• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld: Soulstorm Enhanced Edition Release Date Trailer

Skifi28

Has it been that long? Does it really need that much enhancing? I thought it was fine more or less.

And what are the enhancements exactly? The trailer says nothing.
The game looked like a massive pile of doo doo that ran poorly on the PS4 when it came out and it was really buggy as well.

I believe these are the next gen versions that make it much more playable and enjoyable for the PS5 and Series X.

Then again, this is what you get when you use a shit tier engine like Unity. Really sad, cause it could have been good.

And yes I know Ori 1 and 2 uses Unity and is beautiful but its a completely different art style and not 2D. Unity has issues when it comes 3D stuff.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I believe these are the next gen versions that make it much more playable and enjoyable for the PS5 and Series X.
There was already a next-gen version that ran great and looked pretty ok on PS5. I have to imagine most enhancements are quality of life /gameplay stuff.

Last edited:
There was already a next-gen version that ran great and looked pretty ok.
I think you are right, i did play it on PS5 and it wasn't that well optimized :/

I believe the enhanced edition is a free upgrade because they knew they fucked up. But I could be wrong.

I used to be a BIG fan of Oddworld Inhabitants but over the decades they went down the shutter.

Oddworkd Stranger's Wrath and Oddworld Munch's Oddysey were all amazing games and the original Abe ones too. I miss them :/ I would kill for a proper remake.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
And what are the enhancements exactly? The trailer says nothing.
Oddworld: Soulstorm Enhanced Edition "includes drastically improved gameplay mechanics and movement code," Microids explains. There are also audio balancing improvements, improved Slig and follower AI (smarter and more responsive), as well as all previously released updates and new content. Oddworld Inhabitants also promises a more polished game.

What’s Soulstorm‘s brand new content?

Oddworld: Soulstorm Enhanced Edition‘s new content is a separate challenge game mode accessed via the main menu once you complete the game.

Xbox players will go hands-on with “Vykkers Labs,” a throwback to classic Oddworld 2.5D gameplay featuring short puzzle-filled levels. Earn leaderboard prestige for speed runs or zero-death performances. For those who don’t recall, Vykkers Labs is a large airborne lab used for pharmaceutical testing on animals and run by the sadistic Vykkers.

PlayStation and Epic Games Store players will experience “Toby’s Escape.” Like Vykkers, it is a throwback to classic Oddworld gaming short puzzle-filled levels to master. If you have played Soulstorm, you’ll know Toby from the train, but how did Toby escape RuptureFarms and become the train’s conductor…find out in Toby’s Escape.

What if you already own Oddworld: Soulstorm?

For the millions of gamers who already own Oddworld: Soulstorm on PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store, you will receive the Enhanced Edition as a free update.

Pre-Order for Xbox

Oddworld: Soulstorm Enhanced Edition is available at retailers and online at Xbox.com for pre-order. The physical retail edition is available in both standard and Collector’s Edition which comes with an exclusive embossed metal case, nine-inch Abe figurine, 160-page art book, three art prints, a mining company keychain, tattoo, and tribal stickers.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Neat. I picked this up on EGS earlier in the year but didn't play it a great deal. I didn't have any performance issues (go pee cee), but if there's a major polish update probably just as well I waited.

skit_data

Loved Abe’s Oddysee and Exoddus. New ’n Tasty was ok but the atmosphere was almost entirely lost. In Soulstorm they lost me in the gameplay too. I was really disappointed.

CitizenZ

Banned
Wasnt it a showcase for the PS5 when it was announced? FFS tired of this shit, no wonder they die on release date.

Markio128

Cool. I’ll give it another try. I think it got lost amongst other bigger games at the time of release, even though it did come with PS+.

chigstoke

I was extremely looking forward to Soulstorm, but it just did not capture me like the more traditional experiences of Oddysee, Exoddus or the New N Tasty remake. Sounds like the Toby’s Escape addition is more up my street.

Regardless, I need to make an attempt to get back into the game and give it another go, hopefully it’ll grow on me some more.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Oddworld: Soulstorm is coming to Xbox for the first time and the brand new Enhanced Edition features new content only found on Xbox - Vykkers Labs. Take Abe on an epic quest for freedom and truth through a whole host of weird and wonderful environments. Whether you like to sneak your way to safety or take everything head on, your fellow Mudokons are relying on you to be their savior.

SkylineRKR

I like this game. Finished it on PS5 but didn't get the good ending because I still need to redo some stages. But the game can be absolutely frustrating, still the same could be said of the old Oddworld games. The crafting was actually not bad; it means you have some sort of a ticket out, you can also complete lots of stages with just throwing rocks.

The engine is its biggest issue.

Top Bottom