• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Subway thread got me thinking, since I've always wanted to live in NYC, but I'm still trapped in college:

What jobs do you NYC guys have to make ends meet? Do you have degrees, too? How many people did you end up having to live with when you first got there? How much is your rent now?

Hopefully It can be manageable when I decide to go, but I wanted to hear some stories...

Getting a good job anywhere is tough, but it certainly feels tougher here in NYC due to the high cost of living and the amount of competition out there.

I myself am a writer, plus I design games, and I teach game design at an art school. Then there's the day job at the same college; its a regular desk job, but I depend on it to make sure I can pay the rent since those other three jobs can be spotty at times in terms of generating income.

Since I have an art related background and do freelance, it's not uncommon for myself and friends to have ten things going at once. Though it should be said that there's a real difference between doing something cuz it's a hobby and trying to make a legitimate living out of something.

Getting a good job depends on a lot of factors, though it primarily depends on what you want to do. Though I've learned that luck does play a major role. Knowing the right folks, and being somewere at the right place at the right time helps.

As for rent, I live in Manhattan, and it's super expensive. I pay $760 for a room that's 8X15. Considering that I'm a block away from the subway and have free cable plus cable modem, it's actually not a bad deal.

Jobs in NYC pay more so its a fair trade off.

The kind of job you get is directly proportional to the amount of connects you have. If you have a good background (good education) though theres nothing stopping you from getting an entry level decent paying job. From there make a lot of friends and move up the ladder.

mattiewheels said:
Subway thread got me thinking, since I've always wanted to live in NYC, but I'm still trapped in college:

What jobs do you NYC guys have to make ends meet? Do you have degrees, too? How many people did you end up having to live with when you first got there? How much is your rent now?

Hopefully It can be manageable when I decide to go, but I wanted to hear some stories...

As a lifetime NYer, I have to tell you, NYC can be a rough city if you're from out of town. The city can be "less than friendly" and good jobs aren't very easy to come by, regardless of what some people will tell you. Education can make a difference, but it also depends on what type of degree you have (and whether or not it is a 2 or 4-year degree since competition is fierce). FWIW, I have a degree in Business Administration/Marketing, and good jobs aren't very easy to come by. I have yet to find a job in my field that pays a decent salary at my level. So I just take what's availible (mostly dead end jobs) until something better comes up. The phrase "decent salary" is very subjective, because everyone will define it differently. In my opinion, a decent salary in NYC is when you can afford to pay your rent, utilities, DSL, and a few miscellaneous items all by yourself. For many of us, this is not a reality. Rent in NYC is outright absurd. It rises every year, while salaries seldom improve. For example, the average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment in even the bad areas of the South Bronx is hovering around $900. This is far too much for any area that averages over one murder a month. For the good areas in NYC? Forget about it. At times many landlords charge $1000 for a studio. Believe me, I've checked. Most real estate agents will charge you $1400 dollars for a 1-bedroom (nothing fancy, just decent, even if a bit small) in a decent area in Manhattan. Even Inwood and Washington Heights (the northern areas of Manhattan that out of towners know nothing about) have sky rocketed.

Basically, in order to get a good job in NYC, you need experience (this goes a long way), and education, and most importantly, you need to know the right people. This is the cold hard truth. Some people get lucky on their own, but for most of us, this is not the case. The same can be said about findindg a good apartment in NYC. If you know the right people, you can get a good deal, otherwise, you'll have to pay the sky high prices for rent. Or, you'll have to share an apartment. I'm married, so me and my wife split everything down the middle. This is the only reason we can afford to pay our bills. Otherwise, I don't think we can survive on one income, unless that single income is over $40k.

PS: I'm was fortunate to find a great deal on a very nice apartment in the Riverdale area of NYC, through a Japanese real estate company (my wife is Japanese), and pay $775 a month for a 1-bedroom. This is a steal, but there was two catches. First, since the real estate company had a lock on this building, we had to go through them. As a result, we had to pay a shit load of money up front to cover all their fees and move in. In the end, I would say it was worth it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I was almost ready to move this summer, into a temp place in the Hispanic district on the very upper west side (Washington Heights, I think? Or Jackson Heights?) and that was dirt cheap, $100 a week with a shared bathroom. I was gonna do that until I got situated, but it never worked out and I stayed here. I'm getting my degree in English, so hopefully that'll mean something, anything, to an employer up there.

I'm guessing the fact that they pay employees more up there still doesn't coorelate with the astronomical rents, right?

goodcow

I've lived in Queens all my life but I'm finally ready to take the plunge into Manhattan to see how I do... not to mention my schedule for school/work isn't very commuter friendly for Queens, as two days a week I have to:

1. Go to Manhattan for school from Queens
2. Go to work in Queens from Manhattan
3. Return to Manhattan for school
4. Head back home to Queens

So moving to Manhattan will definitely make this a lot more friendly.

That being said, I'm budgeting myself at $1000 a month for rent, and a yearly income of $23000 after taxes, and I'll be just squeeking by.

If you can find a place for $1000 then I'd say Manhattan is more comfortable, and can easily be done if you don't splurge at $26,000 or so.

But yeah, it'll be tight money wise... I just hope I don't dip into my savings. The first thing though is actually finding a place for $1000... and I'm deadset against roommates.

aparisi2274

I was born, bred, and currently live on Staten Island. I refuse to live in the city because the cost of living is ridiculous. Not like living on SI is any better, but it is, a little... Anyway, If you want to work in the city, you might want to look to NJ for an apt, or even one of the 5 boroughs, and then commute to work by either train or Ferry. Me, I work in NJ, so I dont have to deal. But it is a killer, the city, if you dont know anyone, and u try to come in and get a nice place and a good job, it aint gonna happen. Like others have said, experience in NYC goes a LONG way. The more experience you have, the better off you are. Apt's in the city are a crime. You pay like $1200 a month for what some consider an apt, but I consider a closet. Here is an example. If you ever saw the movie Spiderman 2, at the end, when he is in his apt, and Kirsten Dunst shows, up, and u basically see his bedroom, kitchen, bathroom all in one shot, thats a typical NY apt.

Whatever you decide, make sure you do your research, look on websites like apartments.com or rent.com and see what you can find...

I was born, bred, and currently live on Staten Island. I refuse to live in the city because the cost of living is ridiculous

AAAARGH!!!! the five boroughs ARE the city!!! sorry but as a lifetime brooklynite it sticks in my craw that only people in manhattan are "from the city" wankers.

lachesis

What jobs do you NYC guys have to make ends meet? ...
I'm a network broadcast graphic designer. Due to union, it pays pretty good, and since it's in NYC, it pays higher than normal. Sufficient for me to make a good living.

Do you have degrees, too?
I just have BFA in painting, from a very small school, nothing Ivy league. (Fine Art)

How many people did you end up having to live with when you first got there? How much is your rent now?
I was pretty lucky that when I first came to NY, I settled down in Great Neck area in Long Island. It's a rich neighborhood, but I found a small place for monthly rate of $800. (1997-2001) Then I moved to Bayside, Queens - where the rent was $1550 (2bd, 1bth 2001-2004) Now I bought a condo in Edgewater, NJ (right across the Hudson River), and my Mortgage for 2 Bedroom right now is about $2400.

Commute from Queens or Brooklyn is a good option - more for your buck. NJ is another option too - although the prices here is hiking up pretty fast. Still, a lot more space for your buck.

I'd really recommend to get a couple of roommates, though. Definitely cheaper, if you can handle them. To be honest, it will be really hard to afford to live w/o a roommate in the city w/o living in a really crappy place.

Save up as much as possible in renting. Anywhere you can access with subway, is the best bet. Do not take LIRR, because its fucking expensive as hell (one of the reason I moved to NJ, because bus is cheaper). Astoria, or Elmhurst in Queens is another decent place you could look for renting too.

lachesis

mattiewheels said:
I was almost ready to move this summer, into a temp place in the Hispanic district on the very upper west side (Washington Heights, I think? Or Jackson Heights?) and that was dirt cheap, $100 a week with a shared bathroom. I was gonna do that until I got situated, but it never worked out and I stayed here. I'm getting my degree in English, so hopefully that'll mean something, anything, to an employer up there.

I'm guessing the fact that they pay employees more up there still doesn't coorelate with the astronomical rents, right?

Mattie, if it was way up on Manhattan, I'm certain it was Washington Heights, AKA Little Dominican Republic. Washington Heights is okay, but it really depends on the street and the avenue. If you're a native NYer like me, and are of latin descent, almost anywhere in the 'Heights or Inwood are fine. However, for most people, especially people from other places, I always recommend staying 168th-220th. Also, it's not just the streets that are important. The avenues are as well. Real estate agents will always make sure that you stay on Broadway, or west of Broadway, because other areas in the 'Heights can be a "less than friendly" at night. For what it's worth, the area has been cleaning up, and is nowhere near as dangerous as it used to be. $100 a week for rent is pretty much normal, and if the room is just spacious enough to get by, than it is a good deal. As long as the roomate is clean, sharing a bathroom isn't a big deal. If I were you, I would browse the Japanese markets' bulletin boards, because they always have Japanese people looking for roomates all over the city, so that's always an option. Also, the fact that you may be able to teach them a little English on the side may be an added bonus.

With a degree in anything, I don't doubt you'll find a job. You may very well get lucky, and find a job that pays well. You just have to keep looking. Temp agencies are always an option, and they often have many permanent jobs that tell you that annual salary up front. If you're not extra picky, and can handle the agressiveness of the NYers around you, I think you'll be just fine. Job-wise, apartment, and all.

PS: Jackson Heights is also a predominately hispanic area as well, except it's in Queens as opposed to Manhattan, and instead on Dominicans, it features a large Colombian population.

kumanoki

I'm not from NYC, but I have a very healthy appreciation for it, good and bad.

My favorite song about NYC. Cheezy, but hey- nothing but good memories.

They Might Be Giants- New York City

You called me last night on the telephone
And I was glad to hear from you ’cause I was all alone
You said, it’s snowing, it’s snowing! god, I hate this weather.
Now I walk through blizzards just to get us back together

We met in the springtime at a rock-and-roll show
It was on the bowery when it was time to go
We kissed on the subway in the middle of the night
I held your hand, you held mine, it was the best night of my life.

’cause everyone’s your friend in New York City
And everything looks beautiful when you’re young and pretty
The streets are paved with diamonds and there’s just so much to see
But the best thing about New York City is you and me

Statue of liberty, Staten Island ferry, Co-op City, Katz’s and Tiffany’s
Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, the Empire State where Dylan lived
Coney Island and Times Square, Rockefeller Center
Wish I was there

You wrote me a letter just the other day
Said, springtime is coming soon so why don’t you come to stay.
I packed my stuff, got on the bus, I can’t believe it’s true
I’m three days from New York City and I’m three days from you

’cause everyone’s my friend in New York City
But the best thing about new york city is you and me

’cause everyone’s my friend in New York City
But the best thing about New York City is you and me.

Jim Bowie

My favorite NYC song is Andrew WK - I Love NYC. It's fucking good! OH YEAH! It's FUCKING GOOD!

Maybe check out places in Brooklyn or Queens? Easy access to the subways, and it's definitely not as expensive as living in Manhattan. Now, I've only lived there for two months (I lived with my Uncle working for the summer @ Bergen & Hoyt in Brooklyn), but I think that it'd not be hard to find a roommate, if that'd help you out with the rent & utilities (I say that because I got a few offers from female coworkers to share apartments when I mentioned I wanted to move there in a few years.)

Tarazet

WTF? I thought rent would be a lot higher than that in NYC for all the bitching. It's almost impossible to find an apartment under $1000 in San Francisco, of any kind. Even in San Jose it takes a hefty compromise in terms of building quality and amenities.

Beezy

sonarrat said:
WTF? I thought rent would be a lot higher than that in NYC for all the bitching. It's almost impossible to find an apartment under $1000 in San Francisco, of any kind. Even in San Jose it takes a hefty compromise in terms of building quality and amenities.

Trust me, there arent many apartments in NYC that cheap...

Loki

Count of Concision
In the outer boroughs (Brooklyn, SI, Queens etc.), one bedroom apartments average around $900-1000 (~$1300-1600 for two bedrooms), whereas in the city, I've never heard of anything besides a literal cubicle for less than $1600. A normal-sized one bedroom apartment of the sort you'd find in the outer boroughs will run you around $2100-2600 monthly in Manhattan, easily.

Believe me, when the poster above said that you'd pay $1200 for a "closet" in the city, he's not kidding. They're like 140 square feet, if that. :lol

Tarazet

Loki said:
In the outer boroughs (Brooklyn, SI, Queens etc.), one bedroom apartments average around $900-1000 (~$1300-1600 for two bedrooms), whereas in the city, I've never heard of anything besides a literal cubicle for less than $1600. A normal-sized one bedroom apartment of the sort you'd find in the outer boroughs will run you around $2100-2600 monthly in Manhattan, easily.

Believe me, when the poster above said that you'd pay $1200 for a "closet" in the city, he's not kidding. They're like 140 square feet, if that. :lol

Okay, so it sounds like SF is just slightly above the outer boroughs... the average seems to be about $1200 for a semi-decent one-bedroom. $2100-2600? That raises the kind of outrage I expect when I hear New Yorkers talking about rent...

Loki

Count of Concision
sonarrat said:
$2100-2600? That raises the kind of outrage I expect when I hear New Yorkers talking about rent...

Easily. My best friend's saxophone instructor lived in the heart of the city (he plays on Broadway and is world famous, he can afford it :p), and one day I accompanied him to one of his lessons (this was about 10 years ago, mind you), and this "apartment" was about 250 sq. feet total (and sectioned off, too), and the guy was paying $2900 for it...ten years ago. Depends on the area, obviously, but this wasn't on Park Place or anything; so you get the idea. :p

In Brooklyn, $1000 for a one bedroom is pretty much becoming the norm; I put $900 on the low end because if you look hard enough, they can still be found for that price (and obviously you can find apts. for $500-700 if you don't mind the neighborhood). But a one bedroom in any sort of decent neighborhood will run you about $1000 nowadays, and the increasing rent shows no sign of slowing up. My friend just got a one bedroom for $1050, himself. Hey, at least in SF you have nice scenery-- everywhere in Brooklyn is drab and dreary and crowded, yet we still pay through the nose for it. :p

EDIT: Hah, I said "Park Place" instead of "Park Avenue"-- no more Monopoly for me. :D

mattiewheels

Thanks for the replies doods.

I have no issues with living in a closet. I'm fine with small spaces, and I'm pretty sure I won't be there that often anyway. Hope I can snag a decent job and start paying for my thousand-dollar closet within the next year...

I LOVE.....NEW YORK CITY

OH YEAH...NEW YORK CITY

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I go to school here, but I would never stay here. Too much of a premium on everything that you pay just for the fact that you're in NY; to some this huge premium is worth it, to me it's not. 95% of my classmates will be working here and I would have no problem affording it, but nothing against the city, which is really cool, but I don't feel the cost is justified in most cases. If you've got the hook-up and get lucky, you can cut down this cost a bit (finding cheaper housing, etc.), but that can be a real hassle. Just spend a few weeks here, buy groceries, get around, soak everything up, and determine for yourself if the benefit outweighs the huge cost.

all righty then. welcome aboard.
at union square station for some reason it smells like a bum died and they havent found the body.
also, at 42nd street(N,Q,R,W LINE) there is this guy who is always playing the guitar non-stop.
as for rent, i'm splitting thre rent (along with my two brothers) on a 1200 dollar two bedroom in bay ridge so it's cool.
but then again, the landlady is a bitch and there is no hot water in the shower (god damn) and the N,R,Q,W trains are the worst. other than the fact that i havent found a steady job (i havent finished my education as of yet) everything is peachy. mets or yankees? and dont be abitcha nd cop out. your life and livelyhood depend on it. ;)

mattiewheels said:
I have no issues with living in a closet. I'm fine with small spaces, and I'm pretty sure I won't be there that often anyway.

Us New Yorkers all say this at first. But after 8 or 9 years or so of it, ask yourself if you wanna stick around for year 10. :)

evil solrac v3.0 said:
at union square station for some reason it smells like a bum died and they havent found the body.
also, at 42nd street(N,Q,R,W LINE) there is this guy who is always playing the guitar non-stop.

You're forgetting the pit of hell that is the Canal Street station.

Tazznum1

Loki said:

Exactly what I was thinking. BTW, S.I. is going up on rents...again. I live in Monmouth County NJ and pay $975 for a 1 bedroom condo. So much better than any of the 5 boroughs but the commute is a killer. But it is a trade off that I can handle. No local traffic. NO LOCAL TRAFFIC!! It's amazing. There is parking and these things that come out of the ground. I think natives call them trees. It's WILD! :D

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Holy crap, the canal street station does smell like shit. I work downthere and I hold my breadth till i get out of the station. The heights kick ass if you find a nice place. It is alot safer than it used to be. Im dominican so it doesnt matter to me :) I live in the upper east side, low 80s, and it seems to be the cheapest nice area to live in manhattan.
I do concept, and 3d modeling work for a game company here in the city. Its very tough finding a job i guess becuase all of the cool game jobs are out west but there is no way im moving to Cali anytime soon.

Gantz

Banned
sonarrat said:

My friend in San Fran pays $400 for his place. It's fucking nice. He has roommates of course. I pay $475 in Brooklyn with roommates which also very nice and spacious. :D

Doc Holliday said:
I do concept, and 3d modeling work for a game company here in the city. Its very tough finding a job i guess becuase all of the cool game jobs are out west but there is no way im moving to Cali anytime soon.

...Gameloft? :eek:

Also, worst station for smell by far = Atlantic Ave. in Brooklyn. Holy shit, it's like the colon of Satan.

Ha! And here I thought the 59th Street and Lexington station on the N and R line was the worst. I've been using that station for many years, and to this day, it still smells like hot vomit. They (the MTA) really need to fumigate that place.

Tarazet

captmcblack said:

Also, worst station for smell by far = Atlantic Ave. in Brooklyn. Holy shit, it's like the colon of Satan.

I live in a town that grows a lot of mushrooms. Believe me, there are few things that smell worse than a mushroom farm being aired out on a hot day. It peels the paint off of cars. The next town over smells like garlic, but that's cool because I love that smell.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America

Nah, new developer for pc and maybe consoles in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom