• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Trump Humiliated Jeff Sessions After Mueller Appointment

chadskin

Shortly after learning in May that a special counsel had been appointed to investigate links between his campaign associates and Russia, President Trump berated Attorney General Jeff Sessions in an Oval Office meeting and said the attorney general should resign, according to current and former administration officials and others briefed on the matter.

The president blamed the appointment of the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, on Mr. Sessions’s decision to recuse himself from the Justice Department’s Russia investigation — a move Mr. Trump believes was the moment his administration effectively lost control over the inquiry. Accusing Mr. Sessions of “disloyalty,” Mr. Trump unleashed a string of insults on his attorney general.

Ashen and emotional, Mr. Sessions told the president he would quit and sent a resignation letter to the White House, according to four people who were told details of the meeting. Mr. Sessions would later tell associates that the president’s demeaning tone was the most humiliating experience in decades of public life.
In the telephone call to Mr. McGahn, Mr. Rosenstein said he had decided to appoint Mr. Mueller to be a special counsel for the investigation. Congress had been putting pressure on Mr. Rosenstein to appoint a special counsel to put distance between the Trump administration and the Russia investigation, and just the day before The New York Times had revealed that Mr. Trump had once asked Mr. Comey to end the F.B.I.’s investigation into Michael T. Flynn, the former national security adviser.

When the phone call ended, Mr. McGahn relayed the news to the president and his aides. Almost immediately, Mr. Trump lobbed a volley of insults at Mr. Sessions, telling the attorney general it was his fault they were in the current situation. Mr. Trump told Mr. Sessions that choosing him to be attorney general was one of the worst decisions he had made, called him an “idiot,” and said that he should resign.

An emotional Mr. Sessions told the president he would resign and left the Oval Office. That evening, as the Justice Department publicly announced the appointment of Mr. Mueller, the attorney general wrote a brief resignation letter to the president that was later sent to the White House. A person familiar with the events raised the possibility that Mr. Sessions had become emotional because the impact of his recusal was becoming clear.

In the hours after the Oval Office meeting, however, Mr. Trump’s top advisers intervened to save Mr. Sessions’s job. Mr. Pence, Stephen K. Bannon, the president’s chief strategist at the time, and Reince Priebus, his chief of staff, all advised that accepting Mr. Sessions’s resignation would only sow more chaos inside the administration and rally Republicans in Congress against the president. Mr. Sessions, a former Alabama senator, served in the Senate for two decades.

The president relented, and eventually returned the resignation letter to Mr. Sessions — with a handwritten response on it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/us/politics/jeff-sessions-trump.html?smid=tw-share

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
On the one hand, it's great to think of that racist fuck being humiliated by an even bigger fool.

On the other hand, this is more evidence of obstruction of justice, so that's also good.

: D

Ecotic

Sessions gave up a lucrative Senate seat with no one to answer to for this shit. Cabinet positions seem to not be worth it unless you didn't have a good job beforehand.

His allies said that despite the humiliation, the attorney general has stayed in the job because he sees a “once-in-a-lifetime” opportunity as the nation’s top law enforcement official to toughen the country’s immigration policies.

"I can't pass up this opportunity to throw as many black and brown people in jail as humanly possible."

giphy.gif

Boke1879

But just think.

All those years of being called a racist NEVER phased sessions. Trump going nuclear on him though?

"most humiliating experience in decades of public life."

But just think.

All those years of being called a racist NEVER phased sessions. Trump going nuclear on him though?

"most humiliating experience in decades of public life."

Personally, I don't think I'd be able to leave the house if CS King wrote a letter to my colleagues telling them I'm too racist to hold a job.

Oh man now I really want Trump to sign DACA legislation as he trotted Sessions out to announce its ending. He was so giddy 😂

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This is two wrongs making a right, isn't it?

Please, keep making each other miserable.

Boke1879

Ya'll realize that if Sessions goes that puts Mueller in more jeopardy right?

I'd rather Sessions not be here to begin with.

Because straight up we're assuming Mueller has something and Trump will be gone at some point.

There's a real possibility nothing happens and we're stuck with Session for 8 years.

I'd rather Sessions not be here to begin with.

Because straight up we're assuming Mueller has something and Trump will be gone at some point.

There's a real possibility nothing happens and we're stuck with Session for 8 years.

To be fair, it's not really assuming that Mueller has something at this point. He definitely does.

Replacement MIGHT have been worse

What are the odds Trump will find someone willing take on the role knowing they are expected to fire Mueller?

(And have a bus backed over them from the inevitable fallout)

The job requirement basically states: "willing to obstruct justice for Trump"

Ya'll realize that if Sessions goes that puts Mueller in more jeopardy right?

As much as I want Trump and his cronies to go down, I'm far more concerned about the Sessions' Justice Department's nonstop assaults on the civil rights of our country's most vulnerable people.

Sessions is an absolute monster. Worse than Trump, quite honestly.

While I have very little faith in Senate Republicans, I am pretty confident at this point in Trump's tenure that anyone worse than Sessions would not be confirmed - and that confirmation would require a commitment under oath that he or she (lol, of course it would be a he) would not interfere in Mueller's investigation.

honestly at this point sessions is basically a necessary evil because his recusal from the Russia investigation is a brick wall between Trump and Mueller.

The exact right point for Sessions to be fired is after Mueller announces his findings. Firing Sessions is a red line for a lot of Republicans, which couldmake them more likely to impeach/convict.

Top Bottom