• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

WakeTheWolf

I started gaming in 1985 when the only real option was a pc. My first computer didn’t have a mouse or a hard drive or a colour monitor or speakers - it was an IBM 8088 with two floppy drives and a monochrome display. The world wide web did not exist - my pc didn’t have a modem. I didn’t even know what a modem was. If you had a problem you had to fix it yourself. We actually used to read books for this. The operating system was DOS and you actually had to type in commands - there was no GUI.

I’m now gaming on an LG C9 with an RTX 2080 TI. I have a 9900k CPU and I’m using a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard and I have an elite controller and my sound setup is the amazing Sonos Arc. I’m on the net, of course, and I’m streaming music and movies.

Being a PC gamer, for me, is all about the evolving tech (and gaming itself, of course - games are just getting better and better as the years pass). Tech-wise, there’s always something new and exciting just around the corner that I can’t wait to try out. I will never buy a console because the tech is static, and just not exciting.

What you’re talking about is just completely baffling to me? You don’t want to play on a PC because the community is elitist and unfriendly??

I’m sorry, but I have to ask this... do you also hang out at ResetEra?

Actually find ResetEra to have that same unfriendly elitism. It mostly relates to my experience with Nvidia and Overclockers. This pre-order has been a disaster and instead you are met with shills who will defend Nvidia and (in my experience) Overclockers like crazy. Genuine concern for my refund status is met on Overclockers forum with 'You're an entitled baby'. Then again to see how PC gamers act just look at the way evanft replied. Hell PC Master Race subreddit is just as bad and unfriendly. And you tell me that the PC community isn't toxic?

Granted I'm a newbie when it came to PC but I was pretty frustrated with Overclockers taking my £709. The order was originally £649 but they inflated the price during checkout. They even had an ETA of 23rd September delivery which they've now removed. You can't even call customer service and their website goes down constantly. So you have to rely on a forum rep who has gave vague answers.

Yeah people on here banter and they can call you out but its never been like interaction with other PC gamers. I'm not saying they are all like it but on the whole the PC experience for me as been quite bad to the point if I was to go ahead and build my PC I'd never want to be apart of that community.

Where as on here whilst you get banter atleast you can have discussion and the information can be quite helpful. Anyway, not to derail the thread because I was talking about my experience with this 3080 fiasco. Its not a simple case of missing out on a pre-order.

Last edited:

llien

Soo, how did that lovely '3080 is 2 times faster than 2080' promise go guys?
Or that lovely DF "early leak" claiming 60-90% faster?

No backlash, eh?

nemiroff

Gold Member

No backlash, eh?

My guess is that people are too focused on the actual net performance value of the 3080 to care about rhetorical questions stemming from fanboy schadenfreude.

The 3090 on the other hand.. Heads should roll if it turns out the story doesn't have sensible context.

Last edited:
So I decided to cancel my successful Asus ROG Strix 3080 OC preorder. I feel kinda dumb because I should have just be patient in the first place anyways. Seeing that Gigabyte has already confirmed 16/20GB models reassured my decision. I don't sweat it waiting till January/Feb for a new GPU or whenever all new GPUs will be widespread available. Also now I'm really curious to learn what AMD has in store.

Last edited:

Nydus

No backlash, eh?
Anybody who believes that shit is a fanboy. Normal pc folks knew what was behind the marketing speak. It was clear that if Nvidia was hyping the shit out of it, that atleast Ampere would be solid and no shitshow like the 2k series. I'm more disappointed in the raytracing performance.

Actually find ResetEra to have that same unfriendly elitism. It mostly relates to my experience with Nvidia and Overclockers. This pre-order has been a disaster and instead you are met with shills who will defend Nvidia and (in my experience) Overclockers like crazy. Genuine concern for my refund status is met on Overclockers forum with 'You're an entitled baby'. Then again to see how PC gamers act just look at the way evanft replied. Hell PC Master Race subreddit is just as bad and unfriendly. And you tell me that the PC community isn't toxic?

