• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone knows how hard it is for a dev to switch from the old SDK to the new one?

There are some games that worked with DK2, that dont work with the CV1. Qbeh, Kairo, Ether One, QUBE etc.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I saw a bit of Durante's comparison impressions. Not only would I like to know about the visual and tracking quality, I'd like to know which is more comfortable and convenient. Which experience is less finicky. That sort of thing. I'm sure the Vive is more complicated, but you get the more complex experience out of it. Wish I could afford both.

One of the guys from Gamespot compares them here and he basically sticks with the Rift for those reasons. Easier to use, more comfortable and quicker to get in and out of VR. He also says the launch lineup for Vive mostly feels like tech demos.

The guys on Tested also talked about the Vive being much less comfortable and more of a pain to set up which is something I've heard/read frequently. They also felt motion controls were much more important than room-scale, as cool as that is.

Bad, bad idea! Start out with experiences that are actually built for VR until you get used to the concept. Vorpx is not suitable as a first-time experience, unless you're one of those lucky few who doesn't get motion sickness. Dying Light is going to make you sick within seconds, and GTA5 will probably take just a few seconds more.

Yeah, I think a lot of people under-estimate the nausea potential of janky VR just because they don't usually get motion sick in the real world. Even if you have a stomach of steel, if the framerate starts to fall, or you're playing a first person game and they suddenly yank camera control away from you (like in a pre-canned spinning kick animation where the head "spins around" for example), and suddenly it just feels *wrong* and it's really easy to get *very* queasy fast.

also, r.e. whoever asked about comfort, i'll throw my two cents in given time on both the pre-release CV1 and the Vive Pre and say that most reviews online line up w/ my experience. The Rift is considerably lighter and feels more comfortable to me; the Vive is noticably heavier and since that weight is all on the front of the face you start to feel it in your neck after a while. Also, some combo of the extra weight of the Vive + the way the straps are make it a bit more complex to just slip on and off; not clear if that's a plus or minus but the Oculus is a bit easier to put on and take off (but over very extended sessions might be more prone to moving around on your head). I actually preferred the "feel" of the Oculus Touch controllers to the Vive controllers, but that seems to be down to personal preference (and the Vive controllers have the benefit of actually being *purchasable* at the moment); both felt pretty good and natural.

I do find that I can't really get the Rift to craddle the back of my head, no matter how much I adjust it, or more that it will simply keep slipping down a bit. I have longer hair so I think it slips around a little bit because of that. If I had shorter hair I'm pretty sure it would fit under my head more snuggly.

Feep

Banned
Has anyone gotten The Talos Principle to work with CV1? I'd love to run through those calming environments...

Edit: This is what happens when you get a bunch of VR devs in a room together (I'm in the Vive):

12976946_10153705540423440_3933356444297093215_o.jpg

robotrock

Banned
Has anyone gotten The Talos Principle to work with CV1? I'd love to run through those calming environments...

Edit: This is what happens when you get a bunch of VR devs in a room together (I'm in the Vive):

Jesus. Not one CV1 in that shot, but there is the unreleased PSVR that is still 6 months away.

Anyone knows how hard it is for a dev to switch from the old SDK to the new one?

There are some games that worked with DK2, that dont work with the CV1. Qbeh, Kairo, Ether One, QUBE etc.
If the game was written in Unity, it's almost no work. If a DK2 Unity game hasn't been updated for the 1.3 runtime, it truly is a case of lazy developer or abandoned game. I think the normal SDK is the same. Where you'll get difficult conversions are cases like Elite: Dangerous, which (as I understand it) did everything manually, rather than using the SDK.

Enordash

One of the guys from Gamespot compares them here and he basically sticks with the Rift for those reasons. Easier to use, more comfortable and quicker to get in and out of VR. He also says the launch lineup for Vive mostly feels like tech demos.

The guys on Tested also talked about the Vive being much less comfortable and more of a pain to set up which is something I've heard/read frequently. They also felt motion controls were much more important than room-scale, as cool as that is.

Thanks!

So we've already seen Oculus include free shipping as a response to the delays. Does anyone expect something extra when they update us on the situation tomorrow?

Dineren

Banned
I'll give Oculus some credit, they shipped it on Saturday and it will arrive today. I wasn't expecting anything until later this week at the earliest so it's a nice surprised to be getting it so soon.

I'm probably a bit more excited for the Vive whenever HTC deems me worthy of having my order shipped, but there is still a lot to be excited for on the Rift and I'm looking forward to getting it hooked up tonight.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I went and double checked my order time because I didn't look at the seconds the last time, was happy to see I'm 06:06 so there is a slight chance it mighty go today. *crosses fingers*

StudioTan

What timezone are all these using? I thought orders had opened up on 8 AM Pacific that particular day?

At this point it doesn't even matter, we're still looking at the minute and second, not the hour you ordered.

Please post some impressions when you have a chance. 😀

This is based on my initial ~30 minutes, and I'm cross-posting it from the general VR thread:

1. The light flare is very pronounced, and is often much greater than the pictures and mockups I've seen.
2. During all of the demo scenes, the picture looks significantly warped on the edges. This was not the case when I booted up Elite just after, but I'm still bewildered at what was happening.
3. The headset is more comfortable than the Vive, and I especially like being able to adjust the vertical tilt.

RealMeat

Banned

I tried it out last week. The world looked good, but I was seeing double with the UI. I didn't check to see if there's a way to fix that. Moving around was making me feel sick too, but I might give it another try now that I've spent more time in VR. I did make it through Ethan Carter this weekend, which was also causing me problems.

AgeEighty

I wish I knew how so many people got orders in at :05 and :06 when I was getting that stupid credit card error constantly until :17.

Enordash

This is based on my initial ~30 minutes, and I'm cross-posting it from the general VR thread:

1. The light flare is very pronounced, and is often much greater than the pictures and mockups I've seen.
2. During all of the demo scenes, the picture looks significantly warped on the edges. This was not the case when I booted up Elite just after, but I'm still bewildered at what was happening.
3. The headset is more comfortable than the Vive, and I especially like being able to adjust the vertical tilt.

Thanks for the comparisons. Looking forward to reading more once you've had more time with the thing.

Oculus has been processing shipments straight from around 11:00am EST until now. They are starting up more US preorders and have been doing Canada for the last hour or so.

Seems they have sorted something out.

Enordash

Oculus has been processing shipments straight from around 11:00am EST until now. They are starting up more US preorders and have been doing Canada for the last hour or so.

Seems they have sorted something out.

Getting hopeful that mine will arrive this week. Great news.

YuShtink

Picked up my Rift from UPS this morning and hooked it up before coming in to work. First couple impressions:

Packaging is insane. What a gorgeous device. I actually felt guilty pulling it out of it's initial packaging, it's that slick. Everything feels great. Even the camera stand is nicely made and feels sturdy.

The Rift fits very nicely. It seems cumbersome when you first pick it up with the headphones attached to the rig, but once you get it adjusted and snug on your head it's fantastic if not a little warm. Surprised with how well the headphones can tilt and twist to accommodate your ears. I have big ears and they feel great so far.

Setup is super easy. Only thing was that I couldn't pull the plastic tab thing out of the remote to activate it. Didn't look like the remote was meant to be opened up but apparently I'm an idiot and it's supposed to be opened to remove the tab. LOL. Will do that when I get home.

The light leakage on the nose is pretty distracting to me, going to find some kind of makeshift solution until custom gaskets are available. I'll see if it keeps bothering me during an extended session tonight. But at least the device isn't uncomfortably pressing on my nose like the DKs tended to do.

Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like the IPD adjuster doesn't really change that much for me, everything seems clear but not crystal clear no matter where I have it set. From having the DKs and manually measuring my own I know I'm right around 63.5 so I just set it to 64, but I want to spend more time tinkering. I was only in Rift software for about 10 minutes before having to leave for work.

Noticed the glare effect but it really doesn't bother me so much (at least so far)

Something that I stupidly didn't really pay attention to while using it, but FOV feels nice, doesn't feel as constrictive as DK2. I Think the fact that my attention wasn't called to it at all is a good sign.

