• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA RTX 4090 cannot run Remnant 2 with 60fps at Native 4K/Ultra

Well I've played both PS5 and PC versions for a couple of hours and if you have a 40 series card the PC version is so far ahead that you'd have to be crazy to consider PS5 version.

I've seen this now even in the 'broken' ports like RE4 Remake, Jedi Survivor and Dead Space where the console version is complete shit compared to PC with terrible IQ or performance or both in the case of Jedi Survivor but the general theme online is that the PC versions are a mess while the console versions are ok when the reality is the opposite at least if you have a current gen GPU and CPU.

I appreciate that most people don't upgrade very often and if that's you then the console version could represent the better version by some margin as like for like hardware the PC version can get completely dunked on for sure. The thing is I can fix things on PC while the PS5 version of Jedi Survivor is always going to look like a post cataract Monet painting and not run much better.

Even with DLSS upscaling and frame gen the image quality is light years ahead of the PS5 on the same screen. The PS5 version looks fine until you move the camera at which point it breaks up with ghosting, shimmering and other artifacts. There are definitely some artifacts around transparencies with DLSS but you get the same or worse with at native thanks to TAA and the other upscalers look crap.

I've noticed the upscaling issues more as I've got used to spotting them. There are artifacts with frame gen in Spider-Man PC despite some people telling you there are none and at first I was like wow the PS5 version had none of that. Then I actually went back and checked the PS5 version again and saw tons of aliasing, shimmering, ghosting, reconstruction artifacts around objects like trees etc. I wish I had just stayed ignorant to this stuff but as TVs get bigger and brighter it's hard not to notice.

The PS5 version of Remnant 2 drops to the 30s from 60fps while I've not seen things drop lower than 140fps on PC. Fake frames or not it has better IQ, fewer upscaling artifacts and less input lag and is just generally a much better experience.

Not tried on my older PC but it may well be a train wreck on older hardware and I can understand why that would piss everyone off as you would expect decent performance in this game even without upscaling as it is a real mixed bag looks wise.

hlm666

Not tried on my older PC but it may well be a train wreck on older hardware and I can understand why that would piss everyone off as you would expect decent performance in this game even without upscaling as it is a real mixed bag looks wise
My nephew is rocking a 2070s and a 3800x so that's around current console level and he put it on medium preset, dlss on quality from 1440p (so 1080p) and he's comfortably been above 60fps. My 3080 on high preset with shadows on medium, dlss quality at 1440p was running around 90fps in standard combat (over 100fps while not). It hit the mid 60's during some parts of 2 boss fights (1 being the last boss) and there is one room in a later area of the game with a purple portal thing and nothing else and I cratered to 40fps, they need to fix that effect up it's really broken. But there's been no stuttering and shit so while it's not as good as it probably could be and the fact we are having to run at 1080p it seems to run acceptably if the user understands their 3+ year old hardware isn't who the ultra preset is for.

daninthemix

Well I've played both PS5 and PC versions for a couple of hours and if you have a 40 series card the PC version is so far ahead that you'd have to be crazy to consider PS5 version.

I've seen this now even in the 'broken' ports like RE4 Remake, Jedi Survivor and Dead Space where the console version is complete shit compared to PC with terrible IQ or performance or both in the case of Jedi Survivor but the general theme online is that the PC versions are a mess while the console versions are ok when the reality is the opposite at least if you have a current gen GPU and CPU.

I appreciate that most people don't upgrade very often and if that's you then the console version could represent the better version by some margin as like for like hardware the PC version can get completely dunked on for sure. The thing is I can fix things on PC while the PS5 version of Jedi Survivor is always going to look like a post cataract Monet painting and not run much better.

Even with DLSS upscaling and frame gen the image quality is light years ahead of the PS5 on the same screen. The PS5 version looks fine until you move the camera at which point it breaks up with ghosting, shimmering and other artifacts. There are definitely some artifacts around transparencies with DLSS but you get the same or worse with at native thanks to TAA and the other upscalers look crap.

I've noticed the upscaling issues more as I've got used to spotting them. There are artifacts with frame gen in Spider-Man PC despite some people telling you there are none and at first I was like wow the PS5 version had none of that. Then I actually went back and checked the PS5 version again and saw tons of aliasing, shimmering, ghosting, reconstruction artifacts around objects like trees etc. I wish I had just stayed ignorant to this stuff but as TVs get bigger and brighter it's hard not to notice.

The PS5 version of Remnant 2 drops to the 30s from 60fps while I've not seen things drop lower than 140fps on PC. Fake frames or not it has better IQ, fewer upscaling artifacts and less input lag and is just generally a much better experience.

Not tried on my older PC but it may well be a train wreck on older hardware and I can understand why that would piss everyone off as you would expect decent performance in this game even without upscaling as it is a real mixed bag looks wise.
Yeah this. With top hardware your "bad PC port" is always, always lightyears ahead of the console version. The bitching comes from those without top hardware, and it's perfectly valid. But the point is, if you want the best version of just about anything, get it on PC. And have a top-end PC. Simple as.

Disco Dave

SyE4PjG.jpg

Top Bottom