• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

undecided

Best Buy and Amazon still list bundle shipping dates that are pretty soon (April 23 on Amazon, May 3 on Best Buy)...

I am really starting to wonder if they are going to prioritize retailer bundles rather than existing orders.

The UE4 "Showdown" demo was put on the Oculus store last night under the free "Concepts" section.

Website blurb for the entry says this:

I have never heard this experimental renderer mentioned before, but I watched it in the DK2 last night (before I knew that website entry existed) and immediately the first thing I commented on was the image quality. Should download and watch this scene for yourself if you have a DK2 or CV headset because it is fuckin' neato.

I did. It's a great little scene, albeit a bit short. I love the bit when the crushed can comes flying up in front of you and it seems so tangible that you can't help but want to reach out and catch it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Best Buy and Amazon still list bundle shipping dates that are pretty soon (April 23 on Amazon, May 3 on Best Buy)...

I am really starting to wonder if they are going to prioritize retailer bundles rather than existing orders.

I bet they do.

They're probably contractually obligated to. I doubt these retail bundles will cut too deep into existing orders.

Does anyone else who has a CV1 have an issue with the headset where it causes too much pressure on your forehead, right above your eyebrows? I've never had an issue with the DK2 at all, but the CV1 is super super uncomfortable. I'm trying to adjust it as much as I can, to make sure it's not too tight, but man, I might pull straps off my DK2 and throw them on the CV1, because it's not pleasant at all for some reason.

As someone said above, the front part of the headset tilts. Sounds like it may be tilted back too far which would put pressure on your forehead.

Make sure you have the triangle part of the back headset cupping your skull as much as you can.

Loosen the side straps. You don't need it to grip the front of your face like DK2 had to. Tighten the side straps just enough where it won't move if you shake your head side to side like you're gesturing "No".

Make sure the top strap holds the headset at the appropriate height. I found the sweet spot is when the bottom of the headset is near your cheekbones which puts my eyes pretty much dead center in the lenses.

They really should have a video in the Oculus Home setup which walks people through this. The first night or two the headset was okay in terms of comfort. However, once I moved the back part further back and also loosened the straps more than I thought I should, it ended up being super comfortable and I've enjoyed 2-3 hour sessions in the Rift without the ring around my face being pretty much gone.

MattFiler

Neo Member
Does Alien Isolation still work with the Rift? I heard that the support was built for an older SDK, but I don't know if that makes it unplayable.

Does Alien Isolation still work with the Rift? I heard that the support was built for an older SDK, but I don't know if that makes it unplayable.

Forget about games built for older SDKs. Unless they're updated or someone makes some kind of wrapper, they're not going to work. I suspect Alien: Isolation will be lost in time when it comes to VR.

Dhx

Really good video showing Facebook social interactions in VR with the Rift and Touch controllers.

Yeah, this Oculus company is a disaster and won't be around very long after a launch like this..

Let's be honest. Oculus is here to stay and this launch will be a mere blip. We've only begun to scratch the surface of the tech they've been working on and purchased through acquisition.

Now please ship my 5:59 :/

Forget about games built for older SDKs. Unless they're updated or someone makes some kind of wrapper, they're not going to work. I suspect Alien: Isolation will be lost in time when it comes to VR.

Actually there is a workaround for the CV1 to be able to play older SDK games. Not sure how it works though, but there was a tutorial on reddit about that.

Really good video showing Facebook social interactions in VR with the Rift and Touch controllers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqspyrTkR9w&feature=youtu.be

Really shows off the hand gestures well.

This is kind of amazing despite how primitive it is. Just looking at how emotive someone becomes in VR when all you can see is their non-animated head and animated hands, the possibilities when these are expanded in future generations are enormous. Eye tracking, for example, would work very well with this kind of thing as you'd actually be able to see where the other "players" are looking.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
REALLY cool stuff. Notice how natural the finger gestures are from the guy on the other side.
That's the area where the touch controller trumps the vive wands in my experience (I've only done tech demos with the touch ones but comparing to say the "fixed position" gestures in Hover Junkers to this).

GeoGonzo

So, I did get my Rift. My USB 3.0 were NOT good enough, though: As soon as I got a few seconds into a game the sensor would reset, losing tracking and crashing the app. Thankfully, I also have a powered usb hub... and surprisingly the sensor works just fine when plugged on that. It still shows a warning at the Oculus Home, but it will do till the next gen of graphic cards.

Anyway, no need to delve into the headset details, it is all true: Comes in a very cool box, is very confortable, FoV is okay, tracking is great, godrays are annoying, hoping I'll just get used to them. Looking forward to playing with it a LOT this weekend.

Now I have to decide if I want to keep or cancel my Vive order. At the very least I'll sleep on it. It's a LOT of money for such a similar product.

Trojan

Yikes, new Rift orders are showing an August ship date? Is that to be believed or are all Oculus ship dates dubious at the moment?

I just bought a new rig and I'm definitely laboring the decision of whether to buy an Oculus or a Vive. Waiting 2+ months longer for an Oculus than a Vive sounds unappealing.

Evo X

So, I did get my Rift. My USB 3.0 were NOT good enough, though: As soon as I got a few seconds into a game the sensor would reset, losing tracking and crashing the app. Thankfully, I also have a powered usb hub... and surprisingly the sensor works just fine when plugged on that. It still shows a warning at the Oculus Home, but it will do till the next gen of graphic cards.

Anyway, no need to delve into the headset details, it is all true: Comes in a very cool box, is very confortable, FoV is okay, tracking is great, godrays are annoying, hoping I'll just get used to them. Looking forward to playing with it a LOT this weekend.

Now I have to decide if I want to keep or cancel my Vive order. At the very least I'll sleep on it. It's a LOT of money for such a similar product.

The good thing is that both are back ordered at this point, so if you are getting your Vive relatively soon, you could try both back to back and sell the one you don't like for a profit.

Is anyone using some HDMI extensions and not having issues? My PC is tucked into a nice crawlspace and I ran cables to my desk. But when I hook the Rift up, the screen doesn't turn on at all... Anyone have any links to something that will extend the Rift to around 15ft or so?

OMG, I just spent the last few hours in the world of Chronos. This game is a MUST buy! I felt like a kid anticipating every corner I turn. Exploring it's beauty. I'm in love. We really need breakout threads for some of these games. Not sure if I can do any of them justice.

Zaptruder

Banned
OMG, I just spent the last few hours in the world of Chronos. This game is a MUST buy! I felt like a kid anticipating every corner I turn. Exploring it's beauty. I'm in love. We really need breakout threads for some of these games. Not sure if I can do any of them justice.

Chronos is like a mix of Resident Evil, Dark Souls, Zelda and Ico. Good fun stuff. It'll be one of those games that will develop a good cult following in the years to come.

Faith

After nearly a month of waiting they finally answered my ticket.

Hello Stefan,

My apologies for the delayed response and for the confusion this cancellation has caused.

While we are unable to provide any details regarding specific order cancellations, we value your time in the Oculus community and effort in helping us bring VR to the rest of the world.

If you create a new order using a verified PayPal account, we'll make certain to insert it back into your original place in line.

We greatly appreciate your support and enthusiasm for VR, and look forward to hearing from you.

With warm regards,

Bob
Oculus Support
I'm not sure what I should do. I already preordered the Vive because they pissed me off.

Chronos gives me serious Knightmare vibes, for any other 90s kids. It's excellent though, they've put some serious thought into the pacing of the game and the puzzles are very good, though of a point and click vibe rather than Zelda block puzzles.

The "Your PC does not meet the recommended specs" text is such bullshit. It's always there, and isn't even true; it thinks my CPU isn't sufficient but I have a 3930K @ 4.7Ghz...

The "Your PC does not meet the recommended specs" text is such bullshit. It's always there, and isn't even true; it thinks my CPU isn't sufficient but I have a 3930K @ 4.7Ghz...

It doesn't meet their spec even though it's fine. They really need to let you turn off that warning.

newsguy

So what's up with the standalone retail units? I had a spirited conversation in this very thread about doubting highly those would be in stores this April. Any updates? I know the bundles are slated for this month, but Oculus stated they would have just the headsets out in retail this month as well.

So what's up with the standalone retail units? I had a spirited conversation in this very thread about doubting highly those would be in stores this April. Any updates? I know the bundles are slated for this month, but Oculus stated they would have just the headsets out in retail this month as well.

I doubt it at this point.

Got my Rift, woohoo!
Of course it's useless until I finish work and go home, but, still, pretty damn exciting.

The box is, as described, super damn nice.

vermadas

I played about 45 min of Ethan Carter last night while standing without comfort mode turned on. I felt fine. Good to know I'm resilient to VR sickness. It doesn't make sense to me though, since I'm prone to nausea when reading in a moving vehicle.

The positional tracking in Ethan Carter felt really off. As far as stereo goes, everything was scaled fine. But all my positional movement was extremely understated. I also had an issue with the narrator captioning only showing up for my left eye. I turned up the resolution scaling to 130% and it ran fine on my 980ti. I thought the game looked gorgeous.

Also, a heads up from reddit about fixing an issue where blacks aren't pure black:

On initially plugging in my Rift, the image at first was a bit disappointing: black areas were a VERY obvious light grey, and colours were pretty washed out. And with the Rift removed and 'off', light could clearly be seen coming from the lenses.
Symptoms were very similar to those of the DK1/DK2 in Extended mode when output was set to TV levels rather than PC levels (16-236 output range rather than 0-255). Direct Mode was supposed to solve this (among other display configuration issues), but it appears that having gone through every public SDK version on this particular OS install (and a transition from Windows 8.1 to 10 at some point along the way) some flag must have incorrectly been left set somewhere. With the Rift only available in Direct Mode there is no manual option to set levels.
Downloading and re-installing the Nvidia driver with 'perform a clean install' selected will immediately resolve the issue, without a reboot required. I assume there is a similar way to reinstall AMD's drivers.
::EDIT:: The easy way to identify if this is an issue you are experiencing is to take the Rift off after it has been displaying something (e.g. Home) while in a dark room. If you can still see light coming from the lenses even with the screens "off", then you are experiencing this issue. If the lenses are completely dark, then you are not.

Received my Rift with a broken HDMI connector :(

It's been over a day and no response from Oculus Support. I kind of wish I cancelled my preorder and went with the Vive.

There isn't even a telephone number for tech support or customer service.

Soi-Fong

They're having trouble filling just preorders. I wouldn't get my hopes up for a retail release anytime soon.

Kusagari

I think we'll be lucky to see that by November at this point.

Enordash

I played about 45 min of Ethan Carter last night while standing without comfort mode turned on. I felt fine. Good to know I'm resilient to VR sickness. It doesn't make sense to me though, since I'm prone to nausea when reading in a moving vehicle.

The positional tracking in Ethan Carter felt really off. As far as stereo goes, everything was scaled fine. But all my positional movement was extremely understated. I also had an issue with the narrator captioning only showing up for my left eye. I turned up the resolution scaling to 130% and it ran fine on my 980ti. I thought the game looked gorgeous.

Is there a drastic visual difference between a game that was designed initially for VR and a game with it patched in? I suppose it's not like when movies have 3D added in post processing rather than being shot in 3D.

vermadas

Is there a drastic visual difference between a game that was designed initially for VR and a game with it patched in? I suppose it's not like when movies have 3D added in post processing rather than being shot in 3D.

Graphically intensive games typically have to dial back their image quality enhancements to be performant in VR. I've found a worrying trend in all the games I've played so far, where graphics options are boiled down to presets (low, med, high) without the option to get finer granularity. In Ethan Carter's case it's worse; all you get access to is resolution scaling. The only exception to this that I've seen so far is Project Cars.

Other than that, it's kind of like going into first-person view in games built for third-person. Textures that might have been fine from a distance might not look that great when viewed in VR, where they are more easily scrutinized.

It's been over a day and no response from Oculus Support. I kind of wish I cancelled my preorder and went with the Vive.

It's probably easier to content one of their people through Twitter or Reddit than deal with their actual support email.

Wallach

Well, luckily it shouldn't be that hard to address since that cable is detachable. Ideally they'd just ship you a replacement cable.

Well, luckily it shouldn't be that hard to address since that cable is detachable. Ideally they'd just ship you a replacement cable.

A reddit user with the same issue said they made him send his cable to them first before they sent him a replacement (12 day process).

I'm hoping they will just send the cable, but support has not yet responded to the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom