• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oblivion to be PS3 launch title! ...and a PSP version?

Gattsu25

Banned
xBigDanx said:
What physics???

You mean the physics that turn your body into a rigid corpse every time you jump? You mean the physics that make the creatures react the same every single time you hit them, regardless of where or how?

Oh yeah, you must have meant those physics... such immersion...
Hey dumbass, he said physics not animation

Yoboman

kaching said:
Rather than just doing the conventional "sidestory" angle, during my playtime with Oblivion I've begun to think it'd be cool to be able to use the PSP while on the commute to work to handle some of the "busy work" in Oblivion - make potions, spells, buy/sell items, enchant items, talk to NPCs and queue up quests, etc. Sort of an abridged Oblivion without the exploration or combat (or maybe just arena combat?) that allows you to strictly fast travel to known, non-dungeon locations. The console game would continue to be everything it is now, but then you could put more emphasis on quests and general exploration during your playtime with the console version.

It wouldn't be much of a game per se, rather a game aid.
Why would I want to pay for a PSP game where you need a PS3 and ANOTHER copy of Oblivion for it to work?

Besides, weren't they talking about PSP being able to access PS3 content, sort of as a portable screen/controller? That would work better IMO

This is an interesting situation. If western developers make all of their games multiplatform, and Japanese developers make all non-M$ funded games PS3 exclusive or incredibly shoddy 360 efforts, then the PS3 will win simply by default. The interesting thing is that it has absolutely nothing to do with installed base this time. The PS3 could win this generation console battle simply because devlopers want it that way not because they are going where the money is.

Oblivion sold very well on the X360 but if this is release schedule is true then it was meaningless. The PS3 a console that will have FAR less systems sold by the time this version comes out will STILL get a version. The Japanese gamers wouldn't buy Oblivion anyway so the sales the PS3 gets in Japan aren't a factor.

I recall the XBOX having to prove that it could move software before it could get versions of GTA. PS3 has to simply exist to get a version. I suppose it shows the strength of the SON¥ brand in this industry. I was hoping to see more competition between M$ and SON¥ but it is looking more and more that PS3 will take the crown solely based on a self-fullfiling prophecy. Here's to hoping that M$ can secure ANYTHING other than M$ published titles to be exclusive for their platform.

The Dark One

Razoric

Banned
DarkMage619 said:
This is an interesting situation. If western developers make all of their games multiplatform, and Japanese developers make all non-M$ funded games PS3 exclusive or incredibly shoddy 360 efforts, then the PS3 will win simply by default. The interesting thing is that it has absolutely nothing to do with installed base this time. The PS3 could win this generation console battle simply because devlopers want it that way not because they are going where the money is.

Oblivion sold very well on the X360 but if this is release schedule is true then it was meaningless. The PS3 a console that will have FAR less systems sold by the time this version comes out will STILL get a version. The Japanese gamers wouldn't buy Oblivion anyway so the sales the PS3 gets in Japan aren't a factor.

I recall the XBOX having to prove that it could move software before it could get versions of GTA. PS3 has to simply exist to get a version. I suppose it shows the strength of the SON¥ brand in this industry. I was hoping to see more competition between M$ and SON¥ but it is looking more and more that PS3 will take the crown solely based on a self-fullfiling prophecy. Here's to hoping that M$ can secure ANYTHING other than M$ published titles to be exclusive for their platform.

The Dark One

I just wanna say that i think your use of M$ and SON¥ is awesome.

Razoric

Yoboman

Beowolf said:
Hopefully this trend will continue, Gears of War PS3!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is that even possible? MS are Publishing it right? Would they even be allowed to go through another publisher and get it put on PS3 aswell?:lol

Gattsu25

Banned
Speevy said:
The game doesn't even run on most PCs. If they develop a superior PS3 version, I think the PC gaming community will just throw in the towel.
I'm thinking that the PSP version (if true) isn't even going to be a downgraded port but an entirely different game althogether

This was expected, MS won't be getting "free" exclusives like they did with Xbox (some games couldn't be ported down, like Riddick). There's money to be made on PS3, a port isn't that hard and the two systems are pretty close in power...it was bound to happen. If anything, it gives me more reason to go single platform owner next-gen.

snatches

DarkMage619 said:

Reminds me of a thread I started predicting the death of the third party exclusive. This is why MS and Sony are working hard to secure a large first party presence this gen. MGS4, FF, and DQ are Sony exclusives for now....but a significant presence from 360 in EU and NA might make them go multiplatform in a flash. Stockholders will be eager to see profits with the high cost of development making exclusives a thing of the past.

Oneself

Solid said:
IT BEGINS!

DOA4 next plz.

Who cares, you'll get Tekken and probably Virtua Fighter... and both are much, much better games IMO

Core407 said:
I swear to God, If they get rid of all the loading times and take away the low res textures in the distance, Ill buy a PS3 for this one game.

I swear to God, If they get rid of all the loading times (60g HDD anyone?) , take away the low res textures, and make it run at a better frame rate @ 720p, I'll buy this game a second time.

DarkMage619 said:

The Dark One

Mind explaining the difference between a MS-published exclusive and a third party exclusive? Is it that the latter is more awesome?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DarkMage619 said:
The interesting thing is that it has absolutely nothing to do with installed base this time. The PS3 could win this generation console battle simply because devlopers want it that way not because they are going where the money is.

Ultimately it has got to do with install base/expected sales.

I think Sony's gains here versus PS2, though, are down to having a technically appealing/sufficient system (no more default exclusives on other systems because of a lack of power) and having a slightly easier system to port to, along with the expected market. But yeah, I've noted it before - Sony seems to be in an even better position in terms of broad dev support with PS3 than they were with PS2, as hard as it might be to believe. A lot of western, more PC-centric devs seem to be paying attention to it now, whereas before they may only have stretched to Xbox.

Vibri

Banned
Sony's pushing PS3 <--> PSP inter-operability in a big way, so it's probably a simplified extension of the main PS3 game that you can continue on the road. Also a good way to differentiate from the X360 version. Pretty neat.

Razoric

Banned
Oneself said:
I swear to God, If they get rid of all the loading times (60g HDD anyone?) , take away the low res textures, and make it run at a better frame rate @ 720p, I'll buy this game a second time.

Ranger X

DarkMage619 said:

The Dark One

Maybe just just predicted next-gen. I have to accept your vision as a very probable futur.

Yoboman

DarkMage619 said:

The Dark One
A good translation could see Oblivion doing very well on PS3 in Japan in my opinion. Of course, this is purely speculation - but nobody has ever seen a true WRPG stepping foot in Japan on a popular console. I actually hope it does get released in Japan and does very well, Square Enix should take some real notice of this game :)

Sho Nuff

Banned
I don't know how much work Bethesda does on the actual renderer/engine side. Oblivion is basically the poster child for middleware (SpeedTree, the facial stuff, Havok, Gamebryo), so I'd say the end results will depend on how well Gamebryo's PS3 implementation works and if the code is really as easily portable as they say it is.

edit: I can't see this coming out in Japan because of the ginormous amounts of text and the fact that the Japanese are typically adverse to these types of games. It's just way too open-ended, I think it would tank (despite the fact that there's a cool Japanese Wiki with a lot of translations for the missions).

A coworker was telling me today about how the ability to mangle corpses causes a relatively large ratings problem with the Japanese system, too. Dunno.

I'd love to see it happen tho.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
:lol are all the people saying 'phew, glad i waited' the same people still waiting for their Vista version of Halo 2?

It must hurt to be so close to the cutting edge of gaming.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
The PSP game has to be a spin off, while it is feasible that there is a PS3 version in the pipeline.

I would rather Bethesda spend there time making a proper expansion pack rather then a port.

Solid

_leech_ said:
Umm, am i the only one who doesn't care about Oblivion at all?
I'm with you. Watched the gametrailers video review and that reminded me why I dislike W-RPGs. I just like the Xbots reaction to this :lol

Tat

Banned
This thread is awsome on so many levels. :lol

People jumping to some strange conclusions all over the place.

Do we even know this is true?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yoboman said:
Why would I want to pay for a PSP game where you need a PS3 and ANOTHER copy of Oblivion for it to work?
I doubt what I'm talking about is likely to happen since it wouldn't have much marketability as a standalone product...'course it could be a download for the PSP...on the same disc as the PS3 version of Oblivion.

I'm just blue-skying here. I don't really have time to play two completely separate versions of Oblivion on two separate platforms, so what I'm actually looking for is a way to play one version in some form across multiple platforms

Besides, weren't they talking about PSP being able to access PS3 content, sort of as a portable screen/controller? That would work better IMO
That wouldn't be very viable in a situation where there's no way to wirelessly connect to the PS3, such as when I'm commuting on the train.

Awesome, I was holding off on the 360 version, in the hopes that this would come out on ps3, and it looks like this will happen! I'm VERY curious to see how this runs on ps3. Given how demanding this game is, it should be a good test to see how powerful ps3 really is, assuming they optimize the code and don't do a half ass port.

Unless the PS3 has had a memory upgrade I don't think the PS3 version is going to be a huge upgrade visually over the 360 version unless it is indeed a GOTY edition.

I would expect they'll put any tweaks in that have been learned from the 360 and PC development as early as possible.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
thank you thank you thank you! i was actually going to buy an Xbox360 just to platy Oblivion, but now that PS3 version is coming out i can save myslef a load of money. Since PS3 is just as or even more powerful than 360, maybe some of the long loading times and possibly some other upgrades or improvements:D

Speevy said:
I mean reevaluate when I'm getting another console, I'll have to save up.

Ah, I see.

For me, it just means not worrying about getting a PS3 anytime soon. It's probably going to be too expensive (for me) at first, and this multiplatform thing is going to work both ways. I usually don't get into Japan-centric games, so the PS3 doesn't hold a lot of appeal there. I can wait for the "greatest hits" versions of any other Sony-published stuff which interests me. Not knocking the PS3 by any means, mind you. I'm just not in any hurry to buy $60 games for two next-gen systems, when so far I've been perfectly satisfied with the one I already have.

Solid said:
I'm with you. Watched the gametrailers video review and that reminded me why I dislike W-RPGs. I just like the Xbots reaction to this :lol

What reaction would that be exactly? I have the 360 and have played Oblivion to death, and this semi-announcement does nothing to me. I'm enjoying the game right now, and I think it's great for Bethesda that they can bring their game out on another system. The more money they make, the more likely we are to see expansions and sequels. The fact that the PS3 is getting a version has no impact on my day what's so ever, and I haven't exactly seen anybody screaming that the (X360) sky is falling in this thread.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Well, this news has certainly slowed me down on purchasing a 360. I've been patiently (and painfully) waiting for a nice new hardware revision (and maybe a price drop), but I thought I might have to pull the trigger early to get this game. Too cool.

Wakune said:
Pretty much, why are you in this thread? Just to state your disinterest?

Because i'm a prospective PS3 buyer and this doesn't make me giddy at all. I really don't see what the big deal is. The PSP on the other hand...

Zenith

Banned
I don't think they'll be many changes for the PS3 version. I'm sure there could be, I just don't think Bethesda will put the effort in.

Yoboman

kaching said:
That wouldn't be very viable in a situation where there's no way to wirelessly connect to the PS3, such as when I'm commuting on the train.
True true.

I really don't have the faintest about working my handhelds with wireless, I got my wifi dongle and I leave it there so I'm probably wrong on this one... Don't mobile phones have the ability to create wifi points though?

Top Bottom