Dragon's Crown and Ys Celceta. :)

Lol, these European numbers for the systems are all over the place, in terms of both time frame and number sold...

There's also this:
We have for WiiU in France:
120k in 2012
176k in 2013
340k LTD as of June
So that leaves 44k in 2014.

As of May 2014 there are 1M PS4/XB1/WiiU in France.
So roughly 660k PS4+XB1, with 366k being sold in 2013, that leaves 294k PS4+XB1 in 2014.

And then given the 0.69M figure from the SELL, that would be ~0.35 3DS+PSV sold in 2014 (with most of that being 3DS, I guess).

Which is it? 42K Jan-Apr. 44K Jan-May. Or 44K Jan-Jun?

Germany was 160K through Sept 2013, according to BrunoMB. And at 350K, that leaves 190K for the last 3 quarters through June. XBO 170K since launch through June.

Lol, these European numbers for the systems are all over the place, in terms of both time frame and number sold...

There's also this:

Which is it? 42K Jan-Apr. 44K Jan-May. Or 44K Jan-Jun?

44k Jan-May is the correct figure (along with 20k in June), there were two sources, the first saying Wii U LTD was 340k after May and the 2nd saying 360k LTD after June (I think?)

Make a prediction for November. It is clear where you stand, but you lack conviction to make a simple prediction. Or maybe you realize deepdown that your arguments are a little too One sided to hold much weight?

I've been reading your arguments and the counter arguments for the last several pages. Produce thy huevos and make a prediction already!

Nope that's not the case at all. I will have a prediction when it is closer to November and it's a little clearer how things are shaping out in regards to how well each console will do.

There are so many things that can change from now to then and I have to see more evidence on retailer charts closer to November on whether current trends will continue or not continue. For example, the XB1 version of CoD has been by far outselling the PS4 version. However, as users like @SwiftDeath have pointed out, the real hype train has not started for this game yet so we can't definitively make a call on that before late October.

The quality of AW will also affect whether or not many upgrade to current gen. If it's a great game perhaps many will do so, but if it is another subpar game like Ghosts, this will not happen at a like ratio.

Sunset Overdrive is an unknown quantity. If it is a great game then the bundle will do better than if it was a mediocre game that just came with the new white xbox one. The Halo MCC hype machine has not really kicked in yet either so I have to see more on that. The potential PS4 GTA V bundle is another factor. It doesn't seem like there will be one yet, but it's possible.

The quality of the PS4 exclusives like DRIVECLUB and LBP3 also remain to be seen just like with Sunset. We're not really sure what Sony is doing in terms of deals or Bundles either.

It has nothing to do with "conviction", I'm just not blind and won't make rash predictions.

sörine

Banned
January-May 2014: 44k
June 2014: 20k
if it follows similar trends to the US (which it did when comparing June to the first 5 months), July+August~20k, even if it didn't it's incredibly unlikely it did another 36k across those two months
20k was for MK8's first week, not first month. In fact the figure was reported June 4th.

Likewise the 340k figure didn't include at the very least the last week of May as it was reported May 22nd. It didn't specify a date, it was only "until now" and we can't be sure exactly when the interview was conducted ("a few weeks before E3").

sörine;129650198 said:
20k was for MK8's first week, not first month. In fact the figure was reported June 4th.

Likewise the 340k figure didn't include at the very least the last week of May as it was reported May 22nd. It didn't specify a date, it was only "until now" and we can't be sure exactly when the interview was conducted ("a few weeks before E3").

That would probably be because there are two sources from different time periods that somehow have the same numbers.....get it together France

edit: surprise surprise, I traced marc^o^'s "20k first week" claims and it's anything but that, given that the figure came out near the end of June: http://www.lepoint.fr/jeux-video/jeux-video-que-veulent-les-francais-27-06-2014-1841135_485.php

PSP sales FY06-FY11

Code:
Hardware Sales   Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr     FY       LTD

FY 2006/07        1.4      2.0      4.7      1.5      9.6      23.7 

FY 2007/08        2.1      2.5      5.7      3.5      13.8     37.5 

FY 2008/09        3.7      3.2      5.1      2.1      14.1     51.6 

FY 2009/10        1.3      3.0      4.2      1.4      9.9      61.5

FY 2010/11        1.2      1.5      3.6      1.7      8.0      69.5

FY 2011/12        1.8      1.7      2.4      0.9      6.8      76.3

In 18th August 2009 Sony issued a PR saying PSP sold 52.9m as of June 30, 2009 (FY09 Q1)

PSP sold 23.4m from FY09 Q2 to FY11 Q4.

23.4 + 52.9 + = 76.3m

At some point Sony changed their method of measuring sales from production units to recorded sales, this why numbers might seems off when you add pre-2007 sales to 2007+ sales.

For example here a FY06 slide showing that the PS3 sold 5.5m in FY06

And here a FY07 slide showing it actually sold 3.61m in FY06

So numbers are off with PSP FY04-06? That could explain it. I saw usage of different data for FY06, but not FY04-05.

Even more data changing:
PSP FY04-11: 76.3
PSP+PSV FY12-14q1: 11.85
Total PSP+PSV: 88.15
If PSP sold 76.3 -> PSV: 11,85(Yeah, no. PSP definately sold+shipped more than 76.3)
If PSP sold 78.09 -> PSV: 10,09
If PSP sold 80 -> PSV: 8.15

That last one seems low. I guess we finally have proper Vita numbers then, haha.
T_T

sörine

Banned
That would probably be because there are two sources from different time periods that somehow have the same numbers.....get it together France
The first figure I'm using came direct from a Nintendo rep.

Wii U @340k a few weeks before E3: http://www.lefigaro.fr/secteur/high...kart-8-va-relancer-les-ventes-de-la-wii-u.php

The second came from a retailer leak, though it was also an estimation so may be less concrete.

Wii U sold 20k in MK8's 1st week: http://www.gameblog.fr/news/43423-france-mario-kart-8-booste-la-wii-u-nous-avons-les-chiffres

If the second is accurate Wii U would've sold 64k to 70k through June 4th, which would make over 100k ytd more likely than not. I'm iffy on that leak though so if you have something more certain we can definitely go with that.

Mr Swine

Banned
Gosh darn Sony has never updated truly on Vita LTD sales, not even shipments. Hmph. I tried to count what it would be using Sonys quarterly results page numbers.

PSP
FY04 2.97
FY05 14.06
FY06 8.36/9.53
FY07 13.89
FY08 14.11
FY09 9.9
FY10 8.0
PSP+PSV
FY11 6.8
FY12 7.0
FY13 4.1
FY14q1 0.75
PSP est. 76-80
PSP FY04-10: 71.29/72.46
PSP+PSV FY11-14: 18.65
If PSP 76 -> PSV: 13.94/15.11
If PSP 80 -> PSV: 9.94/11.11

For some reason Sony has 2 different numbers for FY06 results which is weird... so I just used both. And yes this includes PSTV since those count for Vita sales in Japan. So at worst WW LTD shipments is about 9.94 m. Quite a lot actually. Did I do counting mistake anywhere? Or is this too off-topic?

Has Vita sold that much despite it not selling so well in the US (and probably Europe)?

Popnbake

I've had parents ask about the Amiibos at work and be interested in the figures only to get turned off when they found out it wouldn't be like Skylanders or Infinity. Nintendo is wasting a good opportunity not having their own figure game come out.

They probably wanted to differentiate from the already popular Skylanders and Infinity toys as much as possible.

Parents will need to be convinced to buy a completely new gaming system just to use Amiibos this year.

So promoting them as figures that can be used for multiple games as opposed to just one could be more appealing than having yet another Skylander/Infinity to invest in.

sörine;129652970 said:
The first figure I'm using came direct from a Nintendo rep.

Wii U @340k a few weeks before E3: http://www.lefigaro.fr/secteur/high...kart-8-va-relancer-les-ventes-de-la-wii-u.php

The second came from a retailer leak, though it was also an estimation so may be less concrete.

Wii U sold 20k in MK8's 1st week: http://www.gameblog.fr/news/43423-france-mario-kart-8-booste-la-wii-u-nous-avons-les-chiffres

If the second is accurate Wii U would've sold 64k to 70k through June 4th, which would make over 100k ytd more likely than not. I'm iffy on that leak though so if you have something more certain we can definitely go with that.

This article, being the only article to actually claim 360k LTD and coming late in June, is what I was going with (it also says that Xbox One is tracking 76% higher than 360 up to that point, so if we have 360 numbers at the time we could reverse engineer XB1 here), then again these interviews and their not confirming specific dates.

sörine

Banned
edit: surprise surprise, I traced marc^o^'s "20k first week" claims and it's anything but that, given that the figure came out near the end of June: http://www.lepoint.fr/jeux-video/jeux-video-que-veulent-les-francais-27-06-2014-1841135_485.php

This article, being the only article to actually claim 360k LTD and coming late in June, is what I was going with (it also says that Xbox One is tracking 76% higher than 360 up to that point, so if we have 360 numbers at the time we could reverse engineer XB1 here), then again these interviews and their not confirming specific dates.

Okay this is better, 20k seemed shockingly high for one week. Going from let's say 340k in mid-ish May to 360k in mid-ish June squares well with MK8 quadrupling hardware for a couple weeks (2.5k weekly to 20k in 2 weeks). It does make 100k ytd more of a stretch but not impossible.

Your link also clarifies that Wii U is firmly in second place in France (1m next gen consoles sold and 360k being Wii U) and that 1 in 5 consoles sold overall is a Wii U.

Has Vita sold that much despite it not selling so well in the US (and probably Europe)?

Eeeh those were used with bit wrong data. Thanks to help, more accurate is 8.15-11.85 m depending on how much PSP has sold. And even then this is shipment data.

PSV LTDs that are known:

Japan 3.1-3.2 m
USA 1.8-1.9 m
Total 4.9-5.1m

Who knows what RotW is. :/

Still higher than Wii U LTDs in USA+Japan :v

SmokyDave

sörine;129648704 said:
Dave, I've decided I'm going to get a Vita and import a 64GB card as soon as SCEA offers a non-bundled 2000. I've been itching for a Grandia replay and there are a bunch of late PSP releases I missed out on too, plus Vita stuff like Dragon's Crown and Ys Celceta. :)
This post reads like a big, yet not awkward, hug. I warmly return your hug and look forward to reading your impressions at a later date :)

Top Bottom