• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Unveils Ray Tracing Technology RTX Coming to Ring of Elysium, Boundary, and Other Games.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During the GTC China 2019 conference, NVIDIA unveiled several games that are getting raytracing technology via the RTX platform.

NVIDIA’s GTC conferences bring together the world’s leading graphics and gaming experts, and companies at the forefront of GPU use for science, industry, and other fields. In the realm of gaming at GTC 2019 world tour in Suzhou, six new RTX games were announced with cutting-edge implementations of high-fidelity, immersive ray-traced effects and a new Minecraft with NVIDIA RTX Creators Ray Tracing Showcase video was released.

Siri

Banned
With the RTX 2080Ti we’re just getting a glimpse of the future. Ray Tracing is the real deal. Two or three generations from now ray tracing will transform the look of games.

Blond

Banned
RTX is still 100% irrelevant for today's games, and today's RTX cards won't be able to render RTX worth shit in a few years.

Umm a few years? They can't even render what's out here now without sacrificing resolution or tanking the framerate.

Apparently, Amid Evil is also gonna have ray tracing.
bpKTToMsxmhkRGSWuwbrHN-650-80.png

lukilladog

With the RTX 2080Ti we’re just getting a glimpse of the future. Ray Tracing is the real deal. Two or three generations from now ray tracing will transform the look of games.

You don´t even need ray tracing to simulate realistic lighting and effects. I played the Darkness 2 couple of days ago... game has perfect mirrors lol:

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
You don´t even need ray tracing to simulate realistic lighting and effects. I played the Darkness 2 couple of days ago... game has perfect mirrors lol:

So you want to render all the scene, entirely, for each mirror/reflection?
GPUs dont like you.

It´s the true, realistic : convincingly rendered to appear natural.

I reply with this video everytime someone pointlessly argues against ray tracing. Watch it entirely and let me know if you think non ray traced is still better, not just visually but in terms of dev time.

lukilladog

Correct, but that is because with ray tracing it doesn’t need to do that. Mirrors in games without ray tracing are not reflections like you’d see in a puddle for example.

I mean reflect the entire scene for every reflective surface.

lukilladog

I reply with this video everytime someone pointlessly argues against ray tracing. Watch it entirely and let me know if you think non ray traced is still better, not just visually but in terms of dev time.

Weak comparison, the base version of the game was designed for 1.3 tflop gpu´s and restrained by them, something like a 750ti.

Last edited:

lukilladog

Nah I'm good. The video is extremely detailed. There's no need for any further explanation and you're clearly just an ignorant and you don't care if you're wrong.

Still weak argument to make visual comparisons on vanilla vs rtx on actual games, because of the base gpu´s/processors they were designed for.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The biggest improvements with RTX in that Metro video are in areas where it looked shit. A total lack of shadowing and depth as if there's not even any ambient occlusion. Sure, maybe it takes a little extra time and planning to assign or even bake lighting values depending on the set up and needs of the specific game but if the result is nearly equally great visuals on far lower end hardware it's worth it. Games will always get by with smoke and mirrors, the most closely simulated approach isn't necessarily the best usage of your always limited to a degree hardware. It's like saying hey, we have the power for crazy amounts of polygons so screw normal mapping and displacement mapping and similar technologies, let's just use raw polygons for everything, leaving anything less than a 3XXX series Titan in the dust for a ~30fps game that doesn't even look overall better than previous 60+fps games that did utilize those methods to reduce the overhead. Engines like Unity still implement and improve things like the progressive GPU lightmapper that vastly reduce the time requirements to bake lighting in a level (it's a matter of minutes now) for a reason. We still have games that don't even utilize full dynamic lighting, nevermind physically based lighting, nevermind RTX lighting, for the whole scene (vs just aspects like reflections and other specific elements). Sure, it'll be cool when even modest hardware has decent ray tracing performance and at that point everyone should migrate as the development tools will also have matured to that end but we still have a long way to go for it to be the norm without sacrificing other visual elements or performance levels which is a subjective trade off so telling people "just reduce settings then even a 2060 RTX can get decent medium RTX performance in that one game" is silly. Maybe when the 4XXX series arrive we'll get there without Nvidia having to fund games to get partial RTX 6 months later to justify it.

Last edited:
Still weak argument to make visual comparisons on vanilla vs rtx on actual games, because of the base gpu´s/processors they were designed for.

I'm not sure if you're trolling, you don't understand english properly or are just not that bright. You made a post that you would rather have fake/cheap lighting instead of ray tracing and now you're saying the comparison between those two is weak because the hardware was not designed for ray tracing? What the fuck are you talking about? Actually, don't bother replying. You clearly have no idea what you're saying. You're just posting nonsense. I don't like ignoring people at all but you deserve it.

Last edited:

lukilladog

I'm not sure if you're trolling, you don't understand english properly or are just not that bright. You made a post that you would rather have fake/cheap lighting instead of ray tracing and now you're saying the comparison between those two is weak because the hardware was not designed for ray tracing? What the fuck are you talking about? Actually, don't bother replying. You clearly have no idea what you're saying. You're just posting nonsense. I don't like ignoring people at all but you deserve it.

Let me explain it to you... if the game was designed for a 13 tflop gpu using more advanced non rt techniques, instead of the equivalent of a 750ti, it would probably look better than the actual rtx version... which actually made a quite a few compromises on the lighting implementation, but I´m sure you know because you are so bright. Moron.

JimboJones

Let me explain it to you... if the game was designed for a 13 tflop gpu using more advanced non rt techniques, instead of the equivalent of a 750ti, it would probably look better than the actual rtx version... which actually made a quite a few compromises on the lighting implementation, but I´m sure you know because you are so bright. Moron.

The non rt techniques (like duplicating an entire scene for a reflection) would become waaaay more demanding if used for every reflection, it's just not feasible in the long run. There are nice hacks to simulate lighting but that's all they are, hacks, they work under certain circumstances but not all.

lukilladog

The non rt techniques (like duplicating an entire scene for a reflection) would become waaaay more demanding if used for every reflection, it's just not feasible in the long run. There are nice hacks to simulate lighting but that's all they are, hacks, they work under certain circumstances but not all.

It´s not necessary to have detailed reflections for every reflection, even in real life most reflective stuff lacks a mirror finish... so I don´t see the urge. As for other lighting thechniques, what´s the percentage of the situations where they don´t work?.

Top Bottom