• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NxGamer: The PS5 teardown | What have we learnt about Next gen? | Let's Talk

Not a fan of the huge design, but the inside of the console looks good to me.
Very great looking piece of electronics, imo.

Will probably wait for a slim version, though, like I always do.

These would probably be more applicable if they weren’t from completely different discussions, but a rather desperate attempt to be trolling through my post history for unrelated comments...

You could actually argue Xbox are more confident though, they had shown and detailed how the console works more than 6 months in advance. They did a tear down, and not even just an official one, they let reviewers tear them apart and see the insides about 6 months ago.

Still, pretty shady to bring up stuff from completely different threads as if they are applicable here. I thought you meant in here, but you’re literally just trolling through my post history.

Jose92

[Membe
Havnt seen such ugly pcb sense the 90’s.
LOL i am an electronics design engineer and pcb design is one of the things i do daily, and i see no issue with the pcb. it just uses a more traditional coloured solder mask, usually grean coloured solder masks are cheaper in bulk as it is the most commonly used one.

Tripolygon

Banned
Havnt seen such ugly pcb sense the 90’s.
Blasphemy. Lol

That is a beautiful clean PCB. That's one thing Sony consoles have always had in common. Clean PCB layout.

Xbox One OG
EOPzAIHXkAAQBHt

PS4

Screen+Shot+2018-06-20+at+2.54.04+PM.png

One X - Microsoft clearly took inspiration from PS4 PCB layout

xbox7.png

PS5 very clean

uXKSKYg8N8kyNxvB.jpg

Series X has a good look split pcb as does Series S

Xbox 360 has the ugliest motherboard of all time in game consoles

motherboard.jpg

My favorite of all time PS2.

1280px-PS2-SCPH-30001-Motherboard.jpg

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
These would probably be more applicable if they weren’t from completely different discussions, but a rather desperate attempt to be trolling through my post history for unrelated comments...

You could actually argue Xbox are more confident though, they had shown and detailed how the console works more than 6 months in advance. They did a tear down, and not even just an official one, they let reviewers tear them apart and see the insides about 6 months ago.

Still, pretty shady to bring up stuff from completely different threads as if they are applicable here. I thought you meant in here, but you’re literally just trolling through my post history.
So a comment you made about Sony not being confident in PS5 is irrelevant to a comment you have made saying you have never said Sony was not confident in PS5 in two PS5 thread wherein you call Microsoft confident?

I have a terrible habit of remembering things. Lol. You are one of about 5 people who I distinctly remember for the last 4 weeks talk about Sony not being confident in PS5 because they didn't send PS5 units to youtubers and journalists.

I'm not really trolling but this would be considered trolling

Who was saying Sony aren’t confident in the PS5 though? I certainly wasn’t. You must be an absolute muppet of a human being to think Sony aren’t confident in their own console, they’ve went multiple generations selling over a hundred million units of each.

It just shows to me that Xbox are confident in their product and Sony aren't.

I'll wait until independant reviews are done before fully judging it but the lack of transparency is sad.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
So a comment you made about Sony not being confident in PS5 is irrelevant to a comment you have made saying you have never said Sony was not confident in PS5 in two PS5 thread wherein you call Microsoft confident?

I have a terrible habit of remembering things. Lol. You are one of about 5 people who I distinctly remember for the last 4 weeks talk about Sony not being confident in PS5 because they didn't send PS5 units to youtubers and journalists.

I'm not really trolling but this would be considered trolling

Do you need to take out a mortgage on him? Because you’ve clearly taken ownership.

Lysandros

Blasphemy. Lol

That is a beautiful clean PCB. That's one thing Sony consoles have always had in common. Clean PCB layout.

Xbox One OG
EOPzAIHXkAAQBHt

PS4

xbox7.png

PS5 very clean

uXKSKYg8N8kyNxvB.jpg

motherboard.jpg

That E.E looks like a beast... I agree PS2's is the prettiest.

geordiemp

Does that not use the IntelWiGig which is 4.6 to 7Gbps, which is lower than Wifi 6's 9.6Gbps.

Not taking into account the new compression technology within the PS5 SoC and likely the HMD accepting compressed formats and decom on the fly, it should be fine.

I liked your video.

I think the information we are really hanging on is how the caches are arranged on ps5, whether they have enlarged the L2, or even unified the CCX in the CPU cache or any other tricks that would indeed be leaks. The common L1 cache looks more to be towards deep learning apps wanting to share data between shader arrays, and maybe not apply so much to gaming, but I dont know for sure.

I dont believe for a second ps5 would go crazy like a nig Navi part with that leaked 128 MB or whatever crazy cache is rumoured, but it would be nice to know if sony went above the usual 4 MB of L2 and by how much (numerically or even just a bit, little or allot).

It is very likely with cache scrubbers, cache corehency, fast clocks and even a sony patent on optimising data transfer they would leave the caches untouched or unloved.

Any tidbits are always welcome.

El Sueño

I liked your video.

I think the information we are really hanging on is how the caches are arranged on ps5, whether they have enlarged the L2, or even unified the CCX in the CPU cache or any other tricks that would indeed be leaks. The common L1 cache looks more to be towards deep learning apps wanting to share data between shader arrays, and maybe not apply so much to gaming, but I dont know for sure.

I dont believe for a second ps5 would go crazy like a nig Navi part with that leaked 128 MB or whatever crazy cache is rumoured, but it would be nice to know if sony went above the usual 4 MB of L2 and by how much (numerically or even just a bit, little or allot).

It is very likely with cache scrubbers, cache corehency, fast clocks and even a sony patent on optimising data transfer they would leave the caches untouched or unloved.

Any tidbits are always welcome.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Blasphemy. Lol

Xbox One OG
EOPzAIHXkAAQBHt

PS4

xbox7.png

PS5 very clean

uXKSKYg8N8kyNxvB.jpg

motherboard.jpg

One of our head engineers at EA had the PS2 pcb at the entrance of his office and he would always talk about how important the PS2 was for him because of renderware. Those were the greatest times of my days in dev.

LordOfChaos

motherboard.jpg

I had a 360 and preferred it for that generation, but what really tells you about their care and craft for hardware design that generation (apart from the obvious RRoD) is the solution to that problem. Look at this heatsink. Rather than redesign it to be better and redo the tooling, they just kept the line running, but at the last step hacked off a part of it to add a heatpipe and smaller heatsink protruding out of it.

OG
s-l400.jpg

Solution
s-l640.jpg

Back then, I just thought, ok, the ones with the heat pipes are supposedly more reliable. But with time I realized what a hacky, not even half assed solution this was, most of the RRoD solution was really just waiting for die shrinks and getting the heat down rather than substantially change production.

Tripolygon

Banned
I had a 360 and preferred it for that generation, but what really tells you about their care and craft for hardware design that generation (apart from the obvious RRoD) is the solution to that problem. Look at this heatsink. Rather than redesign it to be better and redo the tooling, they just kept the line running, but at the last step hacked off a part of it to add a heatpipe and smaller heatsink protruding out of it.

Back then, I just thought, ok, the ones with the heat pipes are supposedly more reliable. But with time I realized what a hacky, not even half assed solution this was, most of the RRoD solution was really just waiting for die shrinks and getting the heat down rather than substantially change production.
Good eye. I never really caught that. Credit where credit is due, consoles have come a long way in terms of reliability and how well put together they are now compared to before.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

OG
s-l400.jpg

Solution
s-l640.jpg

That looks like a completely different design tbh.

LordOfChaos

That looks like a completely different design tbh.

The lighting is just different. I've been through both designs and still have the heatsinks, trust me, the base heatsink is the exact same but they cut out a portion, cut out a part of the cutout, put a heatpipe in there and paste it all back together.

Hellmaker

Does that not use the IntelWiGig which is 4.6 to 7Gbps, which is lower than Wifi 6's 9.6Gbps.

Not taking into account the new compression technology within the PS5 SoC and likely the HMD accepting compressed formats and decom on the fly, it should be fine.
My god I really really hope you are right! I'd love that😁

SirTerry-T

The design of the console isn't for me but each to their own, right?
Both consoles look to be terrific bits of engineering in a market space where power and the space needed to contain that power (and the heat) is getting more and more difficult to balance.
There is no need to downplay the sheer amount of time, effort and expertise of the people involved in bringing these machines to the market for us eager punters just because they are wearing the wrong "team colours".
The videogame industry is approaching it's maturing phase, it's about time some of us matured with it.

Just my opinion, mind.

Top Bottom