• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

aza

The email going out, according to this reddit thread:

Hi,
We've updated your Order History with a new shipment window for your Rift.
This window may be later than your original estimate, due to the early component shortage.
As a reminder, we'll send you an email when we charge the payment method on file for your purchase and prepare your shipment. We'll also cover all shipping and handling costs for orders placed through 11:59 PDT on April 1, 2016.
Don't hesitate to reach out to the Oculus Support team if you have any questions. Thank you for supporting the future of virtual reality.
The Oculus Team

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
5/2 to 5/12 from an estimated 3/28 shipment.

This is the worst launch I have ever played a part of and I am ashamed to be giving Oculus any money for their failure to themselves and the insdistry. I'm embarrassed to see this as one of the flagship VR launches.

Palmer needs step back to middle management where he belongs and let the true talent run the projects.

Fuck Oculus and their persistent lack of communication and general understandings of supply chain. When they finally do communicate it is assuradely a miscommunication.

Can't wait until more legitimate players enter the marketplace to take every last bit of market share away from the monstrosity that is Oculus.

mitchman

Gold Member
Estimated Ship Date
6/13/2016 - 6/23/2016

lol. Guess that's what ordering at the 29 minute mark will do for you.
I ordered 3 hours after the opening of pre-orders: 5/2/2016 - 5/12/2016

Europe here, so I guess the allotment is different there.

AgeEighty

So they just updated with estimated shipping windows tonight.

My April estimate order is now estimated to ship 5/16 - 5/26.

Uhhhh, yikes.

Yup. Same for mine.

God dammit. I was right there with everyone else with my finger on the mouse, ready on the hour to preorder. It's only their own site problems that pushed me so far back.

Uggghh.

Soi-Fong

Jesus.. lol Ordered 6 minutes in. My estimated shipping date is now 4/18/2016 - 4/28/2016 and I was supposed to be a March order.. I was really hoping to get this before I went out of the country for vacation.

Both Oculus and HTC have really fucked up these launches. This shit would never happen with Sony.

undecided

I am pretty disappointed with every move they have made so far. These delays are insane, $30 free shipping is a joke at this point.

charpunk

Hahaha my March order that went to 1-3 weeks, to maybe a few more days, is now 4/25-5/5.

Fuck this. If I get my vive first I'm cancelling this.

Soi-Fong

I am pretty disappointed with every move they have made so far. These delays are insane, $30 free shipping is a joke at this point.

For Aussies and such, it's a bit more substantial since they're shipping was around $120 or so. Even still, this is one of the worst launches I have ever seen. The FB takeover was supposed to prevent this shit from happening.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yeah. Mine went from April to May 23-June 1.

Fuckin sucks.

Might cancel if my Vive gets here first, it's estimated for May, but we will see how that goes.

Digby

Neo Member
Jesus.. lol Ordered 6 minutes in. My estimated shipping date is now 4/18/2016 - 4/28/2016 and I was supposed to be a March order.. I was really hoping to get this before I went out of the country for vacation.

Both Oculus and HTC have really fucked up these launches. This shit would never happen with Sony.

Huh? Mine was 5:05 min in and I'm pushed to May?? Wtf oculus???

I really wish they would just explain what the hell is going on.

Component shortage.

Based on their shipping recently this estimates are a little surprising.

I am at 6:04 and they shipped up till 5:58 today and I am getting an April 18th to April 28th window. People who had their orders charged and shipped today saw the same window before the shipping updated on their order.

YuShtink

Wow I leave work and the world burns down by the time I get home.

I feel kinda shitty now for receiving my Rift today. :05 order. I must have JUST made it in the 1-3 week e-mail cutoff.

So sorry for my brothers and sisters, stay strong. It's a really fucking nice piece of kit and worth the wait. I didn't think I would be able to wait much longer last Friday when I got the shipping notification. But now that I have it I can say it would have been worth waiting a few more weeks for.

YuShtink

Really hope this is case of under promise over deliver. Though with their track record lately..

