• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

So got my Palit Super Jetstream. Installed fine (ooh, led's). What's a good free benchmark I can use? Obviously I'll try a few games too but a general benchmark would be nice. I've seen people use Firestrike so I can get that on Steam?

Paganmoon

So got my Palit Super Jetstream. Installed fine (ooh, led's). What's a good free benchmark I can use? Obviously I'll try a few games too but a general benchmark would be nice. I've seen people use Firestrike so I can get that on Steam?

you can run the 3dmark11 demo and the firestrike demo on steam, both are free.

It's interesting to see which games still don't perform as well as you'd expect. GTAV is pretty good @1440p with only the grass settings down a notch. But both Fallout 4 and Xcom 2 have issues, even at 1080p. With Fallout it's the godrays and shadow distance and Xcom 2 well, I turned the shadows down to low and managed 60fps during Retaliation missions which tend to be the most graphically intense. But we all know neither of those games are particularly good examples. And in both cases my GPU was only maxing at 50%. I do have mods, mind you, but no ENB's or ReShade or other graphic enhancements.
I'll take a look at a few others like Total War Warhammer, Doom and The Division and see how they perform.

Right packed up my 1080 and shipped it off for RMA. Store is going to test it first. Hope it's as busted for them as it is for me. Not looking forward to getting that thing back.

The Division works well @1440p at MAX settings. Very pretty. Same with Rise of the Tomb Raider. Had a look at 4xSSAA @1080p and it was super clean but I only got 33fps in the Geothermal area. Best result was 1440p with SMAA and everything at max. It's a pretty good PC port by Nixxes.

dr_rus

It's interesting to see which games still don't perform as well as you'd expect. GTAV is pretty good @1440p with only the grass settings down a notch. But both Fallout 4 and Xcom 2 have issues, even at 1080p. With Fallout it's the godrays and shadow distance and Xcom 2 well, I turned the shadows down to low and managed 60fps during Retaliation missions which tend to be the most graphically intense. But we all know neither of those games are particularly good examples. And in both cases my GPU was only maxing at 50%. I do have mods, mind you, but no ENB's or ReShade or other graphic enhancements.
I'll take a look at a few others like Total War Warhammer, Doom and The Division and see how they perform.

Not sure about Xcom2 but FO4 is a known case of a heavily CPU limited engine.

BizzyBum

I'm trying to overlock using OC Scanner X but the "Run" button in grayed out when I try to test it. Do you have to have an EVGA card for this to work?

Trojan

If I'm looking for best out-of-the-box solution with highest speed and best cooling, should I get the ZOTAC AMP or the EVGA FTW? Need some recs, Gaf.

EDIT: or other recommendations if you have them.

BlazinAm

Got the Zotac 1080 amp for $639.99 at Microcenter. They have a sale going on til the 14th so if you're looking for a small deal I guess check them out.

demigod

If I'm looking for best out-of-the-box solution with highest speed and best cooling, should I get the ZOTAC AMP or the EVGA FTW? Need some recs, Gaf.

EDIT: or other recommendations if you have them.

Zotac Extreme or Gigabyte Xtreme. EVGA is good for their warranty.

Just got my card after waiting over a month... holy crap this card is massive! It's slightly longer than my old R9 290 but it's nearly double the thickness! Loving it so far with G-Sync and the X34 I'm super happy :)

26jOzpE.jpg

hNYhKB6.jpg

KHRW0eg.jpg

Not sure about Xcom2 but FO4 is a known case of a heavily CPU limited engine.
Damn. I've got a 4790k@4.4ghz which isn't the best but is no slouch. What a horrible engine FO4 has.
Assassins Creed Syndicate is pretty good @1440p. All max except the shadow options and AA. Did try at 4K and set to high (no AA and SSAO) it's almost doable. In fact all these games are doable at 4K if I reduce the options one way or the other but I find 1440p gives the best results.

So I just had a couple of windfalls within the past month and am debating on what my next major PC purchase should be. I basically have $700 to spend and trying to figure out what would be the best bang for my buck on the following:

1) A second Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 (which I would have to find / wait for stock online) for SLI.

2) A G-Sync gaming monitor (preferably some combo of 4K, widescreen, 144hz).

3) A VR rig, either Oculus or Vive (haven't done the research on which is better).

What say you, Gaf? The rest of my rig is pretty decent. CPU is an i7-6700K, mobo is Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, 16GB of DDR4 ram, yadda yadda.

Invis

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but how is GTA V supposed to perform on a 1080 FTW paired with a 2500K @ 4.5GHz at 1440p? Cause I'm dipping under 60fps with everything on very high, nothing on ultra, and all extended sliders disabled. MSAA 2x w/ TXAA as well.

2) A G-Sync gaming monitor (preferably some combo of 4K, widescreen, 144hz).

Without a doubt, I would pick the g-sync monitor. By far the best gaming related peripheral I have ever bought. Saves me so much dicking around with settings and it allows me to have a smooth experience nearly all of the time instead of just some of the time. I think the tech is just a monumental improvement. Probably as big as the jump from black and white to color was for tvs. Maybe bigger if you understand what it does.

ncslamm

I bought the FTW reject card from newegg last night (FTW DT). Reviews say you can still OC it but I'm expecting I won't be able to do as much OCing as other cards which is fine with me. As long as I have a smooth 1440p experience with ESO, OW, DOOM, and Battlefield 1 I'll be happy.

All results here in Time Spy are in 1440p or 1080p ?

Thanks ;)

Unless you pay extra on top of the 3DMark suite to unlock the custom settings Time Spy renders at 1440p by default, so I guess we can assume most of the scores posted here are 1440p (not that I'm calling anyone here cheap, most of us did spend upwards of $650 on a graphics card after all).

Little info, upgrading to the Windows 10 Anniversary upgrade will reset a lot of stuff. Check your NVCP.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4vzv5h/psa_windows_10_anniversary_update_messing_with/

Thanks for that!

Najaf

Right packed up my 1080 and shipped it off for RMA. Store is going to test it first. Hope it's as busted for them as it is for me. Not looking forward to getting that thing back.

If it's a week old, just return it to the store and get a new one off the shelf. The store doesn't need to test anything.

If the store gives you any grief, contact evga direct. Best customer service in the business. Make sure you register your product with them on their site, which has always been quick and painless for me. I've had to rma cards with them before and it could not have been more painless.

But seriously, if it's only a week old, you don't need to wait. Simply return the faulty product for a full refund and grab a new one.

Hey guys what's the ideal setting for a G Sync monitor (Acer X34) and a GTX 1080? Right now I have it set to G Sync for windowed and full screen mode and V Sync is on Fast. Is this right and do I need to change anything else?

e90Mark

Little question, I will grab my GTX 1080 FTW today.

EVGA Precision OC X or MSI Afterburner ?
MSI Afterburner.

I'm not sure if OCX has been updated lately, but when these tools were first released for Pascal, OCX would not save profiles and was just generally obtuse to use. If you've used Afterburner before, it works exactly the same.
EVGA for the warranty and customer service.

Lmao.

MikeSan

MSI Afterburner.

I'm not sure if OCX has been updated lately, but when these tools were first released for Pascal, OCX would not save profiles and was just generally obtuse to use. If you've used Afterburner before, it works exactly the same.

I'm used to MSI Afterburner but I will give a chance to OCX and see, if I'm not happy with it then i'll go back to Afterburner.

Vuze

MSI Afterburner.

Lmao.
They thankfully issued a few patches and I'm pretty happy with OCX right now. Profiles are saved, LED config is now stored in the BIOS (it seems) so no more need to run OCX if you only do that, no more random boot ups of the OC scanner.
If only MSI, EVGA etc would do away from these game-y UIs, they are horrible all together.

CpRBe

Neo Member
I'm a little bit disappointed. I have a EVGA 1080 SC with stock freq and a i7 6700k @ 4.4Ghz and i'm only hit 6050 in the Time Spy Benchmark.

A idea ?

Thanks a lot ;)

Najaf

Context helps with a remark like that. If you had a poor experience with them, then please do share. With me, EVGA earned a customer for life in how they went above and beyond in the past.

Here is a thread from others praising their service: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1130453&page=1

I recounted my own positive experience here:
Just a heads up for Nvidia card buyers:

I stumbled into purchasing EVGA cards after my SLI Gigabyte cards proved prone to overheating when in SLI due to the top draw fans.

I have since found EVGA customer support is top tier. For my two+ year old build, I had two GTX 460 cards in SLI. These models were covered by EVGA's limited lifetime warranty. They also allow for easy digital registration of the cards by simply using NewEggs email invoice.

So a little over two and a half years in and my top card is hitting 99 C during Bioshock Infinite and Far Cry 3 and throttling according to MSI Afterburner.

I make a phone call to the guys at EVGA and after I described the circumstances, they immediately created an RMA for the overheating card. They seemed to understand that I knew what I was talking about, as I preemptively covered airflow, clock settings and power supply capacity. So they did not pester me with the steriotypical tech support questions that get read out of a book. "Is the computer plugged in sir?" anyone?

Immediate RMA goes out. I opted to have my replacement card cross shipped, a process where they charge collateral to my credit card and they immediately send out the replacement while they await my card. Then, after they process the RMA, they credit my card back.

They informed me that their policy is to not break anyone's SLI settup, so I should watch to see what product they send out and if it was a different model (2gb vs. 1gb, or a step up model) I should call them back. Turns out they are sending me a GTX 560, which I saw today after they automatically registered it to my profile. I called them up, told them as much, and now they are sending out a second GTX 560 and I am simply putting both of my cards in the same package out to them. And, to make things better, my limited lifetime warranty for the GTX 460 cards will cary over to the 560 model, even though that particular model only has a limited 3 year warranty by default.

I could not be happier. For my next build, I'm going to stick with them for GPUs of course, but I am now also heavily considering them for my mobo, some of which also offer lifetime warranties.

So give EVGA some thought in the future. As NewEgg has proved up, great customer service goes a long way in the tech field.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22705778 Link to my post here on GAF for my original build in 2010

e90Mark

Context helps with a remark like that. If you had a poor experience with them, then please do share. With me, EVGA earned a customer for life in how they went above and beyond in the past.

Here is a thread from others praising their service: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1130453&page=1

I recounted my own positive experience here:

It has nothing to do with EVGA in general. I'm an EVGA fan and am using some of their products today in my current build.

I was laughing, because the post you replied to was asking which OC software to use, not which brand to pick.

Najaf

It has nothing to do with EVGA in general. I'm an EVGA fan and am using some of their products today in my current build.

I was laughing, because the post you replied to was asking which OC software to use, not which brand to pick.

LOL. I completely missed that. touché. touché. ;-)

ClearData

Are the prices I'm seeing on Newegg inflated for the aftermarket cards? I read an article stating that regular MSRP is $599 or $699 (Founders). I'm seeing cards as high as $700 for an Asus Strix model.

I'm better off waiting for things to stabilize into normal MSRP, right? Or is this what I should expect from now on?

Are the prices I'm seeing on Newegg inflated for the aftermarket cards? I read an article stating that regular MSRP is $599 or $699 (Founders). I'm seeing cards as high as $700 for an Asus Strix model.

I'm better off waiting for things to stabilize into normal MSRP, right? Or is this what I should expect from now on?

What you should expect until amd release something that can compete. So probably next year

dr_rus

Considering that the cheapest one I see on nowinstock is $649 for a EVGA card with custom cooler but stock clocks yeah, the prices are still some $30 higher than they should be.

EVGA 1080 SC here

My Core Clock jumps between 2050 - 1999

Any idea why?

Power Limit - 120
Temp Limit - 92
Core Clock - +80
Memory Clock - +400

Top Bottom