• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Octopath Traveler [OT] Eight for one, one for eight

Shaqazooloo

What about monster hp or some codex?
I think one of the characters has a skill that lets you see monster hp and the colour of the names underneath the monsters is an indication of how much health they have left (White means close to full, Yellow means half way done and red means almost dead).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think one of the characters has a skill that lets you see monster hp and the colour of the names underneath the monsters is an indication of how much health they have left (White means close to full, Yellow means half way done and red means almost dead).
It’s Cyrus who has that ability.

Chittagong

Gold Member
About 10h in, just about to finish the last Chapter 1 of the 8 characters. But now I am at bit of a loss on how to approach the game. Should I pick my core 4 and complete their Chapter 2, 3, the game? Or keep swapping and do all the chapters for all characters?

Last edited:

Graciaus

I feel like the game is way to easy if you do all eight characters. Going through chapter 3 and haven't had any problems in the game except when I wondered into lv45 areas.

I think the thief is useless in battle outside of having great evasion. But he has the 2 most useful skills in the game so you really can't take him out of the party. The challenge guy is op and obliterates everything. The dancer at first I regretted picking but once you can subclass and you get some decent equipment she is a monster mage. I also use the sorcerer since his weakness reveal is nice along with his normal set of spells. I really liked the merchant girl but there's no room for her.

Fuz

Banned
So, I just started playing. Cute graphics, although I don't like the blurring/vignetting. Music is good so far (just started).
I like the combat, although they could have put a few fucking animations.

I chose the thief. I just left the first city. The story is preposterous and STUPID up to this point. OH NOES THE BRACELET!!1!٭ who the fuck wrote this shit? Please tell me it gets better.

٭And why the fuck didn't the butler just go himself to get the ruby stone, since he knew perfectly were it was?

P.S.
Fuck whoever decided it was a good idea to have to keep a button pressed for running.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
So, I just started playing. Cute graphics, although I don't like. the blurring/vignetting. Music is good so far (just started).
I like the combat, although they could have put a few fucking animations.

I chose the thief. I just left the first city. The story is preposterous and STUPID up to this point. OH NOES THE BRACELET!!1! who the fuck wrote this shit? Please tell me it gets better.
The graphics didn't tip you off that you're headed into a 16-bit JRPG homage?

Vawn

Banned
One of my favorite games in a long time. Give us a spiritual successor SE (and not a cellphone game).

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
The story is endearing... and totally boilerplate JRPG fare. That's what I enjoyed about it, especially because it never drags on too long.

Yeah the individual stories are great, even though weird once the characters team up and mostly ignore each other.

Some of the opening scenes are better than others. Primrose, for example, had a strong opening sequence.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah the individual stories are great, even though weird once the characters team up and mostly ignore each other.

Some of the opening scenes are better than others. Primrose, for example, had a strong opening sequence.
Primrose and Hannit are probably the two strongest stories, IMO. And you're right: the characters don't interact nearly as much as the cast did in the dev's previous Bravely Default (where there's a Party Chat several times per Main Story quest, to say nothing of the sidequests). I wish there was more conversation between them, but the ones that are included are pleasant. Like I said, it's endearing boilerplate JRPG fare.

Shifty1897

I've said this before, but it's infuriating that mechanically, graphically and audibly it's one of the greatest JRPG's ever made, and then the narrative design shits the bed.

I still love the game and got the true ending. Hopefully they'll hire Yoshitaka Murayama to write a true sequel.

mcz117chief

I've said this before, but it's infuriating that mechanically, graphically and audibly it's one of the greatest JRPG's ever made, and then the narrative design shits the bed.

I still love the game and got the true ending. Hopefully they'll hire Yoshitaka Murayama to write a true sequel.
Well, I must say I really enjoy the personal stories. I recently played part 2 of Ophilia's story and it was very emotional.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

I find the stories and characters to be utterly boring and that's the main reason I haven't been able to finish playing the game. Without any narrative to keep me going, the game just felt like a chore to play.

Exentryk

The writing is up and down in this. In some instances it is really poor, while some are really well written. But overall, as the other aspects of the game are top notch (combat, music, exploration, towns, etc), it ends up being good.

Can't wait to see the next game from this studio. Highly anticipating Bravely 3rd.

ROMhack

It's kinda amazing to me how many people don't like the game. It had nothing but unanimous praise on release and it seems weird looking back.

I guess it was the PC version expanding it to non-Switch players (I personally played it on Switch).

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
- Is there any use for the "fetches an X price if sold" items or they're just trash?

- Any infinite beast tameable? Or are they all limited in use?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
- Is there any use for the "fetches an X price if sold" items or they're just trash?

- Any infinite beast tameable? Or are they all limited in use?
Any item with that description is meant to be sold. The game won't let you sell quest-specific items.

If I catch your meaning, taming beasts is like acquiring a limited-use summon for that specific beast. There are no infinite beast summons other than H'aanit's snow leopard, Linde.

Reactions: Fuz

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's kinda amazing to me how many people don't like the game. It had nothing but unanimous praise on release and it seems weird looking back.

I guess it was the PC version expanding it to non-Switch players (I personally played it on Switch).
I really, really wanted to like it. It was the first game I bought for the Switch, and it's one of the biggest disappointments for me this gen.

I absolutely love the combat system and graphical style, but the story, characters, and repetitive chapter structure just brought everything down for me. I honestly believe if this game had released on all 4 major platforms at once, it wouldn't have been as widely praised as it was initially.

The studio constantly has an issue with narratives in their games, so I don't understand why they haven't made any steps to correct it.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I really, really wanted to like it. It was the first game I bought for the Switch, and it's one of the biggest disappointments for me this gen.

I absolutely love the combat system and graphical style, but the story, characters, and repetitive chapter structure just brought everything down for me. I honestly believe if this game had released on all 4 major platforms at once, it wouldn't have been as widely praised as it was initially.

The studio constantly has an issue with narratives in their games, so I don't understand why they haven't made any steps to correct it.

Yeah, it punishes the player for playing the game in a certain way (ie not leveling up all characters in the right way).

That level of micro-management isn't particularly novel for an RPG but the payoff isn't good enough as half of the stories are a bit crap.

Unsure what it was going for really. Some people like it, but many more people I've spoken to gave up on it 20 hours in.

Fuz

Banned
Any item with that description is meant to be sold. The game won't let you sell quest-specific items.
Of course not quest specific, but maybe you can use one of those to get some hidden weapon or other secret.

Anyway, I've got 3 character stories now (Thief, Hunter, Apothecary) and I'm about to get the 4th (dancer). I'm not sure if I'm liking it or not. I like the art direction. I enjoy the combat, although I'm not crazy about it and how low the mana is. I detest the blurring/vignetting, makes everything hard to see, like paths in maps. Dueling is stupid as fuck (beating up everyone in every city without any reason or consequences? For real?) and COULD be as useless as it seem, but I keep beating everyone just because you never know, there might be some secret, which makes it a huge waste of time and it's curbing my enjoyement. The whole reputation system is dumb and promotes save scumming. Writing, so far, is all over the place, from IDIOTIC (the aforementioned thief beginning) to decent, but I don't think it will ever shine.

Xeaker

I just finished the game, don't feel like doing the true ending anymore, but overall I think the game is only average. The beginning starts strong but it gets very dull around midway.
Dungeons are pretty bland and many look like the same.
5/10

Fuz

Banned
Got all the characters and currently doing the Thief's quest. I think I need to farm to be able to kill the boss, but I DON'T WANNA. Farming xp here is slow and boring as fuck.

This game is a huge disappointment for me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Got all the characters and currently doing the Thief's quest. I think I need to farm to be able to kill the boss, but I DON'T WANNA. Farming xp here is slow and boring as fuck.

I personally never once grind in this game, If you try match level for each chapter the boss fights became waaay too easy. In opinion Octopath has one of the best turn based combat system.

greyshark

Farming is definitely not required in this game and I believe it was intentionally designed to not require it. With the right tactics you should be able to beat enemies well above the recommended level. If you're doing Chapter 2 stories make sure to unlock the secondary jobs, those open up the battle system quite a bit.

MagnesG

Banned

I'll say it again many many times, this is not a typical JRPG where levels are important, you only have to master the break and boost system accompanied with adequate weapons to deal huge damage. What you need to farm are OP WEAPONS - go explore for that, and learn to juggle the boosts and break between the turns along the way.

The game's not brilliant in many kinds of aspect, but the battle system is not one of them where killing the bosses becomes hard. That's bullshit and you're just doing it wrong.

MagnesG

Banned
My friend who already finished the game some time ago says this is bullshit.
Lol then he must have been playing it wrong since :messenger_tears_of_joy:. That's just sad on so many levels, how did he beat the secret boss without learning the tricks and just grinding for experience? Did he really finish the game?

If he really does then it's not weird if he hates it.

Last edited:

greyshark

My friend who already finished the game some time ago says this is bullshit.

