• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

SykoTech

Wow, really? So...

Wii U - one of the 2 biggest games it's ever going to get : Last
Xbone - $100 price cut month : 2nd Place
PS4 - nothing : 1st

Welp, looks like things are pretty much decided.

Bgamer90

Banned
Throw titanfall and a new SKU/100 dollar price drop in the bushes for now, the real savior all along was a remake.

Letting the thought of an XB1 comback go makes more sense then letting it all ride on a collection of Halo everyone's played before.

Highly doubt anyone is saying a "comeback". The gap is too big for the Xbox One to get the #1 spot in US anytime soon. I do think it's possible for the system to do better than the PS4 in November/December in the US in part due to MCC (especially if it gets a bundle) but not saying it's guaranteed.

It's not just the remake that's causing me (and others) to say this... It's the fact that the remake is coming out at a time in which consoles sales greatly increase.

Bowler

Of course GAF rushes immediately to unfounded conclusions. We haven't even gotten the full numbers yet, and the consoles haven’t even been out a full year, and yet GAF is still ready to proclaim this generation's winner.

I’m not dismissing raw sales numbers. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the sales delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are absolute sales numbers for XBO not fully understood, and there are things about PS4 numbers as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest game developers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED Halo, the standard console FPS that everyone else has been apeing for years. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think MS don’t know how to build a game optimized for maximizing console sales? Seriously? There is no way they're giving up a 30%+ sales advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has been involved in an Online console warz discussion could say there is a sizable number of fans for both systems. If there was really a huge installed base difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony fans claim more sales for their system, they did it with the PS3, saying last year it had surpassed the 360 worldwide, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, console sales for Microsoft's system ended up the same or better.

I’m not saying Sony haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ sales advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

Holy shit

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Of course GAF rushes immediately to unfounded conclusions. We haven't even gotten the full numbers yet, and the consoles haven’t even been out a full year, and yet GAF is still ready to proclaim this generation's winner.

I’m not dismissing raw sales numbers. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the sales delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are absolute sales numbers for XBO not fully understood, and there are things about PS4 numbers as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest game developers IN THE WORLD. They CREATED Halo, the standard console FPS that everyone else has been apeing for years. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think MS don’t know how to build a game optimized for maximizing console sales? Seriously? There is no way they're giving up a 30%+ sales advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has been involved in an Online console warz discussion could say there is a sizable number of fans for both systems. If there was really a huge installed base difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony fans claim more sales for their system, they did it with the PS3, saying last year it had surpassed the 360 worldwide, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, console sales for Microsoft's system ended up the same or better.

I’m not saying Sony haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ sales advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…
For people that don't realise this guy is mocking an Albert Penello post. And it's damn good.

4Hv5RWr.jpg

C4Lukins

yeah that's actually another good call too. I was going with MK8 because it's already had a solid release, will continue to sell, and see a (hopefully) nice holiday bump. Halo collection could have an amazing opening but still not be able to make up for the lost time.

TLoU is another good call in that regard

I don't see it man. Mario Kart will almost definitely be over 1 million by the time the Halo collection launches (probably more) and it will see another significant bump for the holidays.

I am not gonna go out on a limb here. I think it will be close. Destiny could fuck it up for Halo though. There is nothing similar on Wii U that is going distract buyers from Mario Kart. Which will have a 6 month lead. But I will stand by it. I think Halo will win in the end.
By at least 36 copies.

rokkerkory

To me:

PS4: Great sales
Wii U: Decent to good sales, bonus of better s/w sales
X1: Decent to good sales

= good for industry, hope this trend continues.

Mooreberg

Wow, really? So...

Wii U - one of the 2 biggest games it's ever going to get : Last
Xbone - $100 price cut month : 2nd Place
PS4 - nothing : 1st

Welp, looks like things are pretty much decided.
Being the platform for big third party games is working out for Sony.

Sarobi

Banned

shaq.gif

Xando

Huh dat penello cameo

Ascenion

Hot damn Nintendo! Great to see a little recovery. Hope it continues. Xbox One still not looking good with mind share continuing to be the problem imo. I really don't know if MS can turn it around this year especially with Wii U getting Smash and PS4 just killing it with Destiny lookin like a system seller and LBP3 on the horizon. MCC will be big though but I don't think they'll win November.

GamerJM

Banned

can someone please tell me what this is a reference to

nod-of-approval.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
You can't have a civil discussion why? Sky high fantasies please explain. Your fan boy post history explains it quite well. We aren't a year in yet, everyone is an early adapter. If you think this amount of time is enough to predict 10 years....can I have tomorrow's lottery numbers?

Come on. No-one could have written that paragraph of yours with a straight face.

You're pulling my leg, aren't you? :)

The PS4 is this generation's Xbox 360, and the Xbox One is this generations' PS3. That's how I look at it. In the beginning the Negativity held the PS3 down for the first two years, if not more. I don't think you'll miss out on this generation with either console.

Eventually the PS3 won the hearts of the NeoGAF collective after being absolutely demonized for the first two years, far worse than the Xbox One.

We will simply have to give it time and play it by ear.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD. This is why I come on GAF.

Beautiful. ;_;

Don't really understand what you mean... Wii U isn't even in the picture and in terms of multiplats (since you brought it up), the Xbox One definitely isn't anywhere close to the same streak of low selling multiplats as the Wii U was.

Xbone multiplats are routinely outsold by 360 and PS3 versions of the games. That's what we're talking about.

RexNovis

Banned
Halo Anniversary came out without it's original multiplayer, good (but not great reviews), and a much smaller scope.

The MCC is Microsoft's BIG game of the fall, with a huge scope, budget, and advertising push.

Define what you think is "significant", because I can guarantee that MCC is going to sell more than any other first party game (on any console) this year, and do at about 2.5-3 million in 2014 (month and a half) alone. That is significant.

Umm it's remake dude. Remakes don't have "huge budgets" by virtue of being remakes. The games were already they are being ported to a new platform. That process doesn't exactly break the bank. But keep on keeping on man. I'm sure it will work out for you at some point.

damisa

Being the platform for big third party games is working out for Sony.

Being the main platform for big third party games is the most important thing any platform holder can do to be successful. More than most powerful, more than cheapest, more than exclusives.

bebop242

The PS4 is this generation's Xbox 360, and the Xbox One is this generations' PS3. That's how I look at it. In the beginning the Negativity held the PS3 down for the first two years, if not more. I don't think you'll miss out on this generation with either console.

Eventually the PS3 won the hearts of the NeoGAF collective after being absolutely demonized for the first two years, far worse than the Xbox One.

We will simply have to give it time and play it by ear.

I wasn't around during ps3 launch, is this true?

Top Bottom