• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times: Has Obamacare Turned Voters Against Sharing the Wealth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgtl_10

I find this trend strange and disturbing:

With the advent of the Affordable Care Act, the share of Americans convinced that health care is a right shrank from a majority to a minority.

This shift in public opinion is a major victory for the Republican Party. It is part of a larger trend: a steady decline in support for redistributive government policies. Emmanuel Saez, an economics professor at Berkeley and one of the nation’s premier experts on inequality, is a co-author of a study that confirms this trend, which has been developing over the last four decades. A separate study, “The Structure of Inequality and Americans’ Attitudes Toward Redistribution,” found that as inequality increases, so does ideological conservatism in the electorate.

The erosion of the belief in health care as a government-protected right is perhaps the most dramatic reflection of these trends. In 2006, by a margin of more than two to one, 69-28, those surveyed by Gallup said that the federal government should guarantee health care coverage for all citizens of the United States. By late 2014, however, Gallup found that this percentage had fallen 24 points to 45 percent, while the percentage of respondents who said health care is not a federal responsibility nearly doubled to 52 percent.

Robert Blendon, a professor of health policy and political analysis at Harvard’s School of Public Health, wrote in an email that the character of the debate over health care began to change during the 2008 campaign. Before that, according to Blendon, the major issue was the moral principle of providing care for the poor. In the context of the presidential campaign, however, the public focus shifted:

Critics started raising concerns about the cost of these plans — higher taxes and premiums for those with coverage, more government interference in physician choices, and of course the potential of abortion coverage. People with coverage [83.7 percent of the population in 2010] became concerned about the implications for middle income people with these universal plans.

The altered public mood is especially relevant because the Supreme Court is expected to issue a ruling later this year in King v. Burwell, a case that challenges the legality of the Affordable Care Act.

If the court rules against the A.C.A., public and private health care delivery would be disrupted, to put it mildly. Congressional Republicans are already working on replacement proposals that would, among other things, limit coverage for the poor.

The liberal Urban Institute has analyzed the potential consequences of a court ruling against the Affordable Care Act: the number of uninsured people in the 34 states that have chosen not to open their own exchanges would, according to the institute, increase by 8.2 million; $28.8 billion in tax credits and other benefits would be eliminated for 9.3 million people in 2016 alone; and “the number of people obtaining insurance through the private non-group markets in these states would fall by 69 percent, from 14.2 million to 4.5 million,” as a relatively healthy, younger population loses federal subsidies and drops insurance coverage.
Continue reading the main story

With the loss of healthier customers, insurance companies would be forced to raise premiums for their remaining clientele by 35 percent, from an annual average of $4,130 to $5,590, according to the institute’s study.

As Republicans put together legislative alternatives to address the health care crisis that could result from a Supreme Court ruling against Obamacare, they are looking to public opinion surveys to determine the range of options that would have public support.

Some of those options – both those supported by the public, and those that are off limits – are reflected in responses to a December 2014 Kaiser Family Foundation poll, one of the most recent surveys asking for opinions on specific provisions of the A.C.A.

The Kaiser survey found strong opposition, 64-35, to the individual mandate requiring that everyone purchase health coverage. In contrast, a majority of respondents, 60-38, supported the employer mandate that requires companies with 100 or more workers to provide health insurance.

An earlier New York Times poll, conducted in December 2013, found that 52 percent of those surveyed believed that the Affordable Care Act would increase their medical costs; 14 percent said it would reduce costs. Thirty-six percent believed that Obamacare would worsen the quality of health care compared to 17 percent who thought it would improve it.

On the plus side for the Affordable Care Act, those surveyed by the Times decisively supported, 86-10, the requirement that insurance companies cover people with pre-existing conditions; the requirement to cover children in parents’ plans up to age 26 was supported 70-28; and 76 percent supported providing some help to poor workers who do not have employer-based coverage.

Larry Levitt, senior vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation, answering my email, wrote that the tax credits in the Republican plans “tend to be quite a bit less generous” than under Obamacare, and that “low-income people, in particular, were likely to end up with very skimpy insurance” and fewer low-income people would be covered under the program.

The conservative shift in public attitudes on health care and on issues of redistribution and inequality pose a significant threat to the larger liberal agenda.

The 2013 paper published in Public Opinion Quarterly that I mentioned at the beginning of this article, “The Structure of Inequality and Americans’ Attitudes Toward Redistribution,” suggests that Democratic programs providing tax-financed benefits to the poor are facing growing hostility.

The author of the paper, Matthew Luttig, a Ph.D. candidate in political science at the University of Minnesota, found that while “numerous political theorists suggest that rising inequality and the shift in the distribution of income to those at the top should lead to increasing support for liberal policies,” in practice, “rising inequality in the United States has largely promoted ideological conservatism.”

Luttig compares public attitudes with inequality trends and reports that his data show that:

Both the absolute level and the changing structure of inequality have largely been a force promoting conservatism, not increasing support for redistribution as theoretically expected.

I asked two experts, Jacob Hacker, a political scientist at Yale, and Robert Frank, an economist at Cornell, if Luttig’s conclusions are consistent with their own research, and both said he is on target. Luttig’s conclusions run counter to the view of liberals like Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, who is calling on her fellow Democrats to make tackling inequality a top priority. Heather McGhee, for example, the president of Demos (motto: “an equal say in our democracy and an equal chance in our economy”), argues that inequality should be “the defining issue of the American political debate this campaign cycle.”

Insofar as Luttig is right, his findings pose a serious dilemma for Democrats and for their likely nominee, Hillary Clinton. A party that claims to pursue policies benefiting those on the bottom half of the income ladder inevitably faces questions about the issue of redistribution.

Divisions within the Democratic Party run deep and are not limited to health care. There are splits on matters as diverse as the carried interest tax break, a capital-gains tax break which is a bottom line matter for major Wall Street Democratic donors, and the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement, a test of strength between multinational corporations who favor it, and organized labor, which is opposed.

In her announcement video on April 12, Clinton chose to emphasize cultural themes of family, same-sex marriage, education and women’s rights – taking the spotlight off income inequality. She avoided the issue of explicitly redistributive goals and focused instead on “roadblocks” facing workers trying to climb the ladder.

But this kind of evasiveness can’t last. Neither core Democratic constituencies on the left nor Republicans on the right will permit Clinton to remain guarded on these divisive issues. If conservative beliefs are strengthening in direct proportion to increasing inequality, however, Democrats are caught in a policy bind that has no short-term solution.

“The General Social Survey shows there has been a slight decrease in stated support for redistribution in the US since the 1970s, even among those who self-identify as having below-average income,” according to Saez and his three co-authors, Ilyana Kuziemko, a professor at Columbia Business School, Michael I. Norton, a professor at Harvard Business School, and Stefanie Stantcheva, a junior fellow at Harvard.

Even worse for Democrats, the Saez paper found that “information about inequality also makes respondents trust government less,” decreasing “by nearly twenty percent the share of respondents who ‘trust government’ most of the time:”

Hence, emphasizing the severity of a social or economic problem appears to undercut respondents’ willingness to trust the government to fix it — the existence of the problem could act as evidence of the government’s limited capacity to improve outcomes.

The findings of the Saez group are consistent with Luttig’s. Taken together, they suggest that even if Democrats win the presidency and the Senate in 2016, largely on the basis of favorable demographic trends, the party will confront serious hurdles if it attempts to deliver material support to working men and women and the very poor. Redistribution is in trouble, and that is likely to tie American politics in knots for many years to come.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/15/opinion/has-obamacare-turned-voters-against-sharing-the-wealth.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=c-column-top-span-region&region=c-column-top-span-region&WT.nav=c-column-top-span-region

Four decades of Cold War "Bootstraps!" mentality have convinced people to blame themselves for being poor. I feel Americans need to live outside the country and experience other cultures. I think they will be surprised at what they find. Too many Americans rarely venture outside the bubble that is USA.

BigDug13

I think maybe propaganda machines like Fox News are becoming more and more successful at convincing people that wealth inequality is because of big government messing things up.

lzi_gpd6puu6buc0blijhq.0.png

Plaster that fucking everywhere

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Makes absolutely zero sense.

Republicans have screwed over this country for the forseeable future.

I find this trend strange and disturbing:

Four decades of Cold War "Bootstraps!" mentality have convinced people to blame themselves for being poor. I feel Americans need to live outside the country and experience other cultures. I think they will be surprised at what they find. Too many Americans rarely venture outside the bubble that is USA.

To bits I bolded - I totally agree, traveling is the best form of education.

pgtl_10

I also think race has a major play in this. I feel a lot of people believe universal healthcare means minorities will get health insurance and they don't want minorities to have things. I think bigotry has a lot to do with what people are willing to give.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I work with dudes who un-ironically use phrases like "giving obamacare to the illegals" so this does not surprise me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can see that - someone somewhere is pissed off that an ethnicity they don't like is benefiting from their tax dollars

Which is ironic because before Obamacare, their tax dollars were already paying for their medical care.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
If I had to guess a lot of that probably comes from those of us who were insured prior to Obamacare. I had much better insurance at a lower price prior to Obamacare. At least where I work health savings accounts with very high deductibles seem to have become the norm.

mackattk

To bits I bolded - I totally agree, traveling is the best form of education.

Its tough when most people can't afford it. Sadly, if it wasn't for this website I probably wouldn't really know how other countries operate, especially with things like health care.

I also think race has a major play in this. I feel a lot of people believe universal healthcare means minorities will get health insurance and they don't want minorities to have things. I think bigotry has a lot to do with what people are willing to give.

I work with dudes who un-ironically use phrases like "giving obamacare to the illegals" so this does not surprise me.

I can see that - someone somewhere is pissed off that an ethnicity they don't like is benefiting from their tax dollars

Agreed with all of this. It's likely not the only factor, but it's a far larger factor than most people would care to admit.

Which is ironic because before Obamacare, their tax dollars were already paying for their medical care.

Lol. Wow. That I didn't know.

Its tough when most people can't afford it. Sadly, if it wasn't for this website I probably wouldn't really know how other countries operate, especially with things like health care.

Come to Montreal ;) closest thing to a European city you can find in north America.

I can't believe some Americans rather be ripped of by corporations when it comes to their health than have Healthcare handled/supported by the Government.

I guess they really have a "As long as I am alright" attitude to people who earn considerably less.

I think maybe propaganda machines like Fox News are becoming more and more successful at convincing people that wealth inequality is because of big government messing things up.
They don't have to do that. They have convinced people that wealth inequality is good, no matter where you are on the wealth spectrum.

Fuck you I got mine!

I feel Americans need to live outside the country and experience other cultures. I think they will be surprised at what they find. Too many Americans rarely venture outside the bubble that is USA.

Does serving in the military count? Seriously, it totally depends on the situation. There are plenty of conservatives who have traveled the world and still denounce progressive ideas.

Averon

They don't have to do that. They have convinced people that wealth inequality is good, no matter where you are on the wealth spectrum.

Also that poor and low income people are in the state they are in because they are lazy bums that want to use your tax money to "live it large" on food stamps and Medicaid.

Link

The Autumn Wind
If I had to guess a lot of that probably comes from those of us who were insured prior to Obamacare. I had much better insurance at a lower price prior to Obamacare. At least where I work health savings accounts with very high deductibles seem to have become the norm.
This has nothing to do with Obamacare and more to do with your employer deciding to switch to shittier insurance coverage and putting in less on their end.

CrazyDude

Also that poor and low income people are in the state they are in because they are lazy bums that want to use your tax money to "live it large" on food stamps and Medicaid.

I always love this argument, because I always wonder why they don't go on food stamps and medicaid if it was so great.

andycapps

The sooner we're on the same healthcare the better, IMO. The only thing I dislike is that this year they started including healthcare contributions in my taxes. The funny thing is that that's only for "Cadillac" plans. I guess a plan with a $2500 deductible is a Cadillac plan?

You'll have that when one of the two parties spends that much time and effort in misinforming and misleading the public, and one of their propaganda arms is the most watched 24 hour news channel.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
lzi_gpd6puu6buc0blijhq.0.png

Plaster that fucking everywhere
Not a fan of that graph. Factually it is correct, but because the scale is from 10-20, it looks very misleading at a glance. We know the % uninsured from Q3ish 2013 to Q1 2015 dropped 6% overall, which is a 33% drop from 18%. At a glance, it looks like the % uninsured dropped from the 80th percentile to the 20th percentile, or a 75% drop.

It's the same issue I have with Fox News's laughable graphs:
NcZ4SSY.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
Not a fan of that graph. Factually it is correct, but because the scale is from 10-20, it looks very misleading at a glance. We know the % uninsured from Q3ish 2013 to Q1 2015 dropped 6% overall, which is a 33% drop from 18%. At a glance, it looks like the % uninsured dropped from the 80th percentile to the 20th percentile, or a 75% drop.

It's the same issue I have with Fox News's laughable graphs:
NcZ4SSY.jpg
This ones my favorite:

fnc-an-20111212-markedchart.jpg

Timeaisis

Interesting. Liberals are questioning why people are abandoning the idea of wealth redistribution?

I have a theory. It's pretty simple. In theory, many people are for wealth redistribution. It sounds great on paper, and it's something liberal politicians can easily pander with. Promise people a more even playing field and it sounds great. Even the middle class agrees. Everyone deserves a chance, right?

Then, we get to the point of implementation. Notice that the moment Obamacare started getting put into law the people the opinion shifted. Why? My theory is that people started seeing the real world implications of Obamacare and, to another extent, wealth redistribution as a whole. They realize that the money has to come from somewhere -- and it's out of their own pockets.

Essentially, ask a random dude if he's for wealth redistribution to level the playing field, and there's a decent chance he'd say yes. Ask him if he's willing to take a pay cut to give to the poor, and he'd say no. It's the same principle.

The people that were "for" wealth redistribution and Obamacare were for it when they're tax dollars weren't on the line for it.

This has nothing to do with Obamacare and more to do with your employer deciding to switch to shittier insurance coverage and putting in less on their end.
Actually, no. Many of the insurers were forced to change policy to comply with the ACA's new guidelines.

The sad part? The largest benefactors of those changes were the insurers.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Interesting. Liberals are questioning why people are abandoning the idea of wealth redistribution?

I have a theory. It's pretty simple. In theory, many people are for wealth redistribution. It sounds great on paper, and it's something liberal politicians can easily pander with. Promise people a more even playing field and it sounds great. Even the middle class agrees. Everyone deserves a chance, right?

Then, we get to the point of implementation. Notice that the moment Obamacare started getting put into law the people the opinion shifted. Why? My theory is that people started seeing the real world implications of Obamacare and, to another extent, wealth redistribution as a whole. They realize that the money has to come from somewhere -- and it's out of their own pockets.

Essentially, ask a random dude if he's for wealth redistribution to level the playing field, and there's a decent chance he'd say yes. Ask him if he's willing to take a pay cut to give to the poor, and he'd say no. It's the same principle.

The people that were "for" wealth redistribution and Obamacare were for it when they're tax dollars weren't on the line for it.
Sorry, but this is bullshit and nothing but spin. You act like the old method of insurance coverage in this country wasn't already wealth distribution. We're moving in the right direction on this, despite critics desperately trying to convince people otherwise. Maybe if we had a 24-hour "news" source demonizing the wealthy all the time, we could stop all the corporate welfare and handouts we all pay for too.

In regards to the point that between 2006-2014, the majority of Americans who thought it should be a right dropped to a minority:

Doesn't this also potentially show that many Republicans who originally thought it might be okay or even correct that everyone was given health insurance have dug in their heels for political purity? It has been drummed over and over for the last several years that Obamacare is bad and is going to ruin the country. I don't doubt that there are people that it didn't bother in 2006, that now think it is going to upend society as we know it.

This is basically what I was going to post. People are for a lot of things until you actually move for implementation that has detrimental effects on their own lives.

bill0527

I feel Americans need to live outside the country and experience other cultures. I think they will be surprised at what they find. Too many Americans rarely venture outside the bubble that is USA.

I'd love to live outside the country and experience another culture.

Just paypal $8000 USD to me and I'll start packing.

Honestly though...I get what you're saying, but telling Americans to move somewhere else for a little while isn't a realistic solution.

One of the biggest problems with Obamacare is that it doesn't really help a lot of middle class people. It's mainly targeted at the poor and working class - two groups that aren't reliable voters. Meanwhile middle class voters who have jobs haven't seen any change in their insurance, outside of healthcare costs going up. In most cases that has nothing to do with Obamacare but those people assume the law is raising their costs.

I'm not convinced the law will be popular amongst a majority of people anytime soon. And congress' historic obstruction/inaction ensures it won't be improved anytime soon. That strikes me as a major benefit for republicans, if they'd move away from the "full repeal" position (which most people don't support) and instead start talking about fixing the law. Obviously they wouldn't "fix" it, they'd probably make it worse, but I definitely think they could convince voters otherwise (initially).

And this is why, even as an American citizen, I doubt I will ever live there again (Canadian citizen too)

When the ppl in there 20's and 30's start hitting past 40 and the health issues start to arise, the opinions will change quite drastically. Until then it's the waiting game with Fox News keep people pre-occupied.

Chalk it up to another failure of the democrats not knowing how to use the media to keep their own damn achievements relevant against simple minded propaganda.

atr0cious

This is basically what I was going to post. People are for a lot of things until you actually move for implementation that has detrimental effects on their own lives.

What's detrimental? I wouldn't have gotten treated for getting hit by a car if Obamacare didn't go into effect when it did. Shit, even the person who hit me said, "Hopefully Obama will help you," when she found out I didn't have insurance.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I hear people blaming Obamacare all day for things not related to Obamacare. It was demonized before it even took affect.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

What the fuck? What do people think private insurance is? It's wealth redistribution, "voluntary", except not voluntary because everyone needs health care. Main difference is with private insurance companies the intermediary takes a huge chunk of it for profit. The real world implications, as you put it, of the for-profit health insurance industry is massive inefficiency and waste of money compared to countries that have UHC and single-payer insurance.

Like the other poster above said I couldn't give less of a shit what any "random dude" thinks about Obamacare, or even the ACA for that matter (
hurr hurrr
). The amount of ignorance surrounding the ACA, mostly due to right-wing spin and lies, is astounding. If you're going to go around and ask random dudes what they think about the ACA the responses you'd get would be more suited to a Jimmy Kimmel bit than anything else.

Personally, I believe healthcare to be a personal issue. Every individual should be responsible to provide for its own healthcare. Should he/she fail to do so, then the Government should step in a provide some sort of coverage.

If current level of taxation is not sufficient, then they should cut the fat, which includes the military by the way. A subset of the population shouldn't be overtaxed to provide benefits that will never give them any benefits whatsoever.

What's detrimental? I wouldn't have gotten treated for getting hit by a car if Obamacare didn't go into effect when it did. Shit, even the person who hit me said, "Hopefully Obama will help you," when she found out I didn't have insurance.

You would have to ask someone that was polled for this, I was not. My point was that ideas are easy to get behind until it comes time to pay the piper, be it something like this, or a professional sports team stadium or a highway project, or really anything on a large scale.

Personally, I believe healthcare to be a personal issue. Every individual should be responsible to provide for its own healthcare. Should he/she fail to do so, then the Government should step in a provide some sort of coverage.

If current level of taxation is not sufficient, then they should cut the fat, which includes the military by the way. A subset of the population shouldn't be overtaxed to provide benefits that will never give them any benefits whatsoever.

All fine and good until you're the person on the shit end of the "get fucked, I got mine" treatment.

pgtl_10

Does serving in the military count? Seriously, it totally depends on the situation. There are plenty of conservatives who have traveled the world and still denounce progressive ideas.

I can't answer that question because I guess it depends on how integrated soldiers are with the surrounding culture. I've met a soldier studying Arabic in Palestine so he can be a translator. I would argue that he is more integrated than someone who stays on base and lives in military provided housing. At least at first glance.

Also traveling the world is not the same as living in an another country. It may not change a lot of people's views but it might open up Americans to new ideas.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
One of the biggest problems with Obamacare is that it doesn't really help a lot of middle class people. It's mainly targeted at the poor and working class - two groups that aren't reliable voters. Meanwhile middle class voters who have jobs haven't seen any change in their insurance, outside of healthcare costs going up. In most cases that has nothing to do with Obamacare but those people assume the law is raising their costs.

Well, being middle class and speaking for my experience only, the plan I used to have was no longer valid under the requirements of Obamacare, so my insurance provider had to cancel it and create a replacement plan. Which ended up being more expensive.

rambis

Banned
Maybe because in 2006 there wasn't this huge push for healthcare reform and it wasn't a contentious political issue.

esms

This is a big reason. My parents got hit hard and they're middle class. When my GF and I live together, as a household, we'll be middle class.

Perception of this law, to me, seems that the middle class is bearing the brunt of the weight in terms of subsidizing the poor and working classes, whereas the rich and super-rich aren't putting enough in for their pay grade.

I'm sure most of this is wrong factually, but this is what I'm going off of anecdotally and might be an explanation for why these poll results are the way they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom