• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results May 2018

Leonidas

https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/21/may-npd-2018-state-of-decays-second-act-chews-its-way-to-the-top/

Though software sales were down year-over-year last month, Undead Labs’ zombie survival game State of Decay 2 did well for itself. It was May’s best-seller, and it sold almost twice as many copies as its prequel, State of Decay. A little less than a month after its launch, Microsoft announced at the Electronic Entertainment Expo that it had acquired the studio.

Sony’s PlayStation 4 continued its streak as the best-selling console year-to-date, though the other consoles didn’t do too shabby.

“Sony’s PlayStation 4, Microsoft’s Xbox One and Nintendo Switch all achieved all-time unit sales highs for a May month,” said Piscatella. “Previous highs were May 2016 for PlayStation 4, May 2015 for Xbox One, and May 2017 for Switch.”

Rankings based on dollar sales
  1. State of Decay 2
  2. God of War 2018
  3. Detroit: Become Human
  4. Far Cry 5
  5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze*
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. Hyrule Warriors Definitive Ed*
  8. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  9. Mario Kart 8*
  10. NBA 2K18
  11. MLB 18: The Show
  12. Call of Duty: WWII
  13. Super Mario Odyssey*
  14. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  15. FIFA 18^
  16. Overwatch^
  17. Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection
  18. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
  19. Assassin's Creed: Origins
  20. Monster Hunter: World
* Digital sales not included
^ PC digital sales not included

Xbox One
  1. State of Decay 2
  2. Far Cry 5
  3. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
  4. Grand Theft Auto V
  5. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  6. Call of Duty: WWII
  7. Overwatch
  8. Sea Of Thieves
  9. NBA 2K18
  10. FIFA 18

PS4
  1. God of War 2018
  2. Detroit: Become Human
  3. Far Cry 5
  4. MLB 18: The Show
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. FIFA 18
  7. NBA 2K18
  8. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege
  9. Call of Duty: WWII
  10. Overwatch

Switch
  1. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  2. Hyrule Warriors Definitive Ed
  3. Mario Kart 8
  4. Super Mario Odyssey
  5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  6. Splatoon 2
  7. Kirby Star Allies
  8. Labo Toy-Con 01 Variety Kit
  9. Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
  10. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Last edited:

Allandor

GTA V still in that chart … how many copies have they sold since it's release?

State of Decay 2 sold better than God of War?

Last edited:

Typhares

GTA V damn the game will never die!
8. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege; amazing what they've done with this game, proper success story there.
SoD2 I didn't expect it to do so well but I guess that was the big exclusive game for xbox this month, will see if it holds.

demigod

Well everyone has God of War by now and State of Decay is a zombie game. People just love zombie games. A bit shocking since State of Decay 2 received bad reviews, maybe the game really is fun. Imagine if it was also sold on Steam, i'd buy it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

A new game on two platforms in it's first month sold better than a game on one platform in it's second month? That's not saying much.

Leonidas

State of Decay is a zombie game. People just love zombie games.

It's not that simple. People didn't love Dead Rising 4.

A bit shocking since State of Decay 2 received bad reviews

It has great word of mouth. Pretty fun from what I've played of it so far. The first game was also a pretty big deal for an indie game on the 360.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
PS4 is the Number ONE selling hardware for the month. GOW now tracks only behind FC5 as th best selling title for the year. Remember, FC5 is on a million platforms, and of course DS4 continues to be the best selling controller month after month and YTD.....

Great to See Detroit did so well as Cage said and MLB continues to sell well. All in all, great month for all involved, but Sony continues to pump the gas in all areas...

Last edited:

tkscz

Is Skyrim on Switch pushing a lot of physical copies? It's been off the eShop top sellers for a few months now, but somehow managed to be the 10th best selling game on the console.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't understand why people are buying these Gamepass games with how cheap GP is and free trials and all that. I am surprised by t he sales of SoD and SoT before it.

thelastword

Banned

This is GOW's second month on the NPD, it was first last month. SOD2's number is across XBOX+Windows platform btw, this is why MS wants windows integration so badly and does not mind all their xbox titles coming to their Windows Store....They consider XBOX+Windows, eventually their Windows Phone to be one platform, that will help them with sales metrics on all their titles in the future on NPD, PR et al.....

In any case, here's the best selling games for the year, up to the minute....

Year to Date

1. Far Cry 5
  2. God of War 2018
  3. Monster Hunter: World
  4. Call of Duty: WWII
  5. Dragon Ball: Fighterz
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. NBA 2K18
  8. MLB 18: The Show
  9. Mario Kart 8*
  10. Playerunknown's Battlegrounds^

Last edited:

WaterAstro

That's good for State of Decay 2. I think NPD are counted by revenue, right? So it doesn't matter if it was cheaper?

Maybe the price point was a sweet spot.

VAL0R

Banned
Wow @ SoD 2! I thought the lukewarm review scores would bury it. Phil did say that Game Pass actually seems to be increasing games sales, which seems counterintuitive, but maybe this is evidence. He said both SoD2 and SoT sold better than MS's internal expectations.

Horns

Glad to see the exclusives do so well. GoW is amazing and I just bought the gamepass so I can play SoD2.

Drewpee

Banned
Wow @ SoD 2! I thought the lukewarm review scores would bury it. Phil did say that Game Pass actually seems to be increasing games sales, which seems counterintuitive, but maybe this is evidence. He said both SoD2 and SoT sold better than MS's internal expectations.

I thought he was blowing smoke when he said that but it must atleast be partially true because who would have expected SOD2 to be the best selling game after the game became available day 1 on gamepass? ESPECIALLY after the reviews came out. That is extremely surprising.

This is GOW's second month on the NPD, it was first last month. SOD2's number is across XBOX+Windows platform btw, this is why MS wants windows integration so badly and does not mind all their xbox titles coming to their Windows Store....They consider XBOX+Windows, eventually their Windows Phone to be one platform, that will help them with sales metrics on all their titles in the future on NPD, PR et al.....

Year to Date

1. Far Cry 5
  2. God of War 2018
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. NBA 2K18
  9. Mario Kart 8*
Just keep in mind that the list is based on total revenue and not toal units sold. This puts SOD 2 at a huge disadvantage since its only 30 bucks.
NPD doesn't take PC sales into account, either, so you're wrong on that front.

Calibos

PS4 is the Number ONE selling hardware for the month. GOW now tracks only behind FC5 as th best selling title for the year. Remember, FC5 is on a million platforms, and of course DS4 continues to be the best selling controller month after month and YTD.....

Great to See Detroit did so well as Cage said and MLB continues to sell well. All in all, great month for all involved, but Sony continues to pump the gas in all areas...

Year to Date

1. Far Cry 5
  2. God of War 2018
  6. Grand Theft Auto V
  7. NBA 2K18
  9. Mario Kart 8*

Keep fighting the good fight there slugger.

Congrats to MS and Undead Labs. A mediocre score game beating a juggernaut near perfect game in sales...it's even a $10-40 game! Sony is pumping the gas, but MS has a full tank and a turbocharged futuristic race car!

Did I fit in with the console warriors this time?

That's good for State of Decay 2. I think NPD are counted by revenue, right? So it doesn't matter if it was cheaper?

Maybe the price point was a sweet spot.
It does matter that it was cheaper. It being $30 means it had to outsell a $60 game by more than 2:1, to be ahead in the rankings.

iconmaster

Banned
Phil did say that Game Pass actually seems to be increasing games sales, which seems counterintuitive, but maybe this is evidence. He said both SoD2 and SoT sold better than MS's internal expectations.

Yeah, I'm inclined to believe Phil after this month. Wow.

SOD2 being n.1 with npd counting revenue, not amount of copies sold, is surprising. That means that it has sold a very substantial number of copies. Maybe MS is into something with gamepass.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
But I thought SOD2 was niche and nobody would care? This place sometimes lol.

But for real that's awesome news for Undead Labs. Congrats to the team.

WaterAstro

But for real that's awesome news for Undead Labs. Congrats to the team.
Co-op zombie games aren't niche. It's just not going to be a critically acclaimed game, and the pricepoint matches that.

NahaNago

This is like the 2nd month for god of war to be on the npd so sod2 beating it isn't that shocking. It was at first when I thought they came out the same month but after a bit of research it's like , meh.

My takeaways:

1. Exclusives very much matter no matter what anyone says.
2. XBox is a viable platform, despite the doom-mongering.
3. GTA V is the biggest gaming phenomenon since Tetris, perhaps of all time considering it's always been $60.
4. Nintendo is a force again.
5. XBox Gamepass is not cannibalizing retail to a catastrophic extent.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

I guess SoD2 is the new SoT for sales threads. Does anyone see a " State of Decay sales at 3m" or anything from MS? Do you know why? It was a front loaded mediocre reviewed game on two platforms that maybe sold 1m and has no legs, just like SoT. It is currently #250+ on Amazon hourly, one is buying it after its release. So expect "30m zombies killed" or the equivalent from MS, but don't expect sales number. It is not a hit. Being #1 in an NPD in a quiet month does not equate to a sales hit, don't be so easily fooled.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I guess SoD2 is the new SoT for sales threads. Does anyone see a " State of Decay sales at 3m" or anything from MS? Do you know why? It was a front loaded mediocre reviewed game on two platforms that maybe sold 1m and has no legs, just like SoT. It is currently #250+ on Amazon hourly, one is buying it after its release. So expect "30m zombies killed" or the equivalent from MS, but don't expect sales number. It is not a hit. Being #1 in an NPD in a quiet month does not equate to a sales hit, don't be so easily fooled.

Feel better?

While i don't doubt its a good thing for microsoft that state of decay 2 was number 1 in may i feel this may be twisting the narrative in that sony had 2 high profile games at 2 and 3 respectively which would split sales for those people that can only afford 1 game. So hypothetically if detroit wasnt launched i would go far as to say god of war being the only game would have recieved a big chunk of those sales and would probably catapult it to the top spot.

Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 both sold above MS's own projections
https://www.videogamer.com/news/tur...sold-a-lot-better-than-microsoft-had-forecast

Sea of Thieves has over 4 million players, and was best debut ever for a Rare game in the US and UK. Both of these games are sales hits.
If SOD2 wasn't a sales hit, MS wouldn't have bought Undead Labs.

Lets see what other games have been #1 on NPD
April 2018 God of War (hit)
March 2018 FarCry 5 (hit)
February 2018 and Janruary 2018 Monster Hunter World (hit)
November and December 2017 COD WW2 (hit)
October 2017 Middle Earth: Shadow of War (hit)
September 2017 Destiny 2 (say what you want to say about the game, but you cant say the game wasnt a hit sales wise)
August 2017 Madden 18 (hit)
July 2017 Splatoon2 (hit)
June 2017 Tekken 7 (hit)
May 2017 Injustice 2 (hit)
April 2017 Mario Kart 8-D (hit)
March 2017 Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands (hit)
February 2017 For Honor (hit)
Janruary 2017 Resident Evil 7 (hit)
99.9 percent of the time the NPD winner is game that did well financially, even if it was a slow month.

demigod

Sea of Thieves is not a hit, it bombed. I would say gamepass didn’t help it at all and actually hurt its sales. Check the OT to see how many people used gamepass instead of buying it day 1. MS must’ve really set the bar low if it exceeded their expectations. Game hasn’t even crossed 1mil yet. If you believe everything MS says, i have lots of bridges to sell to you.

LOL at trolls trying to downplay SOT and SOD success. Ridiculous posts, the companys expectations exceeded, millions of players early in their lifespans. Nice try

Sea of Thieves is not a hit, it bombed. I would say gamepass didn’t help it at all and actually hurt its sales. Check the OT to see how many people used gamepass instead of buying it day 1. MS must’ve really set the bar low if it exceeded their expectations. Game hasn’t even crossed 1mil yet. If you believe everything MS says, i have lots of bridges to sell to you.
citation needed.
and yeah, because hardcore gaming enthusiasts = mainstream audience. Totally true, right?

demigod

citation needed.
and yeah, because hardcore gaming enthusiasts = mainstream audience. Totally true, right?

Go check the npd threads, its not even in top 10 year to date. Its getting its butt whooped by MLB The Show. How about you giving me proof its done over a mil.

Last edited:

demigod

Just keep in mind that the list is based on total revenue and not toal units sold. This puts SOD 2 at a huge disadvantage since its only 30 bucks.
NPD doesn't take PC sales into account, either, so you're wrong on that front.

Actually you’re wrong. Microsoft exclusives do include digital PC.

Top Bottom