• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obsidian on why their Microsoft published XB1 RPG Stormlands got cancelled

Trogdor1123

So you just want sequels is what you're saying?

I'm glad we have Sony putting out games like Until Dawn and The Last Guardian, and Nintendo reinventing Zelda.
No, you are putting words into my mouth to make argument for yourself. I just said I would expect companies to make games where they make money to ensure that they remain in the market. The level of risk they assume is their choice. This may mean super risky games have lower budgets and safer ones have larger. This puts every game in at a chance to make money. Then iterations come from that in whatever way makes sense. Risk shouldn't be discarded, it should be managed carefully

Doffen

Awe did I hurt your plastic box ?

Mircosoft is a shit publisher this generation plain and simple. If you are a pub chasing nothing but pure profit/ next big franchise only then you're in the wrong fucking business.

lol.

Would love to see EA/Activision/Ubisoft/T2 going "Yeah, fuck our investors".

lol.

Just the increasing amount of business ignorance on GAF makes me sigh every year. These are multi-million dollar budgets we're talking about, not some kickstarter $500 funded stuff that's getting gutted by an evil man behind a screen or something.

xabbott

Not really, as the original halo wars flopped.

Flops are relative. Halo Wars didn't seem like an expensive game and if the Halo name alone saves X on marketing it might work out.

I love Obsidian but they do seem to have strange history with publishers and budget/time. As in never getting enough.

Cerium

Sony stubbornly backs titles like The Last Guardian which cannot possibly ever recoup its budget, and they're handing a black check to Kojima for a game that they also will probably never turn a profit on. Gravity Rush also seems financially suspect.

Nintendo funds games like Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Codename STEAM, the whole Xenoblade series, and really countless niche titles that are all probably big money losers.

Microsoft does not do this. You can debate the merits of that, but I think they are objectively more cautious and conservative than the other first parties and quicker to give up on anything that doesn't seem like a sure thing.

jaypah

Considering I don't really know the majority of this story (and one side is completely unspoken for) all I can say is "interesting". MS needs to strengthen it's exclusive stable for sure but I don't know which games were pulled for a good reason and which ones would have been a hit. I wouldn't be surprised if this would have turned out good considering the dev.

allan-bh

Microsoft does not do this. You can debate the merits of that, but I think they are objectively more cautious and conservative than the other first parties and quicker to give up on anything that doesn't seem like a sure thing.

They paid for Sunset Overdrive.

Cranster

Banned
Not really, as the original halo wars flopped.
No it didn't. It wasn't a huge blockbuster like the mainline Halo games, but it still sold well over a million copies in it's first month and is still the fastest selling console RTS game of all time. It was also critically well received.

Lee

Serious question as the collective memory here is much better than my own. Did MS take more risks in the past? Have they just become more conservative due to their position vs. the PS4 these days?

Outrun

Champion also translates to "someone with sufficient leadership/influence at the publisher side who are willing to put their neck on the line to carry a mismanaged/over-budget project they believe in to the finish line."

That sounds like it also...

Cranster

Banned
Serious question as the collective memory here is much better than my own. Did MS take more risks in the past? Have they just become more conservative due to their position vs. the PS4 these days?
Yup, Microsoft invested alot in various IP's, developers, and Japanese games with the original Xbox and Xbox 360. Most of them flopped and even with various high profile Japanese developers creating new IP's with Microsoft they were unable to crack the Japanese market. I do agree that Microsoft is wasting some opportunities by sitting on IP's that could turn a profit if done right (Perfect Dark/Conker/other Rare IP's). But understandably Microsoft doesn't want to throw around blank cheques to every developer due to past flops.

jaypah

Yes. Probably up until they were able to ride that 3rd party/Kinect money train. They haven't done as much since then though you get something like Sunset Overdrive or Sea Of Thieves here and there.

Champion also translates to "someone with sufficient leadership/influence at the publisher side who are willing to put their neck on the line to carry a mismanaged/over-budget project they believe in to the finish line."

