• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

EVGA is really banking on their popularity as having the best customer service to keep their good standing with their customers.

There is no reason these cards should have came out this late and still get delayed while virtually every other major manufacturer has 2+ models out. EVGA should have been one of the first aftermarket cards available IMO. Not getting your card until a week later because you didn't get an order in a 10 minute window when their site was taking a shitter from the traffic is not okay.

Yep...I agree. Especially w/ a top end card like this. The longer you have it, ultimately the more value you get from it. ya know. It's already been out for over a 3-4 weeks from others

SZips

I'm also in the camp of waiting for EVGA to get shipments out. I pre-ordered the SC2 through Amazon weeks back but still nothing. It's borderline absurd at this point.

Amazon won't be getting their shipments of cards in until all order from EVGA are fulfilled. Same story with Newegg, B&H, etc. Hopefully you aren't waiting too long.

With how similar all the aftermarket 1080tis perform and having bought 4 different ones myself getting any one of them is fine really. The high-end GPU market moves so fast that you lose quite a bit of value waiting this long for a card if you are an enthusiast.

SC2 Hybrids are up at Newegg as well. Been that way for about 45 minutes so they could be gone quick.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487346

The Dude

EVGA is really banking on their popularity as having the best customer service to keep their good standing with their customers.

There is no reason these cards should have came out this late and still get delayed while virtually every other major manufacturer has 2+ models out. EVGA should have been one of the first aftermarket cards available IMO. Not getting your card until a week later because you didn't get an order in a 10 minute window when their site was taking a shitter from the traffic is not okay.

Yea, I did everything I could to get it instantly pretty much and it still wasn't good enough.

I'm only hanging on because i feel ill get a decent gpu, but I need and update of some sorts and need this heading in the shipment direction and soon.

The Dude

See I'm all sorts of messed up because the idea for me was get this and hopefully it rocks, then my Aorus Goes back to Newegg for either A. Replacement to sell or B. If no stock they refund me.

But at this point I'm sort of messed up because part of me wants to RMA the Aorus and try another, but when i get my evga I'm gonna want to use it and if it's the card I want to keep ill have them an open aorus. Just sucks all around, evga is really bugging me

I'd RMA the Aorus personally. I had problems with mine and was able to get a refund seems that the card has had the most problems out of all of them from the forums I've been frequenting.

You know the FTW3 will be good and if it isn't EVGA always takes care of its customers. If the cards get sent out in the month that is....

Update from the guy on Reddit who got his FTW3 already...

Update on benchmarks and OC:

Mine is stable @ 2075mhz. Hovers around 2062-75 while playing BF1 and stress test.

Idles @ 24-25c, Under load is 61-62c with default fan curve. Really silent. can barely hear the fans, sometimes they dont spin at all.

Time Spy score is 8948 with Graphics score: 10514, Firestike is 20114 with Graphics score of 30450, Firestrike ultra is 7080 with Graphics score of 7250, Heaven Benchmark @1440p 163fps score: 4100 Temp@ 52c

Weevilone

EVGA is a much smaller company than the likes of Gigabyte, MSI, Asus. It took them longer for the 1080s too, and the ICX thing is still relatively new. I'm not surprised a bit.

The Dude

I'd RMA the Aorus personally. I had problems with mine and was able to get a refund seems that the card has had the most problems out of all of them from the forums I've been frequenting.

You know the FTW3 will be good and if it isn't EVGA always takes care of its customers. If the cards get sent out in the month that is....

Oh I am, just didn't want to be without a gpu in the transition Is all since I sold my 1080 during this. Also do you think Newegg would refund given the widespread issues?

SZips

Amazon won't be getting their shipments of cards in until all order from EVGA are fulfilled. Same story with Newegg, B&H, etc. Hopefully you aren't waiting too long.

Which is kind of crap given that I've seen the SC2 in stock at Newegg now a couple of times. Jacob from EVGA even Tweeted out that it's been in stock a couple of times at Newegg. It's not listed as a third-party retailer as I'm looking at it right now. It says it's in stock and that it's "sold and shipped by: Newegg" right there.

I don't mean that you or your statement is crap, I just mean that something is woefully wrong with the lack of shipments to Amazon. The only time I've ever seen this in stock there is from third-party retailers for a price that is $110 more than the sold/shipped through Amazon price was.

I'm on a 770 now and have been for some years. I can keep waiting. I've done so now for quite a while as I decided what I wanted to upgrade to. But it is a bit more difficult now since it has been ordered and there's only been radio silence.

Weevilone

Which is kind of crap given that I've seen the SC2 in stock at Newegg now a couple of times. Jacob from EVGA even Tweeted out that it's been in stock a couple of times at Newegg. It's not listed as a third-party retailer as I'm looking at it right now. It says it's in stock and that it's "sold and shipped by: Newegg" right there.

I don't mean that you or your statement is crap, I just mean that something is woefully wrong with the lack of shipments to Amazon. The only time I've ever seen this in stock there is from third-party retailers for a price that is $110 more than the sold/shipped through Amazon price was.

I'm on a 770 now and have been for some years. I can keep waiting. I've done so now for quite a while as I decided what I wanted to upgrade to. But it is a bit more difficult now since it has been ordered and there's only been radio silence.

I think Newegg gets some priority because they are literally minutes away from EVGA in CA. If not priority then it's just giving Newegg a supply chain advantage with EVGA.

Are there any real benefits to getting a FTW3 over FE if it's going under water?

I thought FE's main advantages were price and standardization. I'm not a water cooling person, but thought you wanted a standard PCB so you could get blocks.. or something.

I'm sitting here with an FE Ti that I got for nearly nothing via ICX upgrade then step-up. I have a black Elite FTW3 on order and it's without a doubt the better card... but I may cancel the FTW3. The FE is doing what I need it to, which is 3440x1440 and the occasional 4K GameStream to Nvidia Shield on my TV. I just don't see the FTW3 pushing ahead enough to warrant the extra bucks, plus the sale of my FE. Pondered giving the FE to my kid but not sure an 11 year old playing Rowblox (sp?) needs it. Not sure what it would fetch on the sales forum here, like a week or two old I think.

longdi

Banned
I will get the hybrid over ftw, if your case has space. Ime as long the 1080ti is cooled below 60c, you can set +100 offset and it will still boost beyond 2ghz(the OCD perfect clock).

You dont really need a heavy and long card with tons of vrms and 8+8 pins. Nvidia has locked too much shit down and pascal is pushed as optimal as heat will allows it to. Vram oc is down to ram lottery, i got mine FE to do 12gbps(+500) but i seen some struggling to go beyond +400.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So, is there any consensus on which 1080tis are performing the best? I'm not in any rush as I have to save up for my new build, but I'm curious. For years now, I have stuck by EVGA and maybe I should continue to do so? If they can get these cards out anyway.

AlterOdin

So, is there any consensus on which 1080tis are performing the best? I'm not in any rush as I have to save up for my new build, but I'm curious. For years now, I have stuck by EVGA and maybe I should continue to do so? If they can get these cards out anyway.

My understanding (can be wrong) is that the 1080ti's perform more or less the same, as Nvidia has more or less maxed out the chip, ie thermals are not the "problem", but physical limitation of the hardware. Performace diff, is most likely, up to the "silicon lottery". Would be more concerned with noise.

I was tired of waiting, and just bought a MSI Gaming X 1080Ti, pretty happy with (quiet). Only now my PSU is starting to reach jet fan speeds. Guess it has done a good job in 9 years, time for a new one.

No consensus because there's not a lot of proof. Personally if I wasn't putting my Ti on water I'd go with another Hybrid (1080 was an EVGA Hybrid). Likely more stable at higher clocks and quieter, although as AlterOdin pointed out, temps don't really seem to be the issue. If you threw a custom BIOS on there though you may have more headroom for OC'ing.

The EVGA SC2 Hybrid is pricey at $809 but if you were going for, say, a FTW3, that's $779 so small difference.

I am just stating what I've read on their official forums. As far as I know only people that got in early on orders from EVGA and got next day/2nd day shipping are the only ones that have received their cards. I am referring to the FTW3 in this case.

I've only seen the SC2 hybrid in stock recently and don't know if those cards shipped from Newegg yet or not.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Still no FTW3 reviews. Got to wonder why EVGA was so late out of the gate with this. Did their previous failure scare them that much?

Still no FTW3 reviews. Got to wonder why EVGA was so late out of the gate with this. Did their previous failure scare them that much?

https://www.bjorn3d.com/2017/05/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-ftw3-gaming-review-unleash-the-beast11g-p4-6696-kr/

This is the only one I've seen. Will wait for more since my card won't be getting shipped until the 5th now:

ZlwMARJ.png

I'm a little pissed off, I got one of the bad Aorus Extreme which can't even hold the factory Overclock setting without crashing nearly instantly. It's on it's way back to Newegg and I'm praying it will get back to them for RMA between restocks so I can just get refunded and buy the damn Strix instead. I regret my impatience buying Gigabyte now, I should know better.

paskowitz

My SC2 can overclocked to the same amount they did, so I guess the difference is just the cooling and voltage control (potentially giving you more bang for your silicon lottety pick?)

Looks to me like the fan curve is pretty conservative. One thing I've noticed about these reviews is that they don't log thermals in direct conjunction with noise levels. It's impossible to say one card performs better than another when there is no control in the test (25dba, at ###rpm gives to you ##c° thermals).

GamersNexus FTW3 review is up.

Says it's hard to justify the increased cost because of the fact that the Pascal GPU itself (and Nvidia's limitations in it) kind of hold the over engineered PCB/VRM/Cooler back

SC2, Gaming X and Aorus are a better deal as you can basically max out Pascal with those and get close to the FTW3 for less cost.

Weevilone

Says it's hard to justify the increased cost because of the fact that the Pascal GPU itself (and Nvidia's limitations in it) kind of hold the over engineered PCB/VRM/Cooler back

SC2, Gaming X and Aorus are a better deal as you can basically max out Pascal with those and get close to the FTW3 for less cost.

The dual BIOS is the differentiating feature and would be the reason I'd lean that way, personally.

I would up keeping an FE though, really like it.

Hmm I might just end up cancelling my order. The Zotac is quieter, cooler, and faster than the FTW3.

The card only cost me $750 instead of the $780 it is going for. The 2 slot design is nice but I have tons of room in my case so the size of the Zotac is not an issue. I am sure with a normal fan curve the FTW3 will be just as hot or hotter than the other cards.

paskowitz

Pretty disappointing TBH. Although I find it funny that they are going to do exactly what I mentioned in my last post and control dba and measure temps.

I would have figured the bulkier power delivery would have reduced temps, especially compared to the SC2. Somebody really should benchmark the card with a shunt mod and see if that makes a difference. I've been told Pascal can gain clocks up to 1.2v (need shunt mod) on water (Nvidia limit is ~1.09).

The Dude

Well I'm stumped on what to do then.. I'm disappointed, I thought this was over engineered and just totally beast?

I'm just debating if I should RMA my Aorus and simply try another out.. If I had one that didn't stutter then I'd be happy..

Damn evga, I just thought this was the one.

Weevilone

Well I'm stumped on what to do then.. I'm disappointed, I thought this was over engineered and just totally beast?

I'm just debating if I should RMA my Aorus and simply try another out.. If I had one that didn't stutter then I'd be happy..

I'm not understanding the disappointment. It's an over-engineered beast, but it's still big Pascal. The 1080 era was no different in terms of there being little to differentiate the options in terms of performance.

The Dude

I'm still gonna just hold down for it, mine is supposed to ship tomorrow and I have an Aorus going back due to stuttering so it is what it is.

longdi

Banned

Go for the hybrid or seahawk. As long you keep the pascal core below 65 degrees, you can run your games at 2ghz. Heat is the main factor for core clock. Most if not all 1080ti can run >2ghz. Its when temps hit above 70s, you will see clocks drop 13mhz each time, 1986~1973~1961. No over volting or shunting can help if you cant keep things cool

ChRoNiTe

Now I don't feel bad about cancelling my FTW3 pre-order Tuesday morning. The SC2 I ordered instead will be arriving tomorrow.

The Dude

Go for the hybrid or seahawk. As long you keep the pascal core below 65 degrees, you can run your games at 2ghz. Heat is the main factor for core clock. Most if not all 1080ti can run >2ghz. Its when temps hit above 70s, you will see clocks drop 13mhz each time, 1986~1973~1961. No over volting or shunting can help if you cant keep things cool

Well what I'm doing so far is This, Newegg is going to refund me on my Aorus. I'm gonna check out my ftw3, I got the pre order discount price so I'm still at regular price overall... And then I'll go from there.

My Aorus was nice cept for its issues, it held 2038 most of the time and a little bitter at times, and stayed mid 50 temp wise but it stuttered. However I just updated the bios and it seems better, but I don't want tied to Newegg so I'm still gonna RMA it. Gonna see how my ftw3 does first overall

paskowitz

Sorry for the unjustified hype. Based on the PCB I would have at least assumed better thermals due to a cleaner power delivery.

I would not be surprised if sales of cards like the FTW3 start to slump. Only card I would pay a premium on is a hybrid. At least there are you definitively getting lower temps at a given noise level.

The Dude

Sorry for the unjustified hype. Based on the PCB I would have at least assumed better thermals due to a cleaner power delivery.

I would not be surprised if sales of cards like the FTW3 start to slump. Only card I would pay a premium on is a hybrid. At least there are you definitively getting lower temps at a given noise level.

Do you feel it's different tho for getting the instant rebate they offered in pre ordered? Because thats the main perk for my pre order was not paying full price.

Weevilone

Well what I'm doing so far is This, Newegg is going to refund me on my Aorus. I'm gonna check out my ftw3, I got the pre order discount price so I'm still at regular price overall... And then I'll go from there.

My Aorus was nice cept for its issues, it held 2038 most of the time and a little bitter at times, and stayed mid 50 temp wise but it stuttered. However I just updated the bios and it seems better, but I don't want tied to Newegg so I'm still gonna RMA it. Gonna see how my ftw3 does first overall

I don't understand the stuttering thing. Has there been any report of this happening with a particular card?

There isn't that much that differs between the cards, so I can't see how one particular card would stutter if it's not doing something crazy with clocks. That sounds like something stealing resources, or a driver/app issue.

Sky Chief

Did anyone seriously think the FTW3 would turn out any differently? I was telling people it would be almost comparable to the Aorus, Strix, etc..., with a worse cooling solution since it was announced and was only worth waiting for if you want that EVGA customer service.

The Dude

I don't understand the stuttering thing. Has there been any report of this happening with a particular card?

There isn't that much that differs between the cards, so I can't see how one particular card would stutter if it's not doing something crazy with clocks. That sounds like something stealing resources, or a driver/app issue.

I'd love ideas If you had some but I've tried so many things. But the thing is from the get go I had issues, errors, crashes, windows locking up until I figured out msi was killing it with a start up profile, I mean it's sort of been endless with it and yet it holds great Temps, clock etc...

I've been using evga cards now for years and years, never had any issues that I couldn't work out. When I installed the gpu I ran that disc which put aorus engine on and I still had precison three, didn't realize tho exact that aorus engine was similar type of overlay program.

But I'm not sure if it's maybe the fact my Psu is just older, it'd a corsair tx750w and maybe it's borderline not giving the power the gpu needs... I'm just not sure.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Did anyone seriously think the FTW3 would turn out any differently? I was telling people it would be almost comparable to the Aorus, Strix, etc..., with a worse cooling solution since it was announced and was only worth waiting for if you want that EVGA customer service.

Not seriously no, but held out a bit of hope for a perfect looking 2 slot card that would be equally as good as the rest. Sadly it appears middle of the pack with a higher noise to performance ratio.

It feels like the cards to get are the SC2 or Gaming X for cost/noise/performance balance.

I said it too. EVGA always uses the minimum cooling they can get away with. Always.

That being said, I'm not exactly happy with Aorus right now either. Please refund me Newegg, I just want a Strix :(

Weevilone

I haven't scoured the internet for every scrap of FTW3 info, but I don't see where the cooling solution is worse than the other cards. In fact what I read described it as over engineered.

Top Bottom