• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obesity

The Skull

Slow and steady wins the race OP. You need to cultivate a lifestyle that you can do day in and day out, making sure you have enough energy. In regards to diet, try to eat whole foods with few ingredients. lean proteins, healthy fats etc. Don't be too restrictive either, if you "ban" foods then that will create an unhealthy relationship with food.

Biggest mistake I ever made when getting into shape was cutting calories way too much and over exercising. Made me give up after a few weeks despite losing some weight. Focus on sustainability.

stn

Don't do surgery for fucks sake. My cousin did it and, while she looks great, she literally pukes whenever she eats too much. Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps. Start a gradual diet and gradual exercise, you will feel better. My other cousin is addicted to food and it depresses me some times when I think about it.

I might be coming across as harsh but I say it out of care because I've seen the the effects of obesity (this is why I get really pissed when the media pushes the whole "obesity is okay" bullshit. No its fucking not.)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That still has shit in it that makes u fat tho
Don’t know about that. It’s zero calories and only that matters. I’ve been reading on it and there is no proof it makes you fat by itself. People often just drink zero and then overcompensate with other stuff

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Don’t know about that. It’s zero calories and only that matters. I’ve been reading on it and there is no proof it makes you fat by itself. People often just drink zero and then overcompensate with other stuff
It’s the lifestyle that accompanies it. If you’re chasing sweetness in all things then you’ll probably still be overweight because of all your other dietary choices. But yes, zero calories is zero calories.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Grab some weights and find some recipes because diet and exercise makes a meaningful difference.
Exercise always helps but to loose weight, it is only a small percentage compared to just not eating more than your daily basic calories

I've lost 52 lbs since January with just diet and exercise and am very happy where I am now (242 lbs to 190 lbs). Don't take any shortcuts like surgery or pills or whatever -- anyone can do it. Just start slow and work your way up. Make the bigger changes to diet though.

Joramun

Mate. You can do absolutely do it.

I did it myself.

Tips for the gym:
  • Don't go too hard in one day. You're better off being constant weekly.
  • Depending on how tired you get. You can go 2/3 days consecutively, spending an hour or two max. Rest the next day and then repeat.
  • You'll find that you get more energetic as time goes by and you can do more consecutive days
  • I used to do weights for an hour and then go on the tread mill, elliptical or bike machine for another 30/40 mins or do at least 3km (tread mill/elliptical) or 6km (bike).
You'll find your own groove soon enough

Raven117

Lots of good advice on here OP. Ill repeat the same....Because...really...there is so much noise out there to be distracted.

You have identified the problem! Thats a huge first step. All I have to say is take it one step at a time. If you start slamming the gym and restrict calories to 1600 or something like that...woof...thats a big jump.

First, focus on your nutrition. It doesn't have to be perfect. But start figuring out what your average calorie intake is everyday. Identify where you need to make cuts. It does not need to be perfect. At your weight. Even getting in the ball park, the weight will melt off. There are no magic foods. No magic diets. There are foods that will satiate you better than others that may be lighter in calories. Try and find those.

Then...start hitting the gym. Cardio isn't really going to burn enough fat off of you. Don't just spend an hour on the treadmill. Just look at calories burned per mile walked or run...its really not alot. I would focus on some resistance training. If you can keep some muscle (which you have underneath that fat)...while melting off the fat...you are going to be in better shape than if you just wholesale lost all weight possible. Im not saying go out there and start squatting and deadlifting right away. (That probably looks impossible, but it isn't...and you should do these as quick as you can). But mixing in a little cardio (stuff like circuit training...when you are a little more advanced)...with some good solid weight training to help hold on to muscle mass (no more than 3X a day...total body workouts)...then you are going to be happy with the progress you will make.

But again. All of this comes down to nutrition.

OP, you can do it. Lots of other people like you have done it. Its not rocket science. You got this.

Last edited:
Weighing my food has helped a lot. Even though I'm not being as accurate as I could be, it helps to keep in perspective how easy it is to overeat.

Oh man, this was one of the biggest gamechangers for me too! It can be humbling to learn how much (or how little) you actually eat and drink, in comparison to what you think by "eyeballing" or just grabbing whatever you see.

A food scale + the ability to read and understand nutritional labels

Those two are some of the most important tools someone can have for getting their eating and drinking habits under control.
It's surprising just how many people don't understand what the numbers and ingredients on those labels even mean, if they even look at the labels...

Top Bottom