I really think they are giving the absolute worst possible estimates now to get the shot out of the way, and then end up with people being pleasantly surprised when their Rifts ship before or at the beginning of their 10 day window. But I guess we have no way to know for sure.

Bsigg12

Component shortage.

Based on their shipping recently this estimates are a little surprising.

I am at 6:04 and they shipped up till 5:58 today and I am getting an April 18th to April 28th window. People who had their orders charged and shipped today saw the same window before the shipping updated on their order.

Sure, a component shortage, of what though? What happened 3 weeks ago to be creating this issue? I feel for the price of the unit, there should be some more transparency because it isn't a good look to be pushing orders back a month for a "component shortage".

Very sorry to hear about the delays. I really wasn't expecting that.

I was also having a constant juddering every 20 seconds or so. It was really bothering me, I tried to search for it, turns out f.lux is the cause for this. I just uninstalled it and voila. No more issues.

Thanks for the heads-up. I thought I noticed something during EVE: Valkyrie but wasn't sure. I'll uninstall just in case.

Looking at the library, I think the only things I will actually purchase at the moment are Chronos and possibly Apollo 11 (need to compare it with the Vive version first). Everything else I own on the Gear VR already or will get for the Vive for the motion controls. I didn't get to try the Rift until pretty late, so all I've done is DreamDeck and EVE: Valkyrie. I'll need more time with it all before I feel comfortable commenting too much.

the halo effect is pretty bad, it was really surprising since DK2 didn't seem to have this at all.

It had it a little. I think I only noticed it during the configuration utility, actually. It definitely seems a lot worse on the CV1, though. I was surprised at how bad it is.

8min12sec order time, March estimated shipping window...

... my updated shipping window is 5/9 through 5/19.

I thought it was going to be bad, but that's some bullllllllllshit. I am actually wondering if I ordered a Vive tonight if it would end up getting here faster. EDIT: ah a few days ago Vive orders ticked over from May into June.

Man, now i'm also seriously wondering about their ability to actually get Touch out this year.

ducksauce8188

Neo Member
Just saw those rift user agreements....man am I glad I went with the Vive. Vive looks a million times more fun anyway. I want to be fully immersed.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Just saw those rift user agreements....man am I glad I went with the Vive. Vive looks a million times more fun anyway. I want to be fully immersed.

I hope you haven't read the Steam user agreement then.

My updated shipping date is 3-4 weeks from now, but I'll live. I get that people are upset, but calm down everyone! :) Sometimes you get dealt a shitty hand, but that's just how it is.

For those talking about this being the worst launch ever, and other such hyperbole, take a few steps back. This isn't unusual at all. Due to me backing a lot of Kickstarter projects, the vast majority of stuff I get sent is delayed, sometimes significantly (over a year).

Also, I live in Europe and have tried to buy Harmonix games at launch. That'll make you jaded, trust me.

My updated shipping date is 3-4 weeks from now, but I'll live. I get that people are upset, but calm down everyone! :) Sometimes you get dealt a shitty hand, but that's just how it is.

For those talking about this being the worst launch ever, and other such hyperbole, take a few steps back. This isn't unusual at all. Due to me backing a lot of Kickstarter projects, the vast majority of stuff I get sent is delayed, sometimes significantly (over a year).

Also, I live in Europe and have tried to buy Harmonix games at launch. That'll make you jaded, trust me.

Don't be daft. This isn't a Kickstarter. It's a retail launch from a major company, not a couple of guys in their garage.

This is a mess, through and through, and a paper launch for the Rift at best.

At this point my biggest dissapointment is Touch. It's not launching this year. And if it does it will be a clusterfuck with 9 people getting it December 31st.

I'm keeping my preorder because I believe in VR and a Vive would come late... but I have zero faith in Oculus as a company now and will be going out of my way to NOT purchase games on Home. This has shown me that they don't value me as a customer. No transparency, no communication (I have to read fucking twitter and reddit to get official statements?!), and a feeling of general disregard for their customers.

I'm really curious where they go with official statements from here on out. This had been a joke.

I feel sorry for the developers tied to Home, I really don't want to spend my money there at all and I was gung-ho about this.

Don't be daft. This isn't a Kickstarter. It's a retail launch from a major company, not a couple of guys in their garage.

This is a mess, through and through, and a paper launch for the Rift at best.

It's a pre-order from a company doing this kind of thing for the first time at this scale (the DK1s and DK2s had their own problems but were much, much simpler). You haven't paid them squat yet unless they've shipped your Rift. Something happened that was beyond their control, and now they're updating estimates based on that.

And Oculus isn't a "major company", unless you're talking in terms of potential. They'll get there, but there's still some way to go. They got bought by one though.

YuShtink

Ok damn just did some passive content, super cool. Started with dream deck. Spent some extra time on top of the skyscraper. Walked toward the edge and fiddled with stepping off. Was surprisingly hard to get myself to conpletely step off. Also crawled on hands and knees and peered over the ledge. So trippy. Could see myself doing stupid stuff like this for way too long. Tracking is so much better than dk2 my God.

Sitting around the fire with polygon animals is really fun too. The mini city diorama is ridiculously cool and cute at the same time. Even though i couldnt interact i found myself giggling.

Light leakage not nearly as noticeable as earlier, the morning light made it much more apparent and its still very good to have while walking blindly.

Speaking of which the only other thing i got to try was farlands. Messing around in the cockpit with tracking i was able to walk all the way back to the ladder, turn around, and walk up to the canopy and controls. Easily a good 10 feet. Taking full steps in VR is something ive dreamed about for a long time. Finally being able to do that is a godsend, even if i still cant touch yet.

Anyway just taking a bathroom break, going to hop back in and try aome Luckys Tale.

jax

Banned
Late May/Early June instead of early April? and I ordered exactly when preorders opened...

Cancelled. Absolutely ridiculous. I thought Facebook was bankrolling this project? What a terrible launch.

Zaptruder

Banned
Got my Rift today. Have had my Vive for the last week.

What's included with the Rift is better IMO (much more comfortable headset, and I wear wide glasses).

Also there are game experiences on the store that feel a lot more whole (proper games like Airmech, Chronos, Lucky's Tail, etc).

But the lack of motion controls and room scale also means that I would only recommend the Rift to people that play sims, people that are willing to wait months and months for a complete VR experience (to be fair, people are going to wait months for a VR experience at this point in time anyway), or people that put an absolute premium on HMD comfort.

pj

Banned
Ok damn just did some passive content, super cool. Started with dream deck. Spent some extra time on top of the skyscraper. Walked toward the edge and fiddled with stepping off. Was surprisingly hard to get myself to conpletely step off. Also crawled on hands and knees and peered over the ledge. So trippy. Could see myself doing stupid stuff like this for way too long. Tracking is so much better than dk2 my God.

Sitting around the fire with polygon animals is really fun too. The mini city diorama is ridiculously cool and cute at the same time. Even though i couldnt interact i found myself giggling.

Light leakage not nearly as noticeable as earlier, the morning light made it much more apparent and its still very good to have while walking blindly.

Speaking of which the only other thing i got to try was farlands. Messing around in the cockpit with tracking i was able to walk all the way back to the ladder, turn around, and walk up to the canopy and controls. Easily a good 10 feet. Taking full steps in VR is something ive dreamed about for a long time. Finally being able to do that is a godsend, even if i still cant touch yet.

Anyway just taking a bathroom break, going to hop back in and try aome Luckys Tale.

You're in the wrong thread, guy. This here is for bitching about shipping delays

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I feel sorry for the developers tied to Home, I really don't want to spend my money there at all and I was gung-ho about this.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Understandable you feel that way, and the best way to protest is with your dollars. We'll still survive, at least I hope all the devs that went in early will (our studio is probably more diversified than most).

Funnily enough, our Gear VR sales have spiked in the last week.

MaulerX

My email says 5/30/2016 to 6/9/2016

So basically I'm getting mine first week of June from an original estimate of April. Totally bummed out but on the plus side at least I know when I'm getting it so I can forget about this for a while.

Still curious as to what the "component shortage" is.

Yeah... Pushed back to June... 38 min EU order here (as soon as the store was functional for me). It is absolutely ridiculous that I may be getting the Vive that I ordered last week for backup, before the Oculus. And I fully intend to keep the one that ships first. So, most probably, Oculus loses one more client.

YuShtink

At this point my biggest dissapointment is Touch. It's not launching this year. And if it does it will be a clusterfuck with 9 people getting it December 31st.

I'm keeping my preorder because I believe in VR and a Vive would come late... but I have zero faith in Oculus as a company now and will be going out of my way to NOT purchase games on Home. This has shown me that they don't value me as a customer. No transparency, no communication (I have to read fucking twitter and reddit to get official statements?!), and a feeling of general disregard for their customers.

I'm really curious where they go with official statements from here on out. This had been a joke.

I probably sound like a total asshole saying this right now - but when you guys get your Rifts I think you'll change your mind. It really is a fantastic product. Just played 40 minutes of Lucky's Tale and I'm more and more astounded by how comfortable the headset is. The headphones are so awesome. I'm starting to forget they are even there. I was bitter until last Friday that I didn't have either of my VR kits and no signs of shipping, and was still feeling kind of deflated with my hype even when picking up my Rift from UPS this morning.

But damn now that I'm actually using this thing and I'm jumping from app to app seemlessly, it's what I was waiting for all this time. Real, polished game experiences. A sleek and comfortable headset that I can wear for extended periods without any issue. Even without Touch it's awesome. There's no way people will be unhappy when it arrives - unless you are super prone to motion sickness or it just straight doesn't fit your head or something like that. Don't give up now!

Guess April comes in June this year
5/23/2016 - 6/2/2016

The fact that they said nothing before launch when it was impossible that they didn't know some shit was about to go down is my main issue with this.

artsi

I guess I'll get my Vive this or next month, then think if I should get the Rift too in June.

This is ridiculous.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Some kickstarter backers are apparently getting a range of 7/25/2016 - 8/4/2016

Oh fuck what?? The only reason I didn't preorder was because it was suggested we'd get them early. I'd have tried to get an early preorder if I though I'd be waiting four fucking months to get one. On the plus side, we might have a view of what touch will do by then..

YuShtink

Oh fuck what?? The only reason I didn't preorder was because it was suggested we'd get them early. I'd have tried to get an early preorder if I though I'd be waiting four fucking months to get one. On the plus side, we might have a view of what touch will do by then..

The one Oculus dude who has been communicating on /r/oculus says those dates they are getting are false.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4edyz2/osa_kickstarter_backers_the_shipping_estimate_you/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Didn't they also say they were getting their shipping sorted out and would be 'full steam ahead' by now? So just in time for their shipping to get sorted, they run out of stock and only have a dribble coming in?

I'll just assume that the full steam ahead comment was a train analogy, and the speed they were referring to was that of early 19th century locomotives.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope you haven't read the Steam user agreement then.

Doesn't count - already signed their soul away to that.

I don't get the delays being caused by an earlier component shortage. That was apparently the cause of the slow shipping and that picked up. So it shouldn't be something fundamental. Unless they had to wait for new units to be flown over from the factory to ship out, and now we'll get some delay as they revert to surface freight? Just weird.

jax

Banned
They were already shipping without motion controls, which was a serious misstep. Now this.. I have a feeling we won't be seeing much from Oculus in 2017. It's good they kickstarted VR, but now it's time for actual game and hardware companies to take command. The writing was on the wall the second they were purchased by Facebook of all companies.

There is literally not a single reason to buy an Oculus over a Vive at this point. Identical shipping time, identical headsets. only one of them is truly an immersive experience. The only way they could right this wrong and append the damage is by giving everyone who had an order in the first 10 minutes some proper compensation.

Early April to Early June is ridiculous. I wanted Oculus to succeed, but this is straight bananas. I bet Zuckerberg is pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom