• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Hugh Jackman on Nearing the End of Logan’s Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link.

19logan-web-superjumbknrjr.jpg

The last time Hugh Jackman played Wolverine, the comic-book superhero he has portrayed onscreen for 17 years, was not an especially decorous occasion. In the midst of his work on a coming movie musical, he had to return for two days of reshoots on ”Logan," the 10th film in Fox's X-Men franchise, to inflict some beatings and take some beatings, and he ended up shouting his voice hoarse.

”I yelled and screamed so much, and then I had to go back to the musical the next day," a more restored Mr. Jackman recalled recently with a laugh. ”I actually said to someone, ‘Not with a bang but a whimper.'"

His claw-popping alter ego fares no better in ”Logan," which opens March 3. Set in 2029, it finds the title character weary and weakened, unable to heal as rapidly as he used to. The X-Men are long gone, and he's reduced to driving a limousine while he tends an aged Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart), whose psychic powers have become a dangerous liability.

From the moment Mr. Jackman became a movie star, with the original ”X-Men" in 2000, he has been synonymous with Wolverine, a feral mutant with a metal skeleton and a tormented, decades-long past lived under the name Logan. It is his most visible and successful role, and one that, as recently as late January, he still wasn't finished with. Because there was always one more dialogue rerecording session or conversation to have with his director, ”I'm uncomfortable saying goodbye," he said.

More in the article but the parts everyone here will care about:
But asked if he envisions ”Logan" as his final outing as Wolverine, he answered, ”When I had the script, I was like, ‘Yes,'" he said. ”And when I was shooting the movie, yes. As I sit here today, yes."

”God knows how I'll feel in three years," he continued. ”But right now, absolutely."

---

Mr. Jackman said it was only a matter of time before another actor took over Wolverine. ”The character will go on," he said. ”Someone else will play it, for sure." He insisted he was at peace with that, ”unless Daniel Day-Lewis plays him and wins the Oscar — then I might have a little problem."

caliph95

But asked if he envisions “Logan” as his final outing as Wolverine, he answered, “When I had the script, I was like, ‘Yes,’” he said. “And when I was shooting the movie, yes. As I sit here today, yes.”

“God knows how I’ll feel in three years,” he continued. “But right now, absolutely.”

So until they bring another truck full of money.

OnPoint

He was a truly great pick for the role, even if I wasn't super amped on how tall he is. I don't know how you replace him.

Sephzilla

I feel like he wouldn't be stepping down from the role if Fox and Marvel got a deal that put Wolverine in the MCU. At this point I think that's the only thing left he wants to do.

EDIT:

He is good friends with Ryan Reynolds. The possibility of being in a Deadpool movie is more likely.

This too

numble

I feel like he wouldn't be stepping down from the role if Fox and Marvel got a deal that put Wolverine in the MCU. At this point I think that's the only thing left he wants to do.
He is good friends with Ryan Reynolds. The possibility of being in a Deadpool movie is more likely.

. If Marvel can make a deal for Spider Man, DeadPool and Logan can happen in MCU.

Why not both ?

Sephzilla

. If Marvel can make a deal for Spider Man, DeadPool and Logan can happen in MCU.

I think the relationship between Sony and Marvel was always a lot healthier than the relationship between Fox and Marvel. Wasn't there already talks of an Amazing Spider-Man easter egg in the first Avengers? I remember there being talks about putting the Oscorp building in the New York skyline for the Avengers.

DrArchon

Marvel got that deal done because Sony was hemorrhaging money on Spider-Man movies. That isn't happening with Fox and X-Men/Deadpool so I don't see a reason for them to make a deal.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?

EDIT:

This too

In the unlikely event that Marvel Studios get the Xmen rights it's also imo unlikely they'd carry over the baggage from the current continuity.

I would have loved to see Jackman as Wolverine in the MCU even just once for a few minutes. It didn't have to be a full-on crossover or retroactively tied the Xmen movies with the MCU, but just the idea of Jackman, Downey and Evans fighting side by side as their respective characters would have been great to see. Quippy as fuck too.

When Fox presents that check, he'll change his mind. Ask Daniel Craig who acted like he was being tortured to play James Bond till Sony made that offer he couldn't refuse

You want the one wholey unique comic book movie character shackled to the bland and generic MCU formula? No thanks, MCU managed to neuter a Shane Black film for crying out loud. I don't want Deadpool, a breath of fresh air in the genre anywhere near Disney's bland, white bread assembly line films.

Alienous

Deadpool, full costume and helmet.

That's going out with a bang. Then he can truly walk away into the sunset as Wolverine.

Apdiddy

In a perfect world, X-Men would be part of the MCU and we would get the definitive versions of X-Men (from early days to Phoenix Saga to Dark Phoenix Saga and so forth) and none of these stupid Inhumans. Sorry but Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are not Inhumans.

Bigfoot

I would have loved to see Jackman as Wolverine in the MCU even just once for a few minutes. It didn't have to be a full-on crossover or retroactively tied the Xmen movies with the MCU, but just the idea of Jackman, Downey and Evans fighting side by side as their respective characters would have been great to see. Quippy as fuck too.
I would rather see Jackman, Downey and Evans show up in a Fox Deadpool movie than Jackman showing up in the MCU. Of course Marvel would never allow this and Fox would never pay for it.

But asked if he envisions “Logan” as his final outing as Wolverine, he answered, “When I had the script, I was like, ‘Yes,’” he said. “And when I was shooting the movie, yes. As I sit here today, yes.”

“God knows how I’ll feel in three years,” he continued. “But right now, absolutely.”
Translation: Marketing wants you to think this is the very last time you gonna see me was Wolverine so you better show up.

movies like Logan and Deadpool would never happen at Marvel studios.

while I get a lot of fans want the xmen in the mcu I'm glad they never got it. plus imagine the mess they would make trying to fit the mutant universe into the mcu which is going smoothly for them.

I would rather see Jackman, Downey and Evans show up in a Fox Deadpool movie than Jackman showing up in the MCU. Of course Marvel would never allow this and Fox would never pay for it.

What could Disney do if Downey Jr and Evans showed up in a Deadpool films as themselves? Deadpool is all about in jokes and the forth wall. If both actors were game, there is nothing stopping the Deadpool writers from making a great joke out of cameos as themselves.

Jackman is an awesome dude, happy he got to make the Wolverine movie he really wanted to make in Logan. From everything I've read the movie is amazing, he deserves this.

Sephzilla

You want the one wholey unique comic book movie character shackled to the bland and generic MCU formula? No thanks, MCU managed to neuter a Shane Black film for crying out loud. I don't want Deadpool, a breath of fresh air in the genre anywhere near Disney's bland, white bread assembly line films.

You realize Marvel/Disney also gave us shit like Jessica Jones, which is pretty far from any family-friendly Disney image, and also gave us Kingpin turning a guys head into a slush puppie with a car door.

http://img.cinemablend.com/cb/9/7/1/e/7/c/971e7c48cc90e3ec702ac1b2f6c1308579725b7a918b73d08fba2fa6fd73bb67.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://static1.businessinsider.com/image/57582c53910584cc008c7a1e-480/jk-simmons-final.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Those guys enjoy working out as hobbies. Jackman doesn't. He's been talking about how he has to adjust his diet and regimen as he's getting older to keep in proper shape.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm happy that Jackman went out on a high note. After so many bad movies it's nice that he got atleast one good one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Deadpool would only have him in a cameo role similar to Colossus and Nega Sonic Teenage Warhead. I don't think it'd be as strenuous on him.

I see a new young Wolverine for the next x men movie and Jackman returns as older Logan when they want to do more time fuckery or fuck about in Deadpool for a few scenes

I could see a cameo in Deadpool being a troll where Jackman plays himself instead of Wolverine.

And Deadpool doesn't believe it is Jackman instead of Logan, so he just slices him up, thinking he will just heal and get back up. Then as Jackman bleeds out on the floor, Deadpool just looks at the camera and goes, "Shit."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom