• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD handcuffed by investment in Microsoft's Windows Phone

entremet

Exactly. OSS doesn't have the support death problem because the source can be inspected. Once their iPhones go out of date they are stuck with those too unless they upgrade.
They’re obviously gonna buy new phones. Apple also supports their devices for a while too.

My iPad mini 2 is still getting updated to the latest version of iOS.

gogojira

Who says that iPhones are more secure than Android devices? Actually, if it were for security, I'd get something that is open-source.

Literally anyone in the security field. You're lucky if your Android runs the latest version of Android and not something years back, assuming the device is even supported. This isn't even up for debate.

NimbusD

What fucking idiots. Unless they got money from Microsoft for the purchase there's literally no reason to go with them over anyone else.

ElFly

bah what a bunch of jokers

the cops should just have rolled over to the local microsoft offices and gone "it is such a pretty company you have here. it'd be a shame if something were to happen to it" and drop some notebook on the floor

surely microsoft would have kept the phone going after that

jagowar

What fucking idiots. Unless they got money from Microsoft for the purchase there's literally no reason to go with them over anyone else.

There were quite a few reasons to choose them. In a deployment like this you typically don't care about most of the "consumer" features because they are going to be locked down to run specific apps or custom things. Even advantages like resale value wont matter as much because they will probably never consider reselling them. They only care about how long the core os will be supported which is the issue with the windows phones they had since 8.1 is not getting security updates.

Kind of surprised ms didn't offer them some kind of upgrade path to a win10 mobile device. I know they are trying to get out of the mobile game but it seemed like one of those times they should have just given them new devices rather than take the PR hit.

Not that we will ever know but I bet they are gonna spend a hell of a lot more to migrate to iphones. As somebody who has looked into this recently, good iPhone management suites are expensive as hell and that's ontop of the premium price for an iPhone. One of the biggest advantages windows 10 on mobile has (in the enterprise) is the ability to use the same tools to manage your pc's as well as mobile devices.

jstripes

Banned
There were quite a few reasons to choose them. In a deployment like this you typically don't care about most of the "consumer" features because they are going to be locked down to run specific apps or custom things. Even advantages like resale value wont matter as much because they will probably never consider reselling them. They only care about how long the core os will be supported which is the issue with the windows phones they had since 8.1 is not getting security updates.

Kind of surprised ms didn't offer them some kind of upgrade path to a win10 mobile device. I know they are trying to get out of the mobile game but it seemed like one of those times they should have just given them new devices rather than take the PR hit.

Not that we will ever know but I bet they are gonna spend a hell of a lot more to migrate to iphones. As somebody who has looked into this recently, good iPhone management suites are expensive as hell and that's ontop of the premium price for an iPhone. One of the biggest advantages windows 10 on mobile has (in the enterprise) is the ability to use the same tools to manage your pc's as well as mobile devices.
You're making a heavy assumption there that the Windows 10 Mobile devices currently on the market will be supported by the next "mobile" release of Windows 10. You know, the next mobile OS reboot that there's murmurs about. Development on the current branch of Window 10 Mobile has been halted, and their current mobile efforts are in putting "real" (main branch) Windows 10 on mobile devices.

If the NYPD was even considering keeping with Windows, which in the phone world falls into "burn me three times" territory, they would have reached out to Microsoft and asked if they could guarantee ongoing support. The current OS is done, and no one knows their plans for the future.

So stick to ones that get updated regularly? Poorly supported devices doesn't really make Android as a whole system less secure.

The problem is that unless you stick to a very small handful of models, you’re basically fucked for security updates.

Also, that’s not all that was in those links with regard to security.

Nevasleep

Interestingly this cnet article suggests they were thinking of moving to 10, also that Microsoft helped develop or customise Apps (I wonder if MS stopped providing support). Still feels like Microsoft sold them down the river though.

iPhones are a proven solution, being used by some of the largest companies in the world in rough environments with custom applications (Android too, but not as common).
I think its the new IBM saying...Nobody ever got fired for buying iPhones.

RuGalz

The problem is that unless you stick to a very small handful of models, you’re basically fucked for security updates.

Also, that’s not all that was in those links with regard to security.

So what is the problem of sticking to a handful models? Android's openness and massive market makes it a good target for attacks but that's mostly a problem if you want cheap, unsupported devices. Flagship phones from major oems are getting security updates at least quarterly. The overall number doesn't look good but that's only because there are a lot of crap manufactures.

kirblar

Interestingly this cnet article suggests they were thinking of moving to 10, also that Microsoft helped develop or customise Apps (I wonder if MS stopped providing support). Still feels like Microsoft sold them down the river though.

iPhones are a proven solution, being used by some of the largest companies in the world in rough environments with custom applications (Android too, but not as common).
I think its the new IBM saying...Nobody ever got fired for buying iPhones.
The person who got the microsoft contract either sold them out or just botched it hard because they didn't understand market trends.

Nafai1123

Banned
Are people seriously trying to argue Android is as secure as iOS? I'm an Android fan but cmon, that's just embarrassing.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Let's not forget, Windows Phone had cheap entry level phones that just don't exist with Apple. It's understandable they went a cheaper option at the time.

This upgrade will cost a FORTUNE

Jonnax

So what is the problem of sticking to a handful models? Android's openness and massive market makes it a good target for attacks but that's mostly a problem if you want cheap, unsupported devices. Flagship phones from major oems are getting security updates at least quarterly. The overall number doesn't look good but that's only because there are a lot of crap manufactures.

Apple's security model is fundamentally stronger.

For example when the phone is locked, the device encrypts the storage.
Apps can define what they wish to be unencrypted whilst lock so you can take pictures and get notifications.

Android on the other hand is decrypted at boot.
There are moves to adopt a model like iPhones but it's difficult because of backward compatibility for apps.

daviyoung

Banned
Because Windows Phones are dead.

The NYPD will need a continuous service solution for the next decades, going w/ Apple makes sense.

Are they? It just says 8.1 in the article and Windows 10 is still alive for phones. What happened with Continuum?

Maximo

giphy.gif

Dammit Jessica!

kirblar

Are they? It just says 8.1 in the article and Windows 10 is still alive for phones. What happened with Continuum?
Why would you continue buying hardware that won't last you long term?

It's far better to bite the bullet and take the one-time loss now by investing in phones that will actually keep working long term.

RuGalz

Apple's security model is fundamentally stronger.

For example when the phone is locked, the device encrypts the storage.
Apps can define what they wish to be unencrypted whilst lock so you can take pictures and get notifications.

There are moves to adopt a model like iPhones but it's difficult because of backward compatibility for apps.

Isn't that what file based encryption is fixing for Android? In situation like this where the app is customized, backward compatibility is not really an issue. Not disagreeing that iOS can be more secure due to closed system, etc, but it hardly makes Android inadequate as long as one isn't using a poorly supported device.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why switch to the most expensive phone out there though? Not an iOS vs Android thing, just, like, do they really need iPhones to do their jobs? Is it the best use of tax-payer money?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Hmm, is it? I know it was before, when you had to enter your PIN/pattern before it booted, but these days it will go all the way to the lockscreen before requiring it. But perhaps it's still just decrypted once, and not every time you unlock?

Fuchsdh

At what point did Windows Phone show any indication it was going to be a viable, long-term OS? Someone who presumably is in the technology industry made or recommended this decision to NYPD and I'd love to ask them some questions.

Yeah, that's what gets me about this more than anything. Even in 2014 the writing was on the wall for Windows' mobile efforts.

Why switch to the most expensive phone out there though? Not an iOS vs Android thing, just, like, do they really need iPhones to do their jobs? Is it the best use of tax-payer money?

You want hardware that will be supported, is secure, and will likely last a while, you're probably going to be looking at an iPhone. Apple isn't going anywhere, and they have yet to pull any surprises with regards to EOL support.

emag

iPhone SE is the least expensive phone with guaranteed security updates and support (it also offers much better performance than anything else around its price point).

WaterAstro

Why? Wouldn't a closed system be more secure?

A reason I could think is that it's probably because Apple didn't cooperate with terrorist investigations, so police might have problems customizing phones for police use since Apple controls the ecosystem and aren't cooperative with authority.

jstripes

Banned
A reason I could think is that it's probably because Apple didn't cooperate with terrorist investigations, so police might have problems customizing phones for police use since Apple controls the ecosystem and aren't cooperative with authority.

Apple refusing to build a custom firmware to decrypt speaks more about the security of iOS. How would refusing to decrypt phones negatively affect police usage?

After reading the details it seems... the lady was simply technically educated and very, very, very bull headed. As such, for the non-tech police managerial staff she was probably unstoppable in an argument. You've all seen the geeks who are stubborn and know their stuff. Its pretty hard to argue with them.

As far as why she chose Windows phone seems pretty obvious she built a MICROSOFT Gates approved and stamped ecosystem to run her Police Program to send out notifications.

** As such, the windows phone seemed like an automatic extension for her. It didn't work out.

Top Bottom