• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion Remastered Road to Release (Skyblivion Roadmap 2023)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Aiming for a 2025 release at the latest

image.png

image.png

image.png

The modding team behind TES IV: Oblivion Remake in Skyrim, Skyblivion, has released a new developer diary for it. In this new video, the team presented some WIP gameplay footage from this highly anticipated project.
This mod will also support both Skyrim Legacy Edition and Skyrim Special Edition.

image.png

Upon release, the remake will be completely modular and as such, players will be able to choose what components they want to install.
This includes all enhancements developed by the team such as its Landscaping, Interior, City, Weapon/Armor overhaul and much more.

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

You just have to wonder why Bethesda never got around to this...even if they farmed it out. Seems like such a no-brainer.
I don't get it either. I don't see why they haven't tried to remake at least Oblivion if not also Morrowind into newer version of engines as some kind of side project. Obviously I think Oblivion would transfer better and more easily I'm sure some things will be lost in Morrowind but I'm still surprised.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
"Remastering" a 17 year old game by using a 10 year old games engine. And won't be done until 2025.

awkward-side-eye.gif
It's entirely fan-made with volunteers. It's a bunch of people working for free, redoing thousands of assets from the ground up, rewriting scripts, redesigning maps, and everything else in their free time. Your comment is not only unnecessary but aggressively stupid in its utter lack of awareness. The video clearly explains why it's taking so long but you didn't watch it.

You just have to wonder why Bethesda never got around to this...even if they farmed it out. Seems like such a no-brainer.
Look at Bethesda's output for one and look at how ridiculously large their games tend to be. They probably can't spare the manpower to do that. Remastering any of their games would be a mammoth task as is.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Aiming for a 2025 release at the latest

image.png

image.png

image.png

The modding team behind TES IV: Oblivion Remake in Skyrim, Skyblivion, has released a new developer diary for it. In this new video, the team presented some WIP gameplay footage from this highly anticipated project.
This mod will also support both Skyrim Legacy Edition and Skyrim Special Edition.

image.png

Upon release, the remake will be completely modular and as such, players will be able to choose what components they want to install.
This includes all enhancements developed by the team such as its Landscaping, Interior, City, Weapon/Armor overhaul and much more.

image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

Considering Skyrim’s engine biggest weaknesses were vegetation (tree rendering quality is the most glaring regression for me), I do not really look forward to any Skyrim engine complete conversion of Oblivion :/.

darrylgorn

I've been really enjoying the Enderall mod and it's the first time I can say a mod is actually better than the base game (Skyrim).

Hopefully this delivers the same kind of performance.

Sentenza

"Remastering" a 17 year old game by using a 10 year old games engine. And won't be done until 2025.

awkward-side-eye.gif
One of the reasons I rarely get excited about these projects.
In this case there's also the aggravating factor that I just don't like the base game they are remaking.

Skifi28

Once upon a time, I was really excited for this. I hope it comes out before TES VI, otherwise I fear nobody will bother playing it and it's a shame seeing the effort that went into it.

StereoVsn

It's entirely fan-made with volunteers. It's a bunch of people working for free, redoing thousands of assets from the ground up, rewriting scripts, redesigning maps, and everything else in their free time. Your comment is not only unnecessary but aggressively stupid in its utter lack of awareness. The video clearly explains why it's taking so long but you didn't watch it.

Look at Bethesda's output for one and look at how ridiculously large their games tend to be. They probably can't spare the manpower to do that. Remastering any of their games would be a mammoth task as is.
This is why a lot of publishers hire outside studio and mainly keep oversight work. MS is certainly large enough for that and hell, they even have other internal studios that could do it.

It's irrational that everything is kept within BethSoft. They should also be farming out New Vegas style spinoffs to other studios. It's crazy that we will have a decade between proper Elder Scrolls and Fallout games (not counting the ESO or Fallout 76 here).

MS as an owner should manage this shit, but instead Phil and Co. are after new shiny.

As for this endeavor, it's an interesting exercise that may never happen. Although OpenMW exists so you never know I guess.

