• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak: Switch 2 to use Orin T239 Nvidia Soc , PS4 and PS4 pro performance Without DLSS

Bernoulli

M2 slut
this has been leaked long time ago, but it means it will have PS4 power in portable mode and PS4 pro docked

this is without counting DLSS, and if nintendo uses enough Ram and UFS 3.1 or better storage it is going to be pretty close to current consoles
CPU should have better performance than both PS4 and pro

Switch Next/2/NG/Whatever will use a custom SOC based of Orin. It's called T239 Drake.
It's existence was rumored ever since 2021 by known Nvidia leaker Kopite7kimi.

And after Nvidia suffered an illegal data breach from a hacker attack(Which was confirmed by Nvidia themselves), a bunch of files related to multiple in-development hardware at Nvidia were thoroughly analyzed and it was found files and code related to NVN2 and T239.
NVN is the API developed by Nvidia exclusively for Nintendo Switch and NVN2 is the API developed for the next Nintendo hardware.
NVN2 specifically calls for T239 SoC and also calls for the entire amount of GPU shader cores of T239(In case some of you say some SMs will be deactived to increase yields).

Furthermore, T239 was validated as a real SoC due to Linux4T(Linux for Tegra) recent commits and code making open reference to T239. Such reference also confirmed that T239 contains a single cluster with up to 8 cores. That's basically the gist of it. The data about this can be found around the web.

T239 Drake:

12 SMs - 1536 Ampere CUDA Cores. Does have RT Cores (1 per SM) and Tensor Cores (4 per SM)
8 Cortex A78C cores

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Lol, not gonna happen.
the chip will be revolutionary, just like the X1 in 2015

NVIDIA Launches Tegra X1 Mobile Super Chip​

Maxwell GPU Architecture Delivers First Teraflops Mobile Processor, Powering Deep Learning and Computer Vision Applications

Little Mac

Gold Member
Yeah Right Judging You GIF

This is Nintendo we're talking about, right?

Saber

Gold Member
PS4 its just a little abit believable.
But PS4 pro? You guys are way too obessessed with this power stuff. To the point of stupidly and blindy believe Nintendo even cares about those aspects in a new console. They don't.
We are reaching Bloodborne port rumors levels of rumors. Just wishfull thinking.

Reallink

The new info would be the number of SM's/Cores, which I'm unclear where OP is pulling this info. Being Ampere based means the cores and teraflops are "double counted" Vs. the way PS4, PS5, and older GPU's calculated it (this is why the "9TF" Rog Ally is light years behind a 10TF PS5, and in actuality only marginally bests an OG PS4 while remaining WELL behind nearly decade old 4TF GTX1060/GTX970's.

So assuming it's true, this would translate to anywhere between 3TF (1Ghz, a possible portable mode clock) and 8TF (a cutting edge TSMC node and potential docked clock of 2.5Ghz) in the new double counted standard--which would be 1.5TF - 4TF by PS4/PS5's teraflop calculation standard. Clocks will vary wildly depending on the node and how low Nintendo underclocks it (likely into the dirt based on Switch 1). You'd be looking at something 30-50% slower than a laptop (mobile) RTX 3050.

Last edited:

Fbh

Would be awesome. Ps4 pro hardware with DLSS would almost make it a current gen machine.

But I seriously doubt it, not only because of the battery life but because Nintendo is very profit driven and I doubt they want to charge $500 for the system.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
The headline is confusing. Is it "without DLSS" as in, DLSS is not supposed, or is it offering PS4 performance + DLSS?

Because DLSS needs hardware on the SOC to run, and that is space that could be allocated in other areas if they feel it is better suited there.
PS4 and PS4 pro performance are portable and Docked Without the use of DLSS
even better performance when using DLSS because it has dedicated Tensor cores for it

blacktout

The headline is confusing. Is it "without DLSS" as in, DLSS is not supposed, or is it offering PS4 performance + DLSS?

I was confused about this initially, but after reading the OP, I'm pretty sure it's the latter, or, more accurately, "PS4 performance without accounting for DLSS."

mrcroket

Come to think of it... if their chip is based on the latest from nvidia, the switch 2 could have better raytracing performance than ps5/sx.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

Because DLSS needs hardware on the SOC to run, and that is space that could be allocated in other areas if they feel it is better suited there.
Agreed about it being confusing but I think the intent was it would have that level of performance without accounting for DLSS, the idea being DLSS would certainly bump things up even more.

But it’s hard to say if that’s true or not. In any case, if BC is in with enhancements I’m in day 1

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Ya but if Nintendo wants dlss and nvidia charges $1 per unit, Nintendo will drop it.

Seriously though, this could be interesting if true, though I'm still hoping for 2 skews. (A portable and a powerfull regular console that both have day and date games)

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Kopite7kimi is a trustable source when it comes to Nvidia leaks. I would take this leak honestly seriously.

and if we going to have PS4 level in portable mode, I will say game over to every console in the market.
The question is is that number with or before dlss in implemented.. because if it’s before then yeah it’s going to be hard to beat.

lachesis

I am little skeptical of true PS4/Pro level in real life (depending on resolution, especially) - but always would be happy to be wrong. :)
New HW news are always fun!

Bry0

Guys the ps4 pro is 7 years old. This is a slightly lower core count than an RTX 3050 which is 25-30% faster than a 1060/480 ps4 pro. When docked running at full clock it should match/beat ps4 pro gpu without dlss pretty easily. It’s really not that hard to believe.

EDIT: in fact 2048 cuda cores matches the 3050m, which is about on par with a 1060 which was similar to a ps4 pro.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

We've known that since the Nvidia hack. It's great news but the console won't much much different relative to its competitors than the switch was on release; less than that would actually be a disappointment.

The switch was better than the PS3/xbox360 on release, it's not too surprising that a 2024 switch 2 would be better than the PS4 and even tickle the PS4 pro.

The real joker here is DLSS which can be a great equalizer as the competition is in bed with AMD; and the fact that Microsoft did Nintendo a solid by releasing the Xbox series S. Also, Nvidia's advantage regarding rtx could make a difference, though I'm not sure what to expect for such low power machine.

Now, with that being said, there's more to a console than it's GPU and the switch 2 will still be markedly behind the competition in terms of CPU, memory bandwidth, SSD speed etc. Which makes sense, it's an hybrid console. So don't worry, warriors, your big boy console will remain more powerful.

Going with Nvidia was a great move and Nintendo is very well positioned to remain market leader unless they really fumble the bag. Which they still can, it's Nintendo.

Bry0

That would be awesome if true. IMO Nintendo really makes beautiful games even on cheaper hardware.
Yeah I think going with nvidia will be good for a device like this. I suspect DLSS will do a ton of heavy lifting when it comes to docking it to a modern tv. IQ is going to scale up to bigger tvs much better than the current switch.

Buggy Loop

I would hope so?

Even that would be a tad late to the party.

Snapdragon next gen XR chipset which will be used on Quest 3 and many other devices is basically a PS4 in power with 2.4TFlops and is super efficient in power, even more than Apple.

Nvidia only matching that would almost be an insult to their mobile chipset division. And they ain’t making a custom chip for Nintendo of the likes of 2 tegra duct taped together, Nvidia develops a chip for other purposes and makes minor tweaks for customers. Would cost more for Nintendo to R&D a janky chipset to their janky needs than buying Nvidia’s readily available architecture.

Steam deck’s 1.4 TFlops which can run Ratchet in clank in a relatively impressive manner (very good looking for mobile) would look even better on a Switch 2 with DLSS

It’s not comparable to PS5 in you start to compare but does it not look amazing on small screen? Go to 2.5~3 TFlops and I think a lot of current gen games could be ported (with downgrade but would remarkably look similar). This gen so far has questionable “current gen” exclusives that could easily pass for a PS4 game with a few tweaks. That’s what Switch 2 would be close to (but with ML/RT/DLSS)

Top Bottom