The test Dreamdeck demos during setup were all I got to do so far, but they were cool. The T-Rex walking down the hall was the most impressive, the dino model is just gorgeous in motion.

Home is a really nice environment.Tracking seems really robust compared to DK2, went backwards to about 11 feet away from my camera and took 3 good full steps forward on in Home and it all worked without a hiccup. You can definitely do a bit of walking around if you want. I want to do a lot more experimentation there tonight.

Was so hard to leave and go to work. Everyone's probably already heard most of what I've said 100 times so apologies if I sound redundant.

I downloaded Lucky's Tale before leaving but that's it. Going to try all the Dreamdeck demos, Farlands, Lucky's Tale, EVE, and possibly Chronos tonight. I'll post impressions. Counting down the hours now...

StudioTan

Seeing some high 5s in Canada now, it's getting close!

My CV1 arrives within a couple of hours. I feel a little nervous. I'm really hoping everything is good to go and I don't run it some unforeseen setup issue.

Jerry Holkins did a nice write-up on the Oculus and Vive at Penny Arcade. There are some good quotes in there.

WarpathDC

Where are you seeing the exact time you ordered from? I ordered minutes after preorders opened but my confirmation email didn't come until later that day. When I log in it just says shipping date TBA and no order time.

StudioTan

Where are you seeing the exact time you ordered from? I ordered minutes after preorders opened but my confirmation email didn't come until later that day. When I log in it just says shipping date TBA and no order time.

In Chrome, go to this URL and login: https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/history/
Click on your order
Open the developer tools (F12) and click on the network tab
Refresh the page
Filter by XHR (next to JS, CSS, etc)
Click on the bottom XHR call that is called "graphql?access_token=..."
In the Preview tab, you should be able to see the server data that Oculus has on your order
Open each dropdown: (orderID number) > payment_account > physical_orders > 0 > preorder_time
This will show a number like this: 1452096369
Convert that number into a readable time and date using this website: http://www.unixtimestamp.com/

WarpathDC

In Chrome, go to this URL and login: https://shop.oculus.com/en-us/history/
Click on your order
Open the developer tools (F12) and click on the network tab
Refresh the page
Filter by XHR (next to JS, CSS, etc)
Click on the bottom XHR call that is called "graphql?access_token=..."
In the Preview tab, you should be able to see the server data that Oculus has on your order
Open each dropdown: (orderID number) > payment_account > physical_orders > 0 > preorder_time
This will show a number like this: 1452096369
Convert that number into a readable time and date using this website: http://www.unixtimestamp.com/

Thank you friend!

YuShtink

Thanks, man. Don't worry about repeating the impressions of other people. I want to hear everyone's personal take.

For the light leakage, is it still rather distracting if you kill the lights in the room?

I'm sure turning off the lights would make it much less noticeable. It was morning and I had the windows open so it was definitely brighter than normal, but it just stuck out to me as something I immediately noticed, moreso than in DK1, DK2, or even GearVR. I prob won't always turn out the lights or block windows to play so I could see it being a minor annoyance when I want full immersion, until we can get custom faceplates. It still is nice to be able to "see" a sliver of the real world when necessary though, especially if you are going to try walking around without chaperone lol.

Got my CV1 a little while ago. Haven't got to do much yet, but I have a message at the top in the VR room and at the top of the store saying the PC does not meet recommended specifications. I just did the compatibility tool again and it says my processor isn't good enough. It's an Intel Core i7 3770. Should I be concerned? Or is the compatibility stuff just broken across the board? It says my USB 3.0 and everything else is fine. Thanks!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got my CV1 a little while ago. Haven't got to do much yet, but I have a message at the top in the VR room and at the top of the store saying the PC does not meet recommended specifications. I just did the compatibility tool again and it says my processor isn't good enough. It's an Intel Core i7 3770. Should I be concerned? Or is the compatibility stuff just broken across the board? It says my USB 3.0 and everything else is fine. Thanks!

Is broken. It wants a 4xxx or higher or it'll complain, regardless of what performance you have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom