• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: "In New York, teens and preteens are becoming savvy connoisseurs of real estate"

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/realestate/when-new-york-kids-help-find-the-family-home.html

A year and a half ago, Skye van Merkensteijn was shooting hoops with a friend who lives at the Aldyn, a condominium-rental hybrid on Riverside Boulevard with its own indoor basketball court, climbing wall and bowling alley.

Thirteen-year-old Skye was impressed — and envious. Well, his worldly pal told him, he just happened to know of an apartment for sale on the 21st floor.

Skye went home, jumped online and called up a video of the property in question — a 12-room spread with a hot tub and private 37-by-15-foot outdoor pool.

“When my husband, John, came home,” said Skye’s mother, Elizabeth van Merkensteijn, “Skye announced: ‘We’re moving and this is the place we’re moving to.’ ”

Mr. van Merkensteijn, an investor, told his son he couldn’t afford a $14 million apartment. As for Mrs. van Merkensteijn, if you wanted her to leave the family’s eight-room apartment at the Beresford on Central Park West, she said, you were going to have to carry her out. In a box.

Still, for a lark the couple strolled over to check out their son’s find, which, in addition to the pool and an expansive terrace, had bedazzling views of the Hudson and the Palisades. “We looked at each other and said, ‘This is unbelievable,’ ” Mrs. van Merkensteijn recalled. “The idea that you could own a place like this in New York City was amazing.”

Skye came along to the closing a few months later.

In New York, teens and preteens are becoming savvy connoisseurs of real estate.

Perhaps it’s because they’re so utterly at home on the Internet. Perhaps it’s because they’re lured by online images of condo amenities like an indoor pool or a children’s playroom or because they’re fans of “Million Dollar Listing New York” on Bravo. Or maybe it’s because it’s become business as usual for children in certain precincts of Manhattan to participate in family decisions.

“They choose where they and their parents are going to have dinner or where they’re going to go on vacation,” said Stuart Moss, an associate broker at Corcoran. “So why shouldn’t it extend to where they’re going to spend several million dollars for a residence?”

Bonnie Hut Yaseen, an associate broker at Fox Residential, is used to the youth vote by now. “I’m seeing this trend where parents are coming in to look at my listings and proudly announcing that it was their son or daughter who found it,” she said. “They’re finding an unexpected resource in their children.”

Ms. Yaseen said that in the past children saw their homes-to-be only when it was time for the parents to assign them their bedrooms. “Now, in some cases, the kids are coming on the first visit to an apartment because they want to know if it’s as good in reality as it looked online,” she said. “They’ll sometimes be there with paperwork, with a printout from a website.”

Their knowledge can be quite granular. “We had one teenager who knew the specifics of our floor plans. He knew that the C line apartments are 2,296 square feet and that the L units are 2,277,” said Justin D’Adamo, the managing director of Corcoran Sunshine, the marketing and sales team for River & Warren, a condominium development in Battery Park City. “He told his mother that the C line would be better because of his baby grand piano.”

Ultimately, he and his Steinway carried the day.

When Yovanka Bylander Arroyo, a widow with two children, began going to open houses, it was her son, Alexandre, 10, an HGTV and Zillow fan, who asked about square footage and the number of bedrooms and bathrooms. “And I was like, ‘Gee, I don’t know,’ ” said Ms. Arroyo, the executive director of a financial services firm. “Maybe I should be going on Zillow.”

Patty’s frequent visits to the sites StreetEasy, Trulia and Zillow led her to Carnegie Park, a condominium on Third and 94th. “We looked at it and are still seriously considering it,” Mrs. Haggerty said; they are also mulling over 515 East 72nd Street, another condominium.

“I feel I’ve been a big contribution to the process,” said Patty, whose wish list includes “a view of Central Park.”

Continue reading the main story
Michael Schultz, an associate broker with Corcoran, affectionately refers to 15-year-old Max Srulowitz as “the president.” That’s because last year, when Max’s parents, Jeffrey and Jennifer Srulowitz, were looking for a summer rental in East Hampton, N.Y., Max went online and found some prospects that had eluded Mr. Schultz, including the winning property.

Now, the Srulowitzes are hoping to buy in East Hampton, and once again, Max is playing a key role. Mr. Schultz even includes him in the emails he sends to Mr. and Ms. Srulowitz. “When I get listings,” Ms. Srulowitz said, “I print them out and before I show them to my husband, I’ll show Max. I take pride in his acumen, and he’s very mature.”

All this speaks to the evolving parent-child dynamic, according to Dr. Gail Saltz, a psychiatrist. “I think particularly in affluent areas, there’s now less of a separation in terms of what children are privy to and what privileges they get to have,” she said. “These parents aren’t saying: ‘We need to move and it’s your responsibility to find us a place.’ This is about children being helpful in ways that are fun for them.”

“Would it be more helpful for them to take out the garbage?” Dr. Saltz asked. “Maybe, but it’s not as much fun. And of course it’s easy for them because they’re Internet savvy,” she continued. “And I think it’s fun for some parents to feel that their child is their friend: ‘Oh, you found that great apartment. That’s cool.’ ”

“I had clients who were looking at places that were under $3 million, and their daughter, a high school junior, went online and found a visually stunning place on the Upper East Side that was $3.5 million,” said a broker who requested anonymity so as not to scuttle a deal in progress. “She got her parents to go look at it and they loved it so much they decided to raise their price point.”

In a few instances, children are doing everything but writing the check. “There are international buyers who want to buy a pied-à-terre or want to buy an apartment for investment purposes, but they’re not familiar with the New York market and don’t speak English very well,” said Bruce Ehrmann, an associate broker with Douglas Elliman Real Estate. “They have their children who are in the United States in boarding school or college do their research for them.”

Elizabeth van Merkensteijn shrugs off such concerns. “You can’t hide the ball on these kids,” she said. “They hear the numbers. We talk about everything in front of everyone. I get it that the air is thin and that it’s rarefied. But it’s the reality of New York City.”

#.0001%problems

Zeppu

The news here is that people who know how to use the internet are better than real estate agents at doing their jobs.

We didn't have internet back in my day. We did it the old fashion way with a real estate agent. Not that we were rich or anything, my parents saved enough to buy a home and I acted as the translator.

SummitAve

Banned
I'm going to continue not consulting children on serious financial decisions.

By savvy the article actually means the lowest amount of effort you can put into house hunting, using Craigslist...

n0razi

<== jealous

The only thing even remotely relatable for me is when I graduated from sharing a bunk bed

I mean I used to daydream about living in fancy houses when I was small and would look at all the listings in magazines and shit, so I can kinda relate? Except for the bazilion dollar price tag part of course.

The news here is that people who know how to use the internet are better than real estate agents at doing their jobs.
I have family members who are in real estate (not baller tier), and it's amazing how few agents really have captured how to use and exploit the internet to their advantage. Nevermind taking absolutely terrible photos of properties. Young people with business savvy are at a huge advantage here.

VARIA

The internet has made it easier to get information and compare on an unprecedented level. Considering youths are the one's making the most of the available tech/info, it's no big surprise.

LJ11

Thought about posting this on Friday when I saw it, ridiculous article. Was laughing throughout. Reads like an Onion piece.

n0razi

I have family members who are in real estate (not baller tier), and it's amazing how few agents really have captured how to use and exploit the internet to their advantage. Nevermind taking absolutely terrible photos of properties. Young people with business savvy are at a huge advantage here.

From my experience the problem with the younger kids us that they have superior technical skills but lack the work ethic and discipline to pound the ground and follouo with clients.

StMeph

I don't know why this isn't relatable. Obviously not at those prices, but the process can be. It's kids being more familiar with the real estate market through the internet than their parents are or have time for, and taking proactive steps to search for suitable properties when the family is looking to relocate or settle somewhere when that's historically been up to parents themselves with an agent.

So the kids know how to use the Internet, and their parents with exorbitant wealth do not. These kids are surely praised for this basic skill, with their parents acting like they are the most brilliant kids in the world. Money and narcissism together is a terrible thing...

Einbroch

Banned
This is about children being helpful in ways that are fun for them.

Yep. Kids know how to use the internet to find the best deals for things and some parents don't. I helped my dad buy his car when I was 15. Saved him a lot of money and he got the car he wanted.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Doesn't this article pretty much boil down to: "kids know how to use the Internet and they like big, fancy, shiny things"?

Wait I read the first story with "Skye" (I think this is a 13 year old boy) and his dad said "son I cannot afford a 14 million dollar apartment."

but then his dad bought it?

OmniGamer

I've seen a few instances of this on HGTV's "Selling New York"...for instance brokers catering their whole open houses towards entertaining the kids of wealthy buyers and hoping to win them over. And one particular case with a couple adamant that they'll only get a place if their son(10 yo or so) likes it. The kid acted very unimpressed with most of the places they went to see, and the agent had to basically kiss his ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom