• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

A reddit user with the same issue said they made him send his cable to them first before they sent him a replacement (12 day process).

I'm hoping they will just send the cable, but support has not yet responded to the ticket.

That seems unnecessary, jeez. Hope you get it sorted faster than that.

Tried using Open Broadcaster Software to capture Oculus Rift footage, but it doesn't come up in any of the sources. Is the only way to get footage right now by screen capturing whatever window pops up when running a game?

I am able to record high-quality Gear VR footage (both with my own method and a built-in method they added). I wonder if they will add a built-in method to the Oculus soon.

I just want to know whether this is just a thing with my rift or with the rift in general.

When I sway my head from side to side I get this ghosting effect. It's most obvious when i'm in that white menu that you get to when you press the xbox button (oculus home button). Can someone confirm this? Go to that menu, sway your head side to side, and see if the black buttons leave a ghosting effect.

BizzyBum

Got an e-mail saying mine isn't shipping until the end of June.

I'm honestly fine with that. I'm waiting for the GTX 1080 to come out and build a new rig.

I just want to know whether this is just a thing with my rift or with the rift in general.

When I sway my head from side to side I get this ghosting effect. It's most obvious when i'm in that white menu that you get to when you press the xbox button (oculus home button). Can someone confirm this? Go to that menu, sway your head side to side, and see if the black buttons leave a ghosting effect.
I don't have the final Oculus Rift yet (I have a DK2), but to me that sounds like the "black smearing" effect, which happens on the Rift when apps use "blacker than black". Another issue that it might be, glare/godrays, which is a bright smear that happens when something really bright appears against something really dark. These are two things that happen on the final Oculus Rift.

lmimmfn

That's normal, its the god ray effect, its a lot worse than I thought it would be as it affects 90% of scenes, not just white on black. Its awful if you move your head in a circular motion. Guess we have to live with it, I'm hoping I get used to it, I'd prefer DK2 SDE to god rays

Enordash

That's normal, its the god ray effect, its a lot worse than I thought it would be as it affects 90% of scenes, not just white on black. Its awful if you move your head in a circular motion. Guess we have to live with it, I'm hoping I get used to it, I'd prefer DK2 SDE to god rays

The ghosting is really that bad? Do we know if it's bad across all three major headsets?

lmimmfn

The ghosting is really that bad? Do we know if it's bad across all three major headsets?
Its more annoying than bad, if you get hyper into a game like project cars you dont notice it but in something slower its really stands out.

I havnt got a vive to compare, but apparently its not as bad but when it happens on the vive the circles of the Fresnel lenses become visible. I don't think psvr is using Fresnel lenses, I could be wrong, if its not it won't have the issue.

I don't think any Rifts shipped yesterday to any region. US warehouse is out of stock. We are deep into the effects of the component shortage. Hopefully Monday.

Its more annoying than bad, if you get hyper into a game like project cars you dont notice it but in something slower its really stands out.

I havnt got a vive to compare, but apparently its not as bad but when it happens on the vive the circles of the Fresnel lenses become visible. I don't think psvr is using Fresnel lenses, I could be wrong, if its not it won't have the issue.
It sounds like Enordash is describing black smear, not god rays.

Enordash

I should have clarified as it seems like we have a couple conversations going on at once. I've read a lot about the god rays between the headsets, but I haven't heard as much about the black smear / ghosting issues.

lmimmfn

There shouldn't be any black smear at least with CV1, last I heard its using a software solution to never show true black. I certainly havnt seen any with 8-9 hours usage of cv1 and it was easy to see in dk2

Donnie

That's a real pain in the ass.

When my DK2 broke they sent me a new DK2 and then asked for me to return the broken one afterwards. Yet they're asking for something as small as cables to be sent back first now, suppise maybe he just got unlucky with the support person dealing with the situation?

When my DK2 broke they sent me a new DK2 and then asked for me to return the broken one afterwards. Yet they're asking for something as small as cables to be sent back first now, suppise maybe he just got unlucky with the support person dealing with the situation?

I was reading through the Oculus subreddit today and one person said they had a new unit (CV1) sent out before they even returned their own. Not sure what is going on in this case but maybe trying to talking with another support person would help.

lmimmfn

Are you sure about that? I believe Oculus has said before that they would be implementing a software solution. I took that to mean their drivers or the SDK.
Yep, its supposed to be blocked in the SDK, havnt heard anyone complain about it with 1.3 and elite and that was one of the worst offenders

amrod

Today I learned even all prices on the store are in USD, even when Canada is set to your country in profile and for Credit Card

$67 for chronos ...

On a side note, the game isn't too great if you can't move your neck much like me since the room views are from one point and you turn your head quite a bit to see from one side to the other

rnaud

New sharing of issues, if you have a ps4 controller plugged in the xbox one will stop working for Lucky's Tale. Took me forever to figure this one out.

Also I tried Adrift yesterday. It's really impressive and immersive. You really feel alone all up in space. Other than that it seems quite easy to get lost. I'm trying to figure it out.

I hosted a VR testing sessions yesterday, a bunch of smiles on everyone's face.

Also Radial-G has come quite a long way, I tested a harder track yesterday, really really impressive, I think this is one of my favorite game on it.

Enordash

New sharing of issues, if you have a ps4 controller plugged in the xbox one will stop working for Lucky's Tale. Took me forever to figure this one out.

Also I tried Adrift yesterday. It's really impressive and immersive. You really feel alone all up in space. Other than that it seems quite easy to get lost. I'm trying to figure it out.

I hosted a VR testing sessions yesterday, a bunch of smiles on everyone's face.

Also Radial-G has come quite a long way, I tested a harder track yesterday, really really impressive, I think this is one of my favorite game on it.

Which view did you use in Radial-G? It looked like it may be one to cause some motion sickness.

Are you perchance hearing it in The FOO Show? I ask because I was, and it was driving me insane until I realized it was just part of the recorded voiceover.

No, in other stuff. Anyway, I worked it out - it was the on-board USB ports I was using to plug in the headset. Switching to a front port fixed it.

So, anyone used an HDMI splitter with the Rift? My card has only one HDMI port and I use that to connect to my home theater. Will I be able to use a splitter so as not to have to change cables every time I want to see something on my TV?

Jack John

I'm so bummed about this whole launch.

I was one of those early :06 preorders (the second I could actually get on the site) and got a March pre-order date. And then I became one of those people incessantly refreshing the live shipping updates on Reddit.

And now with the latest email of the delays possibly into May-- I'm so excited to get my hands on it but it's definitely put a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm so bummed about this whole launch.

I was one of those early :06 preorders (the second I could actually get on the site) and got a March pre-order date. And then I became one of those people incessantly refreshing the live shipping updates on Reddit.

And now with the latest email of the delays possibly into May-- I'm so excited to get my hands on it but it's definitely put a sour taste in my mouth.
Strange to see :06 preorders still unfulfilled, when lots of people are receiving deliveries having preordered several minutes after you. Understandable that it varies by country, but there seems to be more inconsistency than that.

Argyle

So, anyone used an HDMI splitter with the Rift? My card has only one HDMI port and I use that to connect to my home theater. Will I be able to use a splitter so as not to have to change cables every time I want to see something on my TV?

I'm pretty sure this isn't going to work, maybe try using an adapter like DisplayPort to HDMI for either the Rift or your home theater...

Jack John

Strange to see :06 preorders still unfulfilled, when lots of people are receiving deliveries having preordered several minutes after you. Understandable that it varies by country, but there seems to be more inconsistency than that.

Maybe it's because I'm east coast US? Not sure. Originally I got the "your rift will be shipping in 1-3 weeks email". And then they couldn't fulfill that. Aw well at least it gives me time to play more Stardew Valley.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

US fulfillment has been essentially halted. Other countries are way past the US now.

Us :06ers from USA have been next in line for quite a while.
Sucks that I could have ordered in the first 15 minutes in the UK and had my order by now.

MS needs to get those wireless dongles out ASAP so the US orders can pick up again.

I'm pretty sure this isn't going to work, maybe try using an adapter like DisplayPort to HDMI for either the Rift or your home theater...

I guessed so. I am asking cause I read that a DP to HDMI adapter won't do it for the Rift and that it needs an HDMI port to work.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So whats the story with playing XBOX one games on the Rift via a theater mode?

Is that still a thing? Already available?

MS needs to get those wireless dongles out ASAP so the US orders can pick up again.
7Dc5l0k.gif

lmimmfn

I guessed so. I am asking cause I read that a DP to HDMI adapter won't do it for the Rift and that it needs an HDMI port to work.
No, it won't work, even my HDMI port on my 980ti wouldn't work with CV1, worked fine with DK2 and my TV and old monitor, I had to use a dvi-hdmi adapter. Can't you use DP-HDMI for your media setup?

YuShtink

So my Vive is finally shipping. I'm going to be overwhelmed with content next week.

I'm still really enjoying Chronos and Lucky's Tale. Lucky's Tale has been such a nice relaxing gaming experience that's been the perfect go-to chill game when I'm getting frustrated in Chronos. Trying to take my time with it though because I know it's only a few hours (Lucky's Tale that is). I even love spending a few minutes in the level select menu - the miniature level dioramas alone are cool to get up close and peer around at.

Always fun to stop by Farlands for 10-15 mins each day and mess around with fresh content. Another great "rest" experience to break up the intense stuff. The weird wibwom creatures parroting the stuff you say in that voice was legit shocking and hilarious the first time it happened. Lot of neat little features buried in this experience.

Other games I'm really close to picking up right now are Adrift and Defense Grid 2. But there's a lot of Vive content I want to buy too...

First world problems, I know. But my wallet is seriously going to hate me.

Also just as a side note - I feel like the Rift gets more and more comfortable every day. It slips on like a god damn glove at this point. Although no one else has used it and screwed up my calibration yet lol.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
This is not true

"This is not true"

Sounds like the Oculus subreddit (who's moderation team is likely influenced heavily by Oculus/FB). It's the simple answer; most of the time the simple solution is the right solution. Too many things line up for me to accept that line.

"This is not true"

Sounds like the Oculus subreddit (who's moderation team is likely influenced heavily by Oculus/FB). It's the simple answer; most of the time the simple solution is the right solution. Too many things line up for me to accept that line.

If this were the case, I'd expect this secretly-Oculus-run subreddit to hint that it was Microsoft's issue, as it would absolve Oculus of the blame.

If it was just the dongle, they could have thrown in a USB cable and say "use this until we ship you the dongle later."

Moreover, them saying flatly "it's not the dongle" is different than their response to other suggestions: silence.

CaLe

Is the current estimated shipment date of August for new preorders really true ? I'm torn between the rift and the Vive. Whereas I can get the Vive in May, I don't know if I can wait until August for a Rift.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
If this were the case, I'd expect this secretly-Oculus-run subreddit to hint that it was Microsoft's issue, as it would absolve Oculus of the blame.

If it was just the dongle, they could have thrown in a USB cable and say "use this until we ship you the dongle later."

Moreover, them saying flatly "it's not the dongle" is different than their response to other suggestions: silence.

I remember them saying it wasn't the controller. Why would FB throw MS under the rug. FB lawyers probably won't let that happen.

Couldn't ship with a cable because Palmer. That guy needs to turn control over to capable hands if that company hopes to remain a major player.

dysonEA

Have shipments slowed down? For a while there were a lot of reports of people getting their shipment confirmations, not as much any more it seems. I'm still waiting for mine.

Soi-Fong

Have shipments slowed down? For a while there were a lot of reports of people getting their shipment confirmations, not as much any more it seems. I'm still waiting for mine.

Vive owner here. We're all in the same boat. Honestly, I just want the Rift for Elite: Dangerous.

The Rift will be my go to cockpit VR HMD.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

We've seen an uptick in games sales the last few days if anything, though hard to know if that is in any way indicative of the numbers of hardware units reaching peoples hands.

No, it won't work, even my HDMI port on my 980ti wouldn't work with CV1, worked fine with DK2 and my TV and old monitor, I had to use a dvi-hdmi adapter. Can't you use DP-HDMI for your media setup?

Yeah, I don't know why I had assumed (erroneously) that DP does not pass sound. I read up on it and I see that it is not the case so I shouldn't have any problem. Thanks.

Vanmunt

Banned
Is the current estimated shipment date of August for new preorders really true ? I'm torn between the rift and the Vive. Whereas I can get the Vive in May, I don't know if I can wait until August for a Rift.

Best thing is to try and get your hands on both if possible. I have a rift coming but I have played on vive and it is incredible, with a massive caveat that you will need a lot of space to get the most of it. I don't so it's a rift for me.

CaLe

Best thing is to try and get your hands on both if possible. I have a rift coming but I have played on vive and it is incredible, with a massive caveat that you will need a lot of space to get the most of it. I don't so it's a rift for me.

With a baby, I can only afford one unfortunately. I do have some room, but just about 6 ft by 10 ft. I'm not sure if it's enough or not (I'm assuming not).

So I'm assuming that August really is when I would get my rift if I were to pre-order now ? Either it's really popular, or they're unable to produce those things at an acceptable rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom