• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia 3D Vision Review

ffs why haven't I tried 3d envisioned f-zero gx before :O~

my thumbs really hate anything with a thumb analog though, especially these precision games, so I connected the g25....

3D VISIONED F-ZERO G25 :O AMAZING

edit: f-zero g25 on its own is superb also

bee

Reallink said:
Hey guys, do these kits work with this first batch of 3D Televisions (e.g. Samsung, Panasonic, Sony)? I'm talking full quality, 720p stereo, not the checkerboard or half rez side-by-side implementations the DLP's use. I understand this would be limited to 3D flagged 720p 120 over HDMI or a single DVI>HDMI conversion. The specialty PC monitors use Display Port or Dual DVI's to drive this don't they---which the televisions obviously don't have.

the monitors use dual link dvi, which is a single cable/port just with much higher bandwidth

Joseph Merrick said:
ffs why haven't I tried 3d envisioned f-zero gx before :O~

my thumbs really hate anything with a thumb analog though, especially these precision games, so I connected the g25....

3D VISIONED F-ZERO G25 :O AMAZING

edit: f-zero g25 on its own is superb also

haha its good isn't it, not tried with my g25 though, need a new source for svn's aswell

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
GHG said:
You need to find out what type of 3D technology the PS3 uses. Whether its Shutter, interlaced or polarized. Then you can base your monitor purchase from that (make sure its HDCP though).

I got the Zalman M215W http://www.zalman.co.kr/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=384 rather than one of the 3D vision 120hz monitors for the following reasons:

1. No ghosting. Also less eye strain and headaches compared to Shutter technology aparently.
2. 1080p and HDCP compatible (which means is Blu-Ray 3D ready)
3. Compatability with all existing 3d drivers (Nvidia, Tridef and IZ3D). The latter 2 actually have better 3D support due to more games being supported and with Tridef you can add 3D support to any old DX9 game yourself by creating a profile and messing around with the settings.
4. Point 3 means I'm free to go back to ATI should I choose to in the future and still have 3D.
5. Glasses are included (you actually get 2 pairs) and cheap to buy if you want more instead of having to buy them seperately with 3D vision and you can get extra pairs for very very cheap (polarized 3D glasses). So you can have other people watch films or game with you in 3D for next to nothing.

From what I've tried of 3D vision and comparing it to what I've just got its just as good if not better in some instances (especially for gaming). Pro evolution Soccer 2010 in 3D using the Tridef drivers is just :D . With the Tridef drivers you can also watch any old 2D video in 3D with the conversion software. It actually works suprisingly well. Obviously not as good as native 3D stuff but it adds a good amount of depth to old films.

As for the quality of the monitor in 2D. Yeh 120Hz is better but the Zalman monitor is a high quality 60Hz monitor.

3D vision isn't the only good solution out there if you want 3D on your PC.

I'll be doing a proper review later in the week with pictures (if I can sort out my camera) and screenshots once I have time. I'll be posting it here and on another 3D gaming forum since I seem to be the 1st person on the internet to have this new model :lol .
wow, good info there. i didn't even know Zalman made monitors. awesome. i thought they just made cases and heatsinks lol.

unfortunately i'm not sure if anyone knows how the ps3 handles 3d yet.

edit: actually i take that back. the new ps3 firmware says it uses stereoscopic 3d. so would that monitor be compatible? the only thing i see is the lack of a hdmi port.

GHG

Smokey said:
So wait..any game can be displayed in 3-d with the 3d vision kit and a 120hz capable monitor?

The only way you can get any game to work in 3D is by using the Tridef Ignition 3D driver (and obviously having a monitor that is supported by the software), providing the game is DX9. They will be adding DX10 and 11 support in their next release of the driver.

bee

well its been a fun weekend, not played this amount of games in a long time. picked up prototype last week for £10 on the advice of a friend, game is just incredible in 3D and considering its not designed for 3D or anything the actual game works 100%, just the cutscenes that have depth issues. kind of forgot to take a load of screens but i've got a few random ones that i've put together

http://www.mediafire.com/?yznmne3nd2m

Soroc

I don't have a 3d tv but my samsung is a 120hz TV. Would I be able to use this Nvidia 3d/glasses with my tv?

I have been doubting whether or not to buy this for a long time and I still haven't decided yet. There are two things that made me consider the purchase in the first place. First and foremost, I really need a new monitor. I still have my 19" monitor that came with my PC and it's just way too small for the things I use my PC for. I will be attending art school (game art course) next year and therefore I will be using Photoshop and Maya a lot. Now my screen is just too small for these things.

The other thing is that I just love the 3D. It sounds a bit shallow for a reason to buy a thing of such a high price, but I am serious. I went to see Toy Story 3 the other day and the 3D actually added something to the experience. I have been watching 3D game movies and screenshots (cross-eye) and I think they look great.

The thing is though, all this is quite expensive. There are screens the same size as some of the 120Hz screens with better specs but for a lower price and then I haven't even considered the price of the 3D vision kit. On top of that, I am not really a PC gamer. I have loads and loads of 360 and PS3 games, but my PC collection is really tiny. Sure, I would upgrade that when I buy the 3D vision set, for I'd like to see how everything looks, but the fact of the matter is that I rather play on my TV than on my PC.

Now there are a couple of things I'd like to know before buying this. One of them is, when I have the 3D kit all set up and working, is it possible to play the upcoming 3D movies on my (to be installed) PC Blu-Ray player and enjoy a 3D cinema-esque experience, or do I need a real 3D TV + 3D blu-ray player for that?
On top of that, how does the 3D work outside of games. Samsung 3DTV's can emulate a 3D viewing experience with everything, from TV to Youtube movies. If something isn't 3D, the TV can make it 3D. Does this work the same with this set? So for example, if I am watching Lost or playing an old not native 3D game, can it try to make it look 3D?

Those are the things I'd like to know. If anyone can shed some light on this for me, thanks in advance.

beast786

Pizza Luigi said:
I have been doubting whether or not to buy this for a long time and I still haven't decided yet. There are two things that made me consider the purchase in the first place. First and foremost, I really need a new monitor. I still have my 19" monitor that came with my PC and it's just way too small for the things I use my PC for. I will be attending art school (game art course) next year and therefore I will be using Photoshop and Maya a lot. Now my screen is just too small for these things.

The other thing is that I just love the 3D. It sounds a bit shallow for a reason to buy a thing of such a high price, but I am serious. I went to see Toy Story 3 the other day and the 3D actually added something to the experience. I have been watching 3D game movies and screenshots (cross-eye) and I think they look great.

The thing is though, all this is quite expensive. There are screens the same size as some of the 120Hz screens with better specs but for a lower price and then I haven't even considered the price of the 3D vision kit. On top of that, I am not really a PC gamer. I have loads and loads of 360 and PS3 games, but my PC collection is really tiny. Sure, I would upgrade that when I buy the 3D vision set, for I'd like to see how everything looks, but the fact of the matter is that I rather play on my TV than on my PC.

Now there are a couple of things I'd like to know before buying this. One of them is, when I have the 3D kit all set up and working, is it possible to play the upcoming 3D movies on my (to be installed) PC Blu-Ray player and enjoy a 3D cinema-esque experience, or do I need a real 3D TV + 3D blu-ray player for that?
On top of that, how does the 3D work outside of games. Samsung 3DTV's can emulate a 3D viewing experience with everything, from TV to Youtube movies. If something isn't 3D, the TV can make it 3D. Does this work the same with this set? So for example, if I am watching Lost or playing an old not native 3D game, can it try to make it look 3D?

Those are the things I'd like to know. If anyone can shed some light on this for me, thanks in advance.

To answere some of your questions.
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd/overview_en_US.html

The powerDVD 10 can convert any old DVD or even your home movies from 2D to 3D( all is real time). Ofcourse you will need a nVIDIA 3D setup. It will also play Bluray 3D movies if you have a regular bluray player installed in your PC

It will also convert pictures to 3D.

As per games. They are drivers that convert games to 3D.
here is a list of games that are already supported.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-3d-games.html

hopefully this helped

MNC

bee said:
cleaning out my 3D screenshots folder so before i delete most of them i thought i'd put some of them in a collection and upload them, they come from 17 games in total, quite a few nice ones in there

http://www.mediafire.com/?mztkmomtmwz
Wow, I love it. Thankfully you can rename these to jpg and look at them crosseyed. The effect is soooo much better than alot of the 'fake' 3D things!

In other news, I got a cinema reald3d glasses. Is there anything I can do with them at home?

Soroc said:
I don't have a 3d tv but my samsung is a 120hz TV. Would I be able to use this Nvidia 3d/glasses with my tv?

Your Samsung duplicates frames that are already there so that it can refresh the screen 120 times a second and smooth things out.

It doesn't take input from sources that have 120 frames per second, it just takes content that has less than that and duplicates it out to 120 frames.

bee

haven't posted this here yet i don't think ,so here's a modified opengl.dll to allow 3D vision to work, don't have too many opengl games to test but on the few i have it seems to work really well, here's quakelive, warsow and live for speed (quakes a little dark as i forgot to adjust the gamma)

opengl screens

modified opengl.dll (place in same folder as game executable)

cleaned my folders out now, thought i'd put up this short 3D avi of prototype in action, love this game in 3D and it works SO well even though it wasn't designed for it

prototype 3D avi

Zomba13

MNC said:
Someone post some jps from F Zero GX. I waaaaaaaaaaant them.
I really should rip my F-zero. Been on a wipeou/futureistic racer kick lately and the only thing better than HD space cars is HD space cars in 3D.
I'll rip it now and if no one uploads any pics then I'll do it when I get it working.

MNC said:
Someone post some jps from F Zero GX. I waaaaaaaaaaant them.
hehe. I'll do it after the football now

edit: what's the best dolphin for 3d again? I forget every time and have to do a ton of forum searching

bee

Joseph Merrick said:
hehe. I'll do it after the football now

edit: what's the best dolphin for 3d again? I forget every time and have to do a ton of forum searching

i'm using 5331, it has the fzero shadow bug though

bee

shit spawn rape/campfest game but oh man does it look awesome in motion in 3D, never drops below 35fps maxed out (no hsao) 4xaa,16xaf. will buy for awesome looking single player, if they don't fix it then fuck the multiplayer

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So I finally dived in. :)

Bought an Acer H5360 projector and the nVidia 3D vision kit.

My specs.

Dual core @ 3.0 GHZ, 4 Gig ram, 8800GT 512MB.

First thing. I'm impressed with the latest drivers. I can run a lot of games at acceptable framerates in 3D with a 8800GT. I guess it helps running at 1280x720 (native resolution of the projector).

Games I've tried:-

Tomb Raider Underworld - Looks absolutely stunning. Sometimes looks real. Incredible.

Fallout 3 - Stunning.

Oblivion - It really feels quite real trawling through the dungeons. The sense of depth really helps firing arrows etc...

Serious Sam HD. A few shadowing issues but it's a complete blast.

I'm going to try some emulators. Looking forward to playing some Mario64 in 3D.

Fox1304

I currently own a macbook unibody, and can't find a way to make this work by any mean ...

It's connected to a Panasonic VT20 through Hdmi, through a "MiniDisplayPort to HDMI" adapter.

And I'm running win7 on the macbook.

Tried Nvidia software, Power DVD, IZ3D and everything else.

Can't get any 3D :(

And I can't even tell if i'm doing it wrong, or if it's just impossible thanks to the 9400M Chipset, or to the MiniDisplayPort ...

Help ?

scogoth

Fox1304 said:
I currently own a macbook unibody, and can't find a way to make this work by any mean ...

It's connected to a Panasonic VT20 through Hdmi, through a "MiniDisplayPort to HDMI" adapter.

And I'm running win7 on the macbook.

Tried Nvidia software, Power DVD, IZ3D and everything else.

Can't get any 3D :(

And I can't even tell if i'm doing it wrong, or if it's just impossible thanks to the 9400M Chipset, or to the MiniDisplayPort ...

Help ?

Not possible, 9400 doesn't support HDMI 1.4 ouptut, nor does any mac.

Watch 3D Youtube with 3D Vision directly from your browser

3D Vision Live Website

So with Firefox 4, the latest 275.27 beta drivers and youtube you can now watch windowed 3D videos directly in the browser.

Couple of caveats
  • NO SLI! Damn you nvidia
  • Firefox 4 only, it uses webm. Funnilly chrome doesn't support webm
  • Must clean install 275.27 drivers
  • Ad-free HTML5 videos only, no flash

If you don't want navigate your way through those restrictions then head on over to 3dvisionlive to see if your system is compatible.

3d-vision-html5-video-streaming.jpg

Also 275.27 brought about some syncing improvements for gaming and subjectively it makes it about 50% better. Seems much smoother with less ghosting and jitter.

Arucardo

Hey, time to revive this thread a little again.

I jumped on board the 3d train yesterday by getting an awesome deal for an Acer gd245hq with the glasses kit (205 euros) that were only six months old and still have warranty.

As for my impressions games like Metro 2033 and Batman: Arkham Asylum that have the 3D Vision badge look astounding, better than anything I've ever seen in 3D. I have the depth at only 30% for now and it took some adjusting to get ghosting/crosstalk down. Any tips for this or is colour balance and brightness/gamma adjusting the only way to improve it?.

Source games also look awesome in 3D. I wish I had waited to play Portal 2 in 3D.

Just bought a Panasonic ST30, so I'll soon be jumping into the world of 3D PC games very soon (just waiting for my glasses to arrive).

What's the recommended route to set this up? 3DTV Play or IZ3D? What about video playback?

1-D_FTW

I think it's generally an accepted fact that if you have an Nvidia card, go the Nvidia route. Pretty sure 3DPlay has a free trial period. You could try everything without committing, but I'm sure you'll decide to pay the fee for 3D Play.

1-D_FTW said:
I think it's generally an accepted fact that if you have an Nvidia card, go the Nvidia route. Pretty sure 3DPlay has a free trial period. You could try everything without committing, but I'm sure you'll decide to pay the fee for 3D Play.

That was my plan anyway. As 3DTV Play is capped at 720p I'm hoping my OCed GTX 260 still has some life left in it. Does the 3D vision video player work with 3DTV Play?

Station42

hey guys, is anyone willing to check if our game works with nvidia3d?

www.fotonica-game.com, sorry for the small spam, I've seen a tweet on the game being compatible and I don't have any 3d tech to try it for myself!

Thank you in advance.

Reallink

brain_stew said:
That was my plan anyway. As 3DTV Play is capped at 720p I'm hoping my OCed GTX 260 still has some life left in it. Does the 3D vision video player work with 3DTV Play?

You lose so much IQ to the glasses (tint, light output) and there is sooooo much crosstalk, resolution doesn't matter that much to be honest. It's pretty hard to tell 720/1080 3D apart because of this. Even 720p 2D looks far superior to 1080p 3D in IQ. The effect can be fuckawesome for sure, but they got a long ways to go.

Reallink said:
You lose so much IQ to the glasses (tint, light output) and there is sooooo much crosstalk, resolution doesn't matter that much to be honest. It's pretty hard to tell 720/1080 3D apart because of this. Even 720p 2D looks far superior to 1080p 3D in IQ. The effect can be fuckawesome for sure, but they got a long ways to go.

Well its a modern Panasonic plasma, by all reports, it exhibits zero perceptible crosstalk, but we'll see.

Reallink

brain_stew said:
Well its a modern Panasonic plasma, by all reports, it exhibits zero perceptible crosstalk, but we'll see.

Yea I'm speaking on a GT30. Unfortunately the dearth of 3D content leads to people evaluating brightly colored CG films and erroneously declaring that display X evinces little or no cross talk. Being a new technology, a lot of folks (even professional reviewers) simply aren't entirely familiar with the where and what to look for. In reality, the '11 Panasonic's produce a metric shit ton of crosstalk with the 2nd Gen glasses (I haven't tested the newer 3rd Gen's, perhaps they're better, or perhaps they're worse). To quantify it, they actually produce damn near the worst possible result you can achieve in torture test crosstalk patterns--with only 5-10% stimuli being invisible to the alternate eye on a black back ground. Obviously this means the remaining 90-95% is visible cross talk. A perfect result would be 100% invisible to the alternate eye.

How much crosstalk you see in practice will depend on the content--the amount of stereo separation (e.g. the amount of depth or pop out) and what kind of contrast, colors, and dynamic range the source employs. Clearly bright objects in dark environments (a mainstay in "Realistic" games) is a worst case scenario, and boy does it show. CoD:BOP's (a 3D Vision favorite) is a cross talk bonanza right from the title screen. The very dark interrogation room filled with bright monitors and lights--it's just horrible. In general PS3 content fares better cause Sony are well aware most TV's are garbage with regards to CT (including their own). A lot more planning and attention goes into optimizing things to produce an obvious 3D effect without too much stereo separation. Nvidia seems to care more about quantity than quality, so a lot of the "3DVision Ready" games wind up being borderline unusable for anyone that gives 2 shits about IQ. The worst offenders are the FPS's that will simply put the gun on the TV's plane and have the environment go 10 miles into the TV. This produces a shit ton of stereo separation (and a ghastly amount of crosstalk) for a very subtle 3D effect. Duke Nukem is one such example.

I've only seen one crosstalk-free display as of late, and it's a projector (acer h5360).

Gaming accentuates the problem, given you can set the depth-value at will.

It's good to hear impressions on the latest panasonics, I've always heard good things.

And I can't wait to get my hands over Sony's new head-mounted OLED display.

Reallink

metareferential said:
I've only seen one crosstalk-free display as of late, and it's a projector (acer h5360).

Gaming accentuates the problem, given you can set the depth-value at will.

It's good to hear impressions on the latest panasonics, I've always heard good things.

And I can't wait to get my hands over Sony's new head-mounted OLED display.

Indeed, Sony's HMZ-T1 certainly has the potential to be a God Send for 3D gaming. If it even halfway delivers on its promise, I expect it will be the best 3D experience we're going to see for many many years (assuming it not a success, and they don't release updated iterations). I know I have every intention of beating down the doors, cash in hand, the day that thing comes to NA.

Reallink said:
I know I have every intention of beating down the doors, cash in hand, the day that thing comes to NA.

Same here, as soon as someone in Europe sells it, it's mine (assuming I can test it before handing over my wallet xD).

I love my Acer, perfect 3D huge picture, though sometimes I can't use it (other people around, wrong time of day, etc.) so the helmet-like solution is very intriguing.

I'm concerned about crosstalk (I have no previous experiences with OLED display, as everyone, since there are no OLED tv on the market yet) and problems related with its binocular nature, but I can't wait.

Top Bottom