MrStauf

Banned
It would be crazy for MS to leave Fallout on the shelf for 10 years or so when a TV show is right around the corner, hopefully they will insist on sending it out to other devs for New Vegas spin offs etc.

nemiroff

Gold Member
This is why a lot of publishers hire outside studio and mainly keep oversight work. MS is certainly large enough for that and hell, they even have other internal studios that could do it.

MS as an owner should manage this shit, but instead Phil and Co. are after new shiny.

It is worthwhile to mention that Microsoft recently and successfully enganged Asobo Studios (third party) to remake their major Flight Simulator franchise.

Gaiff

Fucking hell, PC modders are beasts

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Crazy how much passion gamers playing the Elder scrolls have for these games after all these years. What a crazy community.
Yep, terrific work. I recently downloaded a modlist for Skyrim and was floored by the quality of the work. Some of the quests and new characters are so well integrated that I sometimes wondered if they weren't just things that I had missed playing vanilla. The dead giveaway is the far far superior voice acting over what Bethesda did which ironically enough makes it obvious that it's modded content. You don't get the same recycled 4-5 voices and the actors actually bother changing tone, pitch, and even the facial expressions are better.

Seeing how much love this is getting, especially compared to disasters like the GTA collection, is honestly wonderful.

The PC mod scene is one of its biggest treasures, and to me, one of the best parts of PC gaming.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Totally agree, but that's also why I mentioned potentially farming it out.

Phase

This post eventually led me to Nehrim (total conversion for Oblivion) and Enderal (total conversion of skyrim). Look these up. They're like whole new games almost, and on steam as official mods.

This is how I'm going to "replay" Oblivion and Skyrim.

Gaiff

This post eventually led me to Nehrim (total conversion for Oblivion) and Enderal (total conversion of skyrim). Look these up. They're like whole new games almost, and on steam as official mods.

This is how I'm going to "replay" Oblivion and Skyrim.
Haven't tried Endereal but did try Nehrim. The beginning was pretty spooky with that troll stalking you in the mines.

kiphalfton

Skyrim already looks outdated as it is. It looks a bit better than oblivion, but they're both very much so PS4/Xbox 360 era games, and so to put effort into such an incremental update (especially because they're not being paid, doesn't make a whole lot of sense).

Would have been better off putting that effort into daggerfall or arena (if they aren't already doing so).

Last edited:

Gaiff

Skyrim already looks outdated as it is. It looks a bit better than oblivion, but they're both very much so PS4/Xbox 360 era games, and so to put effort into such an incremental update (especially because they're not being paid, doesn't make a whole lot of sense).
Except that the mod looks A LOT better than Oblivion and a lot better than Skyrim for that matter. It uses the same engine but very much massively improves upon what Skyrim does. Try vanilla Skyrim and then heavily modded Skyrim with graphics mods and tell me the change isn't worth it. Now imagine Oblivion but with the best Skyrim graphics mods.

As for Daggerfall, it's too old and has aged poorly. Not to mention that it's 95% randomly generated. They would have to change too much stuff and the game would be effectively unrecognizable. No need to call it a remaster. It'd be a full-on remake impossible to tell from the source material.

Ozriel

M$FT

It's irrational that everything is kept within BethSoft. They should also be farming out New Vegas style spinoffs to other studios. It's crazy that we will have a decade between proper Elder Scrolls and Fallout games (not counting the ESO or Fallout 76 here).

As for this endeavor, it's an interesting exercise that may never happen. Although OpenMW exists so you never know I guess.

You realize they just bought Bethesda two years ago? And now they’re laser focused on shipping Starfield?
Blaming Microsoft for Bethesda’s decisions over the past decade is completely irrational.

StereoVsn

You realize they just bought Bethesda two years ago? And now they’re laser focused on shipping Starfield?
Blaming Microsoft for Bethesda’s decisions over the past decade is completely irrational.
Well, we know that ZeniMax/Bethesda won't do this. MS bought them for cool $7+ billion so one would think as part of the "deal" they would try to revive older IP, get a pipeline going.

Reality is MS is super hands off their studios which can be good but also can be pretty bad.

Top Bottom