• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NxGamer: How Important are API's? | Technobabble

NXGamer

The forum implemented thread tags a while ago - you can see them in the titles. I don't know if there a usage rules implied for them though. As for you being a Playstation guy - what's the issue with that? I'm not denigrating or bismirching your reputation. If I desired to know some bridging information regarding Playstation I would definitely check out your channel but I would take your content regarding MS/Xbox with a grain of salt. it's probably wise to be accepting of doubts and criticisms when being a public commentator, I hope that's ok with you.
That is more than fine by me, no worries. It is the context You placed as 'Known' on my PS preference rather than 'Opinion'. This is your opinion, which is fine, it may also be others opinion, which is also fine.

Just as many have the 'Opinion' that DF is MS biased and as such may take the reverse stance to you on PS to MS info. All good if that is your choice and I respect that, but I hope my work and info over the years has proven I am an honest person with a solid history thus far and I intend to continue that.

I only show and tell things as they are, backed up with facts and stats where possible and my view on areas and insight if I have direct experience on it. As for the tags I am happy whatever the Mods deem appropriate for the thread is fine by me, they are the boss here.

The Shift

Banned
That is more than fine by me, no worries. It is the context You placed as 'Known' on my PS preference rather than 'Opinion'. This is your opinion, which is fine, it may also be others opinion, which is also fine.

Just as many have the 'Opinion' that DF is MS biased and as such may take the reverse stance to you on PS to MS info. All good if that is your choice and I respect that, but I hope my work and info over the years has proven I am an honest person with a solid history thus far and I intend to continue that.

I only show and tell things as they are, backed up with facts and stats where possible and my view on areas and insight if I have direct experience on it. As for the tags I am happy whatever the Mods deem appropriate for the thread is fine by me, they are the boss here.

You make great content mate - all good.

VFXVeteran

Banned

Having said that - I would like to see you examine more multi-platform games. In fact, I'd be willing to help with dissecting the various graphics techniques at the lower level whether exclusive or not. Doing some comparisons to other platforms would be beneficial too. I think the impression of only caring about the Sony exclusives would diminish greatly if you branched out a little bit like you did with reviewing Horizon for PC.

Cheers

J_Gamer.exe

I think NX just answered, I am not sure about this tabloid like “countered hard like a backed animal” 😂.

Yeah, probably got a bit carried away there 😏 but he was under attack and defended his position.

People questioned what he knows etc he told them and imo put them in their place.

Fun socks was happy to grill NXGamer NXGamer about his background but as soon as questions turned on him he folded. Then he refused to listen to the answers.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yeah, probably got a bit carried away there 😏 but he was under attack and defended his position.

People questioned what he knows etc he told them and imo put them in their place.

Fun socks was happy to grill NXGamer NXGamer about his background but as soon as questions turned on him he folded. Then he refused to listen to the answers.
Again, already given my reason. No amount of baiting is pulling me back in to get banned, but keep trying.
He answered nothing and then tried to bring my azure development knowledge into question for some reason. My knowledge on any subject has nothing to do with him not actually having any evidence to support his claims.

Get NXGamer to answer these questions that he keeps avoiding and you’ll see why I asked for evidence to back up his claims other than “anonymous sources”:

1. Does NXGamer have access to either dev kit?

2. Does NXGamer work in the video game industry in any way as a developer?

3. Does NXGamer have access to next gen consoles to capture video directly, or is he analysing videos that other people with access to the games make?

4. How is NXGamer comparing the performance of similarly functioning APIs on both PS5 and XSX to conclude that Microsofts are worse? Which APIs are they, are they ones to get the location of an enemy? To calculate LOD? To calculate ray tracing? Which ones? What is the performance difference? How is this being measured? Can you confirm the APIs are doing the exact same things, and one isn't doing more behind the scenes than the other?

Simple, straight forward questions that are easy to answer and would put it to bed. You won’t get answers though, because then it puts the claims to bed as just rumour, bordering FUD.

So go on, ask him to answer those questions. Last post from me in here, threads on ignore now.

