• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times: Has Obamacare Turned Voters Against Sharing the Wealth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgtl_10

You would have to ask someone that was polled for this, I was not. My point was that ideas are easy to get behind until it comes time to pay the piper, be it something like this, or a professional sports team stadium or a highway project, or really anything on a large scale.

Actually, a lot of people will pay extra money for a sports stadium but cry like babies for health insurance.

atr0cious

You would have to ask someone that was polled for this, I was not. My point was that ideas are easy to get behind until it comes time to pay the piper, be it something like this, or a professional sports team stadium or a highway project, or really anything on a large scale.

What piper? What does a stadium or highway project have in common with the right to have healthcare? And why do you keep saying that something negative is coming from this, when Obamacare has done almost nothing but help? Where is your proof or source, back up your arguments, don't use wishy-washy "opinion" based non-statements.

geardo

When someone comes into the ER without insurance, the hospital gets reimbursed from the government for the cost of care -- which is taken from everyone else's tax dollars.

Also, this is just about the most expensive way to treat someone. During the previous election, Mitt Romney actually tried to use this as an example of how great the pre-obamacare healthcare system was, lol.

atr0cious

Also, this is just about the most expensive way to treat someone. During the previous election, Mitt Romney actually tried to use this as an example of how great the pre-obamacare healthcare system was, lol.

The infrastructure platform is a bitch to support.

Actually, a lot of people will pay extra money for a sports stadium but cry like babies for health insurance.

That is true, I was using that as in a series of examples that people are going to feel differently about. And considering the back,ash against public funding for stadiums in a number of communities, I think we're trendnig away from that being popular as well.

Konka

Banned
Social programs need to be for the entire population, not just a subset. It's the difference between Medicare and Medicaid. People see Medicare as a system that everyone pays into and everyone can reap the rewards of when they reach the right age. They see Medicaid as a system that they will probably never benefit from and only goes to the poor and disabled.

To get a popular program it needs to be extended to all of society. Medicaid expansion to ever member of the country with private insurance companies relegated to supplemental plans. If everyone sees the benefit from it then it will be more popular.

tokkun

lzi_gpd6puu6buc0blijhq.0.png

Plaster that fucking everywhere

How much of this effect is due to changes in unemployment?

geardo

To get a popular program it needs to be extended to all of society. Medicaid expansion to ever member of the country with private insurance companies relegated to supplemental plans. If everyone sees the benefit from it then it will be more popular.

Unfortunately the democrats, keeping true to their weak and middling nature, squandered their chance to do something like this. So now we're stuck with a slightly better, but still kind of broken healthcare system, that will limp along until the next major push for reform. Whenever that happens is anyone's guess.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Well, being middle class and speaking for my experience only, the plan I used to have was no longer valid under the requirements of Obamacare, so my insurance provider had to cancel it and create a replacement plan. Which ended up being more expensive.

How stripped was your original insurance that it "didn't qualify"?
The insurance required by law is already barebones at a minimum.

Konka

Banned
Unfortunately the democrats, keeping true to their weak and middling nature, squandered their chance to do something like this. So now we're stuck with a slightly better, but still kind of broken healthcare system, that will limp along until the next major push for reform. Whenever that happens is anyone's guess.

They had to contend with political realities that weren't in their favor for getting such a massive overhaul passed. The only way they were able to get the PPACA passed was by catering to the insurance companies and the status quo players. What they did end up passing, while far from ideal, is still lightyears ahead of where we were beforehand. It would have been even better had the Supreme Court not neutered the medicaid expansion, but I have hopes that more states will expand as they see the benefits.

People don't understand that the guarantees of care and financial stability they are getting with PPACA plans is so much more than what was ever insured before. It's easy to feel like you aren't getting your money's worth if you are paying more now, but that view would quickly change if something tragic happens and you need to spend a year in a hospital.

Not a fan of that graph. Factually it is correct, but because the scale is from 10-20, it looks very misleading at a glance. We know the % uninsured from Q3ish 2013 to Q1 2015 dropped 6% overall, which is a 33% drop from 18%. At a glance, it looks like the % uninsured dropped from the 80th percentile to the 20th percentile, or a 75% drop.

It's the same issue I have with Fox News's laughable graphs:
NcZ4SSY.jpg

a 10-20% scale is appropriate for a trend that has only changed about 6 points over 6 years. Its the same with other metrics like unemployment, you would never use a 0-100% scale for that. It would actually make the graph unreadable. Your fox exmaple is absurd because they obviously scaled it that way to make a bigger impression. You don't even need a bar graph to compare two points of data.

What piper? What does a stadium or highway project have in common with the right to have healthcare? And why do you keep saying that something negative is coming from this, when Obamacare has done almost nothing but help? Where is your proof or source, back up your arguments, don't use wishy-washy "opinion" based non-statements.

point one- it was a set of examples of government projects and programs that may sound good in theory but not so good when it comes time to figure out who bears the costs and how.

Point two, this is a comparison of opinion polls, assuming that both were properly conducted polls and similar questions, apparently a fair portion of the population has changed their position over the past 9 years on the issue, hence this article. I think it's fair to say that they've done so because they no longer view it in their best interests. Perhaps that is because the responders in 2006 didn't properly think through the questions and have more information in 2015, perhaps it is because they have more disinformation, maybe the polls have clues to that answer. Considering this is a comparison of opinion polls, whether or not something is true, untrue, or even measurable in the first place is largely irrelevant.

tokkun

Not much at all.

What's your basis for that claim? In a country where the majority of people get their health insurance through their employer, shouldn't a significant decline in unemployment also correlated with a significant decline in the uninsured?

Konka

Banned
What's your basis for that claim? In a country where the majority of people get their health insurance through their employer, shouldn't a significant decline in unemployment also correlated with a significant decline in the uninsured?

8 million enrolled in the Marketplaces during 2014 open enrollment (Oct 2013 to April 2014).

11.7 million are estimated to have enrolled in the Marketplaces during 2015 open enrollment (Nov 2014 to Feb 2015). This includes 4.5 million who re-enrolled from 2014.

As of March 2015 a total of 16.4 got covered due to the ACA between the Marketplace, Medicaid expansion, young adults staying on their parents plan, and other coverage provisions. According to Gallup that translates to an uninsured rate of 11.9% down from a high of 18% in 2013.

Many more will enroll during the “tax season 2015 special enrollment period” from March 15 – April 30 2015. Others will drop their plan during the year, enroll under other special enrollment options, or switch coverage types.

It’s estimated that 5.7 million young adults (aged 19-25) stayed on a parent’s plan until age 26. That is 2.3 million who stayed on their parents plan from 2010 to 2013 with an estimated 3.4 million gaining coverage from 2013 to 2015.

10.8 million more enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP since Oct 2013. Not all who enrolled were ineligible before the ACA. Uninsured rates dropped lower in states that expanded Medicaid.

http://obamacarefacts.com/sign-ups/obamacare-enrollment-numbers/

Those are numbers we know. What we know about unemployment numbers is that part time work without health insurance is counted as "employed". People that drop out of the work force aren't counted as unemployed.

Makes absolutely zero sense.

Republicans have screwed over this country for the forseeable future.

And they still will even past that, especially considering how many stupid, stupid people elect the same people election after election that just fuck them over and against their own self interests.

They don't want you covered. They don't want you to have a safety net. When you fuck up or something happens, they want you to pay the most amount of money possible so they can line their pockets.

Fear equals money.

old

Nothing is less patriotic than telling your fellow countrymen to "fuck off and die" from preventable and treatable medical conditions.

The great irony is that party that waves the flag and espouses patriotism is also the party that wants to see Americans suffer and die from lack of medical care.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How stripped was your original insurance that it "didn't qualify"?
The insurance required by law is already barebones at a minimum.

Basic catastrophic plan for young people who are otherwise healthy. Low premium, high deductible, catastrophic coverage in case shit went down. I'm not sure what exactly about it made it illegal. I just know that it got cancelled and I needed to choose a new one.

Konka

Banned
Basic catastrophic plan for young people who are otherwise healthy. Low premium, high deductible, catastrophic coverage in case shit went down. I'm not sure what exactly about it made it illegal. I just know that it got cancelled and I needed to choose a new one.

I can tell you probably why without even looking at it. It probably didn't have yearly and lifetime limits on what you had to pay and it probably allowed them to drop your coverage for a litany of technical reasons should some "shit go down".

In regards to the PPACA specifically I feel the country loses regardless of popularity. Either it gains popularity and we get locked into its propping up of our horrifying excuse for a health care system or it remains/becomes vulnerable enough so that the GOP (and maybe "moderate" Democrats) replace it with something just as bad or even worse. Either way we keep our tragically overpriced, overcomplicated, and inefficient healthcare system that is inaccessible to many people.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I can tell you probably why without even looking at it. It probably didn't have yearly and lifetime limits on what you had to pay
Maybe, I have no idea.

and it probably allowed them to drop your coverage for a litany of technical reasons should some "shit go down".
Possibly, but I don't think my business manager would have recommended a plan that was so flimsy. She said it sucked that the old one got canned, and that there isn't anything we can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom