• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odd PS4 external storage issue

prag16

Banned
I have an old SATA drive in an enclosure (with its own power supply) plugged into my PS4 (fat model, but not the launch model; it's that very minor revision they did before the slim).

When I have the drive turned off (the enclosure had an on / off switch), everything is fine.

When I have the drive turned on, it works fine as an external drive, but the video signal randomly cuts out for a few seconds every minute or two. And less frequently, the controllers disconnect themselves.

This ONLY happens when the hard drive is on. If I'm having these issues and I turn off the hard drive, all issues immediately go away. Anyone ever seen or heard of this? Couldn't find much via Googleing around..

Birdo

Banned
Hmm. Maybe it's the drive having it's own power supply (Compatability issue).

I know most people use drives that are powered by the console itself. Maybe try one of those.

Hmm. Maybe it's the drive having it's own power supply (Compatability issue).

I know most people use drives that are powered by the console itself. Maybe try one of those.

This. I use a sata drive that i pulled from a laptop and haven’t had this issue on my ps4.

Try a 2.5 inch drive.

prag16

Banned
Well, I don't have another drive to try at this moment. If there's some sort of compatibility issue, it's baffling to me that this is how it would manifest..

prag16

Banned
Still haven't tried a different drive, but got a longer USB cable and steered the drive much farther away from the PS4 itself, behind the TV cabinet. The issue improved, but didn't resolve completely. But yeah seems like some kind of interference. Maybe I'll look for a simple portable HDD (without a power supply) around Black Friday / Cyber Monday For now I dumped anything I give a shit about at the moment to systme storage, and am ditching the current external.

Guys please help.

I have external drive hooked up to my PS4 Pro and I have videos of gameplay saves to capture gallery.

Everytime I try to save one of my videos to a USB stick I get an error.

How does one save to a a USB with an external drive hooked up to a PS4?

I tried plugging the external and copying again but no go. This is very frustrating .

Top Bottom