What are you intending to get out of farming? Where are you struggling on your current boss fight? Too low HP? Not doing enough damage? Have you unlocked any secondary jobs yet?

Fuz

Banned
What are you intending to get out of farming? Where are you struggling on your current boss fight? Too low HP? Not doing enough damage? Have you unlocked any secondary jobs yet?
Thief act 2 boss. Getting killed too easy & not doing enough damage. Unlocked sage and priest. Sure as hell I need more levels. But I'm done with the game, can't find the will to go back to it.

greyshark

Thief act 2 boss. Getting killed too easy & not doing enough damage. Unlocked sage and priest. Sure as hell I need more levels. But I'm done with the game, can't find the will to go back to it.

The thief has the ability to break armor and power of your enemies - this helps immensely with survival and burst damage once you’ve broken them. With two sages (assuming you’re bringing Cyrus) you should be able to quickly break the henchman. With two priests (assuming you’re bringing Ophelia) you should have enough healing. At the start of my game I mostly relied on Olberic to be my damage dealer - one of the first skills you can unlock with him does decent damage fully boosted.

Chapter 2 does start out a bit tough before you unlock all the secondary jobs, but it really opens up once you do (or at least have enough for everyone). No big deal obviously if the game is not for you - in general when you’re stuck, grinding is not the answer.

Lanrutcon

Don't listen to him. Grind. Grind like a mother. Farm cash, go to every town in the world (the further away from the middle of the map the town the better shit is sold there). Take the merchant and buy every piece of gear you can from the NPCs. Some have stat ups, some have great gear for 45kish, some have endgame gear for 70kish. By grinding for the cash you'll get a crapton of levels, and that combined with the super gear will turn your party into monsters. At around level 50 you can go kill the optional bosses for the advanced jobs, which are frankly stupidly good.

And then the world is your oyster.

Playing this game in the sequence it wants you to is like loading up Skyrim and doing the main quest. You could...but why be a pleb when you can become a god?

• LOL
Reactions: Fuz

greyshark

Don't listen to him. Grind. Grind like a mother. Farm cash, go to every town in the world (the further away from the middle of the map the town the better shit is sold there). Take the merchant and buy every piece of gear you can from the NPCs. Some have stat ups, some have great gear for 45kish, some have endgame gear for 70kish. By grinding for the cash you'll get a crapton of levels, and that combined with the super gear will turn your party into monsters. At around level 50 you can go kill the optional bosses for the advanced jobs, which are frankly stupidly good.

And then the world is your oyster.

Playing this game in the sequence it wants you to is like loading up Skyrim and doing the main quest. You could...but why be a pleb when you can become a god?

The guy is tired of grinding at the start of chapter 2, and your recommendation is to set him on a 40 hour journey of grinding?

Grinding is of course an option for all RPG’s, but Octopath in particular does not require it (and IMO would not be any fun at all to play that way).

Lanrutcon

The guy is tired of grinding at the start of chapter 2, and your recommendation is to set him on a 40 hour journey of grinding?

Grinding is of course an option for all RPG’s, but Octopath in particular does not require it (and IMO would not be any fun at all to play that way).

This is WEAKNESS talking. You want to be heroes? you want to go on a lovely adventure with your bestest ever friends in a magical world of wonder?

NO. FUCK THAT.

You want to surgically craft a squad of grade A murderers that brutally demolish everything. You want to kick Omega Weapon in the nuts and watch it bleed to death through its crotch. You want to headbutt Kefka so hard that earthquakes destroy the planet. You don't just want to beat the game. YOU WANT TO DESTROY EVERYTHING IT HOLDS DEAR AND PEE ON THE CORPSES.

Grind. And don't stop until the damage cap is crying.

I think we play JRPGs differently, you and I.

MagnesG

Banned
This is WEAKNESS talking. You want to be heroes? you want to go on a lovely adventure with your bestest ever friends in a magical world of wonder?

NO. FUCK THAT.

You want to surgically craft a squad of grade A murderers that brutally demolish everything. You want to kick Omega Weapon in the nuts and watch it bleed to death through its crotch. You want to headbutt Kefka so hard that earthquakes destroy the planet. You don't just want to beat the game. YOU WANT TO DESTROY EVERYTHING IT HOLDS DEAR AND PEE ON THE CORPSES.

Grind. And don't stop until the damage cap is crying.

I think we play JRPGs differently, you and I.
Lol then it’s better to just save scum steal from OP NPCs. Grind is a massive waste of time in this game, unlike JRPGs in general.

Top Bottom