• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Attorney General says DraftKings and FanDuel are illegal gambling business

Status
Not open for further replies.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I'm not a gambler but it's a bit hypocritical to make these illegal yet run the state lotto with its shitty odds.

states are typically the only entities allowed to run lotteries.

so, no, its not hypocritical. its a carve out because the state itself is run by the people and the funds go towards state-funded things, not only profitability for a private company that can do whatever it wants with the money

jtb

Banned
states are typically the only entities allowed to run lotteries.

so, no, its not hypocritical. its a carve out because the state itself is run by the people and the funds go towards state-funded things, not only profitability for a private company that can do whatever it wants with the money

it is, however, exploitative and gross.

Any gambling site that is making enough profit to be able to afford so many commercials at basically every single commercial break of every single football game as well as during Sportscenter breaks is obviously not a place that is giving its consumers a high percentage chance to win anything.

In neither Daily Fantasy and Online Poker are you playing against the house, barring cases like the recent "insider" betting and Absolute Poker cheating scandals, which were more individual employees going rogue.

They make the same amount of money whether you win or lose. In general, it's best for them to keep things fair.

This should all be 100% legal, but I'm in the salty "if I can't have my online poker then you can't have your daily fantasy" camp. They're both pretty clearly games of skill.

There's easily more skill in Blackjack or Poker than DK / FD, unless you're considering the lifers who spend hours daily running heuristics to edge out a winning %.

ColdPizza

Banned
There's easily more skill in Blackjack or Poker than DK / FD, unless you're considering the lifers who spend hours daily running heuristics to edge out a winning %.

A local dude won a few weeks ago on Fan Duel the million dollar challenge and said he set his lineup 15 minutes before kickoff. His thought process was pretty straight forward. Just look for good matchups on players you don't think other people will use.

Man I really thought Schneiderman would have been Spitzer'd by this point.
His staff is amazing. A lot of the people who work for him are the best of the best of the labor and progressive movement.

I'd go so far as to say he's probably one of the most effective progressives in the country.

Ogodei

Don't like people losing their jobs, but man those ads were everywhere, to the point of irritation.

Agree. Though the people who will get hurt by this are mostly net engineers (who will likely land on their feet) and golden-parachute execs.

border

This should all be 100% legal, but I'm in the salty "if I can't have my online poker then you can't have your daily fantasy" camp. They're both pretty clearly games of skill.

How is a daily fantasy sports league a game of skill? You pick favorites, and then you sit around waiting to see if you win. At no point can you outplay an opponent as you would in a poker match.

As far as I can tell it's no different than betting on a horse race....or betting directly on the outcome of any sports event.

border

"These long term fantasy leagues are for losers! I want to lose 16 times a year, not just once!" -- Dave Lang on the Bombcast this week

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I can't believe the NY Attorney General doesn't realize what amazing things these things are because if he did, he'd never go after them.

Doesn't he know that there are no long term season commitments? You can set your lineup EVERY SINGLE WEEK! And you can buy in for as low as $1! And there are literally millions of dollars in prizes being given out!

Plus if you act now, they'll match you up to $300 bonus cash when you use promo code: GIVEUSMONEY

Seriously though, I had enough when I saw an advertisement for either fanduel or draftkings (can't remember, they run together) on a gas station pump television. I felt like some kind of line was crossed there.

Kozak

Banned
How is a daily fantasy sports league a game of skill? You pick favorites, and then you sit around waiting to see if you win. At no point can you outplay an opponent as you would in a poker match.

As far as I can tell it's no different than betting on a horse race....or betting directly on the outcome of any sports event.

Ehh what haha

Fantasy Sports Leagues are dominated by skilled players. There is more bum hunting (stalking and playing only low skill players) in fantasy sports than poker imo.

A lot of well known poker players have actually transitioned over to fantasy leagues as they found that a lot of their skill set crossed over.

Mortemis

Banned
Welcome to the club NY. Now get ready for the ads to get even more annoying, with every time it showing up someone has to jump in and say it's illegal here.

God I wish the ads would just disappear.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
And yet Fantasy Football is completely legal.

Have you ever played Fantasy Football? The standard season long setup don't consist of betting pools. You have to do that outside of the system. Standard fantasy is about having fun with a group of friends or coworkers. There's usually an entry fee (up to the league manager, not a part of the system), but that's to cover things like the 'superbowl' party and prizes at the end of the season. Sure, there can be a cash prize but that's not facilitated by ESPN or NFL.com.

The whole reason for daily and weekly fantasy football is to win money though.

I'm not a gambler but it's a bit hypocritical to make these illegal yet run the state lotto with its shitty odds.

What a farce

There is a pretty big difference between a government raising funds through a lotto and massively funded for-profit organizations creating a gambling service that they refuse to even say is gambling.

You can be for or against either case but I don't think there is any way you can cry hypocrisy.

I can't believe the NY Attorney General doesn't realize what amazing things these things are because if he did, he'd never go after them.

Doesn't he know that there are no long term season commitments? You can set your lineup EVERY SINGLE WEEK! And you can buy in for as low as $1! And there are literally millions of dollars in prizes being given out!

Plus if you act now, they'll match you up to $300 bonus cash when you use promo code: GIVEUSMONEY.

You forgot to add in the "DAMN!"

I didn't use to mind them, but they can burn in hell now because of those fucking commercials. I hope every state declares them illegal.

squall211

Don't like people losing their jobs, but man those ads were everywhere, to the point of irritation.

You literally can't watch a commercial break during a baseball or football game without seeing a commercial for one of these sites. Irritating doesn't even begin to describe it lol.

Purexed

Banned
Promo Code: We're Fucked.

I can't stand these guys based on their obnoxious level of ads. Just a matter of time before the gravy train is over.

Hmmm, I always felt personally they were gambling sites. I'm sure in time they will make sports gambling legal but man, I just cannot stand these sites because of their obnoxious advertising.

UFO

Banned
Man fuck NY. I wanted to castrate someone when they took online poker away from me. FUCKING CASTRATE.

And why are people so salty over the commercials? We know the "1 million dollars given away every week" is bogus. Don't make gambling any less fun.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
If I can't have my online poker back, then this stuff deserves to be gone too.

Exactly this.

Online Poker has already started leaking back into the US.

Regulated and restricted to the US but its there I suppose...

It's on a state-by-state basis, and restricted to within that state only. And right now the only states where it has been made legal is NJ and NV. Well and Delaware I believe, but I don't think anyone is actually operating there because the playerbase would be too small. California will supposedly try to get something passed within the next year or two also.

The feds need to just make online poker legal and regulated so players can at least play across state lines.

Man fuck NY. I wanted to castrate someone when they took online poker away from me. FUCKING CASTRATE.

And why are people so salty over the commercials? We know the "1 million dollars given away every week" is bogus. Don't make gambling any less fun.
I mostly hate it for the "this is not a gambling website" disclaimer. I love gambling but I'm not an idiot.

border

Ehh what haha

Fantasy Sports Leagues are dominated by skilled players. There is more bum hunting (stalking and playing only low skill players) in fantasy sports than poker imo.

A lot of well known poker players have actually transitioned over to fantasy leagues as they found that a lot of their skill set crossed over.

Maybe I don't know enough about it then. My impression was that you're always in a league, competing against dozens or perhaps hundreds of other people and the top xx% of players get some kind of payout. I didn't think that it was ever a situation of a single player versus another single player. Even then I'm not sure if you can call it a "skill game." If two people bet on their ability to predict the outcome of 20 horse races, would betting on horses become a skill game? It's weird to me if you simply add another meta-layer to your gambling wagers that suddenly makes it a game of skill.

It's been a while since I kept up with the poker scene, but have any notable poker stars become fantasy champions?

VoxPop

Yeah it's gambling but it was amazing. I don't understand how this hurts anybody by being around except the degenerates who ruin it for everyone else. Had a monster week and luckily they let me cash out with zero issues except filing a tax form. Luckily I'm moving to LA soon so I hope they don't bring it down there either. I wonder if I could still play if I changed all my account info to my cousin's NJ address?

There is some skill involved in fan duel, at least for the nfl betting. The more you know about the teams and players, the better you will do. It's very possible to make some amount of money every week.

If your know which teams favor running vs passing, which teams have strong defense/offense, which teams have injuries and in which positions, which RBs and WRs are favored by which QBs, you can make very smart money making bets.

HariKari

The commercials are annoying, true, but I have much more of an issue with the leagues signing promotional deals with these sites and in some cases having ownership stakes in them. Kind of disgusting.

Striek

There is some skill involved in fan duel, at least for the nfl betting. The more you know about the teams and players, the better you will do. It's very possible to make some amount of money every week.

If your know which teams favor running vs passing, which teams have strong defense/offense, which teams have injuries and in which positions, which RBs and WRs are favored by which QBs, you can make very smart money making bets.
Sounds like you should be a millionaire fantasy football bettor soon. Congrats!

squall211

I'm not salty over the commercials. I'm salty over seeing the same damn commercial 30+ times during one game.

kmag

Always amuses me how uptight the US is about sports gambling (with justification to be fair), yet it's economy is completely and fundamentally based on the biggest gambling market in history.

Making bets on the performance football players seems to be little different than making bets on the performance of companies via stock ownership. You could argue that your stock has an intrinsic value at the point of purchase that a buy in to a fantasy league does not have, but fundamentally both Daily Fantasy Leagues and the Stock Market are gambles on future performance.

dity

I still don't understand at all how fantasy sports works or how you can even bet on it it's all very confusing- could I have been a millionaire already, did I miss out?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
We all know what this is. The right people are not getting paid.

Same issue as online poker really.

If anything, if there ends up being a nation-wide push to federally regulate daily fantasy sports so it's legal (doing it on a state-by-state basis would be a nightmare - look how well regulated online poker is doing now in the few states that have legalized it and the handful of others trying to move forward with their own initiatives), I can't see how they don't also incorporate poker. How one is considered a game of skill and not the other always baffled me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom