• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

DeaDPo0L84

1. According to Best Buy, the ROG Strix RTX 3080 was released on September 17th, whereas the ROG Strix RTX 3090 will be released on October 29th.

2. The ROG Strix 3000 Series has more RGB lighting than the EVGA FTW3. The Strix has RGB lighting behind each of its three fans and along the side of it opposite its PCIe connector, whereas the FTW3 has RGB lighting only along the side of it that's opposite its PCIe connector (in addition to a small series of RGB text on its top side that reads "EVGA").

Dang wonder why it's such a long delay. Also concerning the rgb I guess the ftw seems like it has more cause that one big solid strip right in front. I'm torn on which to get, honestly I think it's a whichever comes in stock first decision.

kiphalfton

There was a third party seller who had an MSI RTX 3080 for $749.99... Of course I didn't click on the "Available from these sellers" button fast enough, as I figured it was another person selling it at an inflated price. By the time I did click the "Add to Cart" button, somebody else had already bought it.

thief183

At the online store where I ordered my 3080 TUF they have this image of it:

QA6baa0.png

..Which begs a lot of questions..

Edit: This is the same image they use for the official image of the back at Asus.com.

Youi are making me get scared, well I guess I'll have to offset the clock to -25 or -50 :( Sucks but it is 2 to 3 frame loss not much.

thief183

In this video the Tuf looks ok, I'm starting to think I got lucky....

at 3:14 you can see the board and it looks like they have all good capacitors.

Last edited:

Ascend

At the online store where I ordered my 3080 TUF they have this image of it:

QA6baa0.png

..Which begs a lot of questions..

Edit: This is the same image they use for the official image of the back at Asus.com.

Hm... Superior version were sent to reviewers to get a positive light on their cheap component cards, maybe...?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Dang wonder why it's such a long delay. Also concerning the rgb I guess the ftw seems like it has more cause that one big solid strip right in front. I'm torn on which to get, honestly I think it's a whichever comes in stock first decision.

I wanted the Strix, but its RGB lighting simply illuminates a pattern and the blades of its fans, whereas the RGB lighting of the FTW3 illuminates text that reads the name of the card (i.e. EVGA GeForce RTX 3080, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090), which I prefer. If I can't get the FTW3, then I'll try to get the PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB Triple Fan Edition, because it also has illuminated text.

3-XLR8-RTX-3090-EPIC-X-Triple-Fan-M-ra-3-2.png

nemiroff

Gold Member
Youi are making me get scared, well I guess I'll have to offset the clock to -25 or -50 :( Sucks but it is 2 to 3 frame loss not much.

Well, these marketing images may have been created very early on, and perhaps Asus identified and fixed the issue before "mass-production" started. I just found it interesting that there's a difference between the official pictures and the cards that the reviewers have.

Siri

Banned
Linus has a good conversation here about the 3090 and the criticisms that it is "only 15% better for $800 more boo hoo". I feel like the people making that criticism aren't paying attention or aren't trying to be serious or realistic.

Really good discussion there.

I said it earlier, this idea that Nvidia should be blamed for marketing the 3090 as a gaming card is bonkers. Of course they were going to do that.

As a consumer you’re not supposed to rush out and, sight unseen, buy something within seconds of its release, not knowing how it actually performs. Wanting something because you’re told it’s the biggest and the best will almost always make you look like a fool.

Nvidia should randomly re arrange their site every few hours to give us folks without a robotic friend a chance. Of course that's not going to happen.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

I wouldn't trust Best Buy. The Strix has not been sold yet. Premium cards should get more rigorous testing and that takes time. A 2 week delay is not at all unexpected. Still more cards will launch in the coming weeks, like EVGA's kingpin which is binned.

Buy whatever you can get now or risk having nothing for Cyberpunk.

I'm picking up a 1650 at Best Buy today and getting in the step up queue for an FTW. I should have done it ten days ago. I didn't realize that I have 45 days to return it instead of the standard 15 thanks to being premium elite or whatever they call it. It will probably be at least 2-3 months before I get to the end of the line, but if I don't pick anything up in the next 45, I'll just wait as long as it takes. Maybe AMD will surprise. :messenger_tongue:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there a Discord with restock alerts? Nowinstock discord is slow.

nemiroff

Gold Member
My ASUS RTX 3080 TUF Gaming just got home and it barely took me 5 minutes to install it. Running the Horizon Dawn benchmark to see the improvement

We don't care about you, we only care about the capacitors! How dare you leave without the interesting info, tell us NOW!

j/k. It's a storm in a teacup - Mostly

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

So it would seem after reading/watching so many videos about the recent capacitor issue that the fe is really the only sure bet out of the various cards? I guess that is not too surprising being it was made directly from Nvidia itself.

cucuchu

Seems to be a voltage issue with the lower end OC cards. Hence why just knocking off 50mhz results in much better stability and you maybe lose 1 (One) FPS.

So is the issue overblown? Yeah, it is but also people should not have to worry about their cards working out of the box. Hopefully this can be sorted with an update, but even then you will hear people complain that their card is being restricted when even with the slight undervolting, you are getting BEYOND advertised specs.

It sucks but anyone buying into a new generation of GPU's (AMD included), you know the first month or two are a bit rough and should expect that.

Mista

Banned
So it would seem after reading/watching so many videos about the recent capacitor issue that the fe is really the only sure bet out of the various cards? I guess that is not too surprising being it was made directly from Nvidia itself.
Asus are safe too

Celcius

°Temp. member

Looks like the founders edition cards don't dump tons of heat onto the cpu after all.
For anyone who doesn't want to watch the vid: the cpus actually run cooler because the rear fan is taking heat out of the case and dumping it outside.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
I still don’t understand why people stressing over getting them NOW! You waited for what? 2-3 years? Even more?

Wait for a couple of months lads. My friends making me feel like they’ll never restock the gpu’s
You're making the mistake of being way too rational mate.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I still don’t understand why people stressing over getting them NOW! You waited for what? 2-3 years? Even more?

Wait for a couple of months lads. My friends making me feel like they’ll never restock the gpu’s

Cyberpunk is coming out in 2 months, I’d like to have it before then.

duhmetree

I'm honestly glad I couldn't get my hands on it.

I'm waiting for AMD's offering and/or the next iteration of the 3080 with 20GB.

VFXVeteran

Banned

I'm not very confident that these boards will be in stock long enough for the average person to get ahold of one. Certainly not this year. The cards are indeed selling for way more on ebay and stores can't keep stock long enough (not even 2hrs). This is going to be a tough call to make which is why I went with the ebay purchase and paid more.

GHG

Doesn't the FTW3 have the healthy capacitor configuration (2 x MLCC + 4 x POSCAPs)?

It's not just about the capacitor config.

Worth watching at least the first 10 minutes to get a jist, there are a number of ways in which the AIB's are cheaping out on these PCB's in comparison to the Nvidia reference board (Asus included).

Siri

Banned
I'm not very confident that these boards will be in stock long enough for the average person to get ahold of one. Certainly not this year. The cards are indeed selling for way more on ebay and stores can't keep stock long enough (not even 2hrs). This is going to be a tough call to make which is why I went with the ebay purchase and paid more.

Buying the most powerful card, day one, if you’re a real enthusiast, is never a bad thing. I bought my RTX 2080 TI day one, because I viewed it as being the first 4K card, and I knew it would be put to use almost every night, which turned out to be exactly the case.

Gaming is something that brings me great, great joy, and my 2080 TI has been one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. Enjoy your 3090. Having it now is huge.

If I can find the XC3 version by EVGA I’ll buy it immediately. Happy gaming!

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It's not just about the capacitor config.

Worth watching at least the first 10 minutes to get a jist, there are a number of ways in which the AIB's are cheaping out on these PCB's in comparison to the Nvidia reference board (Asus included).
Well, darn. So, only the FE is a safe, worthy purchase? How about PNY's 3080s and 3090s?

Top Bottom