• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC-Age: Fare increase due to MTA budget shortfall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

June 5, 2007, 11:57 AM EDT
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which runs, among its entities, the Long Island Rail Road, needs to mind the gap. In this case, not the gaps on its station platforms.

Rather, it needs to close the projected gaps in its operating budgets for 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010, a review by the New York City Independent Budget Office has reported.

The analysis found that while previous MTA projected budget shortfalls failed to materialize -- and, in fact, turned into a surplus of almost $1 billion in 2006 -- the projected budget shortfalls in the next four years are "conservative" estimates and could necessitate raising railroad, subway and bus fares by 20 percent in order to close the gap.

What that could mean to riders are subway and bus fares going from $2 to $2.40 by 2010, the price of 30-day MetroCards soaring from $76 to $92 -- and the average LIRR fare going from $5.58 to $6.72.

"If we don't get financial help soon, transit riders will face whopping fare hikes," the senior attorney for the Straphangers Campaign, Gene Russianoff, said in a prepared statement Tuesday.

The commuter watchdog group called on Gov. Elliot Spitzer and Mayor Michael Bloomberg for financial help, pressing for the implementation of Bloomberg's congestion pricing plan proposal -- a plan that would charge commuters driving into midtown Manhattan -- to supplement the public transportation systems.

Opponents have previously railed against that congestion-pricing plan, saying it would place an undue financial burden on drivers who can not use mass transit and have no choice to drive into the city.

While the IBO review suggests the MTA will be faced with a significant budget crisis in the near future, it also suggests that raising fares alone is not the best plan of action.

It suggests that the shortfall needs to be raised from each of the major funding sources for the MTA: fares, tolls from the bridges and tunnels it operates, dedicated taxes and state and local subsidies. This would include higher E-Z Pass fares, potential revenue generated by MTA bonds and an increase in state capital contributions.

Reductions in service would have minimal debt relief impact the review found and so were not the recommended cost-cutting measures.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
This is getting ridiculous.

I started driving to avoid transit fares when they jumped from $1.50 to $2.00. Stopped driving when gas went through the roof and took public transport. Now what the hell do they want me to do? They don't give a shit though, it's shooting fish in a barrel to them, a captive audience.

This pisses me off. I feel like a good citizen not owning a car and adding to the already ridiculous traffic around the city and these bozos can't get their shit together. I studied some of their finances a year or so ago for a school project and there is so much waste and so little efficiency and all-around incompetence. The gov't needs to hire some experienced CEOs to run the piece of shit MTA and get its act together. Unions are good and all, but this is one case where they're ****ing it up for the rest of us.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hey my NJT fare just went up this month. Something like $140 for my monthly pass now. PATH looks to be the last holdout.

Meier

90 bucks a month still isn't all that much. Insurance is going to run you at least $125, the car payment likely $350-500 and then gas another $50-60 at least here in Florida.. I'll trade that for $92 any day of the week..

Tabris

We (Vancouver) pay $4.25 a fare that's valid for 3 hours. A full day pass will cost you $8.50

So to transit from home to downtown back to home is $8.50 a day. Of course, parking is around $10 - $15 bucks a day downtown, so it works out.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Meier said:
90 bucks a month still isn't all that much. Insurance is going to run you at least $125, the car payment likely $350-500 and then gas another $50-60 at least here in Florida.. I'll trade that for $92 any day of the week..
Meier.

When you have to put up with being stuffed in a subway car like a sardine in a tin, and the person next to you has horrible BO to the point where you almost collapse twice, and then someone trying to make a buck by selling bootleg CDs, batteries, or candies, tries to push through, and THEN you have a homeless person whose BO fights to the death with the other person's BO... when you experience that, tell me $92 isn't that bad.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
This thread feels like Deja Vu... when was the last threat of a NYC fare increase, or when did the last fare increase happen?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
DarienA said:
This thread feels like Deja Vu... when was the last threat of a NYC fare increase, or when did the last fare increase happen?
I think that was 2 years ago? And it was just for the unlimited cards. Don't exactly remember when fares went from $1.50 to $2.00.

Tarazet

I think the Santa Clara VTA is proposing to lower its fares.. but they'll still be more expensive than SamTrans, and I'll still prefer the rapaciously pricey BART anyway for its reliability.

Armitage

Tabris said:
We (Vancouver) pay $4.25 a fare that's valid for 3 hours. A full day pass will cost you $8.50

So to transit from home to downtown back to home is $8.50 a day. Of course, parking is around $10 - $15 bucks a day downtown, so it works out.

I always seem to pay $2.25 for a 3 zone pass, what's this $4.25 nonsense I'm hearing about?

Pimpwerx

Wellington said:
Meier.

When you have to put up with being stuffed in a subway car like a sardine in a tin, and the person next to you has horrible BO to the point where you almost collapse twice, and then someone trying to make a buck by selling bootleg CDs, batteries, or candies, tries to push through, and THEN you have a homeless person whose BO fights to the death with the other person's BO... when you experience that, tell me $92 isn't that bad.
Not to mention that on weekends (when you really want to go out and do shit) the trains run like shit. I drove to work while I still had my car. With tickets, it was costing me too much. PEACE.

Beezy

Wellington said:
Meier.

So true. :lol :lol :lol

Pimpwerx said:
Not to mention that on weekends (when you really want to go out and do shit) the trains run like shit. I drove to work while I still had my car. With tickets, it was costing me too much. PEACE.

Also, some trains don't run their full course or don't run at all during late nights. ****ing 5 train....

These morons are really terrible, I remember last year when they had the $1 subway rides because they had the $1 billion surplus. I was thinking to myself, I guarantee you that this is going to backfire. Imagine $1 Billion put into some kind of MTA infrastructure investment or simply put into a market, would have probably been enough to offset increases for the next 3 years.
Morans!

Tarazet

sonarrat said:
I think the Santa Clara VTA is proposing to lower its fares.. but they'll still be more expensive than SamTrans, and I'll still prefer the rapaciously pricey BART anyway for its reliability.

And of course the day after I say this, the Embarcadero station fills with smoke and is evacuated, causing a 45-minute delay with BART and a mass exodus to AC Transit buses..

The RTA (transit system in the Chicago area) is facing a similar budget crisis now too, even after a state auditor recently found that there wasn't a whole lot of waste to trim. The immediate problem could be easily fixed by giving it the authority to change its tax rates in the Chicago region, but the state legislature is too busy with petty infighting to make it happen. Pisses me off.

Gantz

Banned
It's still cheaper than riding NJ Transit or Septa. I can't imagine how much NJ Transit/Septa will be by 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom