• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

kenta

Has no PEINS
Wow, really disappointing numbers for Wii and PS3. Surprisingly good numbers for PS2 and PSP though, and surprisingly deceptive numbers for DS. You'd think a nationwide sellout would net more than that.

jett

D-Member
Holy crap at PS3 sales...that's some low shit. :| I think we can say the B word now.

PSP sales are surprisingly huge, and the DS didn't really break any records...heh, the only fanboy faction that's truly happy are xbox fans. :p Seems like Odysseus isn't getting banned though!

Branduil

The systems in ample supply more or less followed form for Dec.: they all sold a little more than 2x November, which is to be expected with the extra week. The DS was almost certainly supply constricted, it could have easily hit 2 million if it had the supply.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
After all the hype, Nintendo is the clear loser of the holiday season when it comes to the next-gen wars.

They undershipped on what was basically a GC 1.5.

They had some momentum, they had the mainstream attention and they blew it. Now the PS3 will have a much easier time overtaking the Wii throughout the course of this year.

Hunter D

I wonder what poeple have to say after this recent NPD. I remember people saying GeOW would only sell half a million during the holiday and that RFOM would be close to having a 1:1 attach ratio.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
graph.jpg

Haunted

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
In fact the problem is not Nintendo: is an analyst named Patcher. Is it possible to make an estimation of 1.3 millions with a mistake of 600k ? I don't really understand that.

Great, Great sales for Yoshi's Island II and New Super Mario Bros.
His name is Pachter, not Patcher. And I think he's up for some crow eating. :) Don't trust Wedbush Morgan numbers from now on, I guess.

Christopher

Leonsito said:
Ok..

DS>PSP
Wii>PS3

But gaffers say: Nintendo am cry, Sony am laugh.

forgetting the PS2 are we?

I def gotta get a PSP if sales remain strong for it, I was hesitant about support for it due to all the "doomed" talks for it.

Branduil

Cerrius said:
After all the hype, Nintendo is the the clear loser of the holiday season when it comes to the next-gen wars.

They had some momentum, they had the mainstream attention and they blew it. Now the PS3 will have a much easier time overtaking the Wii throughout the course of this year.

:lol You guys are hilarious.

Jagernaut

VALIS said:
Seems pretty likely by now that 360 will win North America. 1.1 million at $400 (mostly) is incredible given how poorly other expensive video game stuff is selling.

Xb360 had a lot of special deals in December though, free games, controllers and Toysrus's $100 gift card. I can't recall any other console (that wasn't being closed out) that had so many deals fcr the holidays. With the Wii and PS3 shortages, i don't think the sales are that impressive.

mm04

Wow at those Wii numbers...well that explains why I couldn't damn find one for my nephews and niece.

mm04

Leonsito

Christopher said:
forgetting the PS2 are we?

I def gotta get a PSP if sales remain strong for it, I was hesitant about support for it due to all the "doomed" talks for it.

PS2 won his war by a landslide years ago, PSP and PS3 are the machines Sony should worry about.

Wow, Gears was the hottest selling game of the year by a mile - only PS2 Madden and New Super Mario are ahead of it, and those both came out months ago.

GhaleonEB

heidern said:
Shit man, that's just outright cruel :lol :lol
Most months I'd agree, but there's plenty to chew on here! I thought this would be predictable, but damn....lots of interesting stuff.

Gears of War is a monster. 1.8m in two months. Jesus.

Krowley

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I couldn't hazard a guess, but I'm not buying the cop out excuse of supply constraint. It is essentially old hardware so it shouldn't be that hard to manufacture. The PS3 and Wii simply didn't sell as well as expected, end of story.

Supply constrained simply means it's sold out... and it is, there's no denying it.

Obviously if they shipped such small numbers, that's part of the problem. And i agree that they should be able to ship more.

KTallguy

Banned
Well hey guys? What's going on in here?

Did anyone else notice that GAF had a Server Error 500 when this thread hit? :lol

Oh and yes, the numbers are interesting.

Very interesting.

One thing is for sure, Gears really deserved to sell. I'm glad those guys at Epic are being rewarded for all their hard work. I remember Unreal 1 guys!! :)

Jammy

Banned
sonycowboy, we can do requests, right? If so, how much did Red Steel do in December? And Trauma Center Wii if you can squeeze that in. I heard that it sold ~45,000 in November, and I'm sure Atlus would be happy if they got a strong December as well.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Cerrius said:
After all the hype, Nintendo is the the clear loser of the holiday season when it comes to the next-gen wars.

This would look a lot less like trolling and a lot more like actual analysis if you didn't include the "GC 1.5" dig. That shit is "...so 2006." Get with the program chump.

Xavien

Nintendo should really buy some more factories, they are having severe supply problems at the moment and it shows... badly.

come on Nintendo! DS sales for a single month would pay for like 3 factories!

----

Banned
Guitar Hero 2 = OMFG WTF?!?

Guitar Hero 2 suddenly looks like the most important game coming out Xbox 360 in the first half of the year.

B000I4JIK6.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38855690_.jpg

1167957311.jpg

argon

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
In fact the problem is not Nintendo: is an analyst named Patcher. Is it possible to make an estimation of 1.3 millions with a mistake of 600k ? I don't really understand that.

Actually, the actual prediction was:

Michael Pachter said:
"This implies that each company likely shipped at the low end of their guidance range (Sony’s guidance was 1.0 - 1.2 million cumulative units to North America by year end, while Nintendo’s guidance was for worldwide shipments of 4 million by year end)."

He was right on in choosing the low end of each company's estimates. Problem is, both companies missed their own guidance. Not Pachter's fault.

Striek

Haunted_One said:
I don't see anyone disappointed at handheld sales in general and DS sales in particular.
I am. PSP and GBA dropped off a cliff and the DS may be up over last year, but its nowhere near expectations (or old GBA levels). I actually thought Nintendo might have had their best handheld season ever with the two combined, and with the PSP handhelds might've outsold the consoles :p

ksamedi

Being a gamecube 1.5 doesnt mean your easy to manufacture, it doesnt use the same cube chips, it also has new components not existent in the cube. Nintendo probably shipped 3 million WW instead of 4, which is still a good number but not what GAF expected.

VALIS

Jagernaut said:
Xb360 had a lot of special deals in December though, free games, controllers and Toysrus's $100 gift card. I can't recall any other console (that wasn't being closed out) that had so many deals fcr the holidays. With the Wii and PS3 shortages, i don't think the sales are that impressive.

You don't think they're impressive? I don't think a console costing over $300 ever sold that many in one month. It's record setting.

argon said:
Actually, the actual quote from Pachter was:

He was right on in choosing the low end of their guidance range. Problem is, it seems both companies missed their own guidance. Not Pachter's fault.

Go on GameDaily to read what he said: 1.2 millions for the Xbox360 and 1.3 millions for the Wii. He has to change Job.

RaijinFY

Striek said:
I am. PSP and GBA dropped off a cliff and the DS may be up over last year, but its nowhere near expectations (or old GBA levels). I actually thought Nintendo might have had their best handheld season ever with the two combined, and with the PSP handhelds might've outsold the consoles :p

Can you just tell why PSP dropped off a cliff when last year, it sold 1.1M??? That's only 150k less dude, get your data right... :p

Top Bottom