• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should really consider a bigger and more heart felt explanation of what has happened, and probably a better make good.
Oof, I don't want them to have messed things up.. especially now that my one is shipping.
They were already shipping without motion controls, which was a serious misstep. Now this.. I have a feeling we won't be seeing much from Oculus in 2017. It's good they Kickstarted VR, but now it's time for actual game and hardware companies to take command. The writing was on the wall the second they were purchased by Facebook of all companies.
There is no indication Facebook has anything to do with this cock up.

AgeEighty

There is literally not a single reason to buy an Oculus over a Vive at this point.

There are "literally" several reasons: better launch titles, a more comfortable, less bulky headset, easier setup, and better overall software support.

I think you're blowing things a bit out of proportion in sounding the death knell at this stage.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'm not sure whether Oculus are liars or just incompetent, but they better have a satisfactory explanation tomorrow for what is going on with the delays or I am canceling.

jax

Banned
They should really consider a bigger and more heart felt explanation of what has happened, and probably a better make good.
Oof, I don't want them to have messed things up.. especially now that my one is shipping.

There is no indication Facebook has anything to do with this cock up.
I'm inclined to believe that if a company with /any/ gaming background at all purchased the company instead of Facebook, we would see more units in people's hands. It's becoming clear that they really have no clue what they're doing in the hardware/gaming space.

There are "literally" several reasons: better launch titles, a more comfortable, less bulky headset, easier setup, and better overall software support.

I think you're blowing things a bit out of proportion in sounding the death knell at this stage.
Launch titles? You mean exclusivity? That's horrible for the entirety of VR. More comfortable headset and better designed I'll give you, but in the end how much does that really matter? Motion controls are more important than headset comfort. Setup is not easier. You need 7 USB ports to even get the thing running. That means I have to install a whole new card in my PC just to get going. That sounds a lot harder than hanging up a few sensors. Also, Valve has been doing the whole game software thing a little bit longer than Oculus last time I checked.

We can discuss this further in PMs. Not trying to clog up the thread right now when I'm livid about my 2 month delay. I wanted this to be a success and I'm very disappointed in Oculus, especially due to their complete lack of transparency.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The one Oculus dude who has been communicating on /r/oculus says those dates they are getting are false.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4edyz2/osa_kickstarter_backers_the_shipping_estimate_you/

Hold on. Those dates are wrong because they are based in when stock was imported into the system. But the dates are in the future. Does that mean KS stock won't arrive until then so we'll get it later, or it's an entirely random date and they already have stock on hand?

hahaha, oh man. Dude, come on. And you clearly are talking about stuff you have no clue about. 1st off, it requires two USB 3.0 ports. 1 for the sensor and one for the headset. A third USB can be a USB 2.0 port, and that is for the Xbox One Wireless dongle.

AgeEighty

Launch titles? You mean exclusivity? That's horrible for the entirety of VR. More comfortable headset and better designed I'll give you, but in the end how much does that really matter? Motion controls are more important than headset comfort. Setup is not easier. You need 7 USB ports to even get the thing running. That means I have to install a whole new card in my PC just to get going. That sounds a lot harder than hanging up a few sensors. Also, Valve has been doing the whole game software thing a little bit longer than Oculus last time I checked.

It may or may not be "horrible for VR", but it's a reason for a given individual consumer to buy a Rift. You said there were literally no reasons. Motion controls may be more important to you, but not to me... and Oculus has their own coming. And pretty much every single side by side comparison says that setup on the Rift is easier. As for Oculus not doing software for very long, that would be why it's not them making most of the software but partners of theirs.

YuShtink

Hold on. Those dates are wrong because they are based in when stock was imported into the system. But the dates are in the future. Does that mean KS stock won't arrive until then so we'll get it later, or it's an entirely random date and they already have stock on hand?

Yea I have no idea. You'd kind of hope the latter because if they have them on hand they have to ship them soon right? But it makes no sense for it to take so long to just ship the stock they had on hand, especially if a parts shortage is whats to blame. I dunno but I feel for you dude that's a big wtf.

MaulerX

Wow dude. I'm angry just as you are, but yikes. For VR comfort is HUGE. OC is getting motion controls as well. And then what? And what are the 7 USB ports you are talking about?

AgeEighty

Wow dude. I'm angry just as you are, but yikes. For VR comfort is HUGE. OC is getting motion controls as well. And then what? And what are the 7 USB ports you are talking about?

I mean, I get that people are angry—I'm not getting mine 'til mid-to-late May—but honestly, the way people flip out in such dramatic fashion and act like the sky is falling.

It sucks, but it's not the end of the world. We've been waiting on this thing for four years for christ's sake. These people should get off the computer for a bit, go throw a frisbee around or something and just calm the fuck down.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hahaha, oh man. Dude, come on. And you clearly are talking about stuff you have no clue about. 1st off, it requires two USB 3.0 ports. 1 for the sensor and one for the headset. A third USB can be a USB 2.0 port, and that is for the Xbox One Wireless dongle.

I don't understand why it needs a USB 3 for the headset. Vive has a camera and additional data coming from the lighthouse sensors, so it likely has way more data to transmit, yet uses a USB2 cable for the headset.

I don't understand why it needs a USB 3 for the headset. Vive has a camera and additional data coming from the lighthouse sensors, so it likely has way more data to transmit, yet uses a USB2 cable for the headset.

The headphones are probably a major contributing factor to this. The Vive doesn't have to worry about that, but it also doesn't benefit from what is a considerable advantage the Rift currently has.

Didn't they also say they were getting their shipping sorted out and would be 'full steam ahead' by now? So just in time for their shipping to get sorted, they run out of stock and only have a dribble coming in?

Nope. That was from a supposed "insider" on reddit.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The headphones are probably a major contributing factor to this. The Vive doesn't have to worry about that, but it also doesn't benefit from what is a considerable advantage the Rift currently has.

Vive has an USB port available to use on the headset. You can even plug in USB headphones.

jediyoshi

IIRC, the sensors that read the lighthouse aren't like typical image processing something like a camera has to go through and are much more data efficient as a result.

You don't need 7 USB ports just to get it running, what are you talking about? Oculus Rift needs one USB 3.0 port for the headset, one USB 3.0 port for the camera, one USB 2.0 port for the gamepad. Then in the future when Oculus Touch comes out, if you get that it'll require one more USB 3.0 port for the second camera. Now compare that to Vive, which has *6* cables going into a box, and two lighthouses that need to be mounted higher than all the players, in opposite corners of a room, and plugged into power outlets. No, it's not extremely difficult to install, but it's a hell of a lot more work than the Rift, especially for people who can't mount things to their walls (most apartment renters).

As for games, let's count the games Valve has announced for the Vive. Zero...um...I guess you could count the collection of test tech demos they shipped with it as half a game. Oculus on the other hand has paid for the development of 20 high quality games to make sure VR wouldn't die due to a lack of real games. They didn't want there to just be a bunch of 10 minute demos, they wanted real meaty games and they paid up for it. They didn't even require that all the games they helped come into being be exclusive - games like Eve Valkyrie and Adr1ft will eventually make it to other platforms, the only true exclusives are ones that Oculus paid a significant amount of the game's development costs, like Lucky's Tale or Edge of Nowhere. They've also said they would be fine with users hacking those games to run on other headsets.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Now compare that to Vive, which has *6* cables going into a box, and two lighthouses that need to be mounted higher than all the players, in opposite corners of a room, and plugged into power outlets. No, it's not extremely difficult to install, but it's a hell of a lot more work than the Rift, especially for people who can't mount things to their walls (most apartment renters)..

When you try to correct someone, try not to spread misinformation when doing so. It's much more efficient. You don't need to mount anything on the wall.

When you try to correct someone, try not to spread misinformation when doing so. It's much more efficient. You don't need to mount anything on the wall.
Now show me where I said anything was required to be mounted to a wall - I didn't. The lighthouses are required to be above your head, ideally over 6.5 feet from the ground, and angled downward; that is the requirement that is hard to fulfill when you can't mount things to your walls.

SighFight

I'm not sure whether Oculus are liars or just incompetent, but they better have a satisfactory explanation tomorrow for what is going on with the delays or I am canceling.

My order is pushed into June. I sadly have the feeling that they deliberately lied about the launch. It was the only way to slow down vive sales. Imagine if oculus would have had their launch officially after the vive on top of having no controllers.

What has me even more worried is that the h2 estimate for the touch controller is another lie to keep people from jumping ship. Once you have the headset it is less likely that you switch and then they will keep delaying the shit out of it because they know already they can't deliver yet. They seem working in the presentations but if it was just a matter of production they could have launched it earlier.

I am really worried!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IIRC, the sensors that read the lighthouse aren't like typical image processing something like a camera has to go through and are much more data efficient as a result.

but the Rift isn't sending *any* data down the wire to do with positional tracking - the camera does that. So the Vive - even being more data efficient - has to send that down the headset cable.

And as mentioned, the vive has a USB port on the headset for audio or other accessories (although I think maybe if you use certain accessories like the leap motion you're recommended to plug it into USB3)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Now show me where I said anything was required to be mounted to a wall - I didn't. The lighthouses are required to be above your head, ideally over 6.5 feet from the ground, and angled downward; that is the requirement that is hard to fulfill when you can't mount things to your walls.

Furniture, tripods, stands. You don't need both at above the head levels. You don't need both in opposite corners. You need them to see each other at all time and to properly cover the "room" and not to have occlusion. But this is more a discussion for the Vive thread.

The set up for Oculus seems to be much easier anyhow, so there's no reason to exaggerate the difficulties of Vive set up. That was my only point.

Imagine if oculus would have had their launch officially after the vive on top of having no controllers.
That was always the plan. Vive was supposed to start shipping in December of 2015, while Oculus didn't even announce a preorder date until January 4. At that point there was no known launch or preorder date for the Vive since it had been delayed.

You want the truth, Oculus has been pretty upfront about it. They got a *lot* more orders than they expected, they said that, and then they said they had troubles getting enough of one component to match demand. Considering the delay is only a few weeks, that seems pretty reasonable an explanation.

gdt

Oh fuck. Just got my new date.

5/23-6/2.

This is ridiculous. That's two months later that originally scheduled. This is a disaster of a launch.

Furniture, tripods, stands. You don't need both at above the head levels. You don't need both in opposite corners. You need them to see each other at all time and to properly cover the "room" and not to have occlusion. But this is more a discussion for the Vive thread.
From the official installation guide;
HTC said:
Determine where you want to set up your base stations.
Make sure you can see both Base Stations from everywhere in your play area. Ideally they are placed at opposite corners of your space, near the edges of your play area.
The area doesn't have to be a perfect square.
For room scale VR you will need a minimum of 2 meters by 1.5 meters of free space (6.5ft x 5ft).
The maximum distance between base stations is 5m or 16 ft.

Set up each base station securely
Bases should be above head height (ideally over 2m or 6.5 feet), and angled down 30-45 degrees.
The base stations should have an unobstructed view of each other, to enable optical sync.
Make sure the base stations are stable and secure, as vibrations will affect tracking.
The base station can be placed with the provided mounting hardware, or any other 1/4 -20 UNC threaded mount (standard for speakers and tripods).
A braced floor to ceiling pole with clamp mounts is a good alternative mounting solution.
You can also try placing the base stations on high bookshelves. Make sure they are stable, secure, and have a good view of each other.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It looks like this is an ideal setup, but I read from multiple sources it still works if you put lighthouses on the floor or at mid height.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
From the official installation guide;

Key word being "ideally".

There are videos out there showing how it works even with one station on the floor. My personal set up is having one lighthouse on the furniture (at about 1.95 meters) in the middle of the long side and the other on another furniture (at about 1.20 meters) on the opposite corner of the right short side. It works flawlessly. No mounts whatsoever.

I'm fucking furious right now.

You shouldn't be. This kind of thing should never elicit that kind of response. If I became furious just because an entertainment product I'm looking forward to will appear later than expected in my mailbox, then I'd start to get worried about my own state of mind.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You shouldn't be. This kind of thing should never elicit that kind of response. If I became furious just because an entertainment product I'm looking forward to will appear later than expected in my mailbox, then I'd start to get worried about my own state of mind.

if you'd been following VR closely for a few years, maybe backed the DK1 back in 2012 and were highly anticipating getting your own consumer VR unit, you can't imagine how someone would be pissed that the company invited you in with open arms, issued reassuring messages of comfort about things shipping for March 28th, then literally slips the shipping months if your order was only a few minutes after orders opened?

I'd be more worried if you were bottling it up. And if you were ambivalent to it, you probably wouldn't have been preordering within minutes of launch or being willing to spend $600.

if you'd been following VR closely for a few years, maybe backed the DK1 back in 2012 and were highly anticipating getting your own consumer VR unit, you can't imagine how someone would be pissed that the company invited you in with open arms, issued reassuring messages of comfort about things shipping for March 28th, then literally slips the shipping months if your order was only a few minutes after orders opened?

I'd be more worried if you were bottling it up. And if you were ambivalent to it, you probably wouldn't have been preordering within minutes of launch or being willing to spend $600.

I've been extremely excited about VR for a few years now. I didn't back the Kickstarter, but bought a DK2 minutes after those pre-orders went up, and a CV 8 minutes after those pre-orders. So yes, I can imagine the kind of situation you're describing. And no, it doesn't and shouldn't make me furious. I'm not even bottling anything up. I just have a more relaxed, realistic expectation of the nature of business, especially for a product I haven't yet paid for. Am I disappointed in the Rift launch? Absolutely. Does that mean I should be furious? Hell no! I don't even need anger management to stop that from happening.

Gaming enthusiast on a gaming enthusiast board gets his enthusiasm crushed by global conglomerate and is told to calm down by some dude.

Sure, we've only been waiting over 25 years for decent consumer VR. Lets all shut up and wait in absolute silence guys.

Who said anything about waiting in silence? Complain, by all means! That's your right as consumers. I'm reacting to people claiming outright fury at the Rift launch. That's a symptom of deeper problems.

Donnie

My original ship date was May. Just got my new shipping estimate of between 20th of June and 30th of June. In truth I don't mind too much, I've waited this long I can wait another month,

Plus it just gives me more time to make sure that £500 is comfortably affordable. Just bought a house a few months back so £500 coming out of my bank account in May could have been slightly difficult to afford, especially if it came at the end of the month.

Zaptruder

Banned
Playing through Chronos. Great opening... right up until the point there's no obvious signs of progression. Like really guys?

I haven't even fought anything yet! I just have key card slot and a broken key card thing barring further access. No obvious pickups either.

Playing through Chronos. Great opening... right up until the point there's no obvious signs of progression. Like really guys?

I haven't even fought anything yet! I just have key card slot and a broken key card thing barring further access. No obvious pickups either.

I got stuck there too. You went too far too early. Head back down the elevator, and you'll figure it out. :)

iceatcs

Most embrassment is both are doing the mail order. It is so 90s. Let both release in the retailers.

At least Vive will come the store this May accord to Game UK terminal computer.

Enordash

So I just got my new shipping window. It shows the 25th of this month at the earliest... Holy hell. I'm a freakin' :06

Edit: I now see that the last few pages covered this freakout already, lol

Most embrassment is both are doing the mail order. It is so 90s. Let both release in the retailers.

At least Vive will come the store this May accord to Game UK terminal computer.
I don't see what's 'embarrassing' or '90s' about mail order. If anything, a retail release is the more dated concept. They simply wanted to offer them as soon as possible. They could have launched in retailers, but you'd be waiting the same amount of time, if not longer. And they're all coming to retailers eventually anyway.

So I just got my new shipping window. It shows the 25th of this month at the earliest... Holy hell. I'm a freakin' :06

I think the next few days will determine how exaggerated these date windows are. Like I mentioned last night, people who saw their Rifts ship last night had seen their window as April 18th to 28th before receiving their tracking number.

I am hoping for the best.

Enordash

I think the next few days will determine how exaggerated these date windows are. Like I mentioned last night, people who saw their Rifts ship last night had seen their window as April 18th to 28th before receiving their tracking number.

I am hoping for the best.

I'll keep hoping, but part of me thinks it would be easier to just ignore VR entirely for a while. I've been diving into reviews and impressions every day since the 28th thinking that I'd be getting my hands on something soon.

Went to pre-order a Vive, guessing it'll still come before the Rift, and i'll sell the one i don't like as both will likely be in high demand all year.

HTC took the money out my account instantly.
What the actual fuck. Consider yourself warned.
It is because of Paypal. CCs do not get charged until dispatch.

I feel the worst for the 5:52-6:50 timers. They got up to 5:51ish yesterday. To be so close and then tell those guys that the 1-3 week email they sent is bullshit. When they were already expecting a March date. And then to get a new email that they have to wait from late April to early May.

Oh man! Burn! I feel for you guys. The way Oculus has played it was not cool. Before you cancel I would consider one thing. Comfort. It is a big deal. I love my Vive but I can only use it for 30 minutes at a time before it gets too hot and heavy on my face. If I soldier through it I can last at max an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom