• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

ISee

Was just talking with a co worker about the OR and he claims that it is using two oled screens. Is that true?

UnrealEck

Yeah sure. I honestly thought CV1 would be 4k. Surly samsung have 4k mobile screens ready to go. If people are saying this is a premium expensive experience then let's go all in man.

The system requirements to run games in 4K at decent VR framerates would be way too high.
Maybe some time in the future. If they did do 4K now, most of the games would be graphically crippled due to astronomical graphics processing requirements. I imagine it'd probably be worse than the graphics PSVR will have if they had 4K on a GTX 970 requirement budget.

Resolution may not be everything but it is the main contributer to a proper experience. Most people I've shown gear vr too have said why is it blury. These are average non tech people.
And the answer is not just because the resolution is too low. The Gear VR has an inferior display in terms of refresh, pixel fill, global update, and low persistence. It has inferior lenses, with no physical IPD adjustment. The phone has inferior overall performance in terms of latency and rendering quality. It has no positional tracking. And so on.

All of these things contribute in part to why Gear VR is blurry, and you are underestimating the impact of all of these things functioning at a higher quality.

Yeah sure. I honestly thought CV1 would be 4k. Surly samsung have 4k mobile screens ready to go. If people are saying this is a premium expensive experience then let's go all in man.
Such screens don't exist at the performance level required for VR.

Was just talking with a co worker about the OR and he claims that it is using two oled screens. Is that true?
Yes.

Rosur

Yea its using 2 custom OLED screens (which is one of the main reason for the high price). PS VR will only be using 1 screen from the looks of things.

buenoblue

Start a VR game on the Gear VR and then pull the unit out of the headset and see how much of a border there is between the two views, and on the sides of the two views. The two display setup the CV1 is using ensures less wasted space on the screen. Now does that mean the views have more pixels than the Gear VR? It's hard to say, but it's going to be closer than the raw numbers suggest because way more of that 1440p panel is wasted than with the rift.

Blurryness also comes from a lower framerate. Your head is moving around when you are using VR. The higher the framerate, the less it blurs as you turn your head. Blurryness also comes from the optics... the more off center things get.. the blurrier. The CV1 is meant to have better optics. Blurryness also comes from chromatic aberration. The GearVR doesn't have the power to pre adjust for chromatic aberration like a PC does.

That said, I don't think the Gear VR is *blurry* although I admit an average person might use that term to describe it's resolution. Are you sure they didn't forget to adjust the focus on the thing before using it?

Very good points that I didn't consider. I don't know now. It seems so expensive for what it is, especially that the pc is doing the processing.

DieH@rd

Banned
knipseldxsf8.png

https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/684824384268156928

HE NEEDS TO FUCKING STOP TALKING!

ps4pricing.jpg

ISee

Yes, one for each eye.

That sounds like a more significant improvement then just going for higher resolution screens (didn't like the DK2 image quality at all).

Fuck now I'm tempted again and I swore to myself to not buy it for 741€.... ahhhhh.

Ovek

7Member7
Sony are prepared to sell the PS4 at a loss. Oculus are selling at the point they break even. Expecting them to sell at a loss in Europe because of European taxes... well it's a bit much.

I don't get the moaning about the UK price at least... I thought it was quite reasonable when compared to the American price.

Rosur

Reading through Palmer's AMA has made me put a preorder down... Though shipping date is June so not sure If I'll keep it depending on what Vive and PS VR announce for price.

buenoblue

Does anyone have pictures of the screens in cresent bay and there layout compared to single screen solutions such as gear vr. Plus viewable resolution comparison of 2 screens vs 1.

UnrealEck

ps4pricing.jpg
He didn't say anything about PlayStation 4. Am I misunderstanding the reference?
Reading through Palmer's AMA has made me put a preorder down... Though shipping date is June so not sure If I'll keep it depending on what Vive and PS VR announce for price.

Vive details will probably be coming more to light very soon. I read something about an April pre-order target here on the forums. By then you'll have a lot more to go on to make a decision.
I'm in the same boat. Albeit with a sooner Rift ship date.

trixx

Considering the tech I don't think it's too bad and to be honest I was thinking it would cost a bit more.

Probably single males with the disposable income to buy a beefy pc or already has a nice pc would buy this. From my perspective the demographic for this product is quite limited.

PSVR if priced well, could get some decent sales. Because the entirety of it would be more consumer friendly.

Still despite the praise and comments from others who've tried it, i'm still not too interested in it. Getting people interested will also be tough

ISee

How much is the tax rate you have to add to get the 'real' U.S. price atm and how much is shipping in the U.S.?

DryvBy

Here's the thing I'm not understanding: why are we forced to buy an Xbox controller and gyro set just to use the unit? Is the Xbox controller because of the partnership with Microsoft from E3 last year?

It seems removing these would lower the price to near $400-$450, which I find very reasonable.

UnrealEck

Here's the thing I'm not understanding: why are we forced to buy an Xbox controller and gyro set just to use the unit? Is the Xbox controller because of the partnership with Microsoft from E3 last year?

It seems removing these would lower the price to near $400-$450, which I find very reasonable.

Palmer said that the controller costs very little for them to bundle.
What's the gyro set?

How much is the tax rate you have to add to get the 'real' U.S. price atm and how much is shipping in the U.S.?
It depends on the state where it is ordered from - each state in the U.S. has a different sales tax, some have no tax at all. Because of that, they aren't figuring taxes into the price until it ships (but when they do, sales taxes are usually somewhere between, 7% and 10%). Oculus is charging $30 for shipping, so pre-tax the U.S. price is $629.

ps4pricing.jpg

Using today's exchange rates:
PS4
$399 x 0.69 x 1.2 = £330. So less than the £349 we were charged. Not massively so, but we were charged more than just the additional 20% VAT.

Rift
$599 x 0.69 x 1.2 = £495. So £4 less, but the expected marginal bump to a typical price point.

He's right.

Where I live it's 6%, in Delaware there is no sales tax. I'm not sure the highest since in some areas both the state and municipality charge sales tax but it appears to top out around 11% from a quick glance.

Also, the PS4 picture, in 2012 the euro was much higher vs the usd.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
You guys going "OMFG the price is astronomically high, blah blah blah....", DO know that the PS3 also had an incredibly high price and yet it still sold like hotcakes, right?

There are a lot of people, including myself, that feel that price is almost never a factor in the things we want, providing it's something that is within our grasp. I probably make less than a lot of you and yet I'm still so ecited about VR that I won't even blink an eye over whether to get a Rift or not. I'm getting one regardless. It could have been $2000USD and I'd still get one.

But then again I'm just *little* crazier than some of you, since I'm about to spend $5,000USD on a force feedback steering wheel, and $1400USD on a set of foot pedals xD

Worked through the day/took a nap thinking about whether or not I wanted to preorder it.

Went ahead and put my order in; June is a good for me since I imagine most of the initial hiccups/drivers will be sorted out.

Also, their program said my i7-3770K is not up to par for VR (along with my usb 3.0 ports which I will rectify with a pcie card since I have no open ports anyway). Understandable since it is a few years old now, but hopefully it isn't a huge bottleneck. Scored 17912 on that firemark 3d benchmark so hopefully I am good.

Alx

You guys going "OMFG the price is astronomically high, blah blah blah....", DO know that the PS3 also had an incredibly high price and yet it still sold like hotcakes, right?

Not really, most people consider its high price is a big factor in its slow start and the increased competition from the 360, while before its anouncement it was a given that Sony would dominate the generation. Some even agreed with the infamous "The PS3 would sell even if it had no games".

dumbo

Palmer said that the controller costs very little for them to bundle.

It probably does, so does the case, so does that fancy IR camera stand, and the curvy design of the headset, and the headphones, and using IR rather than visual... and...

If they had actually tried to control the costs, the headset would probably be nearer $400.

I think Oculus have a wonderful design team, but have no idea what they're doing commercially.

Hete's Palmer Luckey's answer from last night's AMA:

Palmer Luckey said:
The Xbox controller costs us almost nothing to bundle, and people can easily resell it for profit. A lot of people wish we would sell a bundle without “useless extras” like high-end audio, a carrying case, the bundled games, etc, but those just don’t significantly impact the cost. The core technology in the Rift is the main driver - two built-for-VR OLED displays with very high refresh rate and pixel density, a very precise tracking system, mechanical adjustment systems that must be lightweight, durable, and precise, and cutting-edge optics that are more complex to manufacture than many high end DSLR lenses

Luq

ehh... it's not the fact most people can't afford it (ofc they can), but with prize that high no one wants to make a "blind shot". Tech is amazing but everything comes down to the software...

Do I really want to spend 700 euros (Poland) + probably taxes on something that may not even have anything interesting on it for about a year? The answers is pretty obvious.

HTC Vive is even more impressive with visuals, wondering about their prize...

gaming_noob

PS4
$399 x 0.69 x 1.2 = £330. So less than the £349 we were charged. Not massively so, but we were charged more than just the additional 20% VAT.

Rift
$599 x 0.69 x 1.2 = £495. So £4 less, but the expected marginal bump to a typical price point.

He's right.

Love this.

PS4

Rift

He's right.
1) You can't use today's exchange rate for a price announced well over 2 years ago. The rate in 2013 when PS4 price was announced actually lowers the relative £ cost.
2) Your price isn't based on the exchange rate of the day. You have to know the markets and analyse where you think a currency is headed. You can't just price it based on the rates when you launch otherwise you will be constantly changing your price if things take a turn for the worse. Something we have actually seen done a few times recently, PS+ for example has been readjusted in a few markets.

You have to add a buffer in if you think there's good potential for changes to rates.

So yes, the Rift is fairly priced, but pointing to the PS4 isn't valid.

HTC Vive is even more impressive with visuals
By most accounts (and on paper) they're very similar. If anything, I've seen more positive words towards the Rift, although that could be because it has remained a step ahead of the Vive in terms of being consumer-ready, so the hardware was more likely to give the better first impression at each showing.

artsi

Every time I step into the thread there's many people who don't really understand VAT and customs. The European price is very close to the $599 + VAT (23% in Ireland) so it's not that unfair.

For the same reason in Finland we pay 50,000€ for a Mustang that costs $25,000 in the US. I need to complain to the government to fix that, not Ford.

ISee

It depends on the state where it is ordered from - each state in the U.S. has a different sales tax, some have no tax at all. Because of that, they aren't figuring taxes into the price until it ships (but when they do, sales taxes are usually somewhere between, 7% and 10%). Oculus is charging $30 for shipping, so pre-tax the U.S. price is $629.

Thank you.

Let's look at the worst case tax scenario then:
599$ + ~10% tax + 30$ = 690$ (rounded up).

690 $ = 636 € That's way cheaper then 741 Euro. But obviously that's not how it works.

We have to pay higher taxes in europe (at least here in germany they are at 19%) and the shipping is also more expensive (41€ but that's fair).

599 $ * 0.922 = 552 € + 19% tax + 41€ = 657 € + 41 € = 698 €
That's closer to the 741 € but still not correct

Maybe we have to pay US and 'EU' taxes (for whatever reason). Let's assume a 7% tax rate for the U.S.

599$ * 0.922 + 599 $ * 7%*0.922 + 599 $ * 19% * 0.922 + 41 € =

552 € + 39 € + 104€ + 41 € = 736 €

Pretty close to the 741 €

So maybe that's how it works. We are paying taxes twice. And this doesn't even surprise me that much. If I fly to the U.S. and buy a laptop for 1000$ I have to pay the tax there (whatever it is) and then pay an extra 19% on top of the 1000$ when I return to germany.

Luq

By most accounts (and on paper) they're very similar. If anything, I've seen more positive words towards the Rift, although that could be because it has remained a step ahead of the Vive in terms of being consumer-ready, so the hardware was more likely to give the better first impression at each showing.

I'm speaking from my experience. Had them both on my head and Vive looked way more polished.

Top Bottom