• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddboxx on Steam -- warning, read thread before purchasing

Bebpo

Banned
Good job guys :) The game runs smoother and looks more professional. Game is now playable and if this is how it was on day 1 I would've been happy with my purchase.

Framerate is definitely playable on my 9800GTX+ at 1080p. Probably around 30-50fps with some stuttering around. Nothing gamebreaking and still much better than before when it was like 5-10fps.

GoldenHelmet said:
Yeah all the issues on the ATI boards are to do with their "z-buffer" OpenGL code.

For some reason, when we look at the "depth buffer" textures on the board it's screwed, but at the frame we had it off to the card it is PERFECT, right after it, it's broken.

Grrrrr

Just a heads-up in case you didn't already know: the same water glitch also appears when looking through glass windows. This may be redundant, but I thought I'd tell you, just to be safe.

stranger%202011-01-22%2004-04-59-77.jpg

stranger%202011-01-22%2004-05-18-13.jpg

Also, I don't want to seem like a dick while asking this, but since my reasonably powerful 5770 still gets sub-60 FPS at times with the older graphics at 1080p, would it be wrong to be worried about running the HD update when it's released?

wwm0nkey

Strider2K99 said:
Has it been mentioned yet that Stranger's Wrath PC is getting the HD update sometime after PSN version comes out?
Yes we will be getting the HD upgrade on PC as well. It might also come out on the 360 if Microsoft lets JAW release it (they are still in talks with MS)

Holepunch

Welp, there went my Saturday finally beating this game after never finishing the Xbox version. Still some issues with weird shadows and water effects and flickering distances. Not sure if the movement is sticky or if the game was always difficult to maintain running speed. But uhh, more importantly theres suppose to be end credits right? Mine just cut back to the main menu after the final cutscene.

Honestly guys, if this patched version came out launch day it would still be a substandard port. Sorry but it's true. Next time at least try incremental patching, it seems to work out a lot better finishing it bit by bit rather hoping one patch caught everything without breaking anything.

Edit: I guess Oddworld Inhabitants doesn't put credits at the end. Actually have to select it from the menu. Weird design choice, but I still stand this port has issues, even if it's a very difficult game to port.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Holepunch said:
Welp, there went my Saturday finally beating this game after never finishing the Xbox version. Still some issues with weird shadows and water effects and flickering distances. Not sure if the movement is sticky or if the game was always difficult to maintain running speed. But uhh, more importantly theres suppose to be end credits right? Mine just cut back to the main menu after the final cutscene.

Honestly guys, if this patched version came out launch day it would still be a substandard port. Sorry but it's true. Next time at least try incremental patching, it seems to work out a lot better finishing it bit by bit rather hoping one patch caught everything without breaking anything.

Edit: I guess Oddworld Inhabitants doesn't put credits at the end. Actually have to select it from the menu. Weird design choice, but I still stand this port has issues, even if it's a very difficult game to port.
There's a workaround for those problems but it's probably better to wait for the ATI driver updates.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
SapientWolf said:
There's a workaround for those problems but it's probably better to wait for the ATI driver updates.
Are there really? The OpenGL driver that fixed transparency issues destroyed NPC animations.

Holepunch said:

They should've just developed the HD version for the PC and ported it to the PS3. It sounds like a waste of time to develop this busted Xbox port and then add HD assets on top of it.

Teknoman

riceandbeans said:
They should've just developed the HD version for the PC and ported it to the PS3. It sounds like a waste of time to develop this busted Xbox port and then add HD assets on top of it.

There are always those purists that wont play HDified ports too. Sucks that they'll never give something like say...Bionic Commando Rearmed a chance, but they are there.

scitek

riceandbeans said:

Well, they got paid to port the game in addition to the remake.

wwm0nkey

A LOT of people (myself included) have been waiting for the oddboxx for awhile if they would have waited till the HD port was done we would have to wait till March. Personally after this patch I think its all good, the flicker errors where from trying to port the game to PC xbox games where desigend to only work with xbox, porting them over was no easy job for these guys. We have a very stable build. Play it, beat it and then wait for the HD patch.

I just got done with my play though and am very happy with it. Some parts in the game just look amazing even though it was done a generation ago. The game play really starts to pick up near the final scenes of the game and overall its still one of my favorite games.

Holepunch

SapientWolf said:
I'm running a Nvidea 9800GT. My water rendering bug isn't the same as the one in the screenshots posted, just Stranger's reflection looks really bad. Particularly by the waterfall on the path getting to the third town. Honestly though, I don't know how justified my criticisms are, when this game was poorly coded for a PC release and seeing how this is the third company to try and port it and actually get it to work. The game works mostly, some minor issues, and an HD update is on the way, how much can I complain?

I'm done my first playthrough, and I'll probably play it again once the HD updates hit. Any ideas for making a second playthrough more interesting?

Holepunch said:
Next time at least try incremental patching, it seems to work out a lot better finishing it bit by bit rather hoping one patch caught everything without breaking anything.

Yeah, I'm sure incremental patching would have solved everything.

Anyway, finally got to try out the new patch and it's definitely an improvement. I was already getting a solid 30fps and now it shot up to over a 100 easily.

I'm still using legacy nvidia drivers, not sure what will happen if I update to the latest.

epmode

Teknoman said:
There are always those purists that wont play HDified ports too. Sucks that they'll never give something like say...Bionic Commando Rearmed a chance, but they are there.
It seems more likely that it was a quick way to get some money while they finish up the PS3 version.

Also: Improved models in Stranger's Wrath is a VERY different thing than the 99% reworked Bionic Commando.

BTW, where are these people who like NES Bionic Commando but not Rearmed? I want to laugh at them.

bengraven

Hm, I think I'll wait for the HD update in the summer.

Not just from a graphics perspective, but since some of you have my same video card (N 9800GT) and are having issues, I'd rather wait until everything is smoothed out.

Moobabe

I've decided to give this a bash using my ps3 control with the motionjoy drivers - however it doesn't seem to work:

The right analogue stick doesn't work
Select switches view modes
L1 is punch, L2 is look up in first person mode
R1 fires right hand ammo, R2 looks down
START fires my left hand ammo :S

Has anyone got motionjoy working with this? I'm happy to play with kb+m but this would be more comfortable for me

epmode

It's been mentioned in this thread quite a few times already. Don't use any 360 pad emulation software since the game no longer uses xinput. Instead, edit the game's config.txt file configuration file which can be found somewhere in Windows' Documents folder.

Moobabe

epmode said:
It's been mentioned in this thread quite a few times already. Don't use any 360 pad emulation software since the game no longer uses xinput. Instead, edit the game's config.txt file configuration file which can be found somewhere in Windows' Documents folder.

Excellent, thanks.

ArjanN

riceandbeans said:

Well, A, it's not really busted anymore.

And B, as far as I know the PS3 version will is basically going to be the same game with HD assets on top as well. As far as I know they're not really changing anything about the core game, it's just better textures and models and such.

Fredescu

I played this a little bit post patch and I'm kinda surprised by how good it looks. It's getting a texture update soon too? Very nice.

I don't know if it's just me, or some setting that I'm overlooking, but is the Y axis inverted in first person and normal in third person? I spent a while getting the wireless 360 pad working and I seem to have fixed everything but that.

MNC

What if this version runs great on older systems, but the HD version won't? :( WIll there be toggling? I doubt they'll have double the assets

wwm0nkey

MNC said:
What if this version runs great on older systems, but the HD version won't? :( WIll there be toggling? I doubt they'll have double the assets
Im sure it will go by the Low, Medium and High rule. Low being the version we currently have.

epmode said:
It seems more likely that it was a quick way to get some money while they finish up the PS3 version.

Hey guys,
Just an FYI for you all...

Apparently the Oddboxx was originally announced in 2009, for release Xmas 2009.

We didn't start working with OWI until 2010, and it was to fix, what 2 other developers could not do back in 2009.

So whilst you say it was quick money make for the PS3 version, not so, we'd already planned and licensed the game for the PS3 version, OWI came to us after we started PS3 and asked if we could do the PC version for them to help them.

Fredescu said:
I played this a little bit post patch and I'm kinda surprised by how good it looks. It's getting a texture update soon too? Very nice.

I don't know if it's just me, or some setting that I'm overlooking, but is the Y axis inverted in first person and normal in third person? I spent a while getting the wireless 360 pad working and I seem to have fixed everything but that.

That's weird, but also, that's how the original XBox version functions. The only thing we did for the controls, was add "PC" input modes, the complete functionality is as the original. :-/

Weird.

wwm0nkey said:
Im sure it will go by the Low, Medium and High rule. Low being the version we currently have.

Let me put it this way.

We can already run the bulk of the new models in the PC version, and there is ZERO FPS difference, as the FPS limitations are nothing to do with models, but rather the format that the data is stored in.

A lot of it is stored in "chunks" etc that were optimised for XBox's architecture. We are reworking the tools/build process for the actual PS3 version of the game, which will actually mean there are LESS assets in the PS3 than there are in the Xbox/PC.

The game works in such a way that instead of pulling data from a central "asset tank" it includes whatever textures/models/audio is required in level X in the data for level X, so you might have the same textures etc repeated MANY times within the data.

Now with modern systems, we don't have to do that anymore, as games run from HDD not disc, AND machines have more memory too. So you don't have to worry so much about conserving as much memory as possible.

Teknoman

epmode said:

Also: Improved models in Stranger's Wrath is a VERY different thing than the 99% reworked Bionic Commando.

BTW, where are these people who like NES Bionic Commando but not Rearmed? I want to laugh at them.

I remember people complaining about it in the BC:R official topic/related topics, but then again "This is NeoGAF".

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm getting 32 fps consistently with my 8800GTs in SLI @ 1920x1080. Is this what other people are getting?

Might want to disable in-game vsync and force it using something else. You should jump up to at least 60fps.

My friend is on a 9500gt which is not as good as a 8800gt and gets over 60 with forced 16xAF.

LocoMrPollock said:
Might want to disable in-game vsync and force it using something else. You should jump up to at least 60fps.

My friend is on a 9500gt which is not as good as a 8800gt and gets over 60 with forced 16xAF.
I don't have Vsync on. :(

Psy-Phi

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm getting 32 fps consistently with my 8800GTs in SLI @ 1920x1080. Is this what other people are getting?
Try with just one GPU, wouldn't be the first game yo get worse performance with SLI.

Psy-Phi said:
Try with just one GPU, wouldn't be the first game yo get worse performance with SLI.

Ya, I'm going to do that soon. I thought I remembered some here still rocking the 8800GT so I was curious what they were getting.

wwm0nkey said:
So did the new ATI Catalyst drives help anyone?
Just installed the new drivers, and it didn't appear to fix the transparency issue with SW.

http://htwkca.blu.livefilestore.com/y1psGlCU7yjnD6-n-WbAv9au5doLEiMp-sVkPn3uDt3uizW1M_7OZK8ji6VfWMn-z35hvfgVkJRVGXG1JR4kLEjDiepdar0k5RH/stranger.exe_2011-02-15-02-01-50-111.bmp?psid=1

I didn't compress the image so I didn't want to post a 7MB image in this thread.

I'm still just going to wait for the HD update, maybe that will fix this issue.(hopefully?)

Side question, but early announcements about the Oddboxx said that the Abe games would have Steam achievements patched in. Any word on that?

wwm0nkey

Ok so did the newest ATI drives help or is it pretty much a no go for them?

Oh also apparently the 2GB limit isnt a problem for the 360 anymore according to the JAWltd twitter, dont know if this means MS is increasing the size or what.

I don't know if it's the latest patch or something related to the way the game saves/loads, but oddly enough, upon booting up Stranger's Wrath this last time, I was at a part with water. Water, if you'll recall from my previous posts, has the detrimental effect of crippling my framerate (we're literally talking 1fps here).

Except this time, upon loading my game at the section with water, the framerate was fine. I figured JAW had done something to finally fix this issue for me, an proceeded to fire fuzzles at the outlaws, and they jumped in the water and drowned.

Once the outlaws die, it goes to a cutscene telling you to lay a trap for the next group that will be coming through the doors. The exact moment this cutscene began, the framerate shit the bed again and remained at 1fps until, once again, water wasn't on screen anymore.

As far as I could tell, nothing visually changed with the water, so I don't think it was switching to some sort of higher-quality shader or anything.

Top Bottom