Granted I'm a newbie when it came to PC but I was pretty frustrated with Overclockers taking my £709. The order was originally £649 but they inflated the price during checkout. They even had an ETA of 23rd September delivery which they've now removed. You can't even call customer service and their website goes down constantly. So you have to rely on a forum rep who has gave vague answers.

Yeah people on here banter and they can call you out but its never been like interaction with other PC gamers. I'm not saying they are all like it but on the whole the PC experience for me as been quite bad to the point if I was to go ahead and build my PC I'd never want to be apart of that community.

Where as on here whilst you get banter atleast you can have discussion and the information can be quite helpful. Anyway, not to derail the thread because I was talking about my experience with this 3080 fiasco. Its not a simple case of missing out on a pre-order.
Where in this thread did someone bash you for your experience? We are also part of the pc community and when you come in here trying to shit on Steve because oc uk are a bunch of dicks it won't fly well. OC uk =/= gamers nexus. :/

WakeTheWolf

Anybody who believes that shit is a fanboy. Normal pc folks knew what was behind the marketing speak. It was clear that if Nvidia was hyping the shit out of it, that atleast Ampere would be solid and no shitshow like the 2k series. I'm more disappointed in the raytracing performance.

Where in this thread did someone bash you for your experience? We are also part of the pc community and when you come in here trying to shit on Steve because oc uk are a bunch of dicks it won't fly well. OC uk =/= gamers nexus. :/

Mentioning Gamers Nexus is just an example of the typical: "You're entitled if you complain". The damage control for Nvidia is very apparent but mostly by Linus IMHO. I mean it's obvious they are going to do so. I only expect people like Mack to speak their mind and have more empathy towards frustrated buyers. I'm sorry I badmouthed your boyfriend though.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Hey it's me again , finally got everything up and running . So it seems like my previous MSI X570 Gaming Plus X16 Pcie slot doesn't like this card apparently . Such a nasty incompatibility issue to troubleshoot because I've no issue with other cards like RX470 or 1080Ti .

Changed mobo and everything is great . Control 100FPS DLSS Ray tracing on 3440x1440 baby

Fjr9Kt2.jpg

Also 3dmark Timespy bench just for the LUL

6znlCyI.png

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Hey it's me again , finally got everything up and running . So it seems like my previous MSI X570 Gaming Plus X16 Pcie slot doesn't like this card apparently . Such a nasty incompatibility issue to troubleshoot because I've not other issue with other cards like RX470 or 1080Ti .

Changed mobo and everything is great . Control 100FPS DLSS Ray tracing on 3440x1440 baby

Fjr9Kt2.jpg

6znlCyI.png
Good to hear your GPU is working. Like I told you it either PSU or mobo (I had similar problem before).

llien

nemiroff nemiroff Rickyiez Rickyiez M magaman Nydus Nydus
Ok, I get it on The Leather Man part: "dude is a well known liar", thanks.

But DF credibility is not affected eh?

Murdered 1080Ti
That 11Gb 3.5 years old GPU?
At the end of October we'll be able to see what who and why.
In particular, whether it was just out of fear, or if JH has quality spies in AMD ranks.
At the moment it's mostly smoke and mirrors..

In RTX games... frequently
Oh, thank you so much for that. In all... pardon my memory, how many of them are out there?

00_Zer0

So I decided to cancel my successful Asus ROG Strix 3080 OC preorder. I feel kinda dumb because I should have just be patient in the first place anyways. Seeing that Gigabyte has already confirmed 16/20GB models reassured my decision. I don't sweat it waiting till January/Feb for a new GPU or whenever all new GPUs will be widespread available. Also now I'm really curious to learn what AMD has in store.

Yes, I legitimately tried for an RTX 3080 and even decided to go to my local Microcenter when a card was showing in stock. All my efforts were in vain though, because no matter what I tried I couldn't get a card. Between these leaks showing 16/20GB cards and the botched 3080 launch, it has slowed my enthusiasm to rush out and get a 3080 right now. I'm going to wait and see what AMD brings to the table and then hopefully at the end of the year or early next year things will be clearer about these Nvidia cards with more ram.

pawel86ck

Banned

In particular, whether it was just out of fear, or if JH has quality spies in AMD ranks.

Oh, thank you so much for that. In all... pardon my memory, how many of them are out there?

Here's the list, it's not impressive but many next gen ports will use it (even witcher 3 will use RT in the near future). I'm guessing one year from now RT will become a standard in AAA games.

Last edited:

Wunray

Hey it's me again , finally got everything up and running . So it seems like my previous MSI X570 Gaming Plus X16 Pcie slot doesn't like this card apparently . Such a nasty incompatibility issue to troubleshoot because I've not other issue with other cards like RX470 or 1080Ti .

Fjr9Kt2.jpg

6znlCyI.png
Grays and enjoy.

Nydus

I took the df doom video as marketing. I like df but for the reviews I watch GN and hardware unboxed. I didn't even bother to watch the df review. Or was there something other then the doom video that I'm missing here?

For my part I look to df more for the software side of things. I think hardware is not really their prime field.

Mentioning Gamers Nexus is just an example of the typical: "You're entitled if you complain". The damage control for Nvidia is very apparent but mostly by Linus IMHO. I mean it's obvious they are going to do so. I only expect people like Mack to speak their mind and have more empathy towards frustrated buyers. I'm sorry I badmouthed your boyfriend though.
I never said your acting entitled. And did we watch the same video? Steve just explained that the stock from August till now was not enough to meet demand and that the AIB are even shipping cards via air now to sell as fast as they could. And I think he is correct with the assumption that when the AIB aren't shitting on Nvidia in this situation that nobody saw it coming. What he is saying tho that this pure rage and hatred some people throw around is just not justified for a simple piece of hardware. I have 5 preorders going and just one of them was payed upfront but they never promised a delivery date and so I keep it since it was my earliest of the 5. And luckily I didn't order via oc uk. I was tempted for a minute but the shipping to Germany was just too expensive.

Fjr9Kt2.jpg

6znlCyI.png
Nice! This means my 650W psu could work too! What motherboard are u using now?

I would have happily bought it off you and paid you for your effort. :(

Calverz

So i just randomly checked the nvidia store and it came up with buy it now for rtx3080. When i clicked it a small broken window appeared with nothing in it. I then refreshed it and back to out of stock. Im in uk.

YodaBB

So i just randomly checked the nvidia store and it came up with buy it now for rtx3080. When i clicked it a small broken window appeared with nothing in it. I then refreshed it and back to out of stock. Im in uk.
yeh it's been like that for a while, since at least 7am..although it doesn't go out of stock for me

Rikkori

Btw small = less than 50 cards. So optimistically they might get ~150ish cards September. Now consider the thousands of prospective buyers... oof.

GHG

Fjr9Kt2.jpg

6znlCyI.png

Good to hear.

What motherboard did you switch it to?

pawel86ck

Banned
3080 is over 2x faster compared to 2080 in GTA5. Grassy areas in GTA5 (especially with extended distance scaling at max and grass at ultra settings) are extremely demanding, but 3080 is fast enough to run this game at 60fps everywhere.

c33.jpg

Last edited:

Rickyiez

RX 5700XT ran 3440x1440 smooth, to me it seems people are making unnecessary GPU upgrades just because.

Well coming from 1080Ti which isn't that far from 5700XT , I wanted RT first and foremost . Next Control and RDR2 is pretty much unplayable , dips too much under 40-50FPS even at mid-high setting . That alone warrant upgrades .

Nice! This means my 650W psu could work too! What motherboard are u using now?
Good to hear.

What motherboard did you switch it to?

Quality 650W should work , I upgraded to 750W because I suspect it might be the issue but it isn't . Either way , it's good to have more headroom .

I switched to an Asrock B550m Pro 4 . It doesn't have much bell and whistle than my previous x570 , but I just need things to run stable ATM .

Ascend

Fjr9Kt2.jpg

6znlCyI.png
Glad you sorted it out.
imagine the outrage if this was an issue with an AMD card. "This is why you should never buy AMD". "AMD can never get their GPUs right". "AMD drivers suck". "I'm going back to nVidia". "I should have never spent so much money on an AMD card". "AMD cards always have these weird issues, that's why I never buy them".

Dunno guys, this looks like RDNA 2 has a fighting chance:

3080v309047j7s.png
I'll be blunt. If this is true, anyone that buys the RTX 3090 for gaming at anything more than $150 over the available RTX 3080 prices is an enemy of PC gaming. I would have said over RTX 3080 MSRP, but we already know it's likely that these cards will be selling at least $100 over MSRP soon.

Last edited:

Rikkori

I'll be blunt. If this is true, anyone that buys the RTX 3090 at anything more than $150 over the available RTX 3080 prices is an enemy of PC gaming. I would have said over RTX 3080 MSRP, but we already know it's likely that these cards will be selling at least $100 over MSRP soon.
Nah, I don't agree. There's value in VRAM, maybe not for gaming as much at these prices but there's secondary uses too (AI research, video editors, rendering etc). Plus with how little they cut the GA102 for this one I doubt they can make many chips anyway. So if you add up the extra PCB costs, the extra cooler costs, the gddr6x prices, the scarcity of the product, and put it all together - I don't think the price is necessarily exaggerated, it just doesn't make sense compared to a 3080 for pure gaming but then they're not positioning it as everyman's card either.

llien

There are so many flavors to choose from, and the one you chose was salt.

I'm sorry if someone not being into feces flavors offends you.

Going from "2 times faster" (Huang lies) to "look, 1.6-1.9 times faster" (DF lies, oh, just by incident it was an exclusive preview) to "well, actually about 1.3-1.6 faster" (real tests) is fairly remarkable, unless you are into the said flavors.

Which, still, is not a problem, whatever you fancy, stranger.

Last edited:

Ascend

Nah, I don't agree. There's value in VRAM, maybe not for gaming as much at these prices but there's secondary uses too (AI research, video editors, rendering etc). Plus with how little they cut the GA102 for this one I doubt they can make many chips anyway. So if you add up the extra PCB costs, the extra cooler costs, the gddr6x prices, the scarcity of the product, and put it all together - I don't think the price is necessarily exaggerated, it just doesn't make sense compared to a 3080 for pure gaming but then they're not positioning it as everyman's card either.
Ok I sort of agree... There are reasons to get the card, it's just not for gaming. I guess I should have been more clear on that front. Will edit.
I don't think the PCB is gonna cost significantly more. The two largest costs are indeed the RAM and the cooler. But I doubt that comes close to justify double the price of the RTX 3080.
There's a reason they didn't name the card a Titan though, because that's what it mostly resembles.

I'll be blunt. If this is true, anyone that buys the RTX 3090 for gaming at anything more than $150 over the available RTX 3080 prices is an enemy of PC gaming. I would have said over RTX 3080 MSRP, but we already know it's likely that these cards will be selling at least $100 over MSRP soon.
The 24GB of ram is gonna work great for my deep learning work. PC gaming is just a side benefit. Tell me console plebs, do you get paid to work on your PS5?

Last edited:
I'm sorry if someone not being into feces flavors offends you.

Going from "2 times faster" (Huang lies) to "look, 1.6-1.9 times faster" (DF lies, oh, just by incident it was an exclusive preview) to "well, actually about 1.3-1.6 faster" (real tests) is fairly remarkable, unless you are into the said flavors.

Which, still, is not a problem, whatever you fancy, stranger.
It’s 100%, 2x faster, than the 5700XT. Stay mad, AMD superfans!

For sure those 3090 results look off, it should be at least 25-30% faster than the 3080. Has to be some bottleneck, maybe it's the game engines hitting a wall or the cpu. Zen 3 should confirm that of its much better than the Intel chips in gaming.

Doom eternal would be a good one to confirm as that engine is CPU optimized and designed to run up to 1000 FPS or something mental like that.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
As some of you already know and have posted in this thread, VideoCardz has published supposed benchmark results of the RTX 3090, which indicate that it's 10% faster than the RTX 3080 at most despite having 20% more CUDA cores and 2.4 times the amount of VRAM. I find these results to be questionable, which makes me think that the RTX 3090 was being bottlenecked in someway during the execution of the benchmarks. Furthermore, I think that whatever the actual difference is between the RTX 3090 and RTX 3080 will be widened over time due to maturation of driver support.

PlI8ZBY.png

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

I know Linus did a piece about the whole 3080 launch balls up but I do quite like Jayz thoughts about how to avoid this sort of thing with Bots buying out pre-orders in seconds by just introducing set limits on orders and 2FA phone confirmation. Personally I'm holding out for the 3070Ti/3080Ti cards myself, but I sympathise with anyone who was hoping to get a 3080 day one and got shafted by Nvidia's failure to mitigate the inevitable.

Last edited:
As some of you already know and have posted in this thread, VideoCardz has published supposed benchmark results of the RTX 3090, which indicate that it's 10% faster than the RTX 3080 at most despite having 20% more CUDA cores and 2.4 times the amount of VRAM. I find these results to be questionable, which makes me think that the RTX 3090 was being bottlenecked in someway during the execution of the benchmarks. Furthermore, I think that whatever the actual difference is between the RTX 3090 and RTX 3080 will be widened over time due to maturation of driver support.

PlI8ZBY.png
Realistically the 3090 was always a prosumer production type of card. It was the old Titan tier, remember? The focus was always on big VRAM pools and relevance to the workstation market. Anyways I hope these benchmarks are very scary-wary and make no one want to buy a 3090, especially those scalpers. Maybe the tech journalist mafia will actually be useful for once in their miserable lives and scare enough people off that I’ll be able to get a 3090 next week.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Realistically the 3090 was always a prosumer production type of card. It was the old Titan tier, remember? The focus was always on big VRAM pools and relevance to the workstation market. Anyways I hope these benchmarks are very scary-wary and make no one want to buy a 3090, especially those scalpers. Maybe the tech journalist mafia will actually be useful for once in their miserable lives and scare enough people off that I’ll be able to get a 3090 next week.
LOL. Personally, I want an EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Youtubers being the worst of the bunch, both Linus Tech Tips and Gamers Nexus doing damage control for Nvidia. Literally telling their viewers that they are entitled and shouldn't be moaning. The funny thing is these YouTubers are the most entitled of them all and I've seen them moan about things for much less in the past.
I think you need to learn what the definition of "literally" is, and I don't think you listened to their videos if you think that's what the point of their videos was.

He was quick to 'killshot' as he calls AMD for their shady practices but is licking the arse of Nvidia because he got his review units secured.
The "killshot" video in question was about MSI, not AMD.

Gamers nexus and Linus have complained about much less things before so are just hypocrites.
Examples?

DF's numbers are accurate given the scenarios benchmarked. Different setups will yield different results. A sponsored video is obviously going to be showing off only the good stuff. What are you saying? That DF lied? That they were mistaken?

Nydus

TUF Gaming is cheaper and better.

I could kick myself for pre-ordering the ventus instead of the tuf at first. Had to pre-order the tuf at a different place for 40€ more :( the ventus will be fine, but the TUF seems just so good, especially with the quiet bios.

Last edited:
Overall as someone who wanted to get into PC Gaming I'm just done already.

What soured my experience somewhat is the fact that the retailers (Overclockers) had an ETA on shipping for 23rd September. So i ordered a card only for them to take my money on a pre-order and for the next day tell me that they have no stock and will not likely have stock till December. And it's not like it was simply that they had just ran out. It is that they only had 5 - 10 cards in the first place. Infact the spokesperson said "Could be november or december but definitely unlikely to be October" But very happy to STILL keep taking pre-orders. Their refund system is also garbage too.

Then you have the nasty bastards. The people in the community who just call you entitled for complaining. Who are literally shilling for the retailers and Nvidia. Youtubers being the worst of the bunch, both Linus Tech Tips and Gamers Nexus doing damage control for Nvidia. Literally telling their viewers that they are entitled and shouldn't be moaning. The funny thing is these YouTubers are the most entitled of them all and I've seen them moan about things for much less in the past.

My experience: The elitist community sucks and PC gaming is unfriendly to newcomers. W

I guess it's too late for you, but for anyone else "who wanted to get into PC Gaming" don't start with the bleeding edge.

Mid range and low end exist for a reason.

Top Bottom