• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

is backplate strictly just for looks? or does it somehow help mechanically
It protects the components on the back of the PCB and helps cool the VRAM a bit. It's really useful for smaller builds where you can't get a lot of clearance between the GPU and a third party CPU cooler.

I'm really impressed with the G1 970 so far. Absolutely no coil whine and it's much more quiet than my EVGA 760 with the ACX cooler. Even on Just Cause 2's menu screens where FPS was uncapped and framerates were in the 400s, no coil whine at all.

Can finally play my modded Skyrim with ENB a constant 60+ FPS :) JC2 also ran at a constant 85+ FPS which felt amazing to play.

wildfire

Banned
Next year I'm definitely going to get a 960 when it comes out.

Normally I don't preorder games but I notice now and then that there are supply issues for gpus. Is it prudent to preorder a mid range chip like the 960?

If you believe so what are the best brands? I'm not looking to overclock it but it is useful to buy a GPU where a company provides great tweaking tools to deal with unforseen software performance issues. To my understanding MSI is one of the best. I think Asus is right up there but I'm not sure.

Is the refresh rate set to 59 or 60hz? Does it also happen when you extend the displays? Cloning can cause all kinds of issues (tearing, stuttering, and so on) because it's using only one set of refresh rates, timings, etc., that might not be entirely compatible with one of the displays or both. In addition, cloning displays will lead to crashes in games when DSR is enabled in the control panel. You might find that's a pretty compelling reason to avoid it altogether if you planned on downsampling your games with your new 970.

I agree cloning is convenient, but in my opinion it currently just isn't worth it. It would be nice to have an option that's native to Windows that allows cloning the desktop on extended displays. Third party apps already do it, so it's definitely possible. In any case, good luck! :)

Try not using Cloning and see if that helps

Thanks, I will do some experimenting when I get a chance, but cloning was fine with the 580 but I guess it's just one of those things. If it works fine in extended mode for video and making the plasma the primary when gaming then i will have to put up with the inconvenience.

Next year I'm definitely going to get a 960 when it comes out.

Normally I don't preorder games but I notice now and then that there are supply issues for gpus. Is it prudent to preorder a mid range chip like the 960?

If you believe so what are the best brands? I'm not looking to overclock it but it is useful to buy a GPU where a company provides great tweaking tools to deal with unforseen software performance issues. To my understanding MSI is one of the best. I think Asus is right up there but I'm not sure.

Just wait for them to come out. Shouldn't be too much longer... some rumours say they'll be unveiled next month.

Jtrizzy

so should I be overclocking my strix for sure? I know how to do cpu's, but not so much with gpu's.

I have the Asus Strix 970, which comes with a program called gpu tweak to make the changes. For some reason it crashes and or when I minimize it to the hidden icons trey, I can't get it to re open.

any advice?

Yess... got my work to agree to buy home PC for me, as long as it was a Dell, I could order whatever I wanted. So i got the new Alienware Area 51 desktop with a top-of-the-line haswell processor, 16 gigs of RAM... and a GTX 980!

So, given i'm upgrading from a 650Ti, what should be my first go-to game to check out the graphical upgrade? Witcher 2 with crazy supersampling? The re-release of Metro: Last Light? What's the current "yeah, this is the game you want to use to put a new card through it's paces" game?

so should I be overclocking my strix for sure? I know how to do cpu's, but not so much with gpu's.

I have the Asus Strix 970, which comes with a program called gpu tweak to make the changes. For some reason it crashes and or when I minimize it to the hidden icons trey, I can't get it to re open.

any advice?

You can use msi afterburner instead. I could never get gpu tweak to work.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Yess... got my work to agree to buy home PC for me, as long as it was a Dell, I could order whatever I wanted. So i got the new Alienware Area 51 desktop with a top-of-the-line haswell processor, 16 gigs of RAM... and a GTX 980!

So, given i'm upgrading from a 650Ti, what should be my first go-to game to check out the graphical upgrade? Witcher 2 with crazy supersampling? The re-release of Metro: Last Light? What's the current "yeah, this is the game you want to use to put a new card through it's paces" game?

Definitely Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light.

Jtrizzy

You can use msi afterburner instead. I could never get gpu tweak to work.

OK so I'm going off an overclock from this site: http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/asus-gtx970-strix-oc-review/21/

Am I running a different version of afterburner or something? Just don't want to mess up my new gpu. Mine is the blue one on the right, with different things to choose.

e9fe88c5-809e-4726-b214-5523e2f3f0d2.jpg

Do I need to be changing power limit?

Jtrizzy

Yeah I had to change the skin to get that to show up. Dragon Age crashed on me though, which it hasn't done so far. Should I dial back my overclock a little?

X51 user here, exactly which version of 970 should I buy? I went to amazon and searched for the card and there were 7 different cards.
You might be better off buying one from Best Buy, since they have ones with the reference cooler that should be better suited for that case. They're going to be $380 though, unless you get them to price match a cheaper reference style cooler 970.

You might be better off buying one from Best Buy, since they have ones with the reference cooler that should be better suited for that case. They're going to be $380 though, unless you get them to price match a cheaper reference style cooler 970.
Are you talking about this one?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-...lack/9855169.p?id=1219441201895&skuId=9855169

They also carry multiple versions of same card.

Or does Dell sell a better GTX970 that is more suitable for X51?

jordn613

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I had to change the skin to get that to show up. Dragon Age crashed on me though, which it hasn't done so far. Should I dial back my overclock a little?

Dragon Age is probably not a great indicator cause I've had that crash on me and throw graphics/direct x errors at stock and at overclock several times. Just bugs.

Kieli

From all the rumours, it seems the GTX 960 is... not going to be all that enticing.

128 bit memory bus width, 2 GB ram (some sources speculate 3), $250 - 300 price point.

Performance comparable to GTX 770. Which I can already get right now for around $230...

Let's see if the rumours bear out. Because I'm disappointed.

belmonkey

From all the rumours, it seems the GTX 960 is... not going to be all that enticing.

128 bit memory bus width, 2 GB ram (some sources speculate 3), $250 - 300 price point.

Performance comparable to GTX 770. Which I can already get right now for around $230...

Let's see if the rumours bear out. Because I'm disappointed.

If it really does have those specs, I think it would be crazy for it to be over $230. There's too many rumors at the moment to know what to expect though, aside from performance to at least match the 770.

UnrealEck

Has anyone went from a GTX 770 (or even a 680) to a 980? If so, what did you think of the performance increase particularly in newer games?

TheContact

I'm really impressed with the G1 970 so far. Absolutely no coil whine and it's much more quiet than my EVGA 760 with the ACX cooler. Even on Just Cause 2's menu screens where FPS was uncapped and framerates were in the 400s, no coil whine at all.

Can finally play my modded Skyrim with ENB a constant 60+ FPS :) JC2 also ran at a constant 85+ FPS which felt amazing to play.

Weird my 760 is nearly whisper quiet. Think something might be wrong because of how quiet it is. Fan speed is running normal and temps are good tho

Has anyone went from a GTX 770 (or even a 680) to a 980? If so, what did you think of the performance increase particularly in newer games?

I went from a EVGA 770 SC 2GB to a 970. It's currently out for the step-up to a 980...so my 770 is back in, until it arrives. I'll report back on how Dragon Age changes...any other games you'd like me to try?

Weird my 760 is nearly whisper quiet. Think something might be wrong because of how quiet it is. Fan speed is running normal and temps are good tho

Yeah, I don't even mean to say my 760 was loud or anything. It was really quiet, which is why I'm surprised my new card is even more quiet.

MizzouRah

I went from a EVGA 770 SC 2GB to a 970. It's currently out for the step-up to a 980...so my 770 is back in, until it arrives. I'll report back on how Dragon Age changes...any other games you'd like me to try?

Why did you decide to go up? I've a 770 and am thinking about the 970.

Why did you decide to go up? I've a 770 and am thinking about the 970.

Honestly? Xmas present to myself. I know the price/performance ratio isn't as good, but I'm already hooked on using DSR to make 1080p look great, and I can't run SLI on my current MB/PSU.

The 970 was a pretty decent jump from the 770, in my experience. Dragon Age (for an example) ran smoother with minor DSR and higher graphics settings than the 770 does at regular 1080p.

Dries

Yeah, DSR is really great. This will be my main AA solution for the forseeable future. Rather play at 3200 x 1800 with 2x MSAA than 1920 x 1080 with 8x MSAA, for instance.

Also helps that I'll be upgrading from a 770 to a 980 pretty quick :)

It protects the components on the back of the PCB and helps cool the VRAM a bit. It's really useful for smaller builds where you can't get a lot of clearance between the GPU and a third party CPU cooler.

Does it make much of a difference to stability if memory has been overclocked too or is memory overclocking and stability unrelated to heat?

Thrakier

So this is my card. Runs stable at max boost but crashes if the boost varies. :(

5dx.png

THere is that BIOS fix but I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the numbers to be honest. ;) Don't wanna break the card with a sucky BIOS I made myself.

paskowitz

I had a MSI GTX 770 TF, and upgraded to a MSI 980 TF. This was my first GPU upgrade. To me the difference was huge. My first goal was 1080p, @60fps, with some AA and stable (never dipping more than 10fps). In order to do that across the board the 770 had to have many games (SOM, WD, pCARS, Crysis 3, TW2, etc) set to a mix of medium to high settings. The 980 takes just about everything to ultra (as long as the AA is kept in check).

Now that I have an Oculus Rift DK2, I definitely appreciate the extra horsepower. I know the 770 would struggle (given the 980 even struggles in certain situations).

It also uses a lot less power, overclocks better and makes far less noise.

If you have $600+ get the 980 (Gigabyte Windforce or EVGA Classified). If money is a factor, the 970 is a terrific option and should perform well. I think given the relatively small cost difference from a 770 to 970 an upgrade makes sense.

Does it make much of a difference to stability if memory has been overclocked too or is memory overclocking and stability unrelated to heat?
I'm not sure, but there's probably some benefit to overclocking the memory along with the card itself, since almost every site I've seen reviewing 970s/980s overclocks memory along with the card itself.

As for heat affecting stability of memory overclocks, I'm not really sure if that's how it works, but I do know that thermal images of 970s tend to show the VRAM glowing because it's really hot, so anything that can help cool the VRAM is good in my book.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just putting this out there.

MSI GTX 970. DiRT 2. Downsampling from 1440p with MSAA. Ultra settings. Racing wheel.

ROCK solid 120fps.

This is incredible.

Chittagong

Gold Member
How far away are we from 10-12 TF card at the size/heat budget of the 7870? I have decided to go back to PC when I can see a generational leap, 4-5x. I'm starting to get the PC itch. The amount of joy I got from Steam sales, goddam.

*) I know TF is a poor metric but it's the only one a console peasant like me knows

Durante

Well, a 980 is roughly that size/heat, and it's ~ 5 TF. So you're looking at at least doubling that, which, given the current relatively slow pace of advancement, will probably take roughly 2.5 years.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Well, a 980 is roughly that size/heat, and it's ~ 5 TF. So you're looking at at least doubling that, which, given the current relatively slow pace of advancement, will probably take roughly 2.5 years.

Cool. I think PS4 will have an awesome 2.5 years ahead of it, so mid 2017 would be the perfect point to go back to PC. That would be exactly 5 years from my PS3 -> 7870 transition.

Thrakier

Cool. I think PS4 will have an awesome 2.5 years ahead of it, so mid 2017 would be the perfect point to go back to PC. That would be exactly 5 years from my PS3 -> 7870 transition.

The perfect point is now since you will enjoy most of these PS4 games in a much better conidition, first and foremost when it comes to framerate.

Wow I am a dumbass. It seems that my CS:GO input lag issues were related to my mouse loosing connection, not frame hitching. Frame hitching is still there but at least I can aim now.

It absolutely is, $300 for this amount of power is probably the best video card value in a decade, you can get within a few % of a stock 980 for over $200 less. It's so good that Nvidia is like WTF do we do now about the 960 lol.

Secretly hoping 960 comes with 3GB. Not that I'm personally buying it but a 770 equivalent chip with 3GB vram for a solid price could be a real good deal. If it's 770 equivalent, with 2gb, for more than a 770, then it will be worthless.

Kezen

Banned
Secretly hoping 960 comes with 3GB. Not that I'm personally buying it but a 770 equivalent chip with 3GB vram for a solid price could be a real good deal. If it's 770 equivalent, with 2gb, for more than a 770, then it will be worthless.

With the 970 around a 960 will be worthless anyway. Unless they sell the thing for less than 200$.

Waikis

For those considering to go SLI this Christmas, here's a list of things that currently don't work with an SLI setup:
- MFAA
- DSR when using a GSYNC monitor.

:(

Exactly the model I was looking at (if this is the single-GPU model). Any impressions so far?

Just built my first PC yesterday using an MSI 970. So far I haven't heard any coil whine so that's good. I've only played FC4 and BF3 so far but they both run at a constant 60fps at 1080p on ultra!

If anyone wants to see if your card has coil whine: install The Witcher 2 if you have it, turn off V-Sync, and stay on the main menu. That produces the most audible coil while for me.

Top Bottom