• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Nafai1123

Banned
If MS basically won this month on the first 2 weeks of November I could see them taking December by a larger margin. Sony hasn't announced any continuation of the GTA bundle and MS is still doing the $349 AC bundle throughout the rest of the year.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Sony got to roll along at $399 and maintain its profit margin, MS bought a PR statement for potentially hundreds of millions in lost revenue. The had to pay Ubi for two games, slash the price by $50-70 and throw in another game or two in some cases. It barely worked, but it isn't sustainable. I'm guessing they are just hoping for strong word of mouth (MCC lol) and momentum, which I think they will lose quickly if the price goes up.

Lucreto

And they got sales out of it? You know that MS is worth billions and is not in any financial danger at all and the Xbox brand is healthy.

What are you talking about.

They gave way 2 free games with a reduced price console. I am sure they are taking a hit. If I was am investors losing money and gaining so little would question why they are in the console business.

It would take one vote from the board of directors to sell the division and reinvest in Windows.

Anth0ny

Nothing will save the WiiU now. It's done.

It was done for a while, but I was expecting the November following Mario Kart and featuring Smash Bros to at LEAST do 400k. Then it would be the shits from there until it died.

Instead.... NOTHING. God damn this thing is going to make the Gamecube look like the PS2 in comparison.

Krakn3Dfx

How does Tim Dog know numbers?
8104a5d73742944ef4e345f020c7b934ed27b30b6076ea7e5c0101710efa5181.jpg

Loudninja

If MS basically won this month on the first 2 weeks of November I could see them taking December by a larger margin. Sony hasn't announced any continuation of the GTA bundle and MS is still doing the $349 AC bundle throughout the rest of the year.
Sony already started their deals.

This is the beginning of a trend. Exponential growth should now follow as the world embraces the One. Blockbuster exclusives over the next few months like Screamride and Cuphead should effectively #closethegap.

ryan299

Ms might make the base console 349 and put the Ac bundle back at 399 after the holidays end. I don't think they should but I can see it happening.

$329 and two free AAA games for a 10k lead.

That is an expensive piece of PR.

Sony absolutely vindicated in their decision not to reduce prices for BF. There was clearly no need to panic.

People all month were saying Sony should drop the price. I mean, over and over and over again. They were 100% wrong. Sony nailed it by staying put.

Frillen

Lolchartzzz is just as lolsome as ever as well.

They had XB1 at 1.44m and PS4 at 1.06m, a difference of 380k vs the real difference of 10k.

Joke site. I hope people see how much of a joke they are, not to be used even for a "guide line" or estimate.

You seem to use it though :p

GamerJM

Banned
And people laughed at me when I said the Wii U would barely sell 10 million units by the end of its lifetime. It was at 7.29 last quarter. It will literally take another 5 years to reach GCN levels, and that's assuming there will be no YOY decline. What the fuck are they doing?

To be fair I'm not really sure what they can do at this point other than releasing new hardware. They gave Smash a huge, huge push.

If cboat is lying he is done on GAF, so I suppose it's true.

He could perhaps not be lying, but he may be talking about a difference of another sort. He didn't specify what the difference was.

We took it and ran.

Either way, the PS4 is a monster and it looks like both consoles flirted with 1M at the very least, which is awesome!

Percy

Banned
lmao... cboat kind of shit all over those pie in the sky fantasies we were seeing about Xbone having a lead of anything up to 500k over PS4 in the predictions thread. Unbelievably close result, seriously.

Very surprised by how low Halo MCC came in. Wonder if word of mouth over how broken it is played a part there? Also, Sunset Overdrive still absent. Guess the theories about a bump for BF from last NPD didn't amount to much after all.

Glad to see Smash still riding high though. Nintendo seems to have had a good month at least.

Edit: Just realised no Dragon Age... how many days of tracking would it have had?

TomShoe

Banned
If this is true, then what will MS have to do to actually start to make a meaningful dent in Sony's lead?

Free Xbox One with every purchase of Halo 5?

Other than that, Sony would have to fuck up massively to starting losing market share, and that's probably not happening. Their messaging to consumers has been on point lately, and PSX is the best example of that.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
This is the beginning of a trend. Exponential growth should now follow as the world embraces the One. Blockbuster exclusives over the next few months like Screamride and Cuphead should effectively #closethegap.

Is this parody?

RibMan

Now that I think about it, a minuscule difference of 7-10k units would explain the weird silence from MS. They're not known to golf clap their victories - the brass, choir, and percussion always make an appearance when they win.

If the difference is real then I have to wonder if the higher-ups at Microsoft are pleased with the results. Losing money for the sake of market share doesn't look like a winning strategy for them.

gaming_noob

Sony got to roll along at $399 and maintain its profit margin, MS bought a PR statement for potentially hundreds of millions in lost revenue. The had to pay Ubi for two games, slash the price by $50-70 and throw in another game or two in some cases. It barely worked, but it isn't sustainable. I'm guessing they are just hoping for strong word of mouth (MCC lol) and momentum, which I think they will lose quickly if the price goes up.
At least they are trying, i guess.

Nibel

Wonder if the PlayStation Experience event will help drive holiday sales..

I saw this multiple times in this thread and question why should it?

Good deals and bundles sell consoles, not hardcore-centric gaming events that most consumers don't know about.

I think we can all be happy to have very healthy competition still in place for the console race. XB1 is still at a disadvantage and still has huge challenges in avoiding falling further behind.

Sony isn't able to really sit on its ass either because this holiday is proving that people WILL buy xbox one with the right incentives. They are just choosing PS4 right now.

Laughing at the people that said Sony should do a price cut on the PS4. Even after all that aggressive bundling XB1 sales were what, 1% more than PS4's.

Good news is that both did 900k+ which is very good.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
It was done for a while, but I was expecting the November following Mario Kart and featuring Smash Bros to at LEAST do 400k. Then it would be the shits from there until it died.

Instead.... NOTHING. God damn this thing is going to make the Gamecube look like the PS2 in comparison.

Honestly Anth0ny, their Black Friday offerings were terrible, so I am not surprised. I was expecting at least 300k, but hey, you get what you get, they didn't put the effort - it shows, and this is what they get.

Profitability is more important to them in FY15 and that's the way it is :p

Top Bottom