• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR: Top 100 Science-Fiction, Fantasy Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaxword

Trojita said:
67. The Shannara Trilogy, by Terry Brooks

Brooks LITERALLY rewrote Lord of the Rings with different character names and made millions.

Brooks is a thief and a liar and does not deserve to be on that list.

Fjordson

ZephyrFate said:
The Forever War is a fantastic fucking novel. I agree.
That good, huh? Hmmm, I'll have to check it out. Came close to buying it a few times now and it's currently $4.95 on Kindle.

Rubashov

Cyan said:
Goddamnit.

At least Bujold is on there.
I hardly ever see anyone recommend her sci fi stuff. Are all the books worth it and can I pick out a few? I breezed through her first 2 Chalion books and enjoyed them.

Dresden

Rubashov said:
I hardly ever see anyone recommend her sci fi stuff. Are all the books worth it and can I pick out a few? I breezed through her first 2 Chalion books and enjoyed them.
Her sf stuff is very good - some of the best in the genre, really.

jaxword said:
Brooks LITERALLY rewrote Lord of the Rings with different character names and made millions.

I remember coming off Hobb and Tolkien as a kid and trying to read the first book in his original series or whatever and within, like, a hundred pages I experienced not only the biggest and crudest of info-dumps I've ever had the agony of reading, but it also had the most generic D&D/LotR rip-off type shit strewn in amongst there. And, astoundingly, I hear people say they came into fantasy because of that series all the time. Wow, just wow.

But, y'know, Brooks is the inoffensive Terry when it comes to fantasy, so hate for him simply isn't going to come up as often.

Cyan

Banned
Rubashov said:
Her SF books are some of my favorites in the genre. While all the Vorkosigan series books essentially stand alone, they are far better within the full context of the series. For that reason, I'd suggest going from the beginning.

c/p from an old thread:
Cyan said:
Start with either Shards of Honor followed by Barrayar (Shards is chronologically first, but not strictly necessary to enjoy the rest of the series) or Warrior's Apprentice followed by Vor Game (Warrior's Apprentice introduces Miles, the main character of the series).
You can't go wrong either way. Do note that Shards and Warrior's Apprentice were the first two books Bujold ever wrote, and it kind of shows. Their follow-ups were written when Bujold had come closer to mastery of her craft--and both won Hugos. ;)

For reference, since the collections and such can be confusing:
Shards of Honor
Barrayar (Hugo)
+ Collected as Cordelia's Honor

Warrior's Apprentice
Mountains of Mourning (novella) (Hugo/Nebula)
Vor Game (Hugo)
+ Collected as Young Miles

Cetaganda
Ethan of Athos (does not feature Miles, although he is mentioned)
Labyrinth (novella)
+ Collected as Miles, Mystery and Mayhem
[Cyan's note: the weakest of the collections, don't get discouraged!]

Borders of Infinity (novella)
Brothers in Arms
Mirror Dance (Hugo)
+ Collected as Miles Errant

Memory
+ Not in any collection

Komarr
A Civil Campaign
Winterfair Gifts (novella)
+ Collected as Miles in Love

Diplomatic Immunity
+ Collected with Falling Free (below) and Labyrinth (above) in Miles, Mutants and Microbes

Cryoburn
+ Not in any collection - this is latest book, published 10/2010

Falling Free (set in same universe, 200 years before). Consider reading it before Diplomatic Immunity, which is set is same part of space and involves same peoples. (Nebula award winner)

Bujold is very good and super consistent, even across the 20+ entry Vorkosigan series. And Miles, a hyperactive intelligence in a small, fragile package, is one of SF's great protagonists. So, if you like engaging characters and subterfuge-addictive narrative, her stuff is a pretty good bet.

besada

Banned
Vibri said:
Uh, HIS DARK MATERIALS?

It amazes me the number of people who make these sort of posts that clearly haven't bothered to read either the article in the OP or the thread, where it has been explained multiple times that this list doesn't include young reader's fiction.

Rubashov

Cyan said:
For reference, since the collections and such can be confusing:
Thanks. The list of books is intimidating when they're all just in chronological order like on wikipedia. This will help out a lot...once they show up on the kindle store. Boo.

Puddles

Banned
jaxword said:

Reading The Eye of the World (1st book in Wheel of Time) right now, and it's pretty clear that it's a repackaging of Fellowship, only the McGuffin is an actual person, and the wizard is female.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I've read quite a lot of these and others mentioned in here, but embarrassingly missed some of the biggest ones. I'll need to rectify that. Here's my list to read, in no order:

the once and future king
long price quartet
american gods
hyperion
dune
ender's game

Which first?

Dresden

Emerson said:
I've read quite a lot of these and others mentioned in here, but embarrassingly missed some of the biggest ones. I'll need to rectify that. Here's my list to read, in no order:

the once and future king
long price quartet
american gods
hyperion
dune
ender's game

Which first?
The order you put them in is fine.

besada said:
It amazes me the number of people who make these sort of posts that clearly haven't bothered to read either the article in the OP or the thread, where it has been explained multiple times that this list doesn't include young reader's fiction.
If Xanth can make the list then that can too.

Fjordson

Emerson said:

the once and future king
long price quartet
american gods
hyperion
dune
ender's game

Which first?
Put Hyperion second and Dune third and the order is pretty good.

JeTmAn81

Bumpity, just finished Brave New World on audiobook. Impressive, perhaps even more so than 1984. Certainly Huxley's vision of a totalitarian state run on gratification rather than subjugation is a lot more believable.

Edit: Also, 36/100 for me

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
bumping this thread cos I've been making my way through some of the sci-fi books on the list and really loving it. It's been a really great resource thus far.

I've read the first three Foundation novels and The Dispossessed. Are there any other history or socio-economic based books on the list?

WOAH fellas, read Canticle for Leibowitz. probably the best post apocalyptic fiction in terms of its ability to get your cranium working, it's great. top 5 sci fi for me

it's perfect for what the above poster is looking for, i think

Dead Man

i_am_ben said:
bumping this thread cos I've been making my way through some of the sci-fi books on the list and really loving it. It's been a really great resource thus far.

I've read the first three Foundation novels and The Dispossessed. Are there any other history or socio-economic based books on the list?
95. The Mars Trilogy, by Kim Stanley Robinson

Maybe not exactly what you are after, but it is basically a future history of the colonisation fo Mars, and the social, technological, and economic development of Mars.

Bumping this thread. Just read Brave New World. Fantastic stuff and I'm surprised I haven't heard much about this book from the real world, and not enough from the internet. To me, it's certainly better than 1984, and far more intellectually satisfying. I'm not very well-versed in Shakespeare so a few parts were a bit hard to decipher, but google proved useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom