• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia past generation GPUs aging terribly

dorkkaos

Man, I got my 780Ti for 1440p gaming, but it's starting to look like I might have to get the 980Ti in the next few months lol

knitoe

The comparisons doesn't make sense yet. The 780ti are Nividia's old GPUs while a 290X is still AMD's newest and best. Once AMD's 390X comes out, let's see if AMD still optimize and improve performance for their old GPUs.

It's been the standard practice for a long time. Once new gen GPUs come out, Nvidia and AMD will stop optimizing for the previous gen. This time AMD hasn't had any new cards so they keep optimizing what they have, while Nvidia optimizes only for the new gen. It looks bad, but it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Bod

Neo Member
AMD releases Project Cars drivers 1 month after launch of the game, which improves performance.

"Nvidia GPUs aged really bad during the last month compared to AMD"

That's basically what I see, am I missing something here?

This is the reason

mkenyon

Banned
AMD releases Project Cars drivers 1 month after launch of the game, which improves performance.

"Nvidia GPUs aged really bad during the last month compared to AMD"

That's basically what I see, am I missing something here?
Yes. AMD's cards on GCN are continuing to see improvements because when AMD does any driver optimization, it helps their ENTIRE line of GCN cards. NVIDIA has to do separate work for Kepler and Maxwell, so Kepler isn't getting as much love.

The most unbiased way to look at this, IMO, is that AMD is just in a unique situation to easily keep improving older cards (280x is the same card as a 7970). I don't think it is a case of NVIDIA taking a deliberately deceitful route to force upgrades.

mkenyon

Banned
The comparisons doesn't make sense yet. The 780ti are Nividia's old GPUs while a 290X is still AMD's newest and best. Once AMD's 390X comes out, let's see if AMD still optimize and improve performance for their old GPUs.
The comparisons are with a 290 and 280X. GCN is GCN is GCN. The 280X is the same card as a 7970.

Serick

Married Member

It's been the standard practice for a long time. Once new gen GPUs come out, Nvidia and AMD will stop optimizing for the previous gen. This time AMD hasn't had any new cards so they keep optimizing what they have, while Nvidia optimizes only for the new gen. It looks bad, but it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Yes. AMD's cards on GCN are continuing to see improvements because when AMD does any driver optimization, it helps their ENTIRE line of GCN cards. NVIDIA has to do separate work for Kepler and Maxwell, so Kepler isn't getting as much love.

The most unbiased way to look at this, IMO, is that AMD is just in a unique situation to easily keep improving older cards (280x is the same card as a 7970). I don't think it is a case of NVIDIA taking a deliberately deceitful route to force upgrades.

+1 to all of this.

Once AMD's architecture changes you'll see the same thing on the AMD side, and it will likely be even more drastic.

wachie

Yeah, thats definitely not what I was suggesting.

So come 2016, we have Pascal and Fiji with HBM2. Will Maxwell suffer the same because AMD looks to continue (largely) the GCN architecture while Pascal will be again a new architecture. I would say the architectural difference between Pascal and Maxwell would be greater than Maxwell and Kepler.

mkenyon

Banned
+1 to all of this.

Once AMD's architecture changes you'll see the same thing on the AMD side, and it will likely be even more drastic.
Well, we are a long way off from this. AMD is just focusing on iterations of GCN. Even if they completely change architecture, you're still looking at a 6+ year shelf life for older products that continually receive performance updates, which is pretty great.

Serick

Married Member
Well, we are a long way off from this. AMD is just focusing on iterations of GCN. Even if they completely change architecture, you're still looking at a 6+ year shelf life for older products that continually receive performance updates, which is pretty great.

Yeah, I know. That's why I mentioned earlier I may switch teams if my 980ti suffers the same fate.

I just put a Radeon r9 280x in my brothers build because of this. The card is a monster for $199.99.

Yeah, I know. That's why I mentioned earlier I may switch teams if my 980ti suffers the same fate.

Depends on what will the next architecture look like. And don't forget, AMD will go through similar changes with HBM and the next batch of cards, so I would not look for stability there.

I switched teams and got a regular 290 a while back. I kind of regret it, it brought a lot of very specific troubles that I did not encounter previously on the green team. I would stay where you are personally.

napata

It's seems especially true for Gameworks games. If you disable the extra effects Kepler handles Gameworks worse than AMD cards.

mkenyon

Banned
I picked up a 290 awhile back to pit it in my secondary gaming rig for $270 right after the litecoin mining crash. My main system has a 780Ti Classified Kingpin that I spent nearly $1100 on including water block. The purchases were only separated by a few months.

The idea that the 290 could eventually be the better card of the two seems insane.

Serick

Married Member
Depends on what will the next architecture look like. And don't forget, AMD will go through similar changes with HBM and the next batch of cards, so I would not look for stability there.

I switched teams and got a regular 290 a while back. I kind of regret it, it brought a lot of very specific troubles that I did not encounter previously on the green team. I would stay where you are personally.

Very good points. I'm sure I'll be on my 980ti for at least 2 years (god I hope so) so I'll have plenty of time to see how the dust settles with HBM.

kitch9

Banned
I'm a bit confused here are we saying that Radeon GPU's get more powerful over time? Or even weirder are we saying that Nvidia GPU's get weaker over time?

Nvidia nerfing drivers over time because process shrinks aren't pushing things forward anymore.

Whereas the competition needs software enhancement to push the brand forward.

plasmasd

Looks to me like Nvidia releases cards with more mature drivers. It takes Ati longer to get most out of their cards. Now if this continues the along the same track a year from now, then I would say that nvidia has stopped optimizing their drivers.

Serick

Married Member
Nvidia nerfing drivers over time because process shrinks aren't pushing things forward anymore.

Whereas the competition needs software enhancement to push the brand forward.

This is absolutely false.

Yeah, people aren't getting worse performance than they already had, they just arent seeing the performance gains AMD cards are seeing (again, AMD takes forever to release said optimized drivers).

wachie

Fiji's architecture looks largely based on the GCN, so what you are hoping for (radical change and poor aging over time) doesnt seem likely. Time will tell.

Are you the AMD equivalent of Unknown Soldier? Or is this sarcasm?

I imagine driver changes boost performance on newer cards at the expense of older cards, if I had to guess. Nvidia already optimise per game (which I image degrades performance for other/older games).

mkenyon

Banned
I imagine driver changes boost performance on newer cards at the expense of older cards, if I had to guess. Nvidia already optimise per game (which I image degrades performance for other/older games).
You should probably read the links a bit more.

Serick

Married Member
I'm also a swivel eyed pickle monster in drag.

Believe what you want.

I suspect maxwell will be turned into a turd when Pascal releases too.

Where is the evidence showing Kepler performance was killed on purpose? Because it can't run the Witcher 3 as well as AMD?

That's tin foil hat stuff guys, show me benchmarks of games that aren't brand new where Kepler did well previously and is shit now. (Hint, they don't exist).

PreFire

Imagine how I feel with a 8800GTS.

Then again, I haven't turned my computer on in years.

I think I'd need a new mobo before upgrading my GPU.. Probably would have to build from scratch actually. My CPU is Q6600 lol

Skyzard

Banned
Where is the evidence showing Kepler performance was killed on purpose? Because it can't run the Witcher 3 as well as AMD?

That's tin foil hat stuff guys, show me benchmarks of games that aren't brand new where Kepler did well previously and is shit now. (Hint, they don't exist).

Didn't Nvidia acknowledge gimped Kepler performance and promise a patch?

Don't think it did anything.

sniperpon

I've got a GTX 660-- runs gzDoom at a gazillion FPS, that's all I really use it for!

Seriously though, last modern game I bought was Dying Light, and even the much slower GNU/Linux port runs like a champ after a couple of game patches (1920x1080, ~30-60 fps depending on the area). Unless some new game comes out that I can't run-- which I don't foresee based on this year at least-- I don't see myself upgrading video cards anytime soon.

The Llama

That was never the claim being made. The claim is that since Maxwell came out, nVidia stopped optimizing their drivers for Kepler in games that have been released since the launch of Maxwell, not in older games.

Aroll

I'm a bit confused here are we saying that Radeon GPU's get more powerful over time? Or even weirder are we saying that Nvidia GPU's get weaker over time?

It's stating that NVidia's GPUs (some of the more popular ones it seems) are showing aging issues - aka, unable to hold up to the same performance even a year later that they had when first being used. They are "wearing out" as it were, where as Radeon's cards are not showing such decay in the same time frame.

Fiji's architecture looks largely based on the GCN, so what you are hoping for (radical change and poor aging over time) doesnt seem likely. Time will tell.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean it like this at all. I own a 290 and will for sure for some time, I sure as hell don't hope it will age poorly! That was just a speculation about a possible future outcome.

Nikodemos

+1 to all of this.

AMD have already flat out stated that the 5000 and 6000 series are entirely incompatible with DX12 (they don't support any of the four feature sets). On the other hand, all cards dating back to the 7750 will continue benefitting from new drivers in equal amounts (since they all have the same basic core, just with extra features in the newer iterations). That's almost three generations of cards (since the R300 series is nearly here).

Rafterman

Banned
NVIDIA probably wants to make upgrading as appealing as possible.

Pretty scummy approach, and I hope AMD doesn't go down this path :/

+1

Exactly what I was thinking.

Or maybe Nvidia gets it right earlier than AMD? All this proves is that Nvidia drivers mature much earlier than AMDs. All the other conspiracy nonsense is just that.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have good drivers now rather than wait until my card company of choice catches up.

My Titan is holding up pretty well, after all.

Lately I have been playing AC unity and I must say that I'm impressed by the performance I get: everything maxed at 1440p (2xmsaa)I get frames from 30 to 45.

Cutscenes sometimes tank a bit in the 15-20 region but gameplay is perfectly fine thanks to gsync.

Still, I already ordered a 980ti xD

hesido

Post-release performance increases via driver updates. Seems like AMD upgrades their performance more than Nvidia.

Oh well then. Like others mentioned, that may also be because of starting better earlier for NVidia, leaving less headroom for improvement, and the opposite for AMD.

Serick

Married Member
Didn't Nvidia acknowledge gimped Kepler performance and promise a patch?

Don't think it did anything.

I haven't seen the kepler update for Witcher, are you sure it's even been released?

That was never the claim being made. The claim is that since Maxwell came out, nVidia stopped optimizing their drivers for Kepler in games that have been released since the launch of Maxwell, not in older games.

I'm pretty sure saying Nvidia "turned kepler cards into poop" infers performance was degraded on purpose. Oh, and there were a few "Nvidia pulled an Apple with kepler" claims in here already too.

AMD have already flat out stated that the 5000 and 6000 series are entirely incompatible with DX12 (they don't support any of the four feature sets). On the other hand, all cards dating back to the 7750 will continue benefitting from new drivers in equal amounts (since they all have the same basic core, just with extra features in the newer iterations). That's almost three generations of cards (since the R300 series is nearly here).

Right, because they're all based on GCN and Kepler and Maxwell are not the same architecture. We've been saying this for a few posts now.

The Llama

Or maybe Nvidia gets it right earlier than AMD? All this proves is that Nvidia drivers mature much earlier than AMDs. All the other conspiracy nonsense is just that.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have good drivers now rather than wait until my card company of choice catches up.

Oh well then. Like others mentioned, that may also be because of starting better earlier for NVidia, leaving less headroom for improvement, and the opposite for AMD.

I think you're both misunderstanding the problem. I'll try to explain it. The claim is this: Let's say, on equivalent settings, GPU X (Kepler) from nVidia and GPU Y (GCN) from AMD average 60 FPS in games 1-5. Then nVidia releases GPU Z (Maxwell). In games 1-5, GPU Z average 70 FPS. Then games 6-10 launch. On average (assuming all are running the same settings), GPU X averages 50 FPS, GPU Y averages 60 FPS, and GPU Z averages 70 GPS. Owners of GPU X are now complaining "Hey, I used to average the same FPS as owners of GPU Y, but now that GPU Z launches, we get less."

Ok, that was probably not very clear XD, but I tried...

QaaQer

would it be better if it wasn't deceitful? forcing upgrades is how most tech companies keep sales up. i'd be surprised if amd didn't engage in this as well, but of course not to the absurd levels of Nvidia. Jenson Huang does love holding cards above his head shouting "40 million sold! 40 million sold!" infront of scientologists nvidia faithful.

Serick

Married Member
I think you're both misunderstanding the problem. I'll try to explain it. The claim is this: Let's say, on equivalent settings, GPU X (Kepler) from nVidia and GPU Y (GCN) from AMD average 60 FPS in games 1-5. Then nVidia releases GPU Z (Maxwell). In games 1-5, GPU Z average 70 FPS. Then games 6-10 launch. On average (assuming all are running the same settings), GPU X averages 50 FPS, GPU Y averages 60 FPS, and GPU Z averages 70 GPS. Owners of GPU X are now complaining "Hey, I used to average the same FPS as owners of GPU Y, but now that GPU Z launches, we get less."

Ok, that was probably not very clear XD, but I tried...

No, I'm pretty sure we all have that understanding.

They're saying that ^ happens because AMD is still rocking GCN for 3 generations and take longer to optimize while Nvidia is on a different architecture and has been focusing on the newer GPU arch.

Top Bottom