• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

GAF never estimated 4.5m... the consensus at time was below that number... 4.2m was the most agreed numbers in the thread.

Your wrong, and in a post on the last page I talked about 4.2 anyway and the claim still did not make sense. But selective reading made you miss that post.

Shiggy

Bad GAF estimates if it really happened because the consensus at time was 4.0-4.2m.

My maths.

US End of 2013: 1,817k
WW End of 2013: 3,000k

US = 60%

I will use the same launch ratio but I believe the sales in EU have a even big drop compared with US... so the US ratio increased maybe to close 62% or 63%... I don't know 65%? The drop after launch was real.

US End of March 2014: 2,527k
WW End of March 2014: 4,211k

US End of June 2014: 2,916k
WW End of June 2014: 4,860k

Any reasonable person you see XB1 sales are below 5 million yet and in March it was not close to 4.5m either.

If the US ratio increased to 65% then the sales are 3,887k for March and 4,486k end of June... the 5 million shipped was just to fool you guys... they are working with store inventory already shipped.

Just quoted for the new page...

Steroyd

GAF never estimated 4.5m... the consensus at time was below that number... 4.2m was the most agreed numbers in the thread.

If I recall that was Gaf's estimate in the absolute best case scenario that MS's worldwide sales kept to the US maintaining a 60% sales ratio.

It was certainly an optimistic view for the Xbox One in Europe to say the least.

ethomaz

Banned
For the record, the 1.1m/0.7m split I used is 61% US, because I don't think the ratio has gone up that much.

either way, the idea that it's somehow over 5 million right now is absurd, but 4.5 million is crazy too
61% give you 4.78m... that was close to the launch ratio... I believe (just guesstimates of course) after launch EU took a big % drop in sales than US... so the ratio increased a little... 63% put it below 4.5m already.

Edit - I was using LTD ratio here... sorry my mistake... the last part is false.

I mean Tuesday will prove im right. Over 5 million is in stone. Thinking Xbox only sold 1.5 million since 2014 to present with towards 2 million unsold on shelves is mad silly.

61% give you 4.78m... that was close to the launch ratio... I believe (just guesstimates of course) after launch EU took a big % drop in sales than US... so the ratio increased a little... 63% put it below 4.5m already.

Wait are we talking about LTD ratio or YTD ratio, because the latter has to be 73% for it to be under 4.5m.

If they say 6 million shipped or more it will police your prediction is invalid because to be at 3.5 then they would have ti gave toward 2 million consoles on shelves.

Look up a few posts. Estimates put it around 4.8 million sold worldwide. 6 - 4.8 = 1.2. That would mean approximately 1.2 million sitting on store shelves (or somewhere along the distribution chain) which isn't crazy since there were 900k~ in the same spot at the end of 2013 (3.9 million shipped, 3.0 million sold to consumers.)

If they say 6 million shipped or more it will police your prediction is invalid because to be at 3.5 then they would have ti gave toward 2 million consoles on shelves.
It doesn't matter if they say they shipped a billion. They have only reported actual sales of 3 million. There is a reason the PR switched to reporting shipped instead.

Shiggy

I'm not sure why you keep on making such claims. Before you said that GAF estimated X1 to have sold 4.5 million units by the end of March and you also said that I was saying it is at that number now. Now you bring up that others say it only sold 3.5 million by now, a claim nobody has made on here.

I mean Tuesday will prove im right. Over 5 million is in stone. Thinking Xbox only sold 1.5 million since 2014 to present with towards 2 million unsold on shelves is mad silly.
If you bothered to live in actual europe (not UK) you'd see millions XB1's on european shelves still unsold. If I was a retailer, I'd consider not restocking xbox consoles.

Raist

Banned

Dear lord. I said "for all you now they sold through 3.5M back when they announced 5M shipped in April". That doesn't mean they only did, let alone as of today.
But all the actual numbers I've quoted point at them not being anywhere neat 5M as of now.

ethomaz

Banned
6 million shipped will support the ~4.8m sold IMO.

To 6 million they needs 900k shipped this quarter but I guess they will ship less...

6 million?! How many do you think they have sold (sold) outside the US? Are you thinking 3 million in the US and 2 million outside the US?

Mad silly is thinking they sold the same outside of US as they did inside in 2014.

6 million?! How many do you think they have sold (sold) outside the US? Are you thinking 3 million in the US and 2 million outside the US?

Mad silly is thinking they sold the same outside of US as they did inside in 2014.

Your thinking sold. I said 6 million shipped. You guys are going so mad words are changing lol. Lets calm down.

Steroyd

Put it into perspective that at the end of 2013 MS sold 3 million consoles and shipped 3.9, that's already 900k of consoles in the channels and sitting on shelves, having toward 2 million console's on shelves doesn't sound that preposterous when you think about retailers discounting the crap out of the console, and the Kinect bundle having such better deals over the kinectless model that it's not even funny.

Your thinking sold. I said 6 million shipped. You guys are going so mad words are changing lol. Lets calm down.

I'm not thinking sold. I'm thinking that to hit 6 million they'd have to ship almost 1 million kinectless boxes, as they were still getting through all their Titanfall bundles from the last quarter. Once those started running out, there were also the old non-Titanfall boxes to sell.

Please not that last quarter most people seemed sceptical of them hitting 5 million, but I was arguing that they could because of the Titanfall bundle. But this time around, I don't see it.

I'm not sure why you keep on making such claims. Before you said that GAF estimated X1 to have sold 4.5 million units by the end of March and you also said that I was saying it is at that number now. Now you bring up that others say it only sold 3.5 million by now, a claim nobody has made on here.

Your misread quotes and a guy did claim 3.5, he clarified on this page though.

Put it into perspective that at the end of 2013 MS sold 3 million consoles and shipped 3.9, that's already 900k of consoles in the channels and sitting on shelves, having toward 2 million console's on shelves doesn't sound that preposterous when you think about retailers discounting the crap out of the console, and the Kinect bundle having such better deals over the kinectless model that it's not even funny.

I would agree with this if ms shipped to Europe what it did to NA.

Raist

Banned
Ehre's a list of actual numbers for the XB1:

US 1.8M (2013)
US 1.1M (2014)
That's a 40% decline.

UK 364k (2013)
FRA 126k (2013)
GER 100k (2013)
SPA 35k (2013)

Total 625k

Assuming the same decline (it likely is worse), that's 375k for these countries in 2014.
That would be 3.9M in the very best case. Likely lower.

Missing Italy (Ubisoft projecting 150k by the end of 2014 so it surely isn't a huge number by now), Canada (traditionally 10% of the US market - let's say 300k), Australia (75k launch week-end).
New Zealand, Mexico, Brazil, Ireland, Austria are left, and they aren't gonna add up to hundreds of thousands.

Shiggy

Your misread quotes and a guy did claim 3.5, he clarified on this page though.

I didn't misread anything and I'm still waiting for your link to the UK numbers as well as a link to the GAF consensus estimate of 4.5 mio by the end of March. Tired of you spitting out numbers without any sources.

If you bothered to live in actual europe (not UK) you'd see millions XB1's on european shelves still unsold. If I was a retailer, I'd consider not restocking xbox consoles.

Millions? What is "actual" Europe?

And believe me, retailers won't stock something for long unless it's selling or they're getting paid.

I didn't misread anything and I'm still waiting for your link to the UK numbers as well as a link to the GAF consensus estimate of 4.5 mio by the end of March. Tired of you spitting out numbers without any sources.

Other people mentioned it, not my fault you ignored them.

Darksol

This stopped being funny a long time ago. I think I'll go back to Destiny and see if that poster moves the goalpost when Tuesday rolls around.

For the millionth time MS shipping 6 million doesn't disprove that they have only sold 4.7 million or so.

There is a reason why MS hasn't provided sell through numbers and why Sony has.

Your wrong, and in a post on the last page I talked about 4.2 anyway and the claim still did not make sense. But selective reading made you miss that post.

4.2M was the absolute best case scenario when MS announced 5M shipped

From the original thread after MS announced that over 3 months ago

So I'll try my hand at estimating XB1 WW LTD based on previously released numbers thus will rely on some terrible assumptions I'm afraid

Xbox One: over 3 million sold to consumers in 2013

XB1 US LTD in 2013 = 909,132 [Nov. NPD] + 908,000 [Dec. NPD] = 1,817,132 units sold

1817/3000 = 0.6057 -> XB1 US sales for 2013 accounted for 60.57% of its WW sales

Thus with the new XB1 US LTD = 2,527,132

2527*(1/.6057) = 4172.26 -> Thus XB1 US LTD suggests XB1 WW LTD of 4,172,260

*Note I strongly feel that the XB1 sold better at launch in the rest of the world than it is currently doing since the last official WW sell-through number was given hence it is likely more than 60.57% of XB1 WW LTD sales are in the US

For instance if that number was now 65% [Less than 4% more than launch ratios], XB1 WW LTD would be 2527*(1/.65) = 3887.69 -> XB1 WW LTD of 3,887,690

I seriously think there's a decent chance XB1 WW LTD could be under 4M right now which is crazy

*Note* This is an estimate for up until the end of March techinically

Er SwiftDeath XB1 being under 4 million after March would require US to be >71% of sales in those 3 months.

Anyway is MS really going to keep a ~1 million overhead again? I hope not, it's getting annoying.

Ok, if you cannot provide a source I need to assume that you made it up. If that's the way you attempt a discussion, you will enjoy a very short stay on NeoGAF.

No one has an issue finding it but you. Already mentioned im on a phone all you need to do is go back on page.

Er SwiftDeath XB1 being under 4 million after March would require US to be >71% of sales in those 3 months.

Anyway is MS really going to keep a ~1 million overhead again? I hope not, it's getting annoying.

Just realized that. Was a very old estimate anyways but 4.5 was never a consensus was my point

Much better to use YTD for XB1 than extrapolate YTD WW and add it to XB1 total

That puts 4.2M as the logical estimate at the end of march then

710k = XB1 US YTD for end of March -> 710/.61 = 1164k

3M + 1.164M ~ 4.164M as of end of March WW

Millions? What is "actual" Europe?

And believe me, retailers won't stock something for long unless it's selling or they're getting paid.

I believe there is unsold stock in Europe but after last financial report I don't think they shipped enough for their to be 2 million on shelves. Remember, they said they were cutting regular sku shipments.

So I was just looking at Wii sales on Wikipedia and is this correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_sales

The Wii sold 20 million consoles (WW) in one year?

EDIT:

Nintendo sold +20 million consoles every year for 3 years? Yeah, PS4 is definitely not gonna sell (let alone outsell) the Wii at that rate.
In all fairness, Wii's first 4 years were stellar, but after 2010 Nintendo stopped...you know...actually making mass-market games for the thing, and sales fell off a cliff. I think 2006-2010 the Wii hit 75 or 80m, and then from 2010-2013 it went past 100m and then kinda stopped.

PS4 won't have the same pace as the Wii did during its first four years. However, the PS1, PS2, and PS3 have all sold progressively better from one year to the next for the first 5-6 years of the console's lifespan and then begins to taper off a bit. PS4 very well may outsell Wii when all is said and done, especially since PS4 is going to have a lot less competition this gen compared to how things were last gen.

Steroyd

I would agree with this if ms shipped to Europe what it did to NA.

What do you think the shipping split would be worldwide?

We know MS shipped 3.9m at the end of 2013, we know MS had shipped 5m units by April, so that's 1.1m units shipped between Jan - Mar. Thanks to NPD we know that MS has sold 1.1m units to consumers so far for the year in the US (Jan - Jun), so if MS announces 6 millions units shipped for this quarter for example Europe would have to be selling around 300k in the same timeframe for there to not be lots of excess stock.

Nintendo really had no other moves to keep going after 2011. I mean they threw out another Wii sports, but for their other leading games other companies put out like 50 clones. Some argue they could have done SF and Fzero but how much would those have honestly sold?
In all fairness, Wii's first 4 years were stellar, but after 2010 Nintendo stopped...you know...actually making mass-market games for the thing, and sales fell off a cliff. I think 2006-2010 the Wii hit 75 or 80m, and then from 2010-2013 it went past 100m and then kinda stopped.

PS4 won't have the same pace as the Wii did during its first four years. However, the PS1, PS2, and PS3 have all sold progressively better from one year to the next for the first 5-6 years of the console's lifespan and then begins to taper off a bit. PS4 very well may outsell Wii when all is said and done, especially since PS4 is going to have a lot less competition this gen compared to how things were last gen.

StevieP

Banned

The ps4 is appealing to the types of people that purchased 80 odd million consoles in 8 years at the moment, thanks to its software focus. I find it highly suspect that anyone should claim it will sell to market segments that lead the ps1, ps2, Ds, Wii, etc to massive sales that vaulted them to the mass market successes they were.

Top Bottom