• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada Alert

Taken from Reddit:

v4T0kja.png

And this has to be on a Kickstarter unit.

Not surprised in general but surprised they would hit a Kickstarter unit, which is essentially a gift, with duty.

They supposedly start shipping Wednesday. Unless the goal posts get moved again.

Wait! I thought they were going to pay the duty fees? How much is that going to cast?

Wait! I thought they were going to pay the duty fees? How much is that going to cast?

I don't think they ever said they would pay duty fees.

I am expecting it to be the cost of tax on $849 CAD (If that is the amount the manifest has).

So about $110 in Ontario.

It's a great thing about being here in the US. No import fees to worry about. My Rift is on a UPS truck right now, and has been since this morning. The next few hours are going to be tense. Hopefully it arrives in the stated time window (12:15 EDT to 16:15 EDT). I've occasionally had problems before where the truck didn't arrive, or where the driver didn't give me all the packages he had for me, and then claimed on his forms that I wasn't there to sign for the ones he just forgot to take out of the truck.

I've taken every precaution to make sure I'm here. I can't afford to take another day off.

Just being a little paranoid with the excitement I think. Is today really the day? Is VR really launching properly after all this time?

You don't need a flight stick at all. Some of the games best pilots are using KB&M.

That said, to make KM&M work with a VR headset in a game with 100+ buttons (i.e. the inability to look at the keyboard) you'll need to invest in Voice Attack and either set up the base system or pick up one of their cool compatible voice packs from HCS Voice Packs and do a little less work. You'll need a microphone of decent quality, but once you memorize the commands to get the ship to do what you want by voice, things will work great.

That said, yes a good HOTAS is recommended since you can bind every button to a decent HOTAS system such that you'd only ever touch the keyboard for comms chatting. But those setups can be expensive and people will be quick to bring up their $150 systems, which are only affordable considerations for the hardcore. IMO, if you aren't sure this is a genre you know you you'll be getting 200+ hours out of, it's best to just get something in the $50 range or stick with KB&M until you know space/plane combat games are your thing. If you want to upgrade from there you can to something in the $100, $200, $300 or even $400 range if you like. The stick used by Alfred in Batman vs Superman is one of our better HOTAs options. On the other side of the spectrum, the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X is one of the most popular on the market. Go with your gut and look forward to a great game and experience.

lol I appreciate the information but I know I like these games, I just haven't played one in a long long time. I had an old saitek x52 during my bf2 days that I loved but it broke during a move

I didn't know about that warthog being so cheap though so thanks, might go ahead and grab one even though the stick and throttle are attached and look far too close to each other

lmimmfn

And this has to be on a Kickstarter unit.

Not surprised in general but surprised they would hit a Kickstarter unit, which is essentially a gift, with duty.
Gifts over a certain value are subject to taxes/import duty. Kinda annoying as ill prob be hit with ~130euro tax on my KS unit, oh well

Man

I will be away and traveling this week due to work. I'm back Sunday 3rd. I might actually be sitting on both Rift and Vive when I return.

lmimmfn

I hope this doesn't mean KS units are shipping from the US.
I hope not too, i doubt it as theyre shipped from China, although the KS units are supposedly slightly different. Itl'' be seriously annoying if thats the case as will take ages. Hopefully the difference is just some leaflet that can be thrown in at regional centres

Teletraan1

Banned
Pretty shity they couldn't even get some warehouse space in the countries outside of the US to avoid some heavy duty fees for the users that are not American. Even small chinese manufacturers that I have dealt with have done that so that their product wasn't so unappealing to people who have to add over a hundred dollars to the price of the product for duty fees. I would expect them to get this kind of infrastructure in place once regular people are in line for them. I can see early adopters not caring as much.

Pretty shity they couldn't even get some warehouse space in the countries outside of the US to avoid some heavy duty fees for the users that are not American. Even small chinese manufacturers that I have dealt with have done that so that their product wasn't so unappealing to people who have to add over a hundred dollars to the price of the product for duty fees. I would expect them to get this kind of infrastructure in place once regular people are in line for them. I can see early adopters not caring as much.

Yeah, in the part of logistics / taxes / fee they are doing it pretty bad. In Europe even when you add the VAT amount to the US price, there is a difference, they are putting extra fee to us just because.

artsi

Huh? They are doing that. Shipping from Ireland to Europe, Australia to Australia, etc. so duties and taxes are included in the price.

I don't know if Canada is some kind of exception, or it's just a mistake.

lol I appreciate the information but I know I like these games, I just haven't played one in a long long time. I had an old saitek x52 during my bf2 days that I loved but it broke during a move

I didn't know about that warthog being so cheap though so thanks, might go ahead and grab one even though the stick and throttle are attached and look far too close to each other
If you have a bank account that makes the Warthog look "so cheap", I'd recommend a CH Products triple setup. Stick throttle, pedals. No reason to accept less than the best.

Huh? They are doing that. Shipping from Ireland to Europe, Australia to Australia, etc. so duties and taxes are included in the price.

Canada usually gets the shaft. We're used to it.

I click claim and nothing happens

I can't even log in right now. It times out.

I might stick with launching it from Steam anyway. I will wait and see how much more convenient launching from Oculus Home is.

Wallach

If you have a bank account that makes the Warthog look "so cheap", I'd recommend a CH Products triple setup. Stick throttle, pedals. No reason to accept less than the best.

It's actually a little cheaper to get the whole CH setup than it is the Warthog, at least on Amazon.

Teletraan1

Banned

Sorry my post was just based on this canadian duty info. We have plenty of land for warehouses here so I hope it is just a mistake. Like I said it makes for a really unappealing product when you have to add over a hundred dollars extra because they don't know what they are doing with logistics. Hope they get it sorted.

lmimmfn

~5, actually. Dang PDT.

Edit - well, I guess PST would actually be another hour earlier, so "based PDT" in this case.
youre right my bad, was in CA last week but BST change at the weekend has me all confused :)

Its 10:30 CA time when its available

youre right my bad, was in CA last week but BST change at the weekend has me all confused :)

Its 10:30 CA time when its available

I might have my Rift before then. I'm not counting on it, but it'll be pretty funny if I've got the hardware and I'm waiting for the software. Hopefully their website holds up.

Man

For Nvidia owners, seems like driver version 364.72 released today.
Full support for the Oculus Rift etc.

From ZeroInformation on OculusReddit:
Apparently most of the Crescent Bay demos will be available for free as part of title named dreamlands. Very good news!

And there is a surprise secret title from Oculus which he describes as a voice acted cross between Pokemon Snap and Viva Piñata. Sounds like a full game. He said its on the top of his VR games list. And he has a Vive Pre.

You can play Luckys Tale today on your DK 2 if you want. Also the Story Studio titles are up there.

From ZeroInformation on OculusReddit:
Apparently most of the Crescent Bay demos will be available for free as part of title named dreamlands. Very good news!

And there is a surprise secret title from Oculus which he describes as a voice acted cross between Pokemon Snap and Viva Piñata. Sounds like a full game. He said its on the top of his VR games list. And he has a Vive Pre.

You can play Luckys Tale today on your DK 2 if you want. Also the Story Studio titles are up there.

About the last part, someone should make a "VR films" thread in the Offtopic forum!

You don't need a flight stick at all. Some of the games best pilots are using KB&M.

That said, to make KM&M work with a VR headset in a game with 100+ buttons (i.e. the inability to look at the keyboard) you'll need to invest in Voice Attack and either set up the base system or pick up one of their cool compatible voice packs from HCS Voice Packs and do a little less work. You'll need a microphone of decent quality, but once you memorize the commands to get the ship to do what you want by voice, things will work great.

That said, yes a good HOTAS is recommended since you can bind every button to a decent HOTAS system such that you'd only ever touch the keyboard for comms chatting. But those setups can be expensive and people will be quick to bring up their $150 systems, which are only affordable considerations for the hardcore. IMO, if you aren't sure this is a genre you know you you'll be getting 200+ hours out of, it's best to just get something in the $50 range or stick with KB&M until you know space/plane combat games are your thing. If you want to upgrade from there you can to something in the $100, $200, $300 or even $400 range if you like. The stick used by Alfred in Batman vs Superman is one of our better HOTAs options. On the other side of the spectrum, the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X is one of the most popular on the market. Go with your gut and look forward to a great game and experience.

I use the T-Flight HOTAS X for Elite, really enjoy it, and plan on using it with my Rift as well once it arrives.

UnrealEck

I plan on getting an X52 or an X55. I think the X55's throttle handle looks like it's better. But it's £50 more expensive. It also has dual throttle handles.
The stick on the X52 looks like it might be better though since it's height adjustable and the buttons seem better placed for easier reach.
The Thrustmaster T-Flight looks a bit cheap to me. But I guess it might feel similar to the X50's in build quality. I won't even see them anyway with the Rift on. I also heard in Elite, the in-game stick model is the same as the X52.

Hari Seldon

Looking forward to spending the day at work watching unboxing and first impression vids. Mine is not coming in until late May. It is for the best though since I am waiting for pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom