• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2009

WinFonda

Killzone 2 sells 600k+ in NA and it's a failure.. on on GAF :lol

Also, since it probably needs to be said: KZ2 worldwide > Halo Wars worldwide.

RpgN

Eric WK said:
:lol

Nice way of making a bad situation look even worse.

Uhm...95% of trolls did say "TEH KZ2 WON'T CHART IN THE TOP 10 NEXT MONTH JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER PS3 GAMES!!!". It charted in the top 10 and now "OMG AN RTS GAME OUTSOLD KZ2!!!" Which is something 100% of Gaf knew. Losers!

Gaborn

joey_z said:
:lol :lol

Teh tears!

Does Sony even care to make any money this generation? Though I guess they are stuck in a Catch-22 situation. Cut costs and stand to lose more money with little promise of sufficient increase in sales or keep current price and minimize loss but forego any promise of increased sales.

That isn't a catch-22 from a business perspective, only for fanboys. at the end of the day Sony HAS to go with their bottom line.

Chairman Yang said:
Series installments tend to be heavily influenced by their predecessor games. RE4 was probably negatively influenced by RE3, RE5 is positively influenced by RE4. It's a similar situation with the MGS games--MGS3 suffered because of MGS2's reception, and MGS4 benefited because of MGS3.

Not entirely. Resident Evil 4 sold so much less due to it being such a large gap since 3 as well as premiering on the Gamecube.

Metal Gear Solid 3 suffered because much of what made the game unique was copied and improved with other games (I.E. It's known "realism" was surpassed by Splinter Cell). And it regain its thrown by being "the PS3 game" to have.

Narcosis

legend166 said:
Hardware sales down across the board. Will be interesting to get the dollar figures compared to last month/last year. Wonder if the economy is finally catching up. Doesn't seem to be phasing software sales though.

I don't have the numbers handy on me( though someone else might be able to verify this), but I seem to recall that in previous years hardware across the board seems to slump a bit at this time of the year and picks up again in the summer

CiSTM

Banned
No China town wars :( And I was kinda expecting to see Pokemon Platinum at number one spot. Now I shall wait for MadWorld numbers.

sciplore

Frencherman said:
Yepp, this is the Month of Fail for the praised Nintendo Core-Audience.

For me the DS has officially failed as an credible plattform for quality 3rd-Party Products...

Joking right? While it may not be in the top 10 I know it will be in the top 20 of overall games. Then you know it will have legs so no need to panic with how well a top ds title will do.

SF4 should at least be in the top 30, I wish they just released a top 20 first and then a top 30 later.

One of these days I need to stop being lazy and get back in on the predictions thread...

Edit:Crap this quote is now a page late darn the first 10 pages of NPDs :lol :lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Dr. Zoidberg said:
I think the way "The Show" handily beat MLB on 360 shows two very interesting things:

1. Quality must matter, and fans took the superior option. Therefore...

2. There is indeed substantial overlap in HD console ownership in the US.

The other, less likely arguments would be that there is not a lot of overlap and:

a) PS3 owners had less to buy and therefore picked up the Show in greater numbers, or

b) the PS3 "audience" is somehow more receptive to American Baseball games.

But I'm convinced there is a great deal of overlap.
TV commercials - saw lots for The Show, none for MLB.

Touchdown

Banned
Wow @ Nintendo still 2 to 1 console sales over competitors.
Wow @ low Killzone sales
Wow @ Mario Kart game of the forever
Wow @ Resident Evil. Still have to pick this up.

I can't say that I'm surprised, but it doesn't look like Killzone 2 is going to have any legs at all. It sold considerably more in its first two days than it did in the five weeks that followed. It's probably going to disappear altogether within a month or to.

Capcom is having a great year, and I'm glad they're seeing the success they deserve. I have to wonder how front-loaded the sales of RE5 are going to be. I was hoping to see Street Fighter IV hang around for a while longer.

Once again, Nintendo is completely unstoppable. In the past couple of months the HD twins have had high profile exclusives like Halo Wars and Killzone 2, as well as highly anticipated multiplatorm games like Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5. None of this matters. The Wii doesn't even need to have any big releases to outsell the 360 and PS3 combined.

Dirtbag

GhaleonEB said:
A console RTS with "Halo" in the title.

Perspective. :p

But aside from comparing two entirely different games, on different install bases, it's hard not to be surprised at how low Killzone 2 sales are overall, not to mention PS3 sales. It didn't move hardware, and while it sold pretty well, it's no smash hit.

The price point is just killing the PS3. Still.

Oh I agree.
I think alot of people are forgetting that halo wars demo downloaded gangbusters on live, and people still bought the game, so it's not just the franchise tie that did it.

It's a good game, and it hit the right notes for a console rts.

billy.sea

Banned
Soo ooo happy with RE5 numbers

Sooooo not happy with GTA Chinatown Wars not in there

Both are my favorite games of the year.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
JudgeN said:
People didn't think KZ2 was going to even show in the top 10 this month, why are people calling KZ2 numbers bad its the best selling Sony first party game so far.

I'm not going to defend the sales of KZ2, but I will defend JudgeN in this case. If you go back and look at last month's NPD thread, most everyone felt that KZ2 would not be seen again.

Mrbob

Heh, the Killzone 2/Halo Wars battle is a virtual stalemate at the moment.

Oh and drop your hardware price Sony. Two games at 300K and RE5 nearly 600K and can only push 215K in sales. Your hardware is too expensive.

Speaking of one of those 300K games, go mlb the show. :D I don't even remember the game charting last year. I think it sold somewhere in the 100ks for its first month. Fantastic game coupled with great advertising (probably the best sony has done so far this gen) turned it into a sales success. Hopefully the franchise can keep building off this momentum every year.

jett said:
I don't really see the big problem. Killzone just doesn't have the brand awareness other franchises do. 600k in 5 weeks is fine for KZ2. Probably won't have much legs after this month though...who knows.

The "problem" is that if this trend of high profile games failing (yes, 600k is a failure for a game of this caliber) continues, then I really don't see much reason to believe that we will see many more of them in the future. And I really don't understand what is going on with Sony's marketing right now. I saw some KZ2 ads on Spike, and that's it.

And as far as lack of brand awareness goes, that certainly did not stop Gears of War from being a blockbuster title.

itxaka

Defeatist
godhandiscen said:
The Resident Evil brand will continue to release on MS platforms from now on. Good. Good job Halo Wars, for a genre that has been a failure on consoles, it delivered in quality and sales.

They just sold 1 Million worldwide.
http://kotaku.com/5215424/killzone-2-sells-1-million-worldwide

Nice. Now Wollan can suck it up. Remeber our bet Wollan?

Anyway, I expected a bit more from KZ2 and less from HW. Awesome RE5 numbers, well deserved.

Hesemonni said:
I'm seriously having some doubts about the profit part in your sentence considering the way things are going.
Sony 1st party (2nd party?), what do we call that $30-40 a unit to Sony after all the retail stuff? I'm sure it will break 1.5 mil WW by the end of the year. $45-$60 mil? I think it will turn a profit, even if just barely.

Kifimbo

WinFonda said:

For me it's a failure because sales of PS3 didn't change at all. 600k is good I guess, but MGS4 moved more console that Killzone 2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's got the name Halo on it. How is it surprising that it sold really well? Did anyone think it wasn't going to do spectacularly?

Pretty surprised by MLB the show.

Frillen said:
That's because they ARE bad.
I wouldn't say they are bad overall. But for GAF standards...they're terrible. After countless kz2.gif attacks, red eyeish avatars and unbelievable hype that has been going on for months and years, "just" 600k sound like easy prey for NPD threads.

So since its out there anyone want to spin why the PS3 keeps performing worse than it did last year on a consistent basis now...

A month or two might be a fluke. 5 months is a trend.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
WinFonda said:

Also, since it probably needs to be said: KZ2 worldwide > Halo Wars worldwide.
False. Sony just announced KZ2 reaching 1Million while Microsoft announced Halo Wars reaching 1 Million over a week ago.

DMeisterJ

Banned
A better comparison of KZ2 and HW is weeks, since KZ2 launched so late in Feb, and HW early in March

So:

KZ2 6 weeks = 619k
HW 5 weeks = 623k

HW still > KZ2 (obviously), but much better than 2 months vs. 1 month, which, while true, doesn't paint the whole picture.

Happy fighting fanboys!

Grecco

Y2Kev said:
It's got the name Halo on it. How is it surprising that it sold really well? Did anyone think it wasn't going to do spectacularly?

Pretty surprised by MLB the show.

Its still an RTS.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Where are:

--Madworld
--Henry Hatsworth

what else am I missing

Grecco said:
Its still an RTS.

Microsoft did a superb job hiding this fact. The promotional campaign and TV commercial do not indicate this is the case. :lol

Goldrusher

Darklord said:
They expected it to save the PS3. They probably thought it would be Halo type sales I bet.
How ?

As far as I know SCEA didn't have any bundle pack (SCEE did), did a piss-poor job on advertising the game and simply doesn't seem to care this gen.

WinFonda

Kifimbo said:
For me it's a failure because sales of PS3 didn't change at all. 600k is good I guess, but MGS4 moved more console that Killzone 2.
Fair enough. Very few games are going to push hardware like that though. MGS4 was also bundled, so that helps.

AltogetherAndrews said:
The "problem" is that if this trend of high profile games failing (yes, 600k is a failure for a game of this caliber) continues, then I really don't see much reason to believe that we will see many more of them in the future. And I really don't understand what is going on with Sony's marketing right now. I saw some KZ2 ads on Spike, and that's it.

And as far as lack of brand awareness goes, that certainly did not stop Gears of War from being a blockbuster title.

Yeah that is what is most troubling the idea that Sony wont finance these insane projects because its not viable for them.

Top Bottom