Last edited:

J_Gamer.exe

Again, already given my reason. No amount of baiting is pulling me back in to get banned, but keep trying.
He answered nothing and then tried to bring my azure development knowledge into question for some reason. My knowledge on any subject has nothing to do with him not actually having any evidence to support his claims.

I didn't tag you deliberately seeing as you dont seem to want to be here... but i post and instantly here you are anyway....

Although i was going to reply to your longer post later when i have more time.

I dont think you get banned if your reasonable in responses, debate is what the site is about, people should be able to disagree, question etc without going too far.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I didn't tag you deliberately seeing as you dont seem to want to be here... but i post and instantly here you are anyway....

Although i was going to reply to your longer post later when i have more time.

I dont think you get banned if your reasonable in responses, debate is what the site is about, people should be able to disagree, question etc without going too far.
Instantly breaking my no more posts haha. I can read threads, and I thought I’d put to bed yet again the attacking you guys are doing saying I’m “scurrying off” because I got “owned”.

I just want to see receipts. That’s it. Anonymous sources doesn’t cut it. My credentials and if you believe them or not are irrelevant because I’m not the one making the claims. I don’t claim to be a game dev or know that APIs are broken and behind. I claim to be a back end software dev, which I am, but I don’t know why I need to do an azure exam to want him to answer questions about his claims.

Are we on the same page? Ask him to answer those questions and then see why you should maybe also press F to doubt his claims.

Last edited:

GHG

Having said that - I would like to see you examine more multi-platform games. In fact, I'd be willing to help with dissecting the various graphics techniques at the lower level whether exclusive or not. Doing some comparisons to other platforms would be beneficial too. I think the impression of only caring about the Sony exclusives would diminish greatly if you branched out a little bit like you did with reviewing Horizon for PC.

Cheers

He does do plenty of multiplatform content, it just doesn't get posted here for whatever reason:

Don't recall any of the above getting their own threads.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yea, aside from Crysis, those other games aren't very popular. We are talking about games like HZD compared to PS4 version, Cyberpunk, BG3, FS2020, RDR2, COD, AC:Valhalla, etc..

GHG

I claim to be a back end software dev, which I am, but I don’t know why I need to do an azure exam to want him to answer questions about his claims.

Are you joking? You said below:

I'm a software developer with almost 20 years experience, mainly back end, and most of my jobs have been literally creating APIs that form the backbone for massively scalable systems that do hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue per year, and using 3rd party APIs. My APIs are used by dozens of partner companies in extremely time critical use cases where a REST API returning a call in 3s vs 3.5s can save millions and millions of dollars. You could say that I have a bit of experience and knowledge in this area, yes.

Web APIs != graphics API's

I'm a full stack web dev and wouldn't dream of saying the following:

You could say that I have a bit of experience and knowledge in this area, yes.

You only have exposure to server side web APIs, the graphics APIs which are the subject of discussion here are a whole other beast.

Also don't make me laugh with you saying the only reason he was then questioning you on the subject was to discredit you (which is what you said prior to editing a post above), you've spent the entirety of your time in this thread trying to discredit him.

---

Yea, aside from Crysis, those other games aren't very popular. We are talking about games like HZD compared to PS4 version, Cyberpunk, BG3, FS2020, RDR2, COD, AC:Valhalla, etc..

He's previously covered games like RDR2, COD and AC.

Bottom line is it's his channel and he should cover what he wants to cover (and also cover what he can cover - he doesn't have a top of the line gaming PC).

I appreciated his Ride 4 preview because while niche it's still a game I'm interested in picking up at some point.

It's good that he has some content that is different to what the likes of DF put out, what's the use of just duplicating everything they do?

Last edited:
Sony and PlayStation 5 do not have an echo system to support (which includes other devices such as tablets, mobile, PC, laptops etc) and is a highly fine tuned integrated customized console, so there can be more dedication and focus for Sonys wants and needs. Another problem supporting the Windows 10 in general, is being bogged down by legacy and win32.

I think MS is headed in the right direction and have made significant improvements to its API's, and perhaps windows 10x can get rid of legacy baggage garbage that will reduce further overhead for a lighter, buttery smooth, fluid, intuitive OS.
People said the same for windows 8/10 phone OS and desktop integration... Did not pan out. Also, shouldn't their size advantage allow them to tackle these issues in parallel ?

I would rather get a device well adapted and focused on what I want to do with it.

pyrocro

Having worked within it for many a year, the performance for basic stuff such as DB Updates and Commits, Network Socket throttling, Tenant restrictions.

YOU can get much better performance on some areas, but it is all Tier related and is the benefit and curse of Remote solutions. You will rarely get the performance from a mid tier VM than a decent local sever for example.
hmmmm this is an overly safe/obvious thing to say.
Of course, it's slower than your local network and if we could fit all one's memory and compute requirements for a given application on one PC it would be faster seeing as all the interconnects are faster. (grand revelation)
is L2 cache more performant than L3 yes if you never miss predictions. it exists to handle a particular use case same as Azure.
saying L3 cache/Azure is not performant does not say anything with out context.

It still stands that you saying Azure is not performant is such a weird pegged leg to stand on.

my real problem with it of course is it seems to be meant to delegitimize what I would consider real questions by MrFunSocks MrFunSocks
maybe you don't consider his questions real, that's of course whatever.
just saying ragging on Azure is such a weird sidestep.

The entire structure is built around Async EVERYTHING at all times which means you have to change drastic parts of your code, use App related accounts and service accounts (which is good practise) unless you just hit the throttles on the environment to manage the resource.

Some areas you have hard locks on Action limits and even here you cannot just buy past it.

Like ALL things it is a compromise but moving to Azure has good an bad points and by and large ease and scale is its strongest, sheer throughput and performance is not..always.
definitions.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Crazy that people have derailed this thread with talk of cloud services and web APIs. It's like going into thread about cutting edge motorbike and starting a discussion on push bikes.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I appreciate independent analysis and insights 👍

NXGamer

Of course, it's slower than your local network and if we could fit all one's memory and compute requirements for a given application on one PC it would be faster seeing as all the interconnects are faster. (grand revelation)
is L2 cache more performant than L3 yes if you never miss predictions. it exists to handle a particular use case same as Azure.

It still stands that you saying Azure is not performant is such a weird pegged leg to stand on.

my real problem with it of course is it seems to be meant to delegitimize what I would consider real questions by MrFunSocks MrFunSocks

definitions.
What I said has NOTHING to do with latency, Network speeds or such, this is all data within the tenant, local process and not remote at all.

This is all data running within VM's/Containers or even with Blob or such. And even then I have managed complete P2V local servers within SAN and this is not an issue at all related to L3 vs Azure, these are in no way related.

Also, I am not ragging on Azure at all, AWS is a better service/different service in many areas, not in others. Many of the issues revolve around the Cloud (I so hate that term) solution to other options such as you own DC or On-prem solution, this is all.
Crazy that people have derailed this thread with talk of cloud services and web APIs. It's like going into thread about cutting edge motorbike and starting a discussion on push bikes.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I appreciate independent analysis and insights 👍
You are right, I am also tired of it but I also got sucked in myself.

Thanks for keeping me honest :messenger_horns::messenger_bicep:

Last edited:

NXGamer

Cheers
As pointed out above by GHG GHG I cover loads of Multi-Platform titles so often, and have done since 2013 when I started.

I do as much as I can, when I can, with the access I have.

Thanks for the offer of help.

RiSA

Neo Member

I'm actually curious how optimized games would get if we actually did code everything in assembly.

EDIT: I take that back, every game would probably be FF vs 13 in terms of development length lol
In most cases it would be less optimized than compiled, as compilers does optimizations that would be prohibitively laborious for human to do by hands. Only small sections of an extremely performance critical piece of code, like an inner loop of some math kernel, are worth hand optimizing.

RiSA

Neo Member
I wonder has NXGamer seen what graphics APIs look like?

Modern graphics API like D3D12 and Vulkan (but exclude Apple's Metal) are typically an extremely light abstract layer on top of modern GPU. Not only do drivers directly implement each API function, but each function also directly mimics how low level commands are submitted to GPU and GPU native objects (e.g. descriptors) are directly managed.

The only difference between modern PC graphics API and console graphics API, from my experience, would be the abstraction over GPU memory, as console allows you to have no abstraction at all, but on PC you must accommodate different memory topology (e.g. UMA, NUMA with virtualized video memory, NUMA without virtualized video memory).

Really, modern graphics APIs, D3D12, Vulkan, Gnm (again excluding Metal) are more or less different flavour of the same thing, or different realizations of the same design philosophies. Most differences, like plain C functions vs Nano-COM interfaces, are superficial.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

definitions.
Software will have better performance on a dedicated server than Azure.
That is not the goal of Azure.

There are several key advantages of Azure over dedicated servers that makes it worth of use... these are scalability, security, management and cost.

Performance is not one of them.

You can make a pro/cons of Dedicated vs Azure:

Azure Pros
  • No need buy hardware for neither install or upgrade
  • Unlimited instance, CPU, RAM, disk, etc scaling
  • Dynamic/Elastic scaling
  • Pay for what you use
  • Resilient and Redundant
Azure Cons
  • You need to pay for more Bandwidth, Disk space, SQL storage, CPU cores, RAM, etc
  • Lower performance in many cases
  • Lack of control
Dedicated Server Pros
  • Full control
  • High performance
  • Room to grow
Dedicated Server Cons
  • Rigid specs
  • Always paying for maximum power
  • Limited physical disk space
  • Physical scaling limit (vertically)
  • Hardware failures
  • Non-resilient
  • Configuration and Management

I believe at the long run the Azure is a great deal because it saves a lot of cost with maintance, physical space and employees to support the Dedicated server 24/7.
But that deal is not based in performance.

You can obvious easy brute force performance with Azure but that is called scalability and not really performance... eg. you can add more CPU core, RAM, etc that make your software runs faster but that means a dedicated server with the same config will have higher performance.

PS. We had a client we implemented a high customized Oracle Siebel CRM... it ran in dedicated servers before and from two years ago we migrated all to Azure because they choose it due cost... the software runs perfectly fine and they have no complain about it but the performance and response time is not the same (they understand it is a compromise) no matter how much Instances, CPU cores, RAM, etc we add to the Azure host.

Do you know why the heavy processing financial tasks in all banks in the world still runs in dedicated mainframes with Cobol programs? One of the reasons is no other language or tech were created that can reach the performance of these Cobol programs.

Last edited:

GHG

This isn't the topic for it but with Azure you trade raw performance for scalability. That's the bottom line. The whole selling point of Azure is that you see little drop-off in performance as you scale up. It is designed to be performant in high load situations but if your web app doesn't demand that then you will be able to find faster solutions at low load levels.

Md Ray

Get NXGamer to answer these questions that he keeps avoiding and you’ll see why I asked for evidence to back up his claims other than “anonymous sources”:

1. Does NXGamer have access to either dev kit?

2. Does NXGamer work in the video game industry in any way as a developer?

3. Does NXGamer have access to next gen consoles to capture video directly, or is he analysing videos that other people with access to the games make?

4. How is NXGamer comparing the performance of similarly functioning APIs on both PS5 and XSX to conclude that Microsofts are worse? Which APIs are they, are they ones to get the location of an enemy? To calculate LOD? To calculate ray tracing? Which ones? What is the performance difference? How is this being measured? Can you confirm the APIs are doing the exact same things, and one isn't doing more behind the scenes than the other?

Simple, straight forward questions that are easy to answer and would put it to bed. You won’t get answers though, because then it puts the claims to bed as just rumour, bordering FUD.

So go on, ask him to answer those questions. Last post from me in here, threads on ignore now.

Again, we heard the same from DF as well. What do you think about this? 👇
Richard (DF) said:
...speaking to developers the development environment they are dealing with - some people seem to be extremely happy with it, other people are having problems with it because they've moved away from what was previously the XDK which was specific for the Xbox to the GDK
Regarding PS5:
Richard (DF) said:
Every single developer I've spoken to developing for PS5 has been evangelising how easy it is to work for, It's essentially the same development environment as PS4 and you scale up from there, for the new powers, the features, and whatnot. I can't stress enough how happy developers seem to be with this situation

Alex (DF) said:
Since Richard mentioned it here I will also throw out there that I have Heard the same as he in regard to ease of development on PS5.

...from rumour milling way back when, we knew PS5 dev Kits and environment were out there before XSX. I would not doubt that the PlayStation dev environment is more mature for the hw at this point than the XSX one MS has

Here's NX Gamer's first post on this thread:
This is not based on assumption, it is based on:

1. several developers telling me this with access to both machines
  2. The PS5 Devkits were out sooner AND have been easier to work on with higher support.
  3. The lack of real Next gen games on the machine and the recent downplaying by Phil on RT.
  4. Halo Infinite, I covered that in-depth and I was right as it was delayed AFTER I stated my view on it.
  5. The marketing is very full on, yet only old games are STILL being show bar a couple of x-gen 3rd party ones.
As yourself this, 2 weeks from launch a huge 1st Party Gears 5 Update is still only being teased and shown NOW. If I was MS I would be pushing that out at events, why not?

MS are not going to state this, but they have indirectly DX12U is late, the Velocity Architecture is a year out on PC AT LEAST. If you want to ignore it, that is fine. But I am only stating what I know, have been told and can clearly recognise in my many years of development and shipping products with all the bravado that has to accompany it.
So I want to ask you simple, straight forward questions. Why do you keep ignoring DF's words? Since they've heard the same thing from devs as NXG.

Why didn't you ask these 👇questions to DF as well when they made those statements above:
1. Does DF have access to either dev kit?

2. Does DF work in the video game industry in a way as a developer?

3. Does DF have next gen consoles to capture video directly
(yes, they do. Only XSX, not PS5. They'll have all 3 next-gen consoles very shortly, so will NXG)

Why are you in denial when both NXG and DF are saying what actual devs have told them?

Last edited:

RaySoft

I wonder has NXGamer seen what graphics APIs look like?

Modern graphics API like D3D12 and Vulkan (but exclude Apple's Metal) are typically an extremely light abstract layer on top of modern GPU. Not only do drivers directly implement each API function, but each function also directly mimics how low level commands are submitted to GPU and GPU native objects (e.g. descriptors) are directly managed.

The only difference between modern PC graphics API and console graphics API, from my experience, would be the abstraction over GPU memory, as console allows you to have no abstraction at all, but on PC you must accommodate different memory topology (e.g. UMA, NUMA with virtualized video memory, NUMA without virtualized video memory).

Really, modern graphics APIs, D3D12, Vulkan, Gnm (again excluding Metal) are more or less different flavour of the same thing, or different realizations of the same design philosophies. Most differences, like plain C functions vs Nano-COM interfaces, are superficial.
It's no secret that Direct X earned it's stigma for being quite bloated back in the days. Since then they have gone to great lengths to try and rectify that over the years. The PC world is a jungle of both legacy hardware and software, so I don't envy them that job. Regardless, if we were to talk about "light-weight" API's, Direct X would not even be on the list.
But in no way, shape or form, would that take away it's sheer importance as an API.

Herr Edgy

It's no secret that Direct X earned it's stigma for being quite bloated back in the days. Since then they have gone to great lengths to try and rectify that over the years. The PC world is a jungle of both legacy hardware and software, so I don't envy them that job. Regardless, if we were to talk about "light-weight" API's, Direct X would not even be on the list.
But in no way, shape or form, would that take away it's sheer importance as an API.
Pretty sure he means light-weight as in, there is not much in terms of performance overhead associated with any of the modern graphics API calls themselves.
Rather what you do with them is what determines performance, first and foremost, with which I'd agree.
Thread is kinda embarassing imo

There is more to devkits than graphics APIs. There is no sense in trying to talk about graphics APIs in terms of consoles, where one graphics API isn't even publically available, and the other has largely been known for years (DX12).
From "devs have said X is easier to develop for" the statement "its graphics API is nicer/better/easier to develop for" does NOT follow. There are countless libraries that make up a console.

Talking about a highly complex topic without the qualifications, knowledge or hardware just seems like a time waster of the highest order to me.
But then again this is what the gaming side of gaf has been for a while now

Last edited:

RaySoft

Pretty sure he means light-weight as in, there is not much in terms of performance overhead associated with any of the modern graphics API calls themselves.
Rather what you do with them is what determines performance, first and foremost, with which I'd agree.
Thread is kinda embarassing imo
Yes, as you said, the less cycles used, the better. My definition of "light-weight" translates to something that does the job with a minimal footprint. (heavily derived code are optimized as fu*k etc)

There is more to devkits than graphics APIs. There is no sense in trying to talk about graphics APIs in terms of consoles, where one graphics API isn't even publically available, and the other has largely been known for years (DX12).
From "devs have said X is easier to develop for" the statement "its graphics API is nicer/better/easier to develop for" does NOT follow. There are countless libraries that make up a console.
I have problems following your logic here. The video clearly states it's about (gfx) API's. Why do you feel the need to bring up differences in hardware or why some API's are public or not? Does the fact that it's public or not take away anything from it's performance?

Talking about a highly complex topic without the qualifications, knowledge or hardware just seems like a time waster of the highest order to me.
But then again this is what the gaming side of gaf has been for a while now
I'm not sure who you are talking about here, but NxGamer is the real deal. You don't need a PS5 or Series X devkit to have educated opinions on this stuff.
A programmer is a programmer, even though it's not in the gaming industry. A frenchman could fare quite well in Quebec for instance.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

Yes, as you said, the less cycles used, the better. My definition of "light-weight" translates to something that does the job with a minimal footprint. (heavily derived code are optimized as fu*k etc)

I have problems following your logic here. The video clearly states it's about (gfx) API's. Why do you feel the need to bring up differences in hardware or why some API's are public or not? Does the fact that it's public or not take away anything from it's performance?

I'm not sure who you are talking about here, but NxGamer is the real deal. You don't need a PS5 or Series X devkit to have educated opinions on this stuff.
A programmer is a programmer, even though it's not in the gaming industry. A frenchman could fare quite well in Quebec for instance.
The video states its about graphics APIs: the title states "how important are APIs", implying APIs = graphics APIs, and equating console development ("devs have stated X is easier to develop for") with graphics APIs, one of which you have no clue about without access to the real deal because Sony's graphics API is proprietary, whereas DX12 is not a "XBox special sauce" (hardware features and the new additional DX12U features are, but I'd wager that DX12U doesn't magically become a completely new API), therefore comparing it in terms of consoles seems asinine.

Also, it seems like you take things at face value. I'm a programmer too. I work in the industry. Middleware though. I have worked on programs using both OpenGL and Vulkan, did low level graphics programming on the PS Vita, used CUDA for texture compression (I think I already stated this in this thread). I have no fucking clue about that shit regardless. Do I doubt NXGamer has skills and knowledge? No, he obviously has. But you just can't grant a "title" and then just assume everything they are going to say is based on facts, and without bias, and that they are omniscient in the field. Devs are just people, not some overly scientifically accurate fact-checker. There are fanboys, there are people talking out of their ass, and especially ego based on some skills, which leads to extrapolating about topics they have no clue about.

What are you going to do now that you can bestow upon me the title of programmer? Now you have one programmer who says one thing and another who says another thing. Implode?

EDIT:
I should clarify, distributing factual information is a good thing, but when the information is used to portray things in a certain light to push a bias it becomes propaganda, and that's essentially what console gaf is all about with the release of a new consolen gen. Graphics APIs follow way different paradigms. with Vulkan being extremely verbose and configurable for example (it's a real pain just to set up the boilerplate code to get your first triangle to show up). How are you going to say one is "less advanced" than the other when those APIs are considered interfaces to talk to your GPU and the performance-critical step is not the API performance itself but what you do with it?

If you compare one game implementing multiple graphics APIs you can't just measure frames per second and call it a day. How do you know the feature set is the same everywhere? How do you know one of them wasn't prioritized in development? Maybe some user-introduced bug remains where gpu-cpu syncing is stalling for a bit more than necessary in one API but not another?

Last edited:

Md Ray

NXGamer NXGamer : How Important are APIs?

Very, very important. Isn't it MrFunSocks MrFunSocks ? ;)

p4H5sUd.jpg

Top Bottom