• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(NYT) Comey Told Sessions: Don’t Leave Me Alone With Trump

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/06/us/politics/comey-sessions-trump.html

WASHINGTON — The day after President Trump asked James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director, to end an investigation into his former national security adviser, Mr. Comey confronted Attorney General Jeff Sessions and said he did not want to be left alone again with the president, according to current and former law enforcement officials.

Mr. Comey believed Mr. Sessions should protect the F.B.I. from White House influence, the officials said, and pulled him aside after a meeting in February to tell him that private interactions between the F.B.I. director and the president were inappropriate. But Mr. Sessions could not guarantee that the president would not try to talk to Mr. Comey alone again, the officials said.

As F.B.I. director, Mr. Comey wrote a detailed memo after every major phone call or meeting with Mr. Trump and left those memos in the bureau’s files when he left. As special counsel, Mr. Mueller has access to those memos, but the F.B.I. declined a request from the Senate Intelligence Committee for copies of the memos, citing the ongoing investigation. It is unclear whether Mr. Comey still has copies of all of them or plans to read from them during his testimony.

According to people briefed on the memos, they describe not only what Mr. Trump said, but details such as his tone and where he was sitting. In one memo, Mr. Comey described a dinner with Mr. Trump at the White House a week after the inauguration in January. Mr. Trump asked Mr. Comey to pledge his loyalty but Mr. Comey refused.

please.gif

Tommy DJ

Comey is one of the more relatable figures in this drama.

This was the thing I wasn't expecting.

"Come on man, don't leave me alone with that god awful supervisor. He's going to make me do a whole lot of shit I can't refuse, back me up man"

"I hope to god he doesn't single me out in class, I think I'll hide behind the cabinet and hope he doesn't see me"

Why does the question of why he didn't tell anyone while it was happening, keep coming up.
Does trump have a boss that I am not aware of?

Steel

Banned
Why does the question of why he didn't tell anyone while it was happening, keep coming up.
Does trump have a boss that I am not aware of?

It's Republicans basically saying that Comey is making things up because he didn't go to the Justice Department right away. It is usually followed by "Well, why didn't Comey take memos of Obama's conversations, huh?!"

I'm sure Sessions told Trump of this the second Comey left.

Is he a stupid person?

I don't understand what universe Comey lives in if he actually thought Jeff Sessions, a known scumbag and Trump surrogate wouldn't blab that information to Trump immediately.

Does James Comey have donkey brains?

Tovarisc

People make jokes about this, but this is significant. Comey felt Trumps actions towards him and FBI were inappropriate enough that he notified Sessions about this.

"Why didn't he tell anyone at the time and just write memos?"

He did tell. Sessions, apparently, did jackshit about it as Trump kept approaching Comey directly.

Is he a stupid person?

I don't understand what universe Comey lives in if he actually thought Jeff Sessions, a known scumbag and Trump surrogate wouldn't blab that information to Trump immediately.

Who else he was supposed inform? Eastern Bunny (I don't mean Spicer)?

Going to AG is logical as hell.

Boylamite

Is he a stupid person?

I don't know man, what we're seeing now could be why he did it.

rambis

Banned
Is he a stupid person?

Sessions is his direct superior. In a normal government this wouldnt be a big issue, its actually expected. Fbi directors don't usually get fired.

KHarvey16

Is he a stupid person?

He involved the AG as he should have and recorded it. It's CYA for exactly these kinds of events.

Lol, just because Jeffrey had his Russian buddy's back when it came to hiding discussions, doesn't mean he'd have yours, Comey.

People make jokes about this, but this is significant. Comey felt Trumps actions towards him and FBI were inappropriate enough that he notified Sessions about this.

"Why didn't he tell anyone at the time and just write memos?"

He did tell. Sessions, apparently, did jackshit about it as Trump kept approaching Comey directly.

Who else he was supposed inform? Eastern Bunny (I don't mean Spicer)?

Going to AG is logical as hell.

Exactly. Now the GOP has lost their only deflection.

One of the things I saw an article about that I am certain will be asked about Thursday is just HOW OFTEN did Trump contact Comey in just 4 months and in comparison how often did Obama contact Comey in 4 years.

Comey won't be stupid enough to outright say "Trump tried to undermine the independence of the FBI", but he'll let the facts of his descriptions clearly imply that.

Also key will be the fact that Trump was constantly contacting Comey, yet at no point during that brought up the complaints in the letter that led to him getting fired. That will clearly undermine the integrity of excuse given for firing Comey.

MIMIC

Banned
OK? So don't be left alone with him.

I don't get it. Is Comey himself incapable of not being left alone with Trump or something?

Top Bottom