More like someone who understands the realities of the cost of hiring some of the most intelligent people to produce games in some of the moSt expensive parts of the world to live in. Everyone loves to blame it on mismanagement when they don't understand high level video game development has shitty pay for an extremely high level of technical ability in parts of the world that are expensive ad shot to live in. I'm talking people making 70-80k a year when they could be working at Amazon for 150k+ a year because they are passionate about their job.

Then you get 80 percent of the public complaining that 60 dollars is just too much to pay for a game in 2016 when a game released on 1993 adjusted for inflation would cost 160 dollars plus. Why people even bother to work in the video game industry us a fucking riddle to me.

theWB27

Yup, Microsoft invested alot in various IP's, developers, and Japanese games with the original Xbox and Xbox 360. Most of them flopped and even with various high profile Japanese developers creating new IP's with Microsoft they were unable to crack the Japanese market.

This is lost on so many people its not funny.

wapplew

One game cancelled, the other get funded. It's not like MS studio sit on all the creative funding and do nothing about it.

Some of the all time most successful games ever made were at one time in line to be cancelled. Sometimes taking a risk does pay off, fighting that the audience will enjoy the product even if the suits don't understand why.

It's never simple and decisions are never made lightly but things like "crap reveals" are things only the most intense fans get worked up over, not those who make business decisions.

I definitely get that. By definition, if it's considered a risk obviously the ones that end up being successful are the minority, or else we wouldn't call it a "risk". Businesses sometimes take risks, but again more often than not, they'll choose the safe choice.

Scalebound never looked good in any of it's reveals which is very problematic given that reveals usually show off the very best parts of the game, and often hides some of the weaker parts. What was shown looked like the "bad" parts of a game, namely the repetitive and boring nature of the combat, which for a game like that was basically everything. Cancelling that made sense from a business perspective. You can never say never, but I think that's about as close as it could get to a straight out stinker.

As for the Obsidian game, nobody saw hair nor hide of that game. We literally have no idea about the quality. To second guess people who had probably seen the game from concept art to whatever they had 7 months in, is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. I'm not saying the game was good or bad, but it's likely the people at MS who were in charge of this knew better than us, wouldn't you agree?

shoreu

Exactly any good project needs this.

Theorry

Think all of them did take more "risks" back in the day. As games were alot cheaper to develop. The first Gears budget was 12 million 2 and 3 were already 5 times more then that and for example Gears 4 is over 100 million.

dude

dude
Bethesda should have just bought Obsidian years ago. Fuck it, have them making off-year Elder Scrolls and Fallout games like Treyarch did with Call of Duty.

Absolutely disgusting.jpg

Anyway, at least we got Pillars and Tyranny out of this whole fiasco :\

How did Tyranny end up turning out?

Overall I'd say it's great. It has some flaws, but it gets some things amazingly right. I'd heartly recommend it to anyone who liked Pillars or CRPGs in general.

LordRaptor

As for the Obsidian game, nobody saw hair nor hide of that game. We literally have no idea about the quality. To second guess people who had probably seen the game from concept art to whatever they had 7 months in, is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. I'm not saying the game was good or bad, but it's likely the people at MS who were in charge of this knew better than us, wouldn't you agree?

Well it eventually came out on PC, so people can decide for themselves how good a call it was.

Some Nobody

Eh. Not the last game MS would cancel. They definitely take risks tho---MS has had quite a few first-party titles this gen, they've just had the unfortunate luck of canceling so many high-profile games. I think Sea of Thieves is safe, though.

kswiston

Think all of them did take more "risks" back in the day. As games were alot cheaper to develop. The first Gears budget was 12 million 2 and 3 were already 5 times more then that and for example Gears 4 is over 100 million.

I think that the quoted budget for the first Gears was manipulated by splitting off all of the Unreal 3 engine costs. So basically, it was $12M after they got their engine (and probably a lot of assets) working. Epic gets to show off an amazing looking game for the time and quote a really reasonable price to those looking to license their game engine.

Gears 2 and 3 were probably more honest price tags for a game of that level.

Between this and Scalebound, it seems Microsoft will only publish games that will be a guaranteed money maker.
If this is the case, and much as I dislike the cancellation of Scalebound, it seems it was indeed never gonna be profitable, so as a business decision, MS is in the right.

joecanada

It's almost as if they're running a business or something.

although this is quite true and possibly even smart I can almost guarantee that Sony didn't want to make TLG, maybe Shenmue.... that particular e3 looked very much like a company trying to win consumers over not just looking at bottom dollar.

p.s. - it appears to have worked.

m_dorian

It is MS's money so they can do whatever they want with them.

However, sometimes it is best to lose some on order to win something else. Having a prominent RPG developer make an exclusive RPG for your gaming environment might not make money but it would definitely gain some prestige.

It is not like if their Obsidian funding would have made the XB department go broke or something.
MS should have dared.

EvB

No it didn't. It wasn't a huge blockbuster like the mainline Halo games, but it still sold well over a million copies in it's first month and is still the fastest selling console RTS game of all time. It was also critically well received.

It's not a question of how it was positioned or what the quality of the game was, don't take this as a criticism. I've still got my day one ruber armpatch from the LE.

1 million copies of a game in a whole year of sales is probably coming close to only just breaking even.
If Halo Wars had have been considered a great financial success, then we woudn't have had to wait 8 years for a sequel.

Lee

That makes sense. So the risks are just higher these days. Coupled with the Xbox division being a bit back on their heels.

Sony stubbornly backs titles like The Last Guardian which cannot possibly ever recoup its budget, and they're handing a black check to Kojima for a game that they also will probably never turn a profit on. Gravity Rush also seems financially suspect.

Nintendo funds games like Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Codename STEAM, the whole Xenoblade series, and really countless niche titles that are all probably big money losers.

ehrm what about D4, Sunset Overdrive, Recore, Ori, among others?

ResoRai

Tell me a publisher that's taking a bigger risk than them this year?

A RTS game for console, Sea of Thieves, and Crackdown 3, a game which is banking on a entire new tech, and it's a sequel to the second game which was made in one year and bombed sales and critics wise.

And they had Scalebound, which was an open world action rpg with coop, something no one else have done yet.

Yeah, Scalebound was cancelled, but you can't say it wasn't risky to invest on that game, or others.
Good points, and calling out Crackdown here, is it not the biggest technical advancement of this gen? If they could pull it off I mean. I hope they do. I always wanted to see a Battlefield game with deeper destruction. Not that it will if this works out, but you know.

You can make a point without labeling or name calling, you know...
He acts the same way in all the threads I've seen him in. Got that snarky snark.

Cranster

Banned
It's not a question of how it was positioned or what the quality of the game was, don't take this as a criticism. I've still got my day one ruber armpatch from the LE.

1 million copies of a game in a whole year of sales is probably coming close to only just breaking even.
If Halo Wars had have been considered a great financial success, then we woudn't have had to wait 8 years for a sequel.
Had nothing to do with it's sales. You have to look at how Microsoft's focus changed to Kinect and with Ensemble being shutdown after the game was completed they had no internal studios to handle a sequel. 343 Industries was just starting up and beginning work on Halo 4 in 2009 aswell which meant nobody to oversee development. So yeah, of course a Halo Wars sequel was never top priority 8 years ago.

Got to have that one sided "Fuck Microsoft" discussion. Might as well go to Twitter and live in the PlaySation Nation echo chamber.

Given the speed with which those who love to hate Microsoft swoop in on ANY Microsoft related thread, it's not completely unsurprising. You people are relentless in your pursuit to tear down this corporate identity that doesn't care for you in order to better the image of another corporate identity that doesn't care for you.

Coming from you of all people?

You can make a point without labeling or name calling, you know...

He can't.

truth hurt ?

lol.

how many games did they cancel this gen ?

LilZippa

Maybe we should just trust MS to know better on this one? Seeing as how none of us have even seen this game? I mean even with Scalebound when all of us saw how crap the reveals were and MS's decision was still questioned, I guess I shouldn't expect that from people.

From what we know they are also interfering in the process a lot and they are forcing things that the developers didn't intend thus driving the cost up only to tell them it is too expensive after demanding things they want.

Top Bottom