• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA DLSS Source Code Leaked

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
OK, but even if so, how would that contribute to a DLSS "clone" popping up anytime soon? I assume the end user would still need Nvidia tensor capable hardware to even make sense of that common data model.
Well sure; I'm not really arguing that this will result in a DLSS clone.

But you don't need tensor cores most likely to be clear. That's the kind of code modification a hacker would do to say, get DLSS working on AMD cards. Which is something that MIGHT happen w/ this leak. Of course DLSS will continue to improve over time and/or games might be updated in a way to block hacked DLSS DLLs, etc.,etc.

At this point most hackers are doing more white hat stuff, or stuff to grab the attention of companies that might want to hire them, and aren't releasing stuff either way.

I don't think many would want to fuck with nVidia.. They have an insane amount of money/legal resources/etc.

Last edited:

NVIDIA DLSS Source Code Leaked

If this is true, and these hackers release the source code, it could mean DLSS being hacked into a lot of things.

I doubt other companies will touch, for fear of a lawsuit. But the community might do a lot with this.

EDIT: The version leaked is for DLSS 2.2
I don't understand how this would allow DLSS to be hacked into a lot of things. Doesn't DLSS only work when the game gets fed into Nvidia's network, that way it can crunch all the data? If anything wouldn't this just spill the beans into how Nvidia is crunching all that data? I could just be completely misinformed.

winjer

Gold Member
I don't understand how this would allow DLSS to be hacked into a lot of things. Doesn't DLSS only work when the game gets fed into Nvidia's network, that way it can crunch all the data? If anything wouldn't this just spill the beans into how Nvidia is crunching all that data? I could just be completely misinformed.

The library produced by an Deep Learning network is basically a black box, that no human understands. The humans only control the input, in an attempt to make the AI produce the desired outcome.
With the source code, other people can see what how the networks was designed, what weights were applied to each layer, etc.

The library produced by an Deep Learning network is basically a black box, that no human understands. The humans only control the input, in an attempt to make the AI produce the desired outcome.
With the source code, other people can see what how the networks was designed, what weights were applied to each layer, etc.
I figured it was more of way to see how DLSS actually works... and REPLICATE it! * hint hint nudge nudge PS/Xbox/AMD lol

winjer

Gold Member
I figured it was more of way to see how DLSS actually works... and REPLICATE it! * hint hint nudge nudge PS/Xbox/AMD lol

At this point, we don't know what is in the leak.
But another company could probably train another DLSS with it.

The other thing it might have is information about how DLSS connects to hardware.
Maybe people will find a way to hack DLSS and have it run on other hardware, not only on nVidia's tensor cores.

At least AMD can finally understand how to do it right.

It's not a secret how it's done, but AMD GPUs don't have dedicated tensor math hardware to do the work fast enough and in parallel. It may be a wrong strategy but AMD choose to only offer a solution that could work across all the stack, like they did with RT where every GPU no matter it's size have RT hardware.
They choose to offer an alternative, yes, worse solution, but one that could also make everyone with older GPUs a bit happy, they bet on that the appearances postponing a true competitor. And by the likes of it they will end partnering with Intel's open source solution, a decision that will even free then from the coast of having to train the algorithm.

//DEVIL//

this news means nothing to me really. what I want is LHR unlocker. I do not mine. I do not really care much about it. but I do not like to feel I have an inferior product.

Top Bottom