• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Not sure if sarcastic or not, but that's the worst part of it for me. They'll just ditch a console if it doesn't sell as well as they'd like. Not a good image for me.

rofl you got more first party games than most recent Nintendo consoles

Well, there hasn't exactly been a ton of good news about Nintendo. It isn't some grand conspiracy theory.

The intent was always immediate doom and not an eventual one. NX is their gamble for that.

So will this be handheld or console? Could we really go until late 2017 without anything console wise from nintendo?

Multiple console ports rumored, DQXI prematurely announced for NX. ZELDA IS LITERALLY A LAUNCH TITLE. March 2017 is the target. That's all info to tell you that it's a home console and that, ruling out another bombshell, it will be out early 2017.

They have too many IP to have a bleak future in the hardware/platform business (and too many millions of fans). Nintendo is not going anywhere.

You say that, and yet despite releasing some of the absolute best games in some of their biggest franchises on the Wii U, they did nothing to save it from bombing. Nintendo's IP are well known and popular, but whether or not they're in high enough demand to facilitate people spending money on the hardware to play them on is another story.

I'm not saying they're going anywhere. I'm saying their hardware business is nowhere near as safe as some of you seem to think it is. The trends and evidence is there, and you ignore it because people know who Mario is? Nah.

No, it's an attitude that people have genuinely and consistently adopted in every single Nintendo thread on this site for years now.

Not true. I've seen plenty of threads where it hasn't been. The persecution complex is boring. Please refrain.

Psydonk

Hello Nintendo Rep that is reading this thread along with all the other people woking in Nintendo PR probably gauging this news.

There better be something at E3 about the NX and it's games. Srsly. You're walking on thin ice even with your hardcore fans here.

I was talking to friends of mine about this one said the NX is probably severely underpowered and they simply could not showcase that during E3, because why else don't you want to go all out during that show? It's definitely possible, i mean did anybody really see those PSK4 reports coming? I sure didn't and it probably took Nintendo by surprise too.

Of course it's also possible that they simply underestimated things and don't want to rush it out. And a October/December reveal event/whatever would make more sense, since the launch will be March. Thoughts?

This is good news. Finally Nintendo can spend 2016 focusing on becoming an even better toy company. I look forward to all the new Amiibo's they'll have to show us this E3!

This better be a REALLY great Nintendo gaming box that will combine (exclusive) Wii U and 3DS support. This release date just completely shot the chance for the NX to have solid third party AAA support.

People aren't going to wait 3-4 months to play AAA Holiday 2016 multiplats. Low multiplat sales = low multiplat support.
So, 3rds don't make any more games next year? Is this the reason why the next CoD is called "Infinite", because, being the last CoD you'll play it forever?

Sometimes i really want to witness the thoughts of you guys when you come up with such bullshit predictions. From "Thing releases March 2017" to "This translates to bad 3rd party sales and thus no support at all. Fact" is really interesting.

Narroo

Given that their last three console console launches were mid November, a 2017 March release would only be about 4 months or so. It's not really that long of a delay. It's not like it's in November 2017, which would be 3 times longer then what people though.

It is odd that they're launching in March though...that's pretty close to just past the holidays. It makes me wonder what they're strategy. I suppose the NX isn't a regular console then.

Shenmue 3, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, and so many other world premiere's happened just last year.

E3 is fine.

I don't see e3 going anywhere but I also don't see how a shenmue 3 announcement is related to that like it could have only happened at e3. what's the connection there?

What a god damn joke, thats all this shit has to be right? A joke? Because certainly a multi billion dollar corporation enjoys earning money. They are going to have another embarassingly barren year because of this.

SeanR1221

I'll gladly come back to eat crow but it seems like Nintendo never learns.

Wii U owners are going to be starved for games.

And lol they'll try and sell you Zelda twice now within 3 months

What a god damn joke, thats all this shit has to be right? A joke? Because certainly a multi billion dollar corporation enjoys earning money. They are going to have another embarassingly barren year because of this.

At this point through all the fucking negativity, I'm just hoping they have announcements to fill the gap so people don't lose their goddamn minds.

Peltz

Given that their last three console console launches were mid November, a 2017 March release would only be about 4 months or so. It's not really that long of a delay. It's not like it's in November 2017, which would be 3 times longer then what people though.

It is odd that they're launching in March though...that's pretty close to just past the holidays. It makes me wonder what they're strategy. I suppose the NX isn't a regular console then.

They launched 3DS in March as well.

Betty

Banned
I don't see e3 going anywhere but I also don't see how a shenmue 3 announcement is related to that like it could have only happened at e3. what's the connection there?

The connection is that it was announced at E3, just last year, once we get megatons announced outside of E3 on a regular basis then I'll worry for the future of the event.

Disxo

I'll gladly come back to eat crow but it seems like Nintendo never learns.

Wii U owners are going to be starved for games.

And lol they'll try and sell you Zelda twice now within 3 months
Looks like the wii-Gamecube transition with games for both platforms, nothing new.

Their revenue forecast is flat while increasing income, reducing costs and focusing on the other pillars (mobile & IP business).

The only thing I read in this thread is: I can't hype up my Nintendo E3-show, which wouldn't change the NX release date anyway.

udivision

I mean... yes but are there even going to be any retail games for it this summer or this fall?

What's on the horizon for the Wii U?
Tokyo Mirage Seishun Kyosokyoku and Paper Mario.

Also a rumored Amiibo game, but I feel like all previous rumors have no weight now.

NotLiquid

I'm fine with a 2017 launch. It makes the most sense in terms of maximizing a potential software launch lineup. It might not make investors happy, but as a consumer I think it's a good thing, and I'm in no rush for a Nintendo fix. Release the console and ensure you do so with a bang.

The lack of presence at E3 is something I worry more about. It doesn't do much to get the momentum going, so they're going to need to do something big soon, especially considering it's following up on the Wii U and they don't have the biggest goodwill. The actual news about corporate shifts and structural changes is good news going forward because Nintendo needs to really shake it up but in actual public light they need to work something out fast.

"Nintendo would be stupid to unveil the NX at E3. Console announcements are bigger than E3!"

5SOe0H4.jpg

Psydonk

You say that, and yet despite releasing some of the absolute best games in some of their biggest franchises on the Wii U, they did nothing to save it from bombing. Nintendo's IP are well known and popular, but whether or not they're in high enough demand to facilitate people spending money on the hardware to play them on is another story.

I'm not saying they're going anywhere. I'm saying their hardware business is nowhere near as safe as some of you seem to think it is. The trends and evidence is there, and you ignore it because people know who Mario is? Nah.

This is how I feel as well. Nintendo has the franchises, but the games seem still like they are out of another era.

For example, Pokemon, I was blown away by Ni No Kuni and then going back to Pokemon, Pokemon just seems completely ancient in comparison.

Zelda? With Action RPG's being one of the strongest AAA franchises these days, this next Zelda better be off the rails crazy and perfect in every way, because it's competing with games like The Witcher 3 and Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls, that is the quality people expect out of action RPG/Action adventure games these days.

Mario, Mario's up against a huge resurgence in platformers thanks to the indie boom and ones that are far, far more experimental than Mario is.

Seriously, one of the biggest mistakes Nintendo has ever made, was not supporting indie developers. It should have been the entire focus with the Wii, but famously, indie devs found it hard to get on the system or past it's ridiculous limitations (40mb downloads)

I am surprised that Nintendo is not unveiling the NX at E3 this year at least. We really have no idea what the NX really is. I just want to know what kind console it is and the features. We are not even getting that information at E3 let alone a price and specific release date.

Yep. Activision and EA won't be attending E3 at all, which speaks volumes about how the event is losing relevancy.

Hardware versus software.

E3 is losing software relevance because of the rise of digital direct and mail-order (Amazon) sales. Particularly, EA has their own digital release platform they would prefer to push over traditional retail, and Activision's most successful outlet (Blizzard) has their own dedicated digital storefront and basically releases online-only games (which have the least need or want for retail space, often not having retail releases at all of all non-mobile games).

Hardware is not software. Hardware still relies on brick and mortar retail outlets primarily for sales. Nintendo, in particular, seems to have smaller shares of mail-order hardware sales, fewer dedicated outlets (ie, Microsoft Stores), and are by the far the most reliant on impulse buys, as evidenced by how much of their sales are made during the holiday season.

E3 is important to retail partners. That's why consoles traditionally debut there: it gives retailers enough forewarning for shelf and warehousing space to be allocated and supply chains to otherwise be prepared, as these things need to be ordered by retailers well in advance of their actual sale on shelves.

Nintendo is already in a shitty position with retailers because the Wii-U ended up overstocked basically everywhere and didn't provide nearly as much software to push as promised (retailers prefer software, since it feeds into their resale systems and the margin is generally much better than hardware with respect to shelf space). They're in an even crummier position with a March release, given that retailers know they historically don't sell hardware units well outside of the holiday season.

They really aren't in a position to be losing more retailer confidence by just not showing merchandise at trade shows. This is entirely a case of a god-awful bad scenario they didn't want to be in, but probably deemed the less-bad choice for other reasons (supply line problems with the hardware, development shortfalls for software, etc.). This isn't a preferred strategy of any kind.

bman94

Yes! For once I was fucking right. I knew the NX wasn't coming out this year, it seemed way too soon to replace the Wii U. Take your time with this one Nintendo, PLEASE take your time.

The reveal at E3 for the millions of people watching and it having the world record for fastest crowd funding are definitely related. Who knows where it would be without that limelight last year.

Josh5890

The intent was always immediate doom and not an eventual one. NX is their gamble for that.

Multiple console ports rumored, DQXI prematurely announced for NX. ZELDA IS LITERALLY A LAUNCH TITLE. March 2017 is the target. That's all info to tell you that it's a home console and that, ruling out another bombshell, it will be out early 2017.

At this point nothing can surprise me anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom