• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: For the New Far Right, YouTube Has Become the New Talk Radio

I can't help but feel that there is just more passing of the buck here. I think we as progressives are fucking dropping the ball, and when we continuously outsource our failures to youtube, cnn, or whomever is next, people see this as a weakness in argument.

I see a lot of complaining that platforms aren't doing enough to hide viewpoints that we disagree with and not enough to promote viewpoints that I agree with, and it just feels like a dead end.

Private companies allowing bigotry to flow unabated is a problem

You know what settled this? The recent appropriation of the concept of fake news. Seriously, this was strategically a masterpiece in terms of proliferation of an ideology. You know how this entire article can be debunked by using 4 words? This is fake news. That's it. That's all it takes. Then it became entangled with that PDP rant about the old media being out to get these guys and that's all she wrote, these articles don't even reach part of the population while the "free media" keeps expanding.

I say this as a journalist, big time journalism has been reactive rather than proactive for quite a while now. It was only a matter of time until something like this happened.

Top Bottom