• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT article on the original iPhone development and its team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

It's crazy when he first showed off dragging the list with your finger. It's something so mundane we take for granted, but it was the first time anyone has ever seen that back then.

Yeah, so many of those moments are in that keynote. Even 'slide to unlock' was something new. The pinch to zoom on photos got a big reaction.

mooooose

Remember when the iPhone didn't have a software marketplace because Jobs didn't trust other developers to make software that wasn't shit?

Then the development team at Apple came up with a form of development that allowed developers to make apps, at least visually, be completely synchronized with the OS?

That was awesome.

LCfiner

nice article. I like knowing about all the details behind a demo like that - realizing just how unstable and unfinished everything was .

Plus those engineers taking shots in the audience during the keynote? awesome.

Sarcasm

Yeah, so many of those moments are in that keynote. Even 'slide to unlock' was something new. The pinch to zoom on photos got a big reaction.

Even though it existed 2 years before?

Not hating here.

I don't have a smartphone =(

Sean

Banned
"An iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator....

An iPod, a phone...are you getting it? These are not 3 separate devices."

GOAT keynote. Reading that article, so so much could have gone wrong, its crazy. Jobs da gawd.

That keynote was incredible, Steve had the crowd going wild after the first two minutes and then showed one "holy shit" moment after another. The way he demoed the phone made it seem incredibly polished, I mean he was even prank calling Starbucks and stuff.

Interesting to learn that it was buggy as fuck and could've all gone horribly wrong.

Vyer

Even though it existed 2 years before?

Not hating here.

I don't have a smartphone =(

That's the point; we're talking about the reactions in the keynote video. that so many people hadn't crossed paths with an old obscure windows ce phone isn't all that surprising though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
"An iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator....

An iPod, a phone...are you getting it? These are not 3 separate devices."

GOAT keynote. Reading that article, so so much could have gone wrong, its crazy. Jobs da gawd.

That is quite likely the technology keynote of all time.

I am really happy to have experienced myself how revolutionary it was, those moments come incredibly rarely - not sure if we will see anything like this in our lifetimes. Usually innovation and paradigm changes creep on us gradually - like iPad, or internet - but here it was sheer "BOOM - this changes everything" out of nowhere

If you talk me into baking a loaf of bread, and I bake an amazing, game changing loaf of bread, do I not deserve the credit? Do you deserve it for talking me into it?

Except Jobs didn't bake the break. It's more like someone else baked it, he said "it's a bit too fluffy" or "make the crust smaller" and then he goes on and says "Look at this amazing bread I created!"

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Except Jobs didn't bake the break. It's more like someone else baked it, he said "it's a bit too fluffy" or "make the crust smaller" and then he goes on and says "Look at this amazing bread I created!"
Jobs didn't position himself as the inventor of the iPhone. That's mostly the media's doing.
Jobs was the CEO and he took the role of getting up on stage to demonstrate all the products the company had created. That doesn't mean that he was taking credit for being the inventor of all of them.

Timbuktu

Fascinating the background to the first keynote. All that tension amongst the devs that the flaky prototype would pull it off!

Don't think it's too far from what I'd imagine, but it's the details that makes it. Now i can see how Sorkin's movie might work. Always thought it was a shame that Pirates didn't end on the right keynote.

railGUN

Banned

I don't know that he ever said that about his involvement in the iPhone (claiming it was his invention), but nevertheless, taking things, and improving them, and shaping a vision through your paid employees is, at least, kind of baking the bread. Without his involvement, do you think the iPhone would have been the phone it was?

bionic77

I don't know that he ever said that about his involvement in the iPhone (claiming it was his invention), but nevertheless, taking things, and improving them, and shaping a vision through your paid employees is, at least, kind of baking the bread. Without his involvement, do you think the iPhone would have been the phone it was?
Without Jobs Apple would not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom