• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti launch/review day - 2017/03/09

Lol I know what you mean, I've probably run 3DMarks 25 times since I bought this card :p And the worst thing is that the score can vary quite a bit, sometimes I increase something in Afterburner but in the benchmark the final score is lower than it was before just because of the variations. And in the end of the day we're probably talking about a few fps of difference when we're already well above 60fps, so it's not all that important for gaming I think. But it's kinda fun in a weird way. I've never done it before so for me it's like trying a new game out, I mean you even have a leaderboard of sorts ;)
I'll try the voltage thing once I've read up on it a bit more.

Edit: For some reason I'm locked out of the voltage tweaking. Even when booting in LN2 mode. Why is that??
Is the MSI Gaming App issue showing itself this way?It can't be started at my computer for some reason.
Afterburner says GeForce GTX 1080 TI, not MSI GTX 1080Ti Lightning Z as can be seen in the screenshots at Guru3D in their review.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-lightning-z-review,38.html
I've used their guide to click unlock voltage control etc but the nub is still grayed out for me.

Sometimes you have to do this:

Step 1: Go to your MSI Afterburner Profiles folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles)
Step 2: Right-click the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." and go > Properties > Security
Step 3: Select "Edit" and then click on "Users (username\Users)" and with the permission boxes below, check "Allow" for the first box - Full control. Click OK and OK again (this allows the file to be saved after editing it).
Step 4: Now you can open the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." in WordPad and replace everything you see with this:

[Startup]
Format=2
CoreVoltageBoost=
PowerLimit=
ThermalLimit=
ThermalPrioritize=
CoreClkBoost=
MemClkBoost=
[Settings]
VDDC_Generic_Detection=1

Step 5: Save the file and restart MSI Afterburner

This assumes you've already checked the box for unlock voltage in AB.

MrBS

Picked up the MSI gamer x yesterday for a new build. I stuck it in the old PC with my 2600k and still saw some great boosts. All that vram comes in handy. Now 4k can be a thing woo!

Hmmm, so about 6 degrees.

Sums up the 1080ti situation nicely. They're pretty much all good. But some of them are louder than others.

I will say this though. When pushing the Strix as hard as I possibly can, I can not hear the fans and the temps are still around 68 degrees max. In the summer. That's freakin amazing if you ask me.

I chose it over the MSI based on aesthetics though :)

Sums up the 1080ti situation nicely. They're pretty much all good. But some of them are louder than others.

I will say this though. When pushing the Strix as hard as I possibly can, I can not hear the fans and the temps are still around 68 degrees max. In the summer. That's freakin amazing if you ask me.

I chose it over the MSI based on aesthetics though :)

Damn you must have lucked out or have some really nice ambient. Are you using custom fan curve?

Picked up the MSI gamer x yesterday for a new build. I stuck it in the old PC with my 2600k and still saw some great boosts. All that vram comes in handy. Now 4k can be a thing woo!

Not sure which games you're playing but as someone who just went from a 2600k (with 1080Ti) to a 7700k I can tell you there are some titles which the 2600k will bottleneck.

Just goes to main site.

My i5-4690 is getting destroyed as well.

The Skylake-X/Coffee Lake/Ryzen puzzle is killing me.

What are you playing that's bottlenecking an i5-4690? Are you OC'd? Is it Battlefield 1?

I'm super happy I have a 5820K. The sweet spot that thing occupies continues to be amazing even today. You can't really do much better today with any of Intel or AMD's current offerings.

etta

my hard graphic balls

We must be strong brother, we must wait for Cannonlake! We must persevere!
Kaby Lake X is half-assed, I really don’t wanna get it, and I want to get Ryzen even less. Ugh,

Vlaphor

I'm having weird feelings about this card. Everything I've seen told me that this was the 4k card, yet a good chunk of games will not run too well in 4k. Nier Automata has terrible frame pacing in 4k and I had to drop it down to 1440, Mass Effect Andromeda is the same way in 4k (and the fps is kinda bad also), I have Watch Dogs 2 set up for the "not really 4k but can fake it", and even then the fps hovers around the mid 40's. Overwatch and Street Fighter V run great in 4k, but those aren't really demanding games.

It might be my setup, which is a 4790k running at 4.4ghz and a 16gb of DDR3 ram, but I kinda doubt it. Anyone else have not feeling that this card is not living up to the hype?

I'm having weird feelings about this card. Everything I've seen told me that this was the 4k card, yet a good chunk of games will not run too well in 4k. Nier Automata has terrible frame pacing in 4k and I had to drop it down to 1440, Mass Effect Andromeda is the same way in 4k (and the fps is kinda bad also), I have Watch Dogs 2 set up for the "not really 4k but can fake it", and even then the fps hovers around the mid 40's. Overwatch and Street Fighter V run great in 4k, but those aren't really demanding games.

It might be my setup, which is a 4790k running at 4.4ghz and a 16gb of DDR3 ram, but I kinda doubt it. Anyone else have not feeling that this card is not living up to the hype?

Sounds like your card is running exactly like described in just about every review out there. Many games run great in 4k; several don't quite reach 60fps on Ultra. A few minutes of research makes this perfectly clear.

120v

personally i just got the card to cover my bases at 1440p and with VR. in that regard it's a behemoth

4k60 is just chasing the dragon at this point imo

Zaru

We're just not yet at the point where a 4k-capable card can run all games on max at that desired performance, let alone when the game was in the hands of people who had no time and/or skill to optimize.

When a card can run Witcher 3 in 4k60 at almost max but not a game like Nier Automata with PS360 era level geometry, then that it's obviously on the game, not the card, relatively speaking.

NEO0MJ

Is it worth upgrading from sli 980 gtx to a single 1080ti? I have an i7700k OCed to 5ghz and game at 1080p.

If you're still at 1080p I can't imagine you'd get much from this. Even with a high frequency monitor you'd probably hit above 165. Maybe if you get a new monitor or TV it'd make more sense to upgrade, and by then the smarter choice would be to wait for Volta.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
If you're still at 1080p I can't imagine you'd get much from this. Even with a high frequency monitor you'd probably hit above 165. Maybe if you get a new monitor or TV it'd make more sense to upgrade, and by then the smarter choice would be to wait for Volta.

That's what I thought, thanks.

Renekton

What are you playing that's bottlenecking an i5-4690? Are you OC'd? Is it Battlefield 1?

I'm super happy I have a 5820K. The sweet spot that thing occupies continues to be amazing even today. You can't really do much better today with any of Intel or AMD's current offerings.
Yeah the 5820K is a really smart buy in retrospect.

Is it worth upgrading from sli 980 gtx to a single 1080ti? I have an i7700k OCed to 5ghz and game at 1080p.

Depends on how much you value image quality. A 980 is fine for 1080P, but with a 1080 Ti you can downsample at 4K or crank up resolution scaling if the game supports it.

EDIT: didn't see you said SLI, then only if you really hate SLI and can't wait.

Got my 4K Optimized Superposition score to about 9850 and sort of lost interest. That's enough for me, I think. Happy to have a good card and no issues for a $20 Step Up from my 1080 originally bought last summer.

ApharmdX

Banned

Watch Dogs 2, along with Ghost Recon Wildlands (same engine?), are probably the two most demanding games out right now? No, you can't run them on Ultra @4K on the 1080 Ti. I run Wildlands at 1080p/120Hz and it's not even near a steady 120 @1080p. As others have said, Nier is a bad port. I run Dark Souls 3 at 1080p and I put it into that same category as well. On the 1080 Ti it's having some frame pacing issues. Otherwise I think I've run everything at 4K on mine.

Sadly we aren't quite to the point of "buy and forget"- where any single GPU can just do 4K60 at Ultra settings in all games without compromises. Maybe on the next major NVIDIA/AMD generation?

But what if you plan to play 1080p@120FPS+? I have a 144Hz monitor, I imagine that not every game can run at 120FPS+ with maxed settings even with a 1080ti, no?

Ghost Recon Wildlands can't. I think I'm getting around 85 fps in the in-game bench at 1080p and Ultra?

Bastos

Watch Dogs 2, along with Ghost Recon Wildlands (same engine?), are probably the two most demanding games out right now? No, you can't run them on Ultra @4K on the 1080 Ti. I run Wildlands at 1080p/120Hz and it's not even near a steady 120 @1080p. As others have said, Nier is a bad port. I run Dark Souls 3 at 1080p and I put it into that same category as well. On the 1080 Ti it's having some frame pacing issues. Otherwise I think I've run everything at 4K on mine.

Sadly we aren't quite to the point of "buy and forget"- where any single GPU can just do 4K60 at Ultra settings in all games without compromises. Maybe on the next major NVIDIA/AMD generation?

Ghost Recon Wildlands can't. I think I'm getting around 85 fps in the in-game bench at 1080p and Ultra?
Wow, I had no idea. Is it justified, though? I've seen some screens and videos, but never played it to see if the graphics are this good.

At the moment the game that I want to play the most is Witcher 3, hope it gets high framerates with my new setup.

dr_rus

We must be strong brother, we must wait for Cannonlake! We must persevere!
Kaby Lake X is half-assed, I really don’t wanna get it, and I want to get Ryzen even less. Ugh,

I think that CFL will be pretty good for a typical gamer usage case. CNL - well, this one is quite some time out for desktops, and it's probably even further out for anything with more than 4 cores.

Deathknell

But what if you plan to play 1080p@120FPS+? I have a 144Hz monitor, I imagine that not every game can run at 120FPS+ with maxed settings even with a 1080ti, no?

The point is, if you spend 1200$ for cpu and gpu (7700k and 1080ti) at least buy a 1440p 144hz monitor.

You can have 100+ fps with a 1070 in any game, just don't max out stupid settings like shadows, reflections and msaa or ssaa.

ApharmdX

Banned
Wow, I had no idea. Is it justified, though? I've seen some screens and videos, but never played it to see if the graphics are this good.

At the moment the game that I want to play the most is Witcher 3, hope it gets high framerates with my new setup.

I don't think screens do Wildlands justice. It looks fantastic! It's open world and there's a lot going on, great lighting model, rendering of materials and effects, etc. But yes, it's extremely intensive. My wife's 1070, using the in-game bench, was shy of 60 fps average on Ultra.

Ubisoft has some of the best-looking games out right now- Wildlands and last year's The Division. Oddly those two and Watch Dogs 2 are on three different engines, according to my google search, at least.

TW3 can run on a 1080 Ti at 4K60 maxed without issue so you are set there.

120v

i think wildlands is taxing based on scale. haven't played it a ton but i never really considered it jawdropping or anything

True, but as the framerates get higher, it becomes increasingly likely that you'll be bottlenecked by your CPU. Which is a problem, as while you have plenty of granularity when it comes to enabling and disabling stuff that stresses the GPU, there doesn't tend to be much you can do to reduce the CPU load.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I think that CFL will be pretty good for a typical gamer usage case. CNL - well, this one is quite some time out for desktops, and it's probably even further out for anything with more than 4 cores.
I’m always confused about Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake, isn’t Coffee supposed to be the mobile/laptop version of Cannon?
Or is Coffee the next thing, and Cannon the one after Coffee?

I ordered the MSI TwinFrozr 1080 Ti, now to clean my dusty ass PC and do a clean install of Windows. And what the fuck am I to do with the 680 lols, can I get like $150 CAD for it at least?

Ah okay. I can keep mine in the mid 60s using a 60% at 60c fan curve but the fans are a little too audible for my liking using it.

I'm also using the NZXT H440 which has a lot of sound-dampening padding on the inside. It's made for decent airflow while staying silent as can be. That doesn't mean all the credit goes to the case though. The EVGA FTW3 was suuuuuper loud in my machine.

Fredrik

The point is, if you spend 1200$ for cpu and gpu (7700k and 1080ti) at least buy a 1440p 144hz monitor.

You can have 100+ fps with a 1070 in any game, just don't max out stupid settings like shadows, reflections and msaa or ssaa.
I think you might be in the wrong thread if you want to talk about scaling back "stupid settings" ;) The whole reason to upgrade to a high end card is to not have to scale anything back, stupid or not. I'm running my 1080ti Lightning Z on three 1080p monitors, I could get high framerates with my 980ti too but I had to scale stuff back. FH3 now runs with every "stupid setting" maxed out at 70-120fps depending on what's going on. Feels nice, even if it IS stupid ;)

Thinking about buying a Ryzen 1700 with a Gigabyte X370 gaming K3 as well as 16gb of b0 samsung 3600mt/s DDR4 ram. I'm planning to overclock it to 4ghz and operate the ram at the specified speed.

This is to replace my current 3770k build running at 4.7ghz with 16gb of DDR3 running at 2133mt/s.

Do you think I'll see a significant difference?

I want to run every game at 4k ultra, priorizing IQ over FPS. Of course, I entend to be intelligent about it; AA, ultra HBAO and shadows will be dialed back when necessary.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487336

Hopefully this link works. Doing this on mobile lol

Great card from what I've read, though at that price I'd also check into a Hybrid model. Typically they're like 80+ bucks more but you may be able to find a deal somewhere. Either way you'll have a beast.

Thinking about buying a Ryzen 1700 with a Gigabyte X370 gaming K3 as well as 16gb of b0 samsung 3600mt/s DDR4 ram. I'm planning to overclock it to 4ghz and operate the ram at the specified speed.

This is to replace my current 3770k build running at 4.7ghz with 16gb of DDR3 running at 2133mt/s.

Do you think I'll see a significant difference?

I want to run every game at 4k ultra, priorizing IQ over FPS. Of course, I entend to be intelligent about it; AA, ultra HBAO and shadows will be dialed back when necessary.

Significant? Probably not, assuming you currently have a 1080Ti and are continuing to use it. CPU usage actually goes down with resolution increase, so where you might see most benefit is jacking everything up to max at lower res.

ZOONAMI

I don't think screens do Wildlands justice. It looks fantastic! It's open world and there's a lot going on, great lighting model, rendering of materials and effects, etc. But yes, it's extremely intensive. My wife's 1070, using the in-game bench, was shy of 60 fps average on Ultra.

Ubisoft has some of the best-looking games out right now- Wildlands and last year's The Division. Oddly those two and Watch Dogs 2 are on three different engines, according to my google search, at least.

TW3 can run on a 1080 Ti at 4K60 maxed without issue so you are set there.

Not really. More like 4k50 with hair works. 4k60 without. And if you're somewhere with a lot of grass/foliage it's not gonna stick at 60.

dr_rus

I’m always confused about Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake, isn’t Coffee supposed to be the mobile/laptop version of Cannon?
Or is Coffee the next thing, and Cannon the one after Coffee?

I ordered the MSI TwinFrozr 1080 Ti, now to clean my dusty ass PC and do a clean install of Windows. And what the fuck am I to do with the 680 lols, can I get like $150 CAD for it at least?

CFL is mainstream platform (socket 1151) hexacore being built on the same 14nm as KBL/SKX.

CNL is a 10nm shrink of KBL and it will come to notebook markets first, in the form of 2C and 4C dies with iGPU. They will probably make an 1151 6C on it too but no one knows when this will happen - likely no sooner than a year from now.

I'm also using the NZXT H440 which has a lot of sound-dampening padding on the inside. It's made for decent airflow while staying silent as can be. That doesn't mean all the credit goes to the case though. The EVGA FTW3 was suuuuuper loud in my machine.

Yeah my FTW3 was very, very loud. I'm using a Enthoo Evolv TG myself.

MrBS

Not sure which games you're playing but as someone who just went from a 2600k (with 1080Ti) to a 7700k I can tell you there are some titles which the 2600k will bottleneck.
I cam across a couple where GPU wasn't hitting 90 but droping frames. Picked up my new board at lunch so I'll be rocking 7700K myself later :)

I'm wishing I had snagged one of those 1080ti's during the $600-630 range deals. I was waiting to see what AMD offers with Vega, but it's looking like not a lot. (I wasn't expecting 1080ti performance, but hopefully somewhere nicely between 1080/1080ti for a reasonable price so I could use my Freesync.)

Cyriades

I will be getting ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme III aftermarket cooler next month for my 1080ti. Will it fit this Gigabyte card with no issue?
2017060919590082_big.png

Fredrik

Sometimes you have to do this:

This assumes you've already checked the box for unlock voltage in AB.
Thanks! It worked! :D

But omg this is way too scary for me... I got it up to 2076MHz and like close to 2000 points higher in 3DMarks Firestrike than stock clocking but started seeing green flashing squares by the end of the test :S So I think I'm graying out the voltage controls again lol

I shoved a 1080ti gaming x with my 3570k and Im sure there are still some titles that are potentially hampered slightly by my CPU, but as Im on a 4k gsync monitor and have no issues getting games running at frame rates that are within very playable range or even very close to 60fps, I am still refusing to get rid of my 3570k, as my monitor restricted to 60fps anyway.

CFL is mainstream platform (socket 1151) hexacore being built on the same 14nm as KBL/SKX.

CNL is a 10nm shrink of KBL and it will come to notebook markets first, in the form of 2C and 4C dies with iGPU. They will probably make an 1151 6C on it too but no one knows when this will happen - likely no sooner than a year from now.

is CFL going to be same arch as skylake again?